Magnavox MLCD32

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

999?

i was sure they were listed at 1199 ?

can anyone confirm that melbourne shops got them at 999 as well?

I thought it was strange. We got the K-Mart "buy me's" in the letterbox on Saturday morning and the MLCD32 was listed at $1199. I happened to be in the K-Mart store on Saturday afternoon and noticed the unit on the shelf with a ticketed price of $999. I checked with the salesman (I was thinking maybe the ticket just referred to the floor stock unit) but he confirmed that $999 was the full price. He went and got a unit from out the back ... in it's fully sealed box ... and yes, it scanned at the cash register at $999. Yes, it was the 81cm (32") model MLCD32. The store in question was K-Mart in Forster NSW.

As I said previously, I'm very happy with the unit. I don't know if the price was a mistake or perhaps a special which applied only to that particular store. I'm not going to argue with them or ask too many questions!. My only gripe (which others have commented on) is the label in the top left corner. I think they must stick it on with two-pack epoxy or something because there's no way it can be simply peeled off.

Incidentally, it is a Philips panel ... hardly surprising as Philips sells TVs under its own name and the Magnavox brand.

Edited by AndyK

Same story at Joondalup W>A. where I bought one for $999 although it was in the catalogue for the higher price. I explained the disparity to the sales people but they said $999 was the price. Now I see Big W have the same size panel in an Akio brand with a contrast of 1600 which must yield better blacks. The prices are sure spiraling down at a great rate.

Hi Michelle - I had difficulty connecting my 26" Magnavox to a pc using a DVI connector at first, with a Radeon graphics card, and then a GeForce FX 5200. The Radeon card would not display a DVI signal at all and I could not get the Nvidia button to display with the FX 5200 to add the higher timing settings until I bought a new fancy Nvidia card (GeForce 7600GS). (I could see the button for advanced timings when using the RGB output though.)

Even with all the buttons showing I still found it a chore to get the advanced timings to be accepted. There seemed to be an art to it. You had to have it set in the prior menu to be running at the high 1366 x 768 res or close to it and then when you added the advanced timings, magic happened and the Magnavox turned into a crystal sharp computer display with beautiful text and properly proportioned photos and video.

You should be able to do this in RGB but I never got that far and am very please with the DVI mode. My RGB experience was fairly fuzzy.

I suggest you get an expensive Nvidia graphics card if you wish to go the DVI route or do some superstitious behaviours when entering the advanced timings. (My res is actually 1368x768)

My son bought the same TV and could not get the 1:1 pixel display working with his fancy laptop's rgb output.

If you wish a screen print of the settings let me know.

The Magnavox panels are good buying and Kmart tell me they have few returns compared with the Pyrod for example. I bought the GeForce 7600GS card for the ability to run 2600 x 1600 res to suit a Dell 30" panel if I could aford one. They were about $3000 a few months back and are selling for the next few days for $1999 delivered, but even at that you know they will be a lot cheaper in 6 months time when there is some competition from other manufacturers plus you can not have a big collection of LCD panels you bought on impulse.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
I currently have the TV connected to my PC with a VGA cable. It is set to 1024x768 @ 60Hz. This setting is very clear but the screen is stretched. I don't have an option for 1366x768. I've tried manually entering it but it won't except it. The closest option I have is 1360x768 but it makes the text look a bit faded in places.

I have my PC (ATi Radeon graphics card) connected by VGA. I gave up on trying to get 1366x768 (or 1360x768) to work, and now use 1280x720. That seems to work quite nicely for all video sources (including HDTV), but PC text quality is poor. Accordingly, if I want to do any work on that PC that involves reading text, I connect to it remotely using VNC (remote desktop software) from my other PC, rather than using it directly with the Magnavox TV.

The SCART specs don't exist any where. But after calling "consumer hotline: 1300 363 872" they had advised that the 'Half' is input only, 'Full' is input/output. They also mentioned that either SCART is for composite only. I've tested this with a S-Video connection via the SCART but I got really poor results, I would highly recommend to use the side S-Video (stupidly placed) instead.

DVI input is apparently digital only, so says the consumer hotline... The hotline sound as though they were reading the same manual which I had in my hand, he also admitted that they don't have a detailed spec sheet.

Component inputs are by far are is the better choice but your limited to only 1. At the moment its been used with a Phoenix HDTV STB... Picture quality is amazing.

Overall this LCD TV had great potential but the quality only matches its price. Within 3 weeks I found my first dead pixel. No further dead pixels have appeared 6 months later.

I bought a MLCD32 Magnavox lcd tv at K-Mart a few days ago for $999 which seemed good value for an 81cm lcd. Problem is that when I connect either of my two progressive scan dvd players (Pioneer and Panasonic) to it via component input and set the output on the dvd to progressive there is no picture via YPbPr only a blue screen. If the output is set to interlace the dvd plays via YCbCr but the image is fairly poor (blurry). Does anyone have a solution to this? Austar connected via S-Video (on the poorly placed side input) also has a fairly poor image (blurry). Can't get through on the Mistral 'hotline', just keep getting put on hold and then cut off. Also I have noticed 3 dead pixels. Any advice?

I bought a MLCD32 Magnavox lcd tv at K-Mart a few days ago for $999 which seemed good value for an 81cm lcd. Problem is that when I connect either of my two progressive scan dvd players (Pioneer and Panasonic) to it via component input and set the output on the dvd to progressive there is no picture via YPbPr only a blue screen.

I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD combo with progressive scan and the Maganavox MLCD26. I have the same problem you describe, but only with some DVDs... and I cannot work out what it is that makes some of them work with YPbPr and others not. To complicate matters further... I have backed up to DVD-R (and allowed my 3-y.o. son to fingerprint/scratch/food-spill) some of my DVDs that do not work with YPbPr... and these DVD-R backups work fine with YPbPr.

Mysterious...

Edited by vanBasten

The Radeon card would not display a DVI signal at all and I could not get the Nvidia button to display with the FX 5200 to add the higher timing settings until I bought a new fancy Nvidia card (GeForce 7600GS).

Hi Kev

I'm planning to buy a GF 7600GS card soon to use with my Magnavox MLCD26, so it's encouraging to see that you've had positive results with this card.

May I ask what specific brand/model of GF 7600GS card you bought? And is your card PCI-E or AGP? (Mine will be AGP.)

Also, how would you rate the noise level on your card? Quiet enough for a loungeroom environment? (That's where I have my MLCD26 set up at the moment).

Cheers

I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD combo with progressive scan and the Maganavox MLCD26. I have the same problem you describe, but only with some DVDs... and I cannot work out what it is that makes some of them work with YPbPr and others not. To complicate matters further... I have backed up to DVD-R (and allowed my 3-y.o. son to fingerprint/scratch/food-spill) some of my DVDs that do not work with YPbPr... and these DVD-R backups work fine with YPbPr.

Mysterious...

Yes quite dogey if you ask me. I am going to return my MLCD32. Thought it sounded too good to be true. You get what you pay for! :blink:

A few questions regarding the 26".

1. Can anybody 100% confirm that both the scart inputs are composite only?

2. Is the only audio input that works with the VGA input the 3.5mm Jack right next to it? Has anybody tried using this input using a RCA to 3.5mm convertor? How does it sound? Want to use my 360 VGA cable to free up the component.

3. Which audio inputs do you use with the DVI input?

4. My Ati x700 graphics card doesn't seem to be able to output to the TV through it's DVI output at all as it's not even recognising that there is a second monitor when connected through DVI, unlike s-video which works despite looking terrible. I've seen somebody say that it works well with the GeForce 7600GS through DVI but I was just wondering if people have had easy enough success through DVI with any other cheapish video cards.

I just bought the TV last night and it certainly has a cheap look/feel to it (menus etc), but my main purpose for bying it was to use the 360 in my room when my mate is watching crap on TV in the lounge that doesn't interest me (which will happen a hell of a lot in the cricket season), and it seems to do a fine job of that.

Guest michelle
2. Is the only audio input that works with the VGA input the 3.5mm Jack right next to it? Has anybody tried using this input using a RCA to 3.5mm convertor? How does it sound? Want to use my 360 VGA cable to free up the component.

I tried connecting the Xbox 360 with my VGA cable. I couldn't get the sound to work with the other inputs. I don't have an RCA to 3.5mm converter so I couldn't test that.

I use the 3.5 jack for sound from my PC with VGA input. The sound is okay for simple things like playing card games and watching AVI files. Stuff like DVD's are impossible to listen to. They sound crap even by my low standards. I wouldn't connect my Xbox to it.

My Geforce FX5200 does not work with DVI. It displays hundreds of little lines across the screen and the picture jitters. I don't play PC games and I can't justify spending hundreds on a card that will be used to surf the net. I'd like to know what cheap cards will work? Magnavox technical support was looking into it but they never phoned me back.

I mainly bought mine for the 360 too!

I tried connecting the Xbox 360 with my VGA cable. I couldn't get the sound to work with the other inputs. I don't have an RCA to 3.5mm converter so I couldn't test that.

I use the 3.5 jack for sound from my PC with VGA input. The sound is okay for simple things like playing card games and watching AVI files. Stuff like DVD's are impossible to listen to. They sound crap even by my low standards. I wouldn't connect my Xbox to it.

My Geforce FX5200 does not work with DVI. It displays hundreds of little lines across the screen and the picture jitters. I don't play PC games and I can't justify spending hundreds on a card that will be used to surf the net. I'd like to know what cheap cards will work? Magnavox technical support was looking into it but they never phoned me back.

I mainly bought mine for the 360 too!

Thanks for that.

I bought a RCA-3.5mm convertor last night and it was't really that bad with the 360. I have my 52" DLP and surround sound set up in the lounge for when i'm able to turn the sound right up. :blink:

As for graphics cards I realised i'm an idiot and don't need to worry about that. I was thinking i'd want to use it to watch DVD's through my PC completely overlooking the fact that I can just use the 360 for that. In my defence I have never used my consoles as a DVD player so I never really think of them as one.

I bought a DSE HD STB for $200 last night and managed to get all the channels working with a DSE brand Digital TV antenna ($70) which I was quite happy about. Took a lot of fiddling to find the right spot to stick the antenna but they're all working great except for 10HD which plays up when I move around in certain spots. Of course at first I had stuck the antenna straight into the TV to see how it worked with the analogue channels (not to good at all) and forgot to connect it straight to the STB when I plugged that in. Eventually after going to auto tune (the channels were already tuned in when I got it) after 15 minutes of wondering what's going on i realised my mistake when I saw the signal strength was 0%.

• 3 weeks later...
1. Can anybody 100% confirm that both the scart inputs are composite only?

I have my SD set top box connected to the "Full SCART" socket on the Magnavox. If I set the STB to output CVBS, the Magnavox's status indicator (in the top left corner of the screen) displays "FSCART - CVBS". If I set the STB to output RGB, the Magnavox's status indicator (in the top left corner of the screen) displays "FSCART - RGB". (And the picture quality changes when I switch the STB's output... CVBS is noticeably softer/blurier.)

So that would appear to indicate that the Full SCART input is RGB capable... would it not? (Mind you, the RGB picture still doesn't look particularly good to me.)

If I connect my STB to the Half SCART input, it seems to make no difference at all when I switch the STB's output between CVBS and RGB.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this TV, and I'm pretty happy with the image quality although the manual is next to useless and certain features are lacking but for 800 you can't really complain.

Anyway, I got a Hotshot 500HDMI HDSTB for the tv. At first I tried connecting it to the DVI port using a HDMI to DVI plug, but I got no picture or sound when I switched to the DVI connection on the TV. I've now got it connected via the Component chanel Y/Pb/Pr which works a treat.

I really wanted to connect the DVD player to the component and the STB to the DVI.

Has anyone any clue how to fix this DVI connection issue or had any experience in it? Is it one of those things wherby "It just doesn't work" ?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone any clue how to fix this DVI connection issue or had any experience in it? Is it one of those things wherby "It just doesn't work" ?

Cheers

Someone in this thread experienced (and subsequently overcame) some problems with DVI, but he was using an upscaling DVD player rather than an HD STB:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=56#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=58#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=61#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=64#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=85#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=89#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=96#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...675&st=107#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...675&st=110#

Someone else briefly mentioned some problems with HD STB over DVI:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...675&st=146#

If you can't get it to work, perhaps you should just ask KMart for a refund? Say it is not performing as advertised.

Maybe you could then try the Aiko 32 cm LCD from BigW instead? DTV Forum users who have bought the Aiko seem to speak very highly of it:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=42774

Good luck :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PhotonIce

So I finally took the plunge and got a 26" one for my mum to use as a PC monitor.

I know her video card only has VGA, so tried using the VGA input.

I have a 7600GS, and I gotta say, after spending an hour changing resolutions and fiddling with the frequency setting on the TV, I was unable to get this famed clean sharp text I have been reading about.

I will go buy a DVI cable tomorrow and try again, but in the mean time, has anyone else gotten a good sharp picture with text displaying how it should, using the VGA input?