Sign in to follow this  
acebase

sherwood newcastle P-965 a/v processor

I've read elsewhere, people are pretty certain this Sherwood/Newcastle mob are oem'ing these pre/pow combos for others like Outlaw and such. Claims are they also make something like 70% 30% of the oem reciever market also.

Food for thought. :blink:

Edit: corrected percentage figure (care of DigitalObserver)

Edited by Mike Rowesoft

Eastwood Hi Fi (boy are they getting a lot of mentions recently - no publicity is bad publicity!) reported:

July 21st (2005) - Whilst trolling around the 'net looking for another brand to grace our shelves, I found an interesting fact - Sherwood manufacture around 30% of all A/V receivers, most on an OEM basis. Some of the companies they manufacture for are Denon and Harmon Kardon (not all their models) and since they were two brands we were looking at, I thought I'd go straight to the source and check out the Sherwood range. I'd always equated Sherwood to lower end A/V gear, how wrong! I ordered the P-965 / A965 pre-power amp. combo and it arrived today. This stuff is just awesome, the power amp (7 X 100 REAL Watts) weighs in at 32kgs with the pre amp at 16.4kgs (that's the total weight of most integrated, so called 100 Watt per channel receivers). . . . . . .

Great job Wallaby,

You've summed up just about every upgrade ever done.

- The boxes are always bigger than you think.

- The CFO never knows exactly what's coming.

- You say you'll take your time and do it on the weekend before fiddling all night.

- The gear never fits where the old stuff used to be.

- The family are rarely as excited as you are.

- You gets the grins from the minute you turn the new stuff on.

- There's always some minor niggle that takes a while to sought out.

- Installing is full of expletives :blink:

Thanks for the review.

Chui

Hmm sounds great wal,im looking for a pre/pro soon and the sherwood was on my list of possibilties along with nad and rotel,will look forward to more of your coments after some more listening.

Wheelz, I was originally gonna go the Yammy as a pre (like you), then Rotel pre and power route, but bang for buck, I couldn't go past the Sherwood.

BTW, some of our gear is the same - MX700, CC240, sub and I have ATS4's so some of my experiences will be relevant for you. I'll post more findings as I go along.

I've emailed Sherwood tech support and they're looking into the DVD-R issue. I've got a feeling that it may be related to zone 2 which I've always found to be less than intuitive (regardless of brand) and equally poorly described in manuals :blink: .

- Installing is full of expletives :P

Chui

The review was quite restrained compared to the reality :P

Edited by Wallaby

If what you say is true, then interestingly enough, D&M Holdings is behind them.

Edit: Yep seems correct, as backs of amps and pro's are near on identical in layout.

this post of spearmints showed the sherwood and outlaw to be cousins

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&show...ndpost&p=182774

there is another brand too...name escapes me that is absolutely identical inside and with the back panel as these two. campaspie used to sell it but with them going down theres not much info left on their site anymore.

theres a few clone HT pre-pwrs out there. Many 2ch brands think they must have a HT pre-pro and multichannel in their in their range and often it seems turn to the likes of sherwood to come up with the goods out their chinese factory.

Korean company manufactures Sherwood (etc) they have been around 4 25 years. Korean reviewers state - how can this company profit with this product - as it is so well designed & built & internal components r of high standard as well. mayb in a month I will have my processors?