Constant Image Height 2.35:1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brief review of the Shcneider Anamorphic lens on Projector Central.

Projector Central Schneider Optics Lens Review

Should provoke some discussion considering they bag every other anamorphic lens on the planet... :blink:

A good lens no doubt, but also one of the more expensive on the market.

And even if they manage to avoid those flaws, they can still introduce a subtle oily texture to the image

I wonder who "oily" was aimed at given that Panamorph have not used oil filled prisms for a number of years...

Mark

It sounds to me like Evan from ProjectorCentral is a bit of n00b when it comes to CIH. He even says that he hasn't looked at CIH for several years, so he's basing his broadbrush statements on what was available back then.... and we already know that the lenses back then were very ordinary.

It would be good if Evan had taken the time to also check out some of the other current offerings, sure they may not be 100% perfect, but the problems that he speaks of are not an issue any more.

It could be a more general reference to the chromatic abberation that occurs on a lot of lenses.

I wouldn't call CA "oily" but get the idea of the oil slick on water idea.

It sounds to me like Evan from ProjectorCentral is a bit of n00b when it comes to CIH. He even says that he hasn't looked at CIH for several years, so he's basing his broadbrush statements on what was available back then.... and we already know that the lenses back then were very ordinary.

It would be good if Evan had taken the time to also check out some of the other current offerings, sure they may not be 100% perfect, but the problems that he speaks of are not an issue any more.

Agreed :blink: and in fact he needs to look at lenses from a wider price angle than just the top end...

Mark

Sort of on topic for this thread and should be of interest to some ppl here - I read today that Marantz are releasing a lens and sled option shortly for the S4.

Since the S4 uses the same Genum chip as the Crystalio 2 it can already do the squeeze without the need for an external scaler.

No idea on pricing as yet.

Sort of on topic for this thread and should be of interest to some ppl here - I read today that Marantz are releasing a lens and sled option shortly for the S4.

Since the S4 uses the same Genum chip as the Crystalio 2 it can already do the squeeze without the need for an external scaler.

No idea on pricing as yet.

There is strong reason to believes that it is the Panamorph UH380 HE lens and M380 Sled as a combo, so around $5K+ US on top of the projector...

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
NICE Mark! great effort again. This will likely work for me on my rear wall mount -cool

How much for a sled please -and are you selling them?

Hey Norpus,

I'd like to make this part of the whole system. I've over engineered the rig for large projectors like yours.

I'm still working out some bugs and a final price but will let you know ASAP...

Mark

Mark,

In you blog you note,

There are no black bars [or light spill] at the top or bottom of the image allowing you to re-create that deluxe wide screen experience in your home. These shots are a good indication of the levels of CA and pincushion you might expect to see

Would it be possible to quantify how much CA is induced as for pincushion, I don't see much from the photos?

For all those really wanting a "pass through mode" THIS might just be the answer...

Mark

Ahh God Bless 'our very own' Mark Techer...

...the gift to this forum that just keeps giving!

Your a truly dedicated CIH warior and something of a genius in my book!

Hehehe feel free to use that as a testimonial anytime you like :blink:

Mark,

In you blog you note,

Would it be possible to quantify how much CA is induced as for pincushion, I don't see much from the photos?

The greater the throw length in comparison to displayed image size the lower the CA and pincushion will be. Consider that the lens introduces a degreee of angulation to an incident beam.... The greater the zoom required to achieve a desired screen size (i.e. accounting for shorter throw length), the greater the difference will be between incident 'beams' of light from the pj when they leave the lens and hit the screen.

If you recall your high school prism games where you created the primary colours by shining light through a prism you will recall that this effect is ceated by the incident angles and shape of the prism which bends light differently at different wavelengths. Marks lens will begin to do this as well and if the angles become too great it becomes visible to our eyes.

That's my take in it at any rate :blink:.

For all those really wanting a "pass through mode" THIS might just be the answer...

Mark

Cool, nice work Mark... simple and effective.

Are they drawer runners?

When I was building up my lens sled, I was going to use some 19" rack mount slides. Sometimes the simple method is the easiest!

Michael.

Hehehe feel free to use that as a testimonial anytime you like :D

:blink:

I couldn't agree more, Mark's efforts have almost singlehandedly forced the big players to bring out budget models. :P

Really? Which budget models?

The Prismasonic H300M and H700M and the Panamorph U85... although they're still more than 3 times the price of the Aussiemorphic after all ancilliary costs are applied, and their prisms are still too small for a large number of projectors.

EDIT: I suppose I should have been a little less liberal with the use of the term "budget models" :blink:

Mark,

In you blog you note,

For a basic two prism lens, there is not that much to be seen. Granted it is there, but mostly at the edges and very dependant on the image itself. All anamorphic lenses produce some CA, as it a part of the physics of bending light, but as the photos show, the CA is limited.

The amount of CA also lessens with a longer throw ratio, as does pincushion. My set up is probably the worst case at just 1.3:1, so by 2.0 or better, the amount of optical distortions is greatly reduced...

Hehehe feel free to use that as a testimonial anytime you like :P

Thank you :blink:

The greater the throw length in comparison to displayed image size the lower the CA and pincushion will be. Consider that the lens introduces a degreee of angulation to an incident beam.... The greater the zoom required to achieve a desired screen size (i.e. accounting for shorter throw length), the greater the difference will be between incident 'beams' of light from the pj when they leave the lens and hit the screen.

If you recall your high school prism games where you created the primary colours by shining light through a prism you will recall that this effect is ceated by the incident angles and shape of the prism which bends light differently at different wavelengths. Marks lens will begin to do this as well and if the angles become too great it becomes visible to our eyes.

That's my take in it at any rate :D.

Well said :P

Cool, nice work Mark... simple and effective.

Are they drawer runners?

When I was building up my lens sled, I was going to use some 19" rack mount slides. Sometimes the simple method is the easiest!

Michael.

Yes they are, but I am looking for a higher quality version for the "marketable" version. I am also looking into a 12V "ram" that will move the lens in and out by a switch, that could be (maybe) remote opperated. But lets not too far ahead of ourselves...

Mark

Yes they are, but I am looking for a higher quality version for the "marketable" version. I am also looking into a 12V "ram" that will move the lens in and out by a switch, that could be (maybe) remote opperated. But lets not too far ahead of ourselves...

Mark

Great, manual is just fine for me Mark

I am up for beta testing :blink: