37" 1920x1080 LCD + 80GB HDD recorder + stand for $2600

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that 12ms grey to grey? Or is it proper 12ms?

thats a funny thing to ask !

grey to grey is the 'propper' one. Its black to black that is the 'untrue' measurement

Liquid crystals change state much faster if you hit them with full voltage. Thus going from black to white to black again is the 'quickest' way to make them change. This gives a great marketing spec and misguided many people (but anybody sensible would take a spec with a grain of salt and go look at the unit playing sports etc)

Along came grey to grey. this is a 1/2 state transition. its thus 'half voltage' and a more accurate indication of the slowness of the screen. The thing to to rememeber is that its only changing half way (grey) so you nedd to DOUBLE this figure.

so in summary

old = 16ms btb

new = 8ms gtg (but double to indicate 16ms) <<< best indicator of speed so far

hope that helps to clear up the muddy waters of lcd speed ratings

Edited by mybrains

This screen is the same as the acer. We put a 1920 x 1080p through a pc and no probs good picture once you set it up right. We took the refresh down to 29hz and this was when we realized the graphics card doesnt read the refresh on lcd but the screen produced a good progresive picture from 30hz to 125. If you go below 30 thats the only way the eye can tell the diferance. In progresive we cant tell any differance from 30-60 unlike interlaced,epilepsy central.

Jok11n - thanks for the information

Saw the unit this afternoon - price on the panel was $ 2,499 and it was connected to a DVD via composite - the picture was a shocker

Asked the sale guy on the price if the whole package was $ 2,600 - he said I can offer it to you for $ 2,200 with 3 years warranty) and that if purchased in the package it only had 12 months warranty (where do they get these guys from??)

Had no time to look to hook it up to something decent - perhaps tomorrow

That's kind of right and wrong, the package has the set top box and stand which is 12 months warranty and the panel which is 3 years warranty (the 3 year warranty details are in the box for the panel) but each component has its own individual warranty anyway so as a package you have two components with 12 month warranty ($30 extra to do 3 years warranty on the set top box) and the panel which has 3 years warranty regardless.

Where these guys come from I don't know, but I can bet it wasn't setup correctly anyway, as you mentioned DVD via composite connection isn't going to do it any favours, like most retailers it's hard to judge the panel by how its been setup in store, they are almost always shown at their worst.

I'll be going down to my local Strathfield to look at one of these when they get it in on Tuesday. If it looks good, I think I'm going to buy one.

I'll take my notebook PC with me for a quick test and report back on the PQ. Unfortunately, I'll only be able to hook up to it via VGA as my system doesn't have DVI out.

BTW you can download a spec sheet for this display here.

Rob W

~~

Saw the unit this afternoon - price on the panel was $ 2,499 and it was connected to a DVD via composite - the picture was a shocker

~~

Had no time to look to hook it up to something decent - perhaps tomorrow

Wonder what they would do if you asked for a big discount on the basis of it producing a shocking picture?

If a HD lcd is showing a cr*ppy picture running 576i, all this proves is the inbuilt deinterlacer and scaler aint much chop. Its probabbly not an indication of the panel PQ. Ideally this is totally bypassed if you run the unit from a HTPC direct over DVI at native res (1920x1080).

Its such a shame that shops never run digital feeds. I was in DSE today looking at the acer 37" again, and they also had a dvd running 567i over component. eeek. We tryed to get 1080p over VGA happening but the acer wasnt having a bar of it.....

I think 90% of retailers are guilty of running sub standard feeds to TV's these days, I went TV shopping recently for a relative, I hadn't been to the HN, GG, JB etc for a while and was amazed to see how bad things looked, even the TV I ended up buying looked terrible on the shop floor, I wasn't deterred because I knew it was not setup correctly and it looks very good now its home and calibrated correctly, it did make me wonder how they sell as many as they do though.

• 1 month later...

So I need a conforimation from someone... Does this thing definately accept a 1920x1080p signal at 50hz and 60hz (either/or) without scaling and does it do it solidly?

Seems the answer is yes from 1 person but i've heard conflicting reports...

Pleeeeease surely someone has tested this!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey - I've just got off the phone to strathfield about this LCD and am going to pick one up this afternoon - they have guaranteed me that if I can't input 1920x1080 from my compouter they will refund me the money fully. They only have the disply model left but it has no dead pixels which is fantastic and I should be able to get it a fair bit cheaper. So I'm probably looking at $1900 for this with the guarantee its going to be perfect to hook up to my PC or my money back.

So I'll have some reports on this soon (I'll be hooking it up to my 360 aswell).

I'll at least have it all weekend - if it's not suitable it'll be back on Monday :blink:

Ok - first thing - 360 - looks like crap through component even at 1080i. Thruogh VGA however it looks awesome - im running it at 1280x720 and even though it doesnt match the native res of the lcd it looks awesome :blink:

The PC has been an issue - got it running at 1912x1072p @ 50hz on my ati card atm - looks pretty average though (although better than lower resolutions). Can't get 192x1080p without overscan (doesnt sync at all at 60hz) - BUT I'm trying an nvidia card tonite (7800gtx) and these seem to have a lot more luck getting a good dvi 1080p signal to these 37inch lcds (re the acer thread).

Will report back tommorow with results :P

As for overall picture quality - its pretty good - not amazing - contrast could be better - thats the biggest gripe really - when sending it a progressive signal the response time is fantastic (although interlaced ones produce a bit of blurring).

You may have to play around with the video card to get it working properly, I remember someone saying that they got theirs doing 1920x1080 (using powerstrip maybe???) so it would seem capable, a bit of trial and error I guess. Interested to know how you get on anyway.