Sign in to follow this  
acebase

sherwood newcastle P-965 a/v processor

I found only one review - absolute sound site. Does anyone have any experience feedback or links for this product ?. I am aware limited supply/demand in Oz but appears to be in demand in USA

I found only one review - absolute sound site. Does anyone have any experience feedback or links for this product ?. I am aware limited supply/demand in Oz but appears to be in demand in USA

was this one you checked out

http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/sherwood.htm

Not many reviews but plenty of good feedback and a number of threads at AVSForums.

Seems to be getting some great reviews...

not much in the way of technical comparisons though

I've just ordered the A965 and P965 combo to replace my Yamaha RX-V1000. Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend and I should be able to give a bit of feedback next week.

I've just ordered the A965 and P965 combo to replace my Yamaha RX-V1000. Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend and I should be able to give a bit of feedback next week.

Wal i will look forward to your thoughts on the pre,

replacing Rotel 1066 Processor asap with P-965 on order mayb next month I will have it but keepin Rotel 5 x 200 watt amp will do me fine

replacing Rotel 1066 Processor asap with P-965 on order mayb next month I will have it but keepin Rotel 5 x 200 watt amp will do me fine

Acebase, Wallaby - did you buy from Eastwood?

Nice units btw

I've been mulling over getting the Sherwood R965 which is the amp/processor all in the one, i've seen one in the flesh absolute beast of a machine.

I can get it direct from Sherwood for $1899 :blink: or I can get the R865 (the model down) for $1499

From IBS Electronics Summer Hill & have purchased other products there also. re audio/receiver model (review found stereophile -home theater) price u have gained 4 another $300 approx = price 4 P-965.

Acebase, Wallaby - did you buy from Eastwood?

Nice units btw

Yeah, they're currently on special at Eastwood hifi and Steve will do a deal on the combo. The prices are much cheaper than you can get in the US which is unusual (to say the least). BTW he's a great guy to deal with...returns calls, emails, answers stupid questions etc etc.

I've been mulling over getting the Sherwood R965 which is the amp/processor all in the one, i've seen one in the flesh absolute beast of a machine.

I can get it direct from Sherwood for $1899 :blink: or I can get the R865 (the model down) for $1499

Do you mean purchasing direct from Wellings? I tried and they wouldn't go for it.

From IBS Electronics Summer Hill & have purchased other products there also. re audio/receiver model (review found stereophile -home theater) price u have gained 4 another $300 approx = price 4 P-965.

Acebase, did you get the pair or the receiver? Out of interest what did you pay (PM if more appropriate)

cheers

Scott

Hey Wallaby,

Do the models in Australia now have SNAP installed?

These things seem like good value.

Cheers,

Chui

Yeah, they're currently on special at Eastwood hifi and Steve will do a deal on the combo. The prices are much cheaper than you can get in the US which is unusual (to say the least). BTW he's a great guy to deal with...returns calls, emails, answers stupid questions etc etc.

Do you mean purchasing direct from Wellings? I tried and they wouldn't go for it.

Acebase, did you get the pair or the receiver? Out of interest what did you pay (PM if more appropriate)

cheers

Scott

I can purchase direct from Welling, basically because I work for a company that sells their product. Buying direct saves quite a bit, im suprised though that the general public aren't allowed to buy direct.

Hey Wallaby,

Do the models in Australia now have SNAP installed?

These things seem like good value.

Cheers,

Chui

Chui, as far as I know, not at this stage. It's an retro option in the US (return to base). It would be a particularly handy option if you had different brand or mismatched sets of speakers.

cheers

Scott

Scottas previously stated P -975 - P = Processor only - not a/v R = Receiver

as I beleive my amp is more thab adequate - as wll my room size does not meet requirements 4 - 7 channels/speakers. Interested in feedback from Wal who got/gettin the package. Re On pricing they (as I requested) matched Eastwoods - & that is fine by me. As IBS is closer & much more convient as well 4 me

These crazy prices will not last & my friend is soon 2 make same purchase as me 2

cheers

Scott

Scottas previously stated P -975 - P = Processor only - not a/v R = Receiver

as I beleive my amp is more thab adequate - as wll my room size does not meet requirements 4 - 7 channels/speakers. Interested in feedback from Wal who got/gettin the package. Re On pricing they (as I requested) matched Eastwoods - & that is fine by me. As IBS is closer & much more convient as well 4 me

These crazy prices will not last & my friend is soon 2 make same purchase as me 2

Hey Acebase, I started setting up the Sherwood last night and everything has gone well except for my Panasonic DVD-Recorder. Do you have a DVD-R hooked up to yours, and if so, thru what connection?

I have mine set thru vid 2 (in) and video 1 (out). The picture from other sources (FTA DTV and Fox) via the DVD-R is there but is all distorted but playback from old recordings on the hard drive are fine. The manual doesn't help at all - any thoughts?

Enjoy the Sherwwod. Ive had mine for 1.5 yrs now, and wouldnt exchange it for the world. An awsome machine.

Best part is it has 7.1 out, so its future proof for the new HD-DVD/B-R formats like DTS+ and DD+

I have mine set thru vid 2 (in) and video 1 (out). The picture from other sources (FTA DTV and Fox) via the DVD-R is there but is all distorted but playback from old recordings on the hard drive are fine. The manual doesn't help at all - any thoughts?

Wal you need to have the recorder set as,"video 1or2 in" and there should be a "video1or2 out" as well, this might be were its connected wrong. you dont have it conected as vid1in and vid2 out they must be conected to the same video input number.eg vcr can be video 1 in and out and your dvd recorder can be video2 in and out.

Wal you need to have the recorder set as,"video 1or2 in" and there should be a "video1or2 out" as well, this might be were its connected wrong. you dont have it conected as vid1in and vid2 out they must be conected to the same video input number.eg vcr can be video 1 in and out and your dvd recorder can be video2 in and out.

Hi Wheelz, thanks - I did try that and that's what has confused me although it was pretty late by this stage - I think I should start again with a fresh head.

I've gotta say that I like what I've heard so far - the Aarons have had new life breathed into them. I'm still keen on some Orpheus Aurora 3's but I'll have to rest the Visa card for a while, and given the imrpovement in sound, I can happily live with them for some time to come.

Enjoy the Sherwwod. Ive had mine for 1.5 yrs now, and wouldnt exchange it for the world. An awsome machine.

Best part is it has 7.1 out, so its future proof for the new HD-DVD/B-R formats like DTS+ and DD+

Thanks Dazbug, I'll try and enjoy it :blink:

Do you have a DVD-R hooked up?

How's the weight and size of these things??? 33kg for the amp alone.

Another question, do you have your pre sitting on your amp or do you keep them separated. I currently have the pre sitting on the amp and relocating will be an issue because of the depth of the unit (on any other shelf, it actually sits against the rear of the cabinet making it impossible to plug anything in). I noticed the pre gets a little warm, but the amp was fine.

so hows about an actual review from one of you guys on these babies. this is the review forum you know ! :blink:

so hows about an actual review from one of you guys on these babies. this is the review forum you know ! :P

You asked for it...

As Al has pointed out, this particular forum is a review forum, and this particular thread is lacking a review. so here we go.

Presenting Wallaby's first impressions of the Sherwood P965 and A965…

I’d been toying up with the idea of upgrading my Yamaha RX-V1000 for some time and I’d been looking at a number of brands. One of my motivators for upgrading was for an improved 2 channel stereo experience (since getting a Squeezebox, my music listening has increased exponentially… funny how the purchase of one component can cost thousands). Anyway, separates sounded the way to go. I did a bit of research and without asking anyone on the forums where was the cheapest place to buy the Sherwood Newcastle combo, I settled on the deal at Eastwood HiFi. I rang Steve and after a bit of haggling, settled on a price.

When I first decided to buy the 965 combo, Steve had warned me that the boxes “are pretty big”. Right, no worries, I’ll keep that in mind. We did the credit card thing and a couple of days later the courier company arrived at work with a couple of boxes. My first thought was “Bloody hell, they’re big boxes, they won’t fit in the backseat!”. I went to move them and had to take a second go. The box marked 965A (the amp) weighs in at a healthy 33kg, or about 70lbs. The lightweight pre weighs in at a “mere” 16kg. And I was right, they didn’t fit in the back of the car. To get them home in their packaging, I had to enlist the aid of a mate with a ute.

As an aside, the size of the boxes also made it very difficult to smuggle them into the house without the wife seeing them (she wasn’t forewarned that they came in 2 boxes).

Anyway, that evening I decided to do some unpacking. “Hey cooool” as I opened the pre box, it comes with a MX-500 remote (actually it’s an OEM version), that’ll match my MX-700. I took the pre out to look…did I mention it’s heavy? Mmmm, very cool, lots of inputs and outputs including 3 component in and 6 s-vid…

Apart from the MX-500, there's a 2nd remote for zone 2, some Duracell batteries, radio aerials, and a manual written by a person fluent in English as a second language. I had to look in the amp box too. Nice...It comes complete with all 7 cables, a manual and a nice fat power cord.

I decided, “right I’m going to do this right, I’ll wait till the weekend to set this up”. This was on Tuesday night. Did you see all my questions today? I asked them on Thursday…bloody hopeless…I managed to hold off for one night!!

After disconnecting the Yammy, it was time to replace it with the combo. First the amp. Sh!t, this thing is heavy. 33kg is especially heavy when you’re leaning into a cabinet trying to place it correctly. It’s also big, probably about 10cm deeper than the Yammy and about 5cm taller. I fitted the pre on the shelf above and found that it’s too deep for the shelf … well actually it fits perfectly, it’s fits so perfectly that there’s no room at the back to fit cables. I had to move it to sit on top of the amp. After another couple of hours of connections etc and I’m ready for the big moment (ie connect the electricity). By this stage, Mrs Wallaby is unimpressed – she has missed Mcleods Daughters and the kids are cranky ‘cause Disney Playhouse isn’t on, so it’s time to pull up and spend some quality time. My longing looks at the stereo cabinet work and within minutes I’m excused to return to the Sherwood.

Power on and…..FARK, that sounds good. No tweaking and I’m already grinning. OK, let’s listen to the Squeezebox and……oooooh yeaaahhh, that’s nice. How about “pure audio”. Sensational. My Aarons are now able to separate different instruments, and sound so much better (that’s gonna slow down the upgrade path by a few weeks I’m sure). Vocals are clean, bass is tight and suddenly I have a mid range….cool!!!

Now it’s time to calibrate the system. The auto setup does it’s normal pink noise tests, makes a few changes and then I'm over to the DVD rack….mmmm which one?….War of the Worlds (the DTS version is a great demo disc). Fire it up, jump to the scene where the tripods come out of the street and ….sen-friggin-sational.

I then checked that the component out to the PJ worked at the same time as s-vid to the TV and no probs (my TV is RGB or s-vid but not component so the simulatneous outputs is important to me). The upscaling of Fox from s-vid to component actually looks quite good. Component images look great and possibly are improved (or I'm kidding myself...would actually need a blind test).

It’s only day 2 of the upgrade but as you might have gathered I’m impressed. I’m looking forward to more tweaking.

If you've been following this thread you'll know that my DVD-R isn’t working how it should and I still haven’t worked out why – I’ve swapped cables, inputs etc but no joy. I’ll have to send an email to Sherwood, or Eastwood, for that one.

For those sick of the rantings, here are the vital statistics for the pre:

• DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix

• DTS-96/24; DTS NEO-6

• Dolby Digital EX

• Dolby Pro Logic IIx fully adjustable

• Dolby Virtual Speaker

• Dolby Headphone Layers 1, 2, 3

• Digitally Re-Masters PCM to 192 /24

• 192 kHz 24-bit DAC’s for all channels

• Pure Analog Mode; Pure Digital Mode

• Selectable Bass Crossover frequencies

• Upgradeable operating system

• Universal Video upconverts composite and S-Video to Component Video

• 5 Optical and 2 Coaxial Digital Inputs

• Optical Digital Output

• A/V Synch Delay

• Automatic Speaker Set-up

• On Screen Display (from all video outputs)

• RNC-500 Remote Control

• Programmable Video Input Labeling

• 24-Bit CS-49400 Crystal Processor

• 12 DSP Modes

• 7.1 channel direct input with bass management

• Sampling Frequency Display

• Room 2 A/V Output with fixed/variable audio level, S-Video and coaxial digital

• IR control with 2 inputs and 1 output

• Dedicated Room 2 Remote

• 2 Video Record Out Selectors

• Two 12-Volt Triggers, one is user assignable

• 3 Component Video Inputs switched by relays for unlimited bandwidth

• 5 Rear Panel Audio/Video Inputs

• 6 Audio Inputs with Phono

• Front Panel A/V Input

• Cinema EQ

• Tone Defeat

• Channel Level Memory

• Advanced 4-gang FM tuner

• 30 Station Presets

• Digi-Link III

• Sleep Timer

• Aluminum Front Panel

And the stats for the amp

• Designed for Low Impedance Loads

• All-Channels-Driven Power 20 Hz-20kHz 100 Watts per channel (x 7) into 8 ohms

• 160 Watts per channel (x 7) into 4 ohms

• THD <0.02% from 20 Hz-20 kHz, 8 ohms

• THD <0.09% from 20 Hz-20 kHz, 4 ohms

• 2 Toroidal Power Transformers

• 7 Separate Discrete Amplifier Modules Built as 7 Separate Monoblock Amplifiers

• Totally Discrete Amplifier Stage for All Channels

• Gold Plated Inputs

• Heavy-Duty Speaker Binding Posts compatible with bare wire, banana plugs and spade lugs

• Remote turn-on via 12-Volt external input

• Aluminum Front Panel

Amplifier Features

• Dynamic Headroom, 8 ohms, 1.5 dB

• Dynamic Power (EIA Standard Rating)

• 300 watts per channel, 4 ohms

• 480 watts per channel, 2 ohms

:blink:

excellent to read your early impressions on the sherwood combo wallaby, good on you for posting. Its pretty rare we get peoples impressions on some thign like this so great to read.

All you need to do now if you can is take a couple of pics to show them off in the flesh !

and yes do post back further down the track as you get to spend more time with them and get to knwo them better.

and oh yes goiod luck with the dvd-r player !

Hmm sounds great wal,im looking for a pre/pro soon and the sherwood was on my list of possibilties along with nad and rotel,will look forward to more of your coments after some more listening.

Great review Wallaby. I can remember Dazbug being in rapture 18mths ago with his integrated too

The power sounds like its got plenty of grunt with 160wx7.

Happy days are ahead at the movies for the Wallaby clan