Melody Audio

Well I was browsing through 6moons.com and came across a review of the Melody Audio i2a3 valve amplifier. The review says that the company is based in Melbourne!

My reaction was "Oh??? How come I have never heard of them???"

As usual, 6moons.com gave a glowing review of the amplifier. The photographs certainly show outstanding construction - point to point wiring and nice electronics throughout.

My question is - if they are an Australian company, how come they do not have more of an Australian presence?

Trevor Lees had some melody gear a while back,DTS in Sringvale also stocks some items.

I just recently read some glowing reports about them in some foreign rag,but the truth about them is a mixed bag.Theyare reported to be designed in Oz and manufactured in China by a Chinese businessman from Oz.But Steve from Reference Audio told me they are all Chinese,they throw the made in Oz tag in to give them some extra credibilty.Steve had a couple of HUGE monoblocks from Melody.

I have heard a few of them a while back,these were EL34 and EL36 tubed intergrateds,good value they were.Damm heavy as well.

Maybe call them.

Plenty of Melody gear in Oz, all privately imported at this stage from what i understand so no warranty.

Very good gear by reputation.

A distributor I deal with in Melbourne is actually in HK at one of the shows and wants to distribute Melody in OZ .

Apart from this person I had one here a client brought with him for an Audition but it never got hooked up so va not talk about them personally. Looked good though.

• 2 months later...

Guys,

l am considering doing some experimenting with some nice valve monoblock power amps, Melody is on the short list. Has anyone had the opportunity to hear their monoblocks, and does anybody know of a retailer in Mebourne that may have them in stock?

Cheers

Guest alebonau

Guys,

l am considering doing some experimenting with some nice valve monoblock power amps, Melody is on the short list. Has anyone had the opportunity to hear their monoblocks, and does anybody know of a retailer in Mebourne that may have them in stock?

Cheers

[/b]

mondie I have seen some melody amps in forward audio visual on victoria street in abbotsford. not sure if they have the mono blocs but the guys are quite keen and helpfull and I'm sure if your serious theyd get you a pair to check out.

Hey Mondie,

Try Warwick who you auditioned the Zu Loudspeakers with in Melbourne, he is importing them now.

Make sure you get it from a reputable importer like Warwick. Melody seems to allow anyone to buy batches wholesale and seller, there seems to be quite a few importers in Oz at the moment and melody products are always on Ebay now. Apart from Warwick I know a few other sellers at the moment.

Dlite,

l have been in touch with Warwick, he has nothing in the way of KT88 monoblocks coming at the moment. l will need to wait until he does hopefully in a few months. l see there are a few selling them but these are 230v models l believe.

Cheers

Hi All

I can probably add some clarity to the discussion re Melody. I am the only authorized distributor for Australia and I visited the Melody factory in Shenzhen, China late last year.

I wrote a report about it for 6moons http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/melody/melody.html

Details about the company background are in the report so I will not repeat them here.

I have a shipment on the way from Melody at the moment and all amplifiers have 240Volt transformers specifically for our market. Most of the products you see on eBay or elsewhere will be private imports originally intended for other markets and with transformers wound for 220 or 230 Volts.

There are integrated amplifiers and monoblocks ranging in price from $1490 to $4950.

Pure Music Group will be hosting a night for Planet Audio members to hear them in Melbourne during March and in Sydney later on. There will be other exciting new products as well. I will keep you posted as to times and places on this forum and on our website www.puremusicgroup.com

Regards to Everyone

Warwick

Pure Music Group will be hosting a night for Planet Audio members...

[/b]

This is great news. More GTGs at manufacturers & distributors.

I know these GTGs are relished by PA members, and I'm sure there is some pay off for the business putting on the GTG, directly or indirectly.

Personally, I have ordered new speakers resulting from a GTG @ a manufacturer.

I know other PA members have also done similar, in the short or longer term.

Its great to meet people at these events and get that bit closer to the actual players in the audio business, hear what they have to say, enjoy hearing their products and appreciating their time and hospitality.

At the end of the day, we all have upgrade-itis... It's a disease I tells ya!

G

Guest alebonau

This is great news. More GTGs at manufacturers & distributors.

I know these GTGs are relished by PA members, and I'm sure there is some pay off for the business putting on the GTG, directly or indirectly.

Personally, I have ordered new speakers resulting from a GTG @ a manufacturer.

I know other PA members have also done similar, in the short or longer term.

Its great to meet people at these events and get that bit closer to the actual players in the audio business, hear what they have to say, enjoy hearing their products and appreciating their time and hospitality.

At the end of the day, we all have upgrade-itis... It's a disease I tells ya!

G

[/b]

yes look forward to melbourne gtg organised by the pure music group especially if they have the melody amps on demo as well. And yes we're very fortunate to have the manufacturer & distributor involvement as we do with this kind of thing.

Hi All

I have a shipment on the way from Melody at the moment and all amplifiers have 240Volt transformers specifically for our market. Most of the products you see on eBay or elsewhere will be private imports originally intended for other markets and with transformers wound for 220 or 230 Volts.

Warwick

[/b]

Not to rain on your parade, but Australia is now conforming/transition to the international voltage of 230V.

Sorry Spearmint ... I was having a dimwitted moment. You're right, they need to be in context. I thought that it would be an interesting discussion that's all. I'll keep the split thread and move your comment back here.

Guys,

Cheers

[/b]

I'm consdiering playing with some valve kt88's either as monos or integrated. I haven't tried any of the stuff from china / ebay directly myself YET. But so many of the brands are now assembled in China. If it's cheap enough people will buy (hell you can land 4 x kt88 integrated $800 AU, trying buying the transformers and valves in Australia, see how much change you have from $800,). What I've noticed on some overseas forums is that guys are working out the bugs and modifying them (upping resistor wattages / values, adjusting bias, etc) in an open and co-operative manner. The same thing will happen here, and when demand is enough, some guys will start to repair stuff in their garages, and then offer repair services to others.

You can't be a dealer and not expect grey market parallel imports, what sell an item people can land for $800 for $1500, because if it dies, repairs might only cost $200, the saved $500 buys alot of beer.

It will be an evolution of early adopters willing to take a punt.

If I can get service details when I buy the unit, I'm happy to dust off my cro and multimeter, don't have valve tester :-(

I service my own transistor gear, but the price of this valve stuff from china, is making me read up on valves. Sorry guys, maybe this should be in the DIY forum.

• 10 years later...
On 07/02/2007 at 8:58 AM, WarwickF said:

Hi All

I can probably add some clarity to the discussion re Melody. I am the only authorized distributor for Australia and I visited the Melody factory in Shenzhen, China late last year.

I wrote a report about it for 6moons http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/melody/melody.html

Details about the company background are in the report so I will not repeat them here.

There are integrated amplifiers and monoblocks ranging in price from $1490 to $4950.

Pure Music Group will be hosting a night for Planet Audio members to hear them in Melbourne during March and in Sydney later on. There will be other exciting new products as well. I will keep you posted as to times and places on this forum and on our website www.puremusicgroup.com

Regards to Everyone

Warwick

Do you guys still supply Melody gear? I tried to email them and it bounced...

Melody had a big display in the Melb. HiFi show last weekend.  They were also there last year.  Had big monoblocks driving big JBL speakers. 

Scroll down the topic linked below of show reports and you will find lots of pics/comments on the Melody display. 

Edited by audiofeline

3 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Melody had a big display in the Melb. HiFi show last weekend.  They were also there last year.  Had big monoblocks driving big JBL speakers. 

Scroll down the topic linked below of show reports and you will find lots of pics/comments on the Melody display. 

Yeh I know, that's where i saw/heard their stuff!

I want to contact them. And the contact details they provided do not work.

• Like 1