Magnavox MLCD32

i just came back to my room then, fired up the display and 2 of the pixels are now working (only the constant red lit one is left). I think i remember reading somewhere that in the first 200 or so hours its common for pixels to fail then work, sort of a burn in period.

Imagine taking a LCD in which "came good" when they fired it up for testing :blink: Embarrasing haha

Anyone ever tried pressing on the LCD with a cotton bud thingy (as mentioned on that site and seen it at some other places). While it might fix the pixel id be scared your gonna break surrounding ones :P

edit: about returning though, kmart has a 14 day policy for returns doesnt it. Or does faulty returns not come under that. as in it wouldnt matter wheither i returned it within 14 days or 6months later, theyd exchange it the same. Just thinking if they do dissappear now but more pop up in a few months :P

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever tried pressing on the LCD with a cotton bud thingy (as mentioned on that site and seen it at some other places). While it might fix the pixel id be scared your gonna break surrounding ones :blink:

This is a bit of an old wives tale. Sometimes a red pixel on a white background can occur because the green and blue components of the colour are obscured by very fine dust. The cotton bud merely removes that dust. Hence the different colour test patterns-with a green or blue test pattern the pixel would appear black because the red isn't activated.

I have had similar and more noticable dust problems on my plasma. I use a microfibre lens cleaning cloth available from camera stores or optometrists to remove dust/clean the screen.

Regarding the warranty - Magnavox has a two year return to store of purchase replacement warranty. http://www.mistral.com.au/Magnavox/support.htm

SteveO

Hi guy's

I posted earlier but no replies so far. Will I be disappointed?

I'm hoping to get one of these today but need a liitle reassurance that I (or the kid's) won't be disappointed.

Thanks

Earlier I posted to this thread what I thought were the pros and cons of this TV. Overall I felt it was good value for a second TV but had reservations about it as a main TV for a large room due to what I feel is a narrow viewing angle. Picture quality and range of connections are big pluses.

Disappointment is based on expectations if your expectations aren't excessively high you won't be disappointed by this set.

SteveO

Does the 26" have the 4 Vesa holes for wall mounting?.

It has Mounting Holes, but they are Not VESA Compatible (I am unsure how you could get a bracket for these nonstandard ones). This was a nasty surprise for me when I bought the LCD home on Thursday Morning (Got a nice wall bracket instead from ikea for a similar price, took the mount back).

Setting it up then, It seems to live up to my expectations, However I think I may have got a faulty unit (Side Panel AV/S-Video doesn't work) which has annoyed me somewhat, but Kmart are generally fine with dealing with these kinds of things. I could go on about how I don't like SCART and the like, but it achieves the best picture in its price range (Compared with the Trio & Soniq models I've seen for the same price). Excellent PQ With my DivX DVD Player through Component.

Can one of you here check if your Side Panel AV/S-Video work properly?

And I would agree with the above post, With the very limited viewing angles its best suited as a Bedroom TV, Or a Fixed Monitor.

It has Mounting Holes, but they are Not VESA Compatible (I am unsure how you could get a bracket for these nonstandard ones). This was a nasty surprise for me when I bought the LCD home on Thursday Morning (Got a nice wall bracket instead from ikea for a similar price, took the mount back).

Setting it up then, It seems to live up to my expectations, However I think I may have got a faulty unit (Side Panel AV/S-Video doesn't work) which has annoyed me somewhat, but Kmart are generally fine with dealing with these kinds of things. I could go on about how I don't like SCART and the like, but it achieves the best picture in its price range (Compared with the Trio & Soniq models I've seen for the same price). Excellent PQ With my DivX DVD Player through Component.

Can one of you here check if your Side Panel AV/S-Video work properly?

And I would agree with the above post, With the very limited viewing angles its best suited as a Bedroom TV, Or a Fixed Monitor.

My side input works for audio and composite video but not s-video. Not a problem for me as I never use s-video - had to hunt round the garage for a cable.

I have been so impressed with the picture quality that I went out and bought an upscaling dvd player (Samsung HD850 $199 at JB HiFI). It connects via HDMI (cable included) at 1080i, 768p, 720p or 576p. Had to buy a DVI adaptor (extra $36.50). I'll set it up later and let you know how it looks.

SteveO

My side input works for audio and composite video but not s-video. Not a problem for me as I never use s-video - had to hunt round the garage for a cable.

I have been so impressed with the picture quality that I went out and bought an upscaling dvd player (Samsung HD850 $199 at JB HiFI). It connects via HDMI (cable included) at 1080i, 768p, 720p or 576p. Had to buy a DVI adaptor (extra $36.50). I'll set it up later and let you know how it looks.

SteveO

I've being impressed at my DVD Player doing 576P.. looking good. Anyway, looks like I'll just have to find a nice SCART cable with S-Video (The SCART convertors they included were **** and lacked S-Video), so I can plug my temporary SD STB in (May get a HD STB when its moreso worth it.

Any word on whether this MLCD32 (26) set can do 1360x768 res via VGA / DVI? Seems stupid that it would only support "4x3" style computer resolutions, and if I read correctly stretch the image to fit the screen.

Anyone else having trouble with the side a/v imput not working with s-video?

Can anyone tell me if the SCART's support RGB connection?

Thinking of one of these as a temporary set and then moving it off to a bedroom, secondary gaming set later when SED arrives.

Can't get the Samsung to work in progressive Scan on either component or HDMI/DVI. Looks like this panel is not HDCP compliant. Will contact Magnavox tomorrow to find out.

SteveO

try sourcing some hacks on the samsung, Like for LG they allow upscaling through component.

ive got the native 1366x768 res going through the DVI now (so 1:1 pixel mapping). completely owns for desktop use. After ages of stuffing with powerstrip, i had a quick play around with nvidias advanced timing settings and bang :blink:. still trying to get the perfect refresh rate timing though, which might also have something to do with the other timing settings (i have nfi what they do). Gonna have to read up on this stuff :P Hows everyone else going :P

Guest EZYHD

That is crazy not being VESA complient. I already have a mount off eBay. Maybe I can modify it, think I'll take the mount with me to Kmart to see if its possible.

What is the weight of the 26" withoiut the stand.

I'm just looking for one like this for casual TV viewing opposite the kitchen, I guess its OK for that via STB. The low price is the best I've seen yet.

Just picked up my 26" today and I must say i'm impressed, even though I have only given it a quick test so far. No dead pixels, my side AV/S Video works fine and I think someone asked about 4:3 apsect stretching, there is an option on the third menu screen, where you can select to stretch input to fill or display it at 4:3. I will be hooking up my xbox 360 to it shortly and giving that a test, will report back once I have an idea how it all pans out...

Just picked up my 26" today and I must say i'm impressed, even though I have only given it a quick test so far. No dead pixels, my side AV/S Video works fine and I think someone asked about 4:3 apsect stretching, there is an option on the third menu screen, where you can select to stretch input to fill or display it at 4:3. I will be hooking up my xbox 360 to it shortly and giving that a test, will report back once I have an idea how it all pans out...

Unfortunately the aspect stretching option doesn't appear for DVI. Magnavox said the same thing but now accept it isn't there for DVI and have gone away to look at the problem. Took my number and said they would ring back.

I'd be interested if any one has tried to connect an STB via DVI and if they have the same aspect problem.

SteveO

I will be hooking up my xbox 360 to it shortly and giving that a test, will report back once I have an idea how it all pans out...

Looking forward to see how it performs with the 360, thats exactly why I want it in the first place. Where did you get yours from, I can't seem to find anywhere in Sydney that has one in stock.

Never done anything with HDMI so have no idea what you could try :blink:

My svideo works fine (what i first tried with the dvd player). Havent tried composite but who would want that anyway LOL. just curious what HDTV inputs can the tv decode through component (manual doesnt mention this at all). 720p, 1080i guessing all the standard ones ?

Id say it would work great on a 360....i play CS:Source on mine and it looks fantastic.

Very pissed off that my 6600GT broke last week (which was HDTV compatible). Got a Geforce4 Ti in my system atm

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6839/settings6vx.th.jpg

Ok heres my settings so far, this appears to be perfect now. This is with a GF4 Ti and 81.98 forceware version.

After setting that i can now select the native res in CS:Source and trackmania (only 2 games on this pc).

*note* its seems when you go back into the nvidia panel the res gets reset and undoes your custom settings. But anyway you can now have native res with DVI :blink:

Can anyone answer if the magnavox will do 1366x768 (it's native resolution) will it do the following...

1360x768 (the closest my ATI Catalyst Control panel graphics lists)

1280x720 (a setting under windows and my ATI Catalyst control)

Can anyone also confirm what video standards the SCART inputs support (i.e. composite, s-video, RGB, component?)

Any help is greatly appreciated guy's.

thanks in advance for any replies and advice.

The 360 looks stunning through this thing, thats about all I can say. Have it running at 720p through component and I am blown away by how smooth, vivid and clear it is. PGR3 and GRAW in particular, with all the HDR effects, looks amazing. Had to fiddle with the brightness, contrast and colour settings a little to get it to what I wanted, but from there I was impressed. The only downside is that SD digital TV is a bit blurry due to the upscaling, especially in dark scenes...

I downloaded the Manual for 32inch, the 26 inch doesn't seem to be available.

What the hell is Full Scart and Half Scart mean? I know what Scart is, never heard of full or half before?! Besides, it has separate inputs for PCRGB, DVI, Componene and Composite anyway.

The manual doesn't actually say anything about what the Scarts are for, i.e. Composite, RGB etc...??

Also, Kmart catalogue says it has Picture in Picture. No mention of it anywhere in manual.

Anyone who has Magnavox, does it have PIP like Kmart is saying??

MOssy

if i can do it with nvidia, then im sure you can do it with ATi (unless ATi really does suck :blink:).

yes the magnavox will do the native 1366x768 resolution through a PC, im doing that with my nvidia as i already said. It was not a standard res to select, i had to manually enter in the settings (shown in my pic i linked). The TV will accept any res actually, it'll just scale them. I was originally playing CS with 1280x720 before i got native going.

As for PIP, i also saw this in the catalog, its not in the manual and i pushed every button lol, think its a misprint in the catalog.

Im curious why you care about SCART for, ive never used it but it seems worthless to me. The TV has DVI, VGA and component inputs, the only ones youd care about. Svideo/composite/scart is obsolette :P Exactly what has scart output anyway ?

Im curious why you care about SCART for, ive never used it but it seems worthless to me. The TV has DVI, VGA and component inputs, the only ones youd care about. Svideo/composite/scart is obsolette :blink: Exactly what has scart output anyway ?

My Kaon SD STB has Scart output. There are a lot of STB out there that has Scart outputs.

Just never heard of the terms Full and Half Scart?! With Scart, they usually says is Scart with Composite, or Scart with RGB and/or Component etc....

I don't understand either why they have it when they have every other input separately. I suppose it will come in hand if I have the DVD player using the Component, the LG HD STB using DVI and I could have the VCR using the Composite Scart (thats if it is Composite, who knows!)

I think of getting one and waiting on the panasonic plasmas to come out, or a new Pioneer model in 6-12 months.

Mossy