Magnavox MLCD32

In the KMart catalogue starting tomorrow is this 32" model for $1499.

The specs on this are hard to find, but it is advertised with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 which is better than the AWA and only $90 more expensive than the BixW sale price (also happening tomorrow). Nothing about the refresh rate though.

Anyone know any more about this?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some specs:

1366 x 768 pixel panel (1024 x 768 in VGA/DVI mode)

1000:1 Contrast Ratio

500cd/m3 Peak Brightness

8ms Resonse Time

Inputs:

Scart x 2

YCbCr OR YPbPr

VGA

DVI

SVHS/Composite on side

Build quailty is comparible to the other cheapies, but the screen does look good (and certainly better than the Sansui next to it although it was hard to tell fro the crapy KMart input choices).

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one and the picture quality is first rate.

I have a few issues though:

1) The AV switching is relatively slow and there is no way to go direct to a particular input

2) The DVI input sometimes does not work without changing the AV input

3) The best resolution I can get is 1024 x 768 although the panel is specced at 1368 x 768. It could be a timing or display card issue which I have not been able to resolve.

4) This may be picky, but the sticker they use to display all of the features on the left hand side is IMPOSSIBLE to remove without checical assistance...

It is good value though for the price.

I bought one and the picture quality is first rate.

I have a few issues though:

1) The AV switching is relatively slow and there is no way to go direct to a particular input

2) The DVI input sometimes does not work without changing the AV input

3) The best resolution I can get is 1024 x 768 although the panel is specced at 1368 x 768. It could be a timing or display card issue which I have not been able to resolve.

4) This may be picky, but the sticker they use to display all of the features on the left hand side is IMPOSSIBLE to remove without checical assistance...

It is good value though for the price.

Can't help with the resolution problem, but methylated spirits on a soft rag should do the trick. Be careful to not rub too hard.

• 3 weeks later...

On a similar note, anyone know anything about the 26" version of this tv, they have it in the latest KMart catalouge for $899 introductory (normaly 1300), the website has it specced identically to the 32", so it seems a bit of a bargain. Just looking for any thoughts or comments on this tv, as Im on a tight budget but want to get something to do my xbox 360 @720p...

On a similar note, anyone know anything about the 26" version of this tv, they have it in the latest KMart catalouge for $899 introductory (normaly 1300), the website has it specced identically to the 32", so it seems a bit of a bargain. Just looking for any thoughts or comments on this tv, as Im on a tight budget but want to get something to do my xbox 360 @720p...

Wow, seems to have some pretty decent specs (if its the new model, which with introductory pricing you would think so). And for $899... I think I'm gonna go put this on layby!

If it's not what I want I'll just sell it off later but damn,m at $899 I'm willing to do some guinea pig testing...

SPECS: Here

Wow, seems to have some pretty decent specs (if its the new model, which with introductory pricing you would think so). And for $899... I think I'm gonna go put this on layby!

If it's not what I want I'll just sell it off later but damn,m at $899 I'm willing to do some guinea pig testing...

SPECS: Here

Yeah, those were my thoughts, the specs seem decent, with plenty of connection options and the 2 year warranty should keep me out of trouble until I have the funds to upgrade to bigger and better things. I'd kill to know what panel it has in it.

I will buy this sucker and see what its like, I would expect it to sell pretty quickly though at that price. I will report back once I have tested it out, hopefully a few others here will do the same...

Bought an MLCD26 today for $899 at KMart. Picture is pretty good and it has all the basic functions. Was a bit worried about the note in the specs that it was only PAL but tried an NTSC DVD and it handled it without any problems. Played both PAL and NTSC DVDs as 576P. Have it set up for component and haven't tried DVI yet as that STB is set up with the bigger plasma.

Good value for the price.

SteveO

Bought an MLCD26 today for $899 at KMart. Picture is pretty good and it has all the basic functions. Was a bit worried about the note in the specs that it was only PAL but tried an NTSC DVD and it handled it without any problems. Played both PAL and NTSC DVDs as 576P. Have it set up for component and haven't tried DVI yet as that STB is set up with the bigger plasma.

Good value for the price.

SteveO

also good value at kmart is they are clearing the 32" audiosonic lcd at $1199, thats several hundred cheaper than the magnavox, seems to have the same specs as otehr cheapies, but limited stock only at kmarts that have them in stock, cant order and they wont be getting any more...

Something I dont get here

http://www.mistral.com.au/Magnavox/mlcd26.htm

The main page says 1000:1 contrast, but the side panel on the right says 450:1

Which is correct

Even more confusing the packaging says 600:1.

A couple of observations after a couple of hours use.

First the viewing angle (both horizontal and vertical) is very narrow compared with my plasma. I am using it in the bedroom so no problem but I would have some reservations about using it in a large living area.

Second when playing 4:3 DVDs in progressive mode via component (576p) it automatically expands them to fill the screen and there is no way to change this. If you change the DVD player to interlace it will show as 4:3 but only at 576i with noticable reduction in picture quality.

SteveO

OK a real dumbo not technical person here so be nice !

I've been wanting either a Plasma or LCD and thought I had to spend $3,000-$5,000 for get a good

quality one which various stores kept pointing me in the direct of NEC or Fujitsu or Panasonic and some

the Sony Bravia.

I dont play any games, wont have the PC connected. Watch a few DVD's a month at max, but in general just watch the usual channels.

So with this Magnavox 32" I did some googling on reviews and they all seem to give it around 4 out of 5

stars.

Will I have ghosting with fast action movies ? with LCD I wont get any burn in's from any Logo's ?

and just as important is it a crisp clear/good coloured picture ?

under $1500 suits me :blink:

Should I buy it now ? or save up as I am currently doing for the more exxy ones ?

Thanks for any feedback

OK a real dumbo not technical person here so be nice !

I've been wanting either a Plasma or LCD and thought I had to spend $3,000-$5,000 for get a good

quality one which various stores kept pointing me in the direct of NEC or Fujitsu or Panasonic and some

the Sony Bravia.

I dont play any games, wont have the PC connected. Watch a few DVD's a month at max, but in general just watch the usual channels.

So with this Magnavox 32" I did some googling on reviews and they all seem to give it around 4 out of 5

stars.

Will I have ghosting with fast action movies ? with LCD I wont get any burn in's from any Logo's ?

and just as important is it a crisp clear/good coloured picture ?

under $1500 suits me :blink:

Should I buy it now ? or save up as I am currently doing for the more exxy ones ?

Thanks for any feedback

My only reservation with the 26" is the viewing angle as previously mentioned. Other than that the picture quality is pretty good. The other factor is making sure you have a good quality HD STB to get good input - the old axiom garbage in/garbage out.

I haven't seen any ghosting with fast action based on the HD loop of a bird flapping its wings. The motion was clearly defined. You get a two year warranty with these by which time bigger brand name displays will be available at similar prices. I can remember paying about $1,000 for my first DVD player and my first STB.

SteveO

Yeh I'm thinking about laybying one... I'm at work atm... kmart is just 40metres away in the same mall... they have it in stock (but hooked up to ****)... I'm thinking about grabbing one of the lappys from working and hooking it up!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well went in to buy a 26" today as soon as the store opened and they were completely sold out :blink:

The sales girls said that someone had broought the last two of them yesterday at full price, which seems kind of odd. Anyway rainchecked one and hopefully I should get it next week sometime. If anyone can hook one of these up to a 360 and give it a spin, would be grateful to know how it performs...

steveo - you couldn't possibly hook up your pc (or a 360 if you have one) via VGA and DVI and give us a quick run down of how it performs at 1366x768 for PC use?

Hooked up the PC via VGA and it was able to display 1280x1024 resolution at 75Hz with 32bit colour. However it stretches the image to fit the screen and there is no way to tell it to display in 4:3 format.

Also connected it to the HD VGA output on my STB and it gave a beautiful picture.

However the manual says that with the VGA input (and DVI which I haven't tested) it only displays 1024x768 rather than its native 1366x768 resolution. There is no info displayed on the screen to confirm this.

SteveO