Magnavox MLCD32

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious though...how did you get these values.

Trial and error :blink:

refresh rate can be 50 or 60hz or 75, a few mentioned in the manual. although when i set exactly 60 it doesnt like it, atm im using 59.779 (or was it 59.799 LOL) just fiddle and whatever works good with your card use it :P

now for the bad news:

Resolution is not the whole story here.

50Hz is just as important!

If you cannot get combo of 1360/1366 * 768(p) @ 50Hz via DVI then component or VGa is better but at those resolutions.

DVI will give shocking JUDDER from DTV tuner cards @ High defintion or Enhanced definitions broadcastings (1080i and 576p specific).

When a PC takes a source and presents it to the desktop @ given X/Y resolutions like 1360 * 768 the dvd/DTV broadcast is SCALED to that resolution. Australian progressive VERTICAL timings standards are 50Hz. American progressive scaling standards are 60Hz vertical.

As DVD's are 576i or standard definition like DTV they will not judder as much.

I have had severe JUDDER issues with DVI from an nVidia 6600GT DVI. Component is much better quality @ native and 50Hz timing.

DA

• 2 weeks later...
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6839/settings6vx.th.jpg

Ok heres my settings so far, this appears to be perfect now. This is with a GF4 Ti and 81.98 forceware version.

After setting that i can now select the native res in CS:Source and trackmania (only 2 games on this pc).

*note* its seems when you go back into the nvidia panel the res gets reset and undoes your custom settings. But anyway you can now have native res with DVI :blink:

Spent ages trying to get the TV to display at 1366*768 only to find that having my background desktop image set to stretch made it look like it wasn't working (I had issues with the screen scrolling to display the 1366 on what I guess it thought was a 1024 display). Set the background image to centred and hey presto it seemed to work itself out. So now getting the best output over DVI from my laptop. Nice.

Upon close-up examination, using a black background, I can see 15-20 stuck pixels (mostly white, some red) on my Magnavox MLCD26.

Has anyone else had any pixel problems with this unit?

This is actually my second unit... I already returned the first unit to KMart for a replacement, because it had 1 dead pixel and 6 stuck ones.

My partner cannot see what all the fuss is about, as the stuck pixels are rarely noticeable when viewing movies from the couch. But I can definitely see them when I get up close to use my PC... and now that I know they are there, it's annoying :blink:

Upon close-up examination, using a black background, I can see 15-20 stuck pixels (mostly white, some red) on my Magnavox MLCD26.

Has anyone else had any pixel problems with this unit?

This is actually my second unit... I already returned the first unit to KMart for a replacement, because it had 1 dead pixel and 6 stuck ones.

My partner cannot see what all the fuss is about, as the stuck pixels are rarely noticeable when viewing movies from the couch. But I can definitely see them when I get up close to use my PC... and now that I know they are there, it's annoying :blink:

Ouch - that's a ton! I'd be taking it back man. My 1920x1080 lcd has 1 and im swapping it over - even thats enough to bug me!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know if this thing is HDCP compliant? As I am thinking about getting an upscaling DVD player and connecting it via HDMI > DVI...

I am using an upscaling DVD player (Samsung HD 850) via DVI without any problems. I used a hack to also upscale over component. I would check that you can get a hack for the DVD player you plan to get just in case.

SteveO

So those who have had this for awhile for TV/DVD, are you happy with the picture quality? I'm looking at getting one temporarily until I get one of the new pioneer/pana plasmas, as I still have the $899 raincheck from KMart for the 26" model.

I'll hook up the STB via DVI, Austar via S-Video and DVD via Component. In the shops the picture looks awful which I assume its the composite connection and source. I would hope DVI would make a huge difference, does it??

Mossy

Thanks for the quick reply SteveO, the one big drawback of this screen for me is the lack of reliable info for it, but oh well. Would you reccomend the sammy HD850? A couple of sites have said it is one of the better ones for the price...

My only problem with the Sammy is that for some unknown reason you can't jump to chapters by pressing the number butttons. Picture quality is very good - particularly for a sub $200 player. There is a hack to make it region code free.

One quirk - and I'm not sure if its the Sammy or Magnavox - if connecting HDMI to DVI you have to set the player to output NTSC. If you set it to PAL it only shows a 4:3 picture. Setting it to NTSC is not a problem if your upscaling anyway and it still plays both PAL and NTSC discs on that setting. I have the player output set to 768p which the Magnavox manual says is the optimum for the display.

SteveO

So those who have had this for awhile for TV/DVD, are you happy with the picture quality? I'm looking at getting one temporarily until I get one of the new pioneer/pana plasmas, as I still have the $899 raincheck from KMart for the 26" model.

I'll hook up the STB via DVI, Austar via S-Video and DVD via Component. In the shops the picture looks awful which I assume its the composite connection and source. I would hope DVI would make a huge difference, does it??

Mossy

I'm more than happy with it despite its quirks. I've run both the PAL and NTSC versions of Video Essentials over it and the only setting change required was to reduce the colour temperature.

However I did have a problem connecting my DVD player via HDMI to DVI and after some experimenting had to set the DVD player to output NTSC to get full screen display. This may have been a quirk of the DVD player. I dont have another source to test.

Others may have other experiences in connecting an STB via DVI.

SteveO

So I got the Samsung HD 850 and connected it via DVI, I assume that the fact that it works out of the box means the panel is HDCP compliant. My only issue is the colour seems really washed out over DVI.

What are your thoughts on this SteveO, seeing as you have the exact same setup, what colour, brightness etc settings are you running. I have noticed that I have to crank the colour way up to about 85 for my xbox 360 over component for it to look any good...

So I got the Samsung HD 850 and connected it via DVI, I assume that the fact that it works out of the box means the panel is HDCP compliant. My only issue is the colour seems really washed out over DVI.

What are your thoughts on this SteveO, seeing as you have the exact same setup, what colour, brightness etc settings are you running. I have noticed that I have to crank the colour way up to about 85 for my xbox 360 over component for it to look any good...

Settings for the DVD player are

TV System NTSC

Video Output HDMI

HDMI 768p

Settigns for the display (calibrated using Digital Video Essentials) are

Brightness 25

Contrast 50

User R 50

User G 50

User B 48

Color Temp 6500K

(Colour is only adjustable if you set Color Temp to User)

I think the problem is brightness rather than colour. Try the reduced brightness setting.

SteveO

Earlier in the thread some of you guys have stated the set can do 1360 (1366) x 768 via pc. I believe this is over the DVI connection, can anyone confirm whether these settings can be done via the VGA input?

What about any users finding dead / stuck pixels, it sounds like some of these screens have ridiculous amounts of faulty pixels on them.

I ask because we are thinking of putting one on layby while the sale is on, so if they are problematical I think we will give them a miss.

Any input is welcomed and appreciated.

Earlier in the thread some of you guys have stated the set can do 1360 (1366) x 768 via pc. I believe this is over the DVI connection, can anyone confirm whether these settings can be done via the VGA input?

What about any users finding dead / stuck pixels, it sounds like some of these screens have ridiculous amounts of faulty pixels on them.

I ask because we are thinking of putting one on layby while the sale is on, so if they are problematical I think we will give them a miss.

I can't comment on the res over VGA as I have not played with it. All I can say is that I personally have had 0 stuck or dead pixels since day 1 and the overall quality of the panel is reasonably good...

I'm happy with my MLCD26 once I got used to its quirks discussed earlier. Picture quality is very good and no dead pixels.

SteveO

Sorry fellas, another question...

I have gotten the .pdf of the manual from mistral and it doesn't cover the features of the set very well. Can anyone tell me if, when running a pc via vga at 1024x768 if it displays the image centrally (with black bars down the sides of the screen) or does it stretch the image to fill the screen. The manual seems to suggest that the aspect ratio settings on this set don't apply to vga and dvi inputs. I don't have easy access to a laptop to confirm whether this is the case on the store model.

I don't have easy access to a laptop to take in and try the screen in store. My desktop computer uses the onboard graphics chip (only vga output though) and can output various standard resolutions like 1024x768, 1280x768, 1360x768 etc... etc... But unless the set can display these properly (centered on the screen etc) then maybe this isn't the bargin my better half and I were looking for.

Any help is most appreciated, thanks.

Sorry fellas, another question...

I have gotten the .pdf of the manual from mistral and it doesn't cover the features of the set very well. Can anyone tell me if, when running a pc via vga at 1024x768 if it displays the image centrally (with black bars down the sides of the screen) or does it stretch the image to fill the screen. The manual seems to suggest that the aspect ratio settings on this set don't apply to vga and dvi inputs. I don't have easy access to a laptop to confirm whether this is the case on the store model.

I don't have easy access to a laptop to take in and try the screen in store. My desktop computer uses the onboard graphics chip (only vga output though) and can output various standard resolutions like 1024x768, 1280x768, 1360x768 etc... etc... But unless the set can display these properly (centered on the screen etc) then maybe this isn't the bargin my better half and I were looking for.

Any help is most appreciated, thanks.

You definitely can't adjust the aspect ratios on VGA and DVI. Adjustments have to be done on the input device. I doubt you will be able to adjust a laptop so it is not a good test. Others here have adjusted their PC graphics cards and can give you their experiences.

KMart are pretty good with returns and might agree in advance to allowing you to return the display if it can't handle PC input in the proper aspect.

SteveO

As I reported earlier in the thread, I have about 15-20 stuck pixels - mostly white, a few red. (Or maybe they are "sub-pixels" - is that possible? Some are pretty tiny I must say.) The unit I have at the moment is a replacement unit - the first I had already returned because it had one dead pixel, and about 6 stuck on white.

I have reported the situation to my friendly local KMart sales assistant, who has ordered another replacement for me. She offered me a refund if I preferred, but I said I'd give it one last go.

Interesting to hear that others have had no dead/stuck pixel problems. Maybe I was just extremely unlucky and got two duds. Or maybe the ATi video card on my PC has somehow screwed up some pixels. (Is that possible? I wouldn't have thought so). I tried connecting it using DVI, but could not get it to display at all other than in "safe mode" (which was 640 x 480, if I remember correctly). I now have it connected via VGA. I tried for ages to get 1366 (or 1360) x 768 to work properly via VGA, but to no avail. I either had flicker problems, or else a "scrolling screen" effect. Tried PowerStrip, but that didn't solve my problems either. I have since settled on running it at 1280 x 720 via VGA. This seems to look OK (apart from slightly blurred document/icon text), and I presume it equates to 720p HDTV when I watch my digital HDTV tuner on the PC.

Despite these issues, I am still fairly happy with the TV for the $899 price.

Can anyone tell me if, when running a pc via vga at 1024x768 if it displays the image centrally (with black bars down the sides of the screen) or does it stretch the image to fill the screen.

When I run my PC at 1024x768 via VGA, the image is stretched; no black bars.

I've just bought this tv and have a couple of queries.

Firstly, with it connected to a HD STB via component, is there any way of knowing what actual resolution the tv is displaying? The STB output is 1080i at 50hz, but what is the tv doing with it? I've read elsewhere on this forum, here, that the Philips LCD tvs, for example, only display at 60hz, so any Australian-market STB, all limited to 50hz, will not result in a true 1080 displayed picture. The Magnavox manual similarly only mentions 60 and 75hz, not 50.

Or have I misread the above linked thread? Is the very fact that I'm seeing a picture on the tv, with a STB output of 1080i, confirmation that I'm seeing 1080i?

The manual says the resolution can only be changed in DVI or VGA mode.

Following on from this, has anyone connected via DVI to a HD STB and confirmed they can select 1080i on the tv's setup menu?

I've just bought this tv and have a couple of queries.

Firstly, with it connected to a HD STB via component, is there any way of knowing what actual resolution the tv is displaying? The STB output is 1080i at 50hz, but what is the tv doing with it? I've read elsewhere on this forum, here, that the Philips LCD tvs, for example, only display at 60hz, so any Australian-market STB, all limited to 50hz, will not result in a true 1080 displayed picture. The Magnavox manual similarly only mentions 60 and 75hz, not 50.

Or have I misread the above linked thread? Is the very fact that I'm seeing a picture on the tv, with a STB output of 1080i, confirmation that I'm seeing 1080i?

The manual says the resolution can only be changed in DVI or VGA mode.

Following on from this, has anyone connected via DVI to a HD STB and confirmed they can select 1080i on the tv's setup menu?

See my response at other thread

Please don't multiple post the same topic it as it gets confusing.

SteveO