'Zerostat' Antistatic Gun

Hi,

'Zerostat' Antistatic Guns have been around for 'yonks' so it seems.

I've never owned one but am just now thinking about getting one to help with my LP records cleaning.

I'm thinking of using it after each clean with the VPI.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work? Any other thoughts?

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would suggest using a ZeroStat is not as good a solution as banishing static permanently, during the wet/vacuum cleaning process. For 20 years, I have used spray-on-wipe-around Milty Permastat before I use my Nitty Gritty and have had absolutely zero problem with static.

Regards,

Andy

Hey Andyr - I've used a Zerostat every time I put a record on (part of the LP Japanese Tea Ceremony) and it works reasonably well but not permanently.

I curious about the Milty spray though, as a permanent solution would be great.

The reason I am reticent about such sprays is that I applied some stuff called "Permalast" to some LP's about 25 years ago and it totally wrecked them after about 12 months. They sounded like they had been through a sand blaster. All attempts to clean them failed totally. Luckily I only used it on about 6 LP's so it wasn't a complete disaster.

When you say you apply the spray before you vacuum, is the LP still wet from the initial wet clean? Do you buff the spray in or just leave it as sprayed then vacuum?

Cheers

Bilbo

Hey Andyr - I've used a Zerostat every time I put a record on (part of the LP Japanese Tea Ceremony) and it works reasonably well but not permanently.

I curious about the Milty spray though, as a permanent solution would be great.

The reason I am reticent about such sprays is that I applied some stuff called "Permalast" to some LP's about 25 years ago and it totally wrecked them after about 12 months. They sounded like they had been through a sand blaster. All attempts to clean them failed totally. Luckily I only used it on about 6 LP's so it wasn't a complete disaster.

When you say you apply the spray before you vacuum, is the LP still wet from the initial wet clean? Do you buff the spray in or just leave it as sprayed then vacuum?

Cheers

Bilbo

Hi Bilbo,

Have never heard of Permalast but this is my procedure (another coupla steps in your "Tea Ceremony"!! :) ):

1. Place record on Milty "cleaning mat" (stippled rubber).

2. Spray Permostat in 7 places and use their felt pad to get it all around the grooves. Wiping for a couple of rotations is sufficient (before the Permostat evaporates).

3. Flip LP and repeat. Absolutely no static left! :cool:

4. Drop the cleaning solution onto the LP and use your brush to wipe it around the groove annulus.

NB: Some people long ago said that Permostat left a white residue in the grooves (that the stylus subsequently dug out) ... so they stopped using it. I believe this was because they didn't do a wet/vacuum clean after applying the Permostat - because I've never had this problem!! :)

5. Use the Nitty Gritty.

6. Repeat 4 & 5 for the other side of the LP.

7. For new LPs, stop there. For used LPs repeat from 4 to 6.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks Andyr

So you Permastat it first, then clean - have I got that right?

If that's right, then it seems strange that the cleaning process doesn't wash off the Permastat?

Why do you find it strange, Bilbo? Maybe one of the ingedients in the Permostat binds to the vinyl to remove static? Maybe the vacuum clean indeed removes the stuff from the grooves but it remains on the top surface between the grooves?

I have no idea - all I do know is that it is 100% effective in removing static permanently. :)

I started to use it because when I first got my NG, I found the drops of cleaning fluid remained as liquid "cowpats", tightly constrained on the surface of the LP ... and it was relatively difficult to smear it all around the surface. I figured this was due to static so, when I first experimented with Permostat, I found the drops of cleaning fluid "dissolved into the grooves" and formed a big puddle - and were easy to spread around. And then as I've said, 20 years later there is still no static. :cool:

Regards,

Andy

Hey Andyr - that's brilliant.

I guess anything I don't understand always seems strange at first.

But who cares! If it works I'll give it a go.

The idea that I can get rid of static permanently is enough motivation.

No more ticks and clicks.

Just brilliant.

Thanks very much for the tip.

Cheers

Bilbo

PS* You may be interested in my LP "lazy susan" described on another thread.

Makes spinning the LP for cleaning a breeze!

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=16250&page=4

I started to use it because when I first got my NG, I found the drops of cleaning fluid remained as liquid "cowpats", tightly constrained on the surface of the LP ... and it was relatively difficult to smear it all around the surface. I figured this was due to static so, when I first experimented with Permostat, I found the drops of cleaning fluid "dissolved into the grooves" and formed a big puddle - and were easy to spread around.
Static would not be responsible for your cleaning fluid not spreading across the LP surface. That observation is the result of high surface tension in your cleaning fluid, most likely due to a high surfactant concentration. I suspect that by adding the permostat formula you have changed the surface tension of the cleaning fluid. Edited by Young Skywalker

I've got a Zerostat but don't use because I really don't think that it does anything useful. Sure it stops the record crackling with static but it doesn't seem to reduce the dust attracted to it. Putting the records through a RCM seems to keep them dust free far longer than a Zerostat.

Static would not be responsible for your cleaning fluid not spreading across the LP surface. That observation is the result of high surface tension in your cleaning fluid, most likely due to a high surfactant concentration. I suspect that by adding the permostat formula you have changed the surface tension of the cleaning fluid.

Whatever ... however, before cleaning the LP attracted the hairs on my arm, if I held my arm close to the surface of the LP; after cleaning - zero attraction. :) And removing static permanently is the aim of the exercise.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Proftournesol,

Please pardon my ingonorance here, you say " Putting the records through a RCM seems to keep them dust free far longer than a Zerostat.

What's the RCM you put them through?

Thanks and cheers,

Chris.

I've got a Zerostat but don't use because I really don't think that it does anything useful. Sure it stops the record crackling with static but it doesn't seem to reduce the dust attracted to it. Putting the records through a RCM seems to keep them dust free far longer than a Zerostat.

Hi Proftournesol,

Please pardon my ingonorance here, you say " Putting the records through a RCM seems to keep them dust free far longer than a Zerostat.

What's the RCM you put them through?

Thanks and cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

it's a Kuzma. Don't ask me to explain how cleaning the surface can reduce static but it does.

Hi Snowdownunder,

Thanks very much for the clarification and the Decibel/MOTH link.

I've been using a VPI machine for quite a few years now and am really very happy with it. It produces fantastic results.

As to whether or not I'll add a ZeroStat gun to my cleaning regime, remains to be seen.

Thanks for your help.

ChrisC

Some info on the moth RCMII

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/files/RCMII%20review.pdf

I've just got one of these and it seems to work well.

As to whether or not I'll add a ZeroStat gun to my cleaning regime, remains to be seen.

ChrisC

I was thinking of adding one a while ago when I got 4 LP's from the northern hemisphere. I couldn't believe how much static the four of them had. It was a like they were stuck to the inner sleeve, they must of got charged up on the journey somehow.

Anyway I haven't bought one (yet), and I’m still getting by OK.

Cheers,

snow.