Bearing lubrication idea

1 hour ago, Luc said:

@Rho Beta"Oils aint oils Sol."

And going by your avatar your old enough to remember that spiel.

haha! Yeah, that's me. A few years ago in fact. And yes I do remember that, "Oils ain't oils"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't use anything with molybdenum disulphide in it, anyone who has worked on automotive constant velocity joints can tell you how well this stuff dries out and turns into clumpy dry gum. It woul

I just arrived at StereoNet recently and am coming to grips with a new turntable, hence a revived thread.   Cheers

I did a lot of research on this and other turntable bearings, I agree not to use sewing machine oil. My feeling too is sae 5 is too light too looking at the bearing clearances, Technics for example sp

49 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I've heard of all sorts of substitutes but can only really recommend that you contact the manufacturer. Most OEM oils are fairly cheap as only small amounts are used.

Not all manufactures get it right, many smaller companies who build great turntables are not oil experts. Michell is a good example the recommend Mobile one car engine oil. A turntable does not need a multi grade (cold running) and an open bearing does not want emulsifying agents in the oil nor detergents keeping crud suspended as turntable bearings dont have an oil filter. It would have been far better if they suggested a similar weight machine oil . I emailed them a few times asking this question and they just ignored me emails.

1 litre of a decent compressor oil will cost about the same as 20mls so you will have enough for ever and even to use for other stuff.

Chris

56 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I've heard of all sorts of substitutes but can only really recommend that you contact the manufacturer. Most OEM oils are fairly cheap as only small amounts are used.

Yup. And I've done that today. Visited the Pro-ject Audio Australia web site and dropped them an email. I'll post here what I find out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2020 at 8:01 PM, Rho Beta said:

Yup. And I've done that today. Visited the Pro-ject Audio Australia web site and dropped them an email. I'll post here what I find out.

…And they kindly replied. I also contacted Sound Station HiFi in Toowoomba, where I bought the turntable and asked for advice. Pro-Ject Audio told me the bearing already comes lubricated (as you'd expect) and that should last for years. They also sell a product in a syringe applicator specifically for their inverted bearing turntable range (called Grease IT) and recommend this if you somehow need to re-apply lubrication to the bearing. A little goes a long way and one application should last years. Blair McCosker, the Sound Station proprietor suggested the best way to buy the product would be to buy it on line direct from the OEM. I agree.