37" 1920x1080 LCD + 80GB HDD recorder + stand for $2600

Yeh I am currently messing with powerstrip (well not currently... at work atm!) - hence the whack res of 1912x1072p.

So far any attempt at 1920x1080p has resulted in overscan as i said though there seems to be some issues with ATIs and displaying this res correctly to these sort of dsiplays - hopefully the 7800 tonite will fix things (and give me a reason to upgrade :blink:).

Also - physically the TV actually looks pretty good without the speakers - nice even smallish silver bezel :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Campster I hope you get it running. It really has potential.. I had a look at this unit and the picture was washed out...I was still keen to have a good look at it and the only thing that stopped me buying it for a try was the worry of not being able to find a service menu code. I have bought service manuals from a company in the blue mountains for TVs in the past. Lost the link though.

That unit really did have potential though. Can you confirm that it won't take a progressive signal via either component?

cheers,

Havent tried component yet (other than for the 360 - which it took 720p fine). As for the service menu/manual thats the biggest problem I'm having right now!!!

I NEED IT!!! NOW!!! haha I'm really keen to find it - the BenQ 3750 is a very similar monitor so Im thinking that would do the job to...

well I'm heading out to dinner but the service code of the Acer is 2 3 4 5 menu"

This is really only a diagnotic.

and thanks to another user "To get into "factory mode", with the tv on, press volume down and channel up buttons together for about 3 sec on the tv itself. The screen will briefly turn black, you can then press the menu key for the options. "

the Benq is meant to be an incestuous partner of the Acer...

Cheers,

SUCCESS!!!! My mate currently has his pc hooked up to it (7800gtx) and it getting a perfectly clean 1920x1080 with no overscan - its sooooooooo much clearer and gaming/videos etc are fantastic :blink:

Very happy - only real let down now is the 360 doesnt look perfect (pretty damn awesome though). Really wish it had a better component input so as to allow 1080i to be hooked up to it from the 360.

Hmm now do i keep it or take it back - I'm grabbing a 7900gt tommorow, I think I'll keep it... bah if only the 360 hook up was perfect!!!!!!

Well, not that anyone seems to care by the response to this thread BUT I just got 1080p working perfectly via DVI from my ATI card! I installed new drivers and bang - perfect 1080p! So I'm now VERY impressed with this screen - been palying way too much counter strike on it already still probably going to upgrade though - the X800XL just doesnt keep up at this res :blink:

Well, not that anyone seems to care by the response to this thread BUT I just got 1080p working perfectly via DVI from my ATI card! I installed new drivers and bang - perfect 1080p! So I'm now VERY impressed with this screen - been palying way too much counter strike on it already still probably going to upgrade though - the X800XL just doesnt keep up at this res :blink:

Well, I'll congratulate you!

On the Acer people had to do DVI>>HDMI to get 1080p, but this display doesn't have HDMI, so to get 1080p over DVI>>DVI is pretty damn good!

What refresh rates can you get? 50Hz? 60Hz? 72Hz?

Adrian

good stuff,

The acer will get over scan at 1980x1920 via dvit o hdmi, funny that you screen doesnt get over scan with the nvidia congrats.

For brightness the acer is way to bright im allways turning it down.

be nice to see if anyone gets 1080p working with out powerstrip on a older nvidia card.

cheers.

good stuff,

The acer will get over scan at 1980x1920 via dvit o hdmi, funny that you screen doesnt get over scan with the nvidia congrats.

For brightness the acer is way to bright im allways turning it down.

be nice to see if anyone gets 1080p working with out powerstrip on a older nvidia card.

cheers.

In terms of screen brightness this guy's pretty intense to - fantastic when sitting back on the couch but a bit overwhelming when using it as a monitor.

As for refresh rates - I just tried with my X800XL and it's happy with 50hz through to 70hz, doesn't like above ~71hz though :blink:

Also it actually is reporting the 1920x1080 @ 60hz or whatever signal I send it so it definately takes it :P

..., doesn't like above ~71hz though :blink:

Not surprising, 1920x1080p72 is right at the maximum designed bandwith for single-link DVI (and even then it requires careful tweaking of the timing parameters); so any component in the chain that is not 100% to spec will stop you getting to 72Hz.

But for a monitor 70Hz is certainly better than 60Hz ...

Adrian

Not surprising, 1920x1080p72 is right at the maximum designed bandwith for single-link DVI (and even then it requires careful tweaking of the timing parameters); so any component in the chain that is not 100% to spec will stop you getting to 72Hz.

Adrian

It most definately is BUT I'll be using it for both gaming and digital tv from the pc. The digital TV will want 50hz to eliminate juddering and gaming will love 70hz... I was hoping for 75hz which would have been perfect for both!

It most definately is BUT I'll be using it for both gaming and digital tv from the pc. The digital TV will want 50hz to eliminate juddering and gaming will love 70hz... I was hoping for 75hz which would have been perfect for both!

Hi Campster - I've been reading your posts with interest. The fact that this unit will do 1080p from a pc without a whole lot of mucking about is great - hopefully we'll be soon be seeing more panels that can do the same. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about the image quality that you're seeing. How well does it do black? Are you seeing lack of detail in dark areas? Any image smearing? Any light leakage or other issues?

Cheers,

jakes.

... I was hoping for 75hz which would have been perfect for both!

Yep!

Unfortunately I don't think Silicon Image was thinking about the 50% of the OECD that uses 50Hz-based systems when they designed TMDS with a 165Mhz max bandwith ... if they'd chosen 172-175MHz it would have been fine ...

Actually, given that for most of the 1990's computer display systems were going 72Hz+ to improve OH&S by reducing eye-strain, it was pretty damn stupid to have allowed this limitation to have crept in.

Adrian

Hi Campster - I've been reading your posts with interest. The fact that this unit will do 1080p from a pc without a whole lot of mucking about is great - hopefully we'll be soon be seeing more panels that can do the same. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about the image quality that you're seeing. How well does it do black? Are you seeing lack of detail in dark areas? Any image smearing? Any light leakage or other issues?

Cheers,

jakes.

Hey man,

I'm an image quality freak. After coming from a CRT projector I found it a tough transation to deal with blacks that were not perfect! Saying that, this unit is pretty decent - shadow detail is fantastic only let down is the actual fade to black level - it's only ever dark grey not a perfect black (which is just the nature of lcds!). It's as good as most LCD's I've seen - the new Bravia's and Samsungs however seem to have a slightly better absolute black level.

Light leakage is non existant (my old LCD monitor suffered greatly from it) and response time is fantastic - no image smearing. Overall picture quality is FANTASTIC from a GOOD SOURCE - Channel 9 HD, 1080i/p clips from the net, etc. SD content is good not great when close up (my SD plasma is a whole heap better at this), but from a typical viewing distance it is fine. In comparison to other 1080p panels I've seen - Acer/Benq/Phillips it is very comparable.

Promise me you won't go by how they have it setup in store - it was awful at the store here in Adelaide. With a good source and proper 1080p from a PC it is a fantastic TV/monitor.

Only issue is with the component input but I don't know if that's my 360's fault or the actual component input on the unit...

Hey man,

I'm an image quality freak. After coming from a CRT projector I found it a tough transation to deal with blacks that were not perfect! Saying that, this unit is pretty decent - shadow detail is fantastic only let down is the actual fade to black level - it's only ever dark grey not a perfect black (which is just the nature of lcds!). It's as good as most LCD's I've seen - the new Bravia's and Samsungs however seem to have a slightly better absolute black level.

Light leakage is non existant (my old LCD monitor suffered greatly from it) and response time is fantastic - no image smearing. Overall picture quality is FANTASTIC from a GOOD SOURCE - Channel 9 HD, 1080i/p clips from the net, etc. SD content is good not great when close up (my SD plasma is a whole heap better at this), but from a typical viewing distance it is fine. In comparison to other 1080p panels I've seen - Acer/Benq/Phillips it is very comparable.

Promise me you won't go by how they have it setup in store - it was awful at the store here in Adelaide. With a good source and proper 1080p from a PC it is a fantastic TV/monitor.

Only issue is with the component input but I don't know if that's my 360's fault or the actual component input on the unit...

Wow, thanks for that very detailed write-up. I've only seen the unit running a slide show type presentation in the window of a store, so wasn't willing to make any judgements about it's performance on that basis.

I'm not sure if you've already said, but is your HTPC the only source that you're using or do you have other components like an HD set-top box hooked up?

Wow, thanks for that very detailed write-up. I've only seen the unit running a slide show type presentation in the window of a store, so wasn't willing to make any judgements about it's performance on that basis.

I'm not sure if you've already said, but is your HTPC the only source that you're using or do you have other components like an HD set-top box hooked up?

Only things hooked up atm = HTPC and Xbox 360. I'm reserving judgement on whether its a perfect as purely TV til I've hooked up my HD STB, which is currently downstairs, via component as I imagine this is going to be the standard setup for most people.

But in my situation for the 360 + HTPC (with digital TV card, etc) it is fantastic :blink:

..., doesn't like above ~71hz though :blink:

Adrian

Actually, if you want to play around with the advanced timing settings for ATI or NVidia, these settings may get you up to 72Hz:

Horizontal Pixels: F Porch: 32, B Porch 64, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 32, (SR 80.57), BEA 1920

Vertical Pixels: F Porch 3, B Porch 31, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 5, Refresh 71.999, BEA 1080.

Interlace Mode "off", Pixel Clock 165.00.

VSync "-" will probably work too.

Good luck!

Adrian

Actually, if you want to play around with the advanced timing settings for ATI or NVidia, these settings may get you up to 72Hz:

Horizontal Pixels: F Porch: 32, B Porch 64, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 32, (SR 80.57), BEA 1920

Vertical Pixels: F Porch 3, B Porch 31, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 5, Refresh 71.999, BEA 1080.

Interlace Mode "off", Pixel Clock 165.00.

VSync "-" will probably work too.

Good luck!

Adrian

Very nice - now running at 71.998 on my X800XL in about an hour I'll test the 7900gt :blink:

WOW!! That was so easy, everyone struggling with the Acer will be foaming at the mouth ...

Adrian

Well I've got my 7900gt installed now (volt modded and overclocked already...) and its feeding the display a perfect 1920x1080p 72hz :blink:

Very happy - and obviously very happy with th performance increase to!