Sign in to follow this  
Digital Addict

Magnavox MLCD32

As I reported earlier in the thread, I have about 15-20 stuck pixels - mostly white, a few red. (Or maybe they are "sub-pixels" - is that possible? Some are pretty tiny I must say.) The unit I have at the moment is a replacement unit - the first I had already returned because it had one dead pixel, and about 6 stuck on white.

I have reported the situation to my friendly local KMart sales assistant, who has ordered another replacement for me. She offered me a refund if I preferred, but I said I'd give it one last go.

Picked up my replacement unit yesterday. Fired it up and immediately noticed one stuck (white) pixel. But that's a vast improvement on the 15-20 stuck pixels that I had on the previous unit, so I was happy. Everything was going nicely until I tried watching a movie in a darkened room last night. When the credits came on (with a black background), I noticed quite heavy backlight bleed coming from every corner of the screen. So instead of a black screen, I had what I would call "black with gray corners". Tried adjusting brightness and contrast, but that didn't seem to make much difference. GRRRRR...

Any suggestions anyone? Is there some other picture adjustment I could try?

Cheers

vB

G'day,

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago (when they were on special at Kmart) and have it connected to my Nextwave PVR 3690.

It took a while to get a decent connection (yeah the Magnavox manual is crap) but I ended up using a good quality SCART to RGB+audio cable (Concord WQ7255) to connect between the TV SCART on the Nextwave and the YCbCr/YPbPr and Audio inputs on the MLCD32. I then set both the Nextwave and MLCD32 to use YPbPr.

I also connect a video player to the Full SCART which uses composite. This picture isn't that good but I'm only using it to watch some old tapes then I will be ditching the video.

I also tried connecting from my Mac laptop (which has a DVI output) to the DVI on the MLCD32 but regardless of what I set the Mac too I was unable to get a picture. This might be because the DVI's are different (don't you love standards, so many to choose from). I will see if I can borrow another DVI-DVI cable and try again some other time.

All in all I'm very happy with the MLCD32. I have not seen any stuck pixels - but then again I don't use it with my laptop so I might be missing some, but as a TV it is great - and at the sale price it's (IMHO) a bargain. Then again I've only had it for 3 weeks - time will tell :-)

BTW if anyone has got the SCART play thru working on the Nextwave I'd love to hear from you.

I bought a magnavox LCD 66 cm tv a week ago (MLCD26) and it was working fine until this morning. I was watching it in 4:3 and it started to go green. I black bar around the image went complety bright green and the image itself was flecked with green. It got progressively worse and the image was terrible. However all of a sudden it went back to normal. This lasted about 20 minutes maybe. Up until then there was no problems at all. Now it seems to work fine. Anyone got any idea what might have caused it? :blink:

Edit: second day in a row it is doing this about the same time too. Weird.

S-Video seems to not work on any of the 66cm Models. I got an instant replacement when I told K-Mart, but S-Video still refused to work. Looks like it must conflict with one of the other connections, I'll just have to get a SCART convertor that accepts S-Video.

My 2nd Unit is Dead Pixel Free. Sound & Picture Quality is excellent I have found. Worth it for the low price :blink:

S-Video seems to not work on any of the 66cm Models. I got an instant replacement when I told K-Mart, but S-Video still refused to work. Looks like it must conflict with one of the other connections, I'll just have to get a SCART convertor that accepts S-Video.

My 2nd Unit is Dead Pixel Free. Sound & Picture Quality is excellent I have found. Worth it for the low price :blink:

I got an S-video B&W picture but had to use the "S-video" display setting not the "Side AV" setting even though it was connected to the side. Still got the audio from the side. Also found a component connection tends to disrupt other connections.

SteveO

Picked up my replacement unit yesterday. Fired it up and immediately noticed one stuck (white) pixel. But that's a vast improvement on the 15-20 stuck pixels that I had on the previous unit, so I was happy. Everything was going nicely until I tried watching a movie in a darkened room last night. When the credits came on (with a black background), I noticed quite heavy backlight bleed coming from every corner of the screen. So instead of a black screen, I had what I would call "black with gray corners". Tried adjusting brightness and contrast, but that didn't seem to make much difference. GRRRRR...

Any suggestions anyone? Is there some other picture adjustment I could try?

Cheers

vB

An update on my backlight bleed issue. Strangely, it appears to have gone away now... is that actually possible? Or maybe it has spread to the whole screen?! Either way, a black screen looks even now (whereas before it looked uneven/patchy), so I am happy. And whilst the black is not particularly black (looks more like gray compared to what I am used to seeing on my old CRT set), it is acceptable.

Cheers

vB

An update on my backlight bleed issue. Strangely, it appears to have gone away now... is that actually possible? Or maybe it has spread to the whole screen?! Either way, a black screen looks even now (whereas before it looked uneven/patchy), so I am happy. And whilst the black is not particularly black (looks more like gray compared to what I am used to seeing on my old CRT set), it is acceptable.

Cheers

vB

Not sure which input you are using. With DVI you need to reduce brightness to get good blacks and strong colours.

SteveO

Not sure which input you are using. With DVI you need to reduce brightness to get good blacks and strong colours.

SteveO

At the moment I am using VGA from my PC. No matter how far I turn the brightness down, a black screen does not look very black to me. (If I open a light coloured window on the black background, then that is a different story - the black then looks quite good, because of the contrast with the lighter window.)

Cheers

vB

Looking at getting the MLCD26, but being a bit of a noob I have a couple of questions

At the moment we have a VCR, DVD and 360

Will I be able to connect these to the MLCD26 without the need for extra units?

Can you watch SD TV on this unit as is, or do you need an extra device

Thanks

Looking at getting the MLCD26, but being a bit of a noob I have a couple of questions

At the moment we have a VCR, DVD and 360

Will I be able to connect these to the MLCD26 without the need for extra units?

Can you watch SD TV on this unit as is, or do you need an extra device

Thanks

Depending on the outputs from your devices you should be able to connect all three devices without a switch. However you wont be able to connect both the xbox and DVD via component as there is only one input.

For SD you will need a STB as the inbuilt tuner is only analogue.

If you go down the STB route you need to also consider the connections as there is only one component video input.

SteveO

So could I connect the xbox via vga and the dvd via component?

For SD, what is a good STB that will allow me to pick up the free to air digital, as well as SD broadcasts

Sorry for all the questions

So could I connect the xbox via vga and the dvd via component?

For SD, what is a good STB that will allow me to pick up the free to air digital, as well as SD broadcasts

Sorry for all the questions

Yes you could connect xbox via VGA and DVD via component.

The TV also has a DVI input. I would look for an HD STB that has a DVI connection to get the best possible picture. An STB with HDMI will also work if you buy an

HDMI ->DVI cable or convertor.

SteveO

Hi.Totally new to LCD's so if I'm out of line let me know.I just purchased an Magnavox MLCD32 from Kmart for $1299.Seems like a good deal after a bit of looking around.You get what you pay for but sometimes you still want a good deal.

I think the TV lookes good but have a few queries.I am running the TV thru a Space SD box thru the Scart which is set to RGB whick I find is a lot darker than the CVBS option.I have spent some time adjusting the brightness,contrast,colour so on but I find some things strange.White and bright colors stand out so much it can be distracting while other channels look too dark.Pictuer quality is good it just seems to be brightness and colour differences on screen that is problem.Also I run an LG DVD thru component which comes out as YCbCr,how is this different to YPbPr which allows greater colour adjustment.I'm planning on buying a HD STB but I don't think the colour issue will change.Is it that I'm not used to the LCD.I seem to be constantly adjusting things on every different show.

Cheers.

Hi.Totally new to LCD's so if I'm out of line let me know.I just purchased an Magnavox MLCD32 from Kmart for $1299.Seems like a good deal after a bit of looking around.You get what you pay for but sometimes you still want a good deal.

I think the TV lookes good but have a few queries.I am running the TV thru a Space SD box thru the Scart which is set to RGB whick I find is a lot darker than the CVBS option.I have spent some time adjusting the brightness,contrast,colour so on but I find some things strange.White and bright colors stand out so much it can be distracting while other channels look too dark.Pictuer quality is good it just seems to be brightness and colour differences on screen that is problem.Also I run an LG DVD thru component which comes out as YCbCr,how is this different to YPbPr which allows greater colour adjustment.I'm planning on buying a HD STB but I don't think the colour issue will change.Is it that I'm not used to the LCD.I seem to be constantly adjusting things on every different show.

Cheers.

Got an MLCD 26 and have the same experience running my PVR into F Scart. However you can set different settings for each input so once you get it right it wont affect other inputs. By the sound of it you might be better off adjusting contrast. The old, and probably still valid, technique was to turn the colour down until no colour. Then adjust brightness and contrast for the best black and white picture then feed in colour until you get the best picture for you.

Regarding your DVD to get YPbPr you need to set the DVD to output that format otherwise the TV defaults to YCbCr for component input. Your DVD may not output progressive. You need to check the manual.

SteveO

Thanks for advise.DVD is fairly old but it does give a good picture on VCbCr.On YPbPr it works quite well but you can still see a slight cycle going thru picture.Hopefully with a DVI HD STB I won't have colour problems on free to air as they don't seem to happen with a DVD.

Cheers

Hello,

About one month ago i got a Magavox MLCD32, it is a great unit. DVD unit is connected Via S-video. The problem that i'm having and not sure if it is a fualt. When ever red is displayed it look like crap. Every other colour is fine, but red just does not have any depth/Texture. This is the same when watching TV, playing Xbox Via RGB etc.

Any Advice

Shaun

Hello,

About one month ago i got a Magavox MLCD32, it is a great unit. DVD unit is connected Via S-video. The problem that i'm having and not sure if it is a fualt. When ever red is displayed it look like crap. Every other colour is fine, but red just does not have any depth/Texture. This is the same when watching TV, playing Xbox Via RGB etc.

Any Advice

Shaun

Have you tried adjusting the picture settings in the menu? You could try adjusting the colour temperature and then the brightness, contrast and colour settings. I've found 6500K gives the best picture. Try turning colour down then getting the best B&W picture using brightness and contrast and then add colour until it looks acceptable.

If you are prepared to make the investment you could get one of the calibration DVDs such as Digital Video Essentials and use the steps on that. They cost about $30 and can be used for adjusting home theatre audio as well.

SteveO

Edit I posted my settings in this thread on 23 May 2006

Have you tried adjusting the picture settings in the menu? You could try adjusting the colour temperature and then the brightness, contrast and colour settings. I've found 6500K gives the best picture. Try turning colour down then getting the best B&W picture using brightness and contrast and then add colour until it looks acceptable.

If you are prepared to make the investment you could get one of the calibration DVDs such as Digital Video Essentials and use the steps on that. They cost about $30 and can be used for adjusting home theatre audio as well.

SteveO

Edit I posted my settings in this thread on 23 May 2006

I will adjust the setting tonight. And get back you you guys

Confused newbie.

Hi. I want a cheap LCD screen for my bedroom to play Xbox 360. I was considering getting a 22" computer LCD but I'm now wondering if the Magnavox 26" LCD TV might be a better option. They are onsale later this week for $799 in Kmart.

I don't understand all the different resolutions with various inputs. I have an Xbox 360 component cable and a VGA cable. Can I use a resolution that won't crop or stretch the picture? Will the picture be HD?

Can I watch a 4:3 movie on it without it stretching? Someone said it can't do this in progressive or VGA mode and that there's no option to change the aspect ratio with DVI. It was also mentioned it only accepts 576p and 768p and only in 4:3 format. What does this mean?? *very confused*

What does upscaling SD digital TV mean? Someone said it's blurry. I have a STB. Does that mean if I watch TV it will be blurry?

Will my PS2 and standard DVD player work on it without cropping or stretching? Will they look better than SD TV?

Are people still having issues with dead pixels and bleeding?

I'm sorry for all the questions. This will be my first LCD and I just want to make sure its okay for what I need it for.

Thanks,

Michelle.

Confused newbie.

Hi. I want a cheap LCD screen for my bedroom to play Xbox 360. I was considering getting a 22" computer LCD but I'm now wondering if the Magnavox 26" LCD TV might be a better option. They are onsale later this week for $799 in Kmart.

I don't understand all the different resolutions with various inputs. I have an Xbox 360 component cable and a VGA cable. Can I use a resolution that won't crop or stretch the picture? Will the picture be HD?

Can I watch a 4:3 movie on it without it stretching? Someone said it can't do this in progressive or VGA mode and that there's no option to change the aspect ratio with DVI. It was also mentioned it only accepts 576p and 768p and only in 4:3 format. What does this mean?? *very confused*

What does upscaling SD digital TV mean? Someone said it's blurry. I have a STB. Does that mean if I watch TV it will be blurry?

Will my PS2 and standard DVD player work on it without cropping or stretching? Will they look better than SD TV?

Are people still having issues with dead pixels and bleeding?

I'm sorry for all the questions. This will be my first LCD and I just want to make sure its okay for what I need it for.

Thanks,

Michelle.

Not sure about the Xbox but I am running an HD STB box via VGA and get an HD picture. I just set the STB to widescreen and the display shows 4:3 programs without stretching. I run a Humax PVR via component and again set it to widescreen and no stretching on 4:3 programs. Both VGA and component inputs accept 576i, 576P, 720P, 768P and 1080i.

I run an uoscaling DVD player via DVI. The picture is not blurry at all. Some problems with 4:3 format DVDs and I have to change the setting on the DVD player to stop stretching. No problem of widescreen being displayed as 4:3. I only get 576P and 768P via DVI but not sure if that is a DVD output or display input issue.

You don't say if your STB is HD or SD. If it is HD the display will show HD. Also you don't say whether your DVD player is progressive or not. If it is progressive, the picture should be better than SD TV. In both cases the picture should not be blurry. Can't comment on PS2.

I have not had an issue with dead pixels although others have. Also I've run Digital Video Essentials set up DVD on the display and no evidence of bleeding or other problems using its test patterns.

SteveO

Just a little heads up on the Magnavox lcd's...

Kmart have the 26" out for $799.00, the 32" out for $1199.00 and a new 37" out for $1699.00.

We might go and have a look at the 37" in the next day or two, and if I can get a hold of a cable I will see if I can hook up my wife's laptop via vga and see how they look.

We did orignally have a 32" on lay-by a fair while ago, but at that time it wasn't much better (value wise) than some of the more 'reconised' brands like Acer etc. I can get a new model 32" Acer for about $1350.00 but we can get a tv through Kmart / Target with staff discount on top, through family so the 32" Magnavox works out at about $1140.00. Hmmm! decisions, decisions... luckily we are in no real rush.

Target also have a 37" lcd out for $1799.00 and the Sony 32" V series A10 Bravia for $1999.00 (obviously they have purchased stock of the older model bravia lcd's at a discount - seeing as the new versions are now widely available).

I bought a 32' several months ago at Kmart for $1299 and I'm impressed with it .I recently bought a DSE DTR8000 HD STB for $199.It gives a great picture on SD and HD broadcasts but I do have a few issues with the whole setup.I also purchased a $40+ DVI cable when I got the HD STB.When connected to LCD I can only get a picture when set to 720p but the picture can be jumpy and on 576p the picture is a bit wavey.So I have connected the STB thru the component YPbPr and the picture on 1080i is fantastic but if the picture on the screen is mostly bright white the screen will go blue like there is no signal.So a lot of ads just drop out.This could be seen as a good thing but after awhile it is annoying.It does it on any res but if I but on epg with the small sized screen it does not drop out.I have not tried with VGA cable,I was wondering does VGA make as good a picture as YPbPr as my DVD was using this input

Cheers

Thank you everyone for your replies. I ended up buying the 26" today.

I'm a little confused what cables I require.

I currently have the TV connected to my PC with a VGA cable. It is set to 1024x768 @ 60Hz. This setting is very clear but the screen is stretched. I don't have an option for 1366x768. I've tried manually entering it but it won't except it. The closest option I have is 1360x768 but it makes the text look a bit faded in places.

I'm using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card. Do I need to buy a DVI cable? Will this give me more options?

I'm also confused about what connection type is best for the STB. It is only SD. It has both AV and Scart outputs.

The Xbox 360 looks great! I'm using a componant cable. Which setting is better? 720p or 1080i?

Thanks,

Michelle.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I ended up buying the 26" today.

I'm a little confused what cables I require.

I currently have the TV connected to my PC with a VGA cable. It is set to 1024x768 @ 60Hz. This setting is very clear but the screen is stretched. I don't have an option for 1366x768. I've tried manually entering it but it won't except it. The closest option I have is 1360x768 but it makes the text look a bit faded in places.

I'm using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card. Do I need to buy a DVI cable? Will this give me more options?

I'm also confused about what connection type is best for the STB. It is only SD. It has both AV and Scart outputs.

The Xbox 360 looks great! I'm using a componant cable. Which setting is better? 720p or 1080i?

Thanks,

Michelle.

There were some comments earlier in this thread on settings for PCs to get the right resolution. If no luck there it might be worth posting to the PC tuners section and see if anyone there can help.

Regarding the STB if it is outputting RGB over SCART (it should tell you this in the manual) it will be a better picture and would be worth getting a SCART to SCART cable and connecting it to the "Full SCART" input on the Magnavox. If it isn't outputting RGB then it is not worth the money to buy a SCART cable.

SteveO

Picked up a MLCD32 brand new in a sealed box (not floor stock) at the local K-Mart yesterday for $999.00. That's got to be a bargain price for a 32" LCD.

I agree with LRDARS (Shaun) about the highly saturated reds but a quick adjustment of brightness, contrast and colour temperature soon tamed this. Specified viewing angle of 172 degrees matches my experience. No dead pixels. All-in-all I'm very happy with the unit.