Sign in to follow this  
FlashGordon

HDD-J35 Firmware Update....?

Hi All,

Slighty off topic....but relevant to this section. I contacted Castel about upgrading the firmware on my Toshiba HDD-J35 that I have had almost a year with its own little quirks.

Van at Castel said it was easy enough to do myself, armed with computer/laptop; Null Modem Cable and the latest Firmware upgrade.

Well I have the Notebook that can be used - but would need an adaptor to utilise the USB port - close by with the Tosh unit and TV, etc....and I have downloaded the firmware and put it on my notebook and printed out the instructions....blah blah

But where the hell can I actually (not theoretically or possibly) get a Null Modem Cable (DB9 - DB9) from here in Perth?

Has anybody actually seen these cables in ANY Store (Computer/Dick Smith/Tandy et al) in PERTH?

If yes, please tell me which one and where....as I have been round to at least 8 stores like above till I am footsore and hardly any of the guys knows what the cable is...and when they do...dont have it in stock (big shock there for Perth). Two even tried to sell me the straight through serial cable at a Tandy and Dick Smith Store....

Any help with this would be great.

TIA

FG

Hi All,

Slighty off topic....but relevant to this section. I contacted Castel about upgrading the firmware on my Toshiba HDD-J35 that I have had almost a year with its own little quirks.

Van at Castel said it was easy enough to do myself, armed with computer/laptop; Null Modem Cable and the latest Firmware upgrade.

Well I have the Notebook that can be used - but would need an adaptor to utilise the USB port - close by with the Tosh unit and TV, etc....and I have downloaded the firmware and put it on my notebook and printed out the instructions....blah blah

But where the hell can I actually (not theoretically or possibly) get a Null Modem Cable (DB9 - DB9) from here in Perth?

Has anybody actually seen these cables in ANY Store (Computer/Dick Smith/Tandy et al) in PERTH?

If yes, please tell me which one and where....as I have been round to at least 8 stores like above till I am footsore and hardly any of the guys knows what the cable is...and when they do...dont have it in stock (big shock there for Perth). Two even tried to sell me the straight through serial cable at a Tandy and Dick Smith Store....

Any help with this would be great.

TIA

FG

I could not find one either - some tried to sell me a straight through cable, saying it was the same. I eventually made my own from a straight through cable.

When I phoned Castel later to obtain another firmware upgrade they sent me the correct cable. Maybe they could do the same for you.

It doesn't help you at all, But I picked mine up from the Sunday computer markets in Melbourne for around $5 ....

Are there computer swap-meets in Perth you could try ? Hmm..I'm off to Brisbane next week, do they have them there, and is so where ?????

I guess I'm trying to say maybe computer stores could help you.

If you just can't find one anywhere, I'll send you mine if you want to pay for postage to Perth and back to Adelaide...............

PM if needed......

Austen.

I could not find one either - some tried to sell me a straight through cable, saying it was the same. I eventually made my own from a straight through cable.

When I phoned Castel later to obtain another firmware upgrade they sent me the correct cable. Maybe they could do the same for you.

Thanks for your input....always nice to know I am not alone.

FG

It doesn't help you at all, But I picked mine up from the Sunday computer markets in Melbourne for around $5 ....

Are there computer swap-meets in Perth you could try ? Hmm..I'm off to Brisbane next week, do they have them there, and is so where ?????

I guess I'm trying to say maybe computer stores could help you.

If you just can't find one anywhere, I'll send you mine if you want to pay for postage to Perth and back to Adelaide...............

PM if needed......

Austen.

I have never heard of computer swap-meets in Perth....but thats not to say there aren't some.

But I am just a little amazed - as usual - that a supposedly simple "common" item is so hard to find.

One day I will learn to forget trying to purchase anything in Perth and Oz for that matter and just get it sent from the US or Europe - as we either don't stock the items anyway or last on the list for any deliveries and have to wait for it anyway.

Hmmmm - just venting as this has been a common occurance recently.

Cheers anyway

FG

They're not a common item anymore, they were once but they're old now and have been replaced by better options.

Anyway I take it Castel aren't supplying these upon request any more? They should just include one in the box with the J35 along with a note "Thanks for your money sucker. You'll need this cable for the updates we occasionally release that don't actually fix anything but give you some hope it'll one day work as advertised."

You could always order one online from Jaycar or similar. IIRC however it's not a standard null modem cable. One of the connectors is the wrong gender so you'll need something to change that as well.

They're not a common item anymore, they were once but they're old now and have been replaced by better options.

Anyway I take it Castel aren't supplying these upon request any more? They should just include one in the box with the J35 along with a note "Thanks for your money sucker. You'll need this cable for the updates we occasionally release that don't actually fix anything but give you some hope it'll one day work as advertised."

You could always order one online from Jaycar or similar. IIRC however it's not a standard null modem cable. One of the connectors is the wrong gender so you'll need something to change that as well.

hehe - yep I thought of "thanks for the money sucker" when I was changing boxes every couple of days at the beginning - this is box #4!

But you are correct in that if it is a rare cable it should be included in with the package.

Having said that - apart from the odd glitch - it does work very well with great picture and sound quality.

But the "sticking" reverse is beginning to annoy me.....and the odd froze start-up, etc.

But will probably order the cable and adaptor online for "future" fixes - if any.

Thanks

FG

You can order online from Jaycar. It is the Laplink cable which is a crossover/null modem cable.

Check also other online vendors. Your local computer store should also be able to order one in. Mine did. El cheapo less than $10.

Cheers

Muzz

Just curious.. what could be easier than a null modem cable?

It does not get any more simple than a serial connection.

I blame the stupid PC/Laptop people for taking off 9 pin serial ports. I mean it would cost

them like $1 to keep it on there and make a lot of peoples life a lot simpler.

Now we have to spend $80 + to be a bloody USB to Serial adaptor..

You've answered that yourself. USB is the replacement. Why blame PC manufacturers for removing an obsolete port when they're just keeping up with standards (and let's face it, all new peripherals are USB). IMO Toshiba are yet again at fault. They should have used a USB connection instead of the the old 9 pin.

You've answered that yourself. USB is the replacement. Why blame PC manufacturers for removing an obsolete port when they're just keeping up with standards (and let's face it, all new peripherals are USB). IMO Toshiba are yet again at fault. They should have used a USB connection instead of the the old 9 pin.

Thoroughly agree!

That's why they should at least include the correct, if almost obsolete cable, with the unit....

I just now saw online how much an adaptor costs serial to USB port......not happy Jan!

So I guess no-one has ever bought/actually seen a Null Modem Cable in Perth recently - as per my original questiion?

:blink:

FG

Flash

Caution about the USB to serial adaptor.

I have one and could not get it to talk to the J35 properly. It could show me commands happening in the J35 but could not upload to it.

I know the USB/serial adaptor works because I use it to program Crestron Touch Panels OK.

But the J35 did not like it.

Had to revert to the old laptop with a serial port to do the upload. I've done two firmware updates to my J35

You can make a null modem cable, just buy female and male D9 connectors a piece of cat5 cable or such and bung it together. If you can solder that is.

If you buy a ready made normal null modem cable you will also need a male to male D9 gender changer because the Toshiba clowns put the wrong sex D9 on the J35.

Further on the USB/serial adaptor.

My research has found that there seems to be only on chip made that is used in all of them and the same old driver is used for it. A newer driver is really needed because it sometimes crashes Windows XP.

The big blue screen of death type crash, and it is the driver that is the cause.

Good luck!

Flash

Caution about the USB to serial adaptor.

I have one and could not get it to talk to the J35 properly. It could show me commands happening in the J35 but could not upload to it.

I know the USB/serial adaptor works because I use it to program Crestron Touch Panels OK.

But the J35 did not like it.

Had to revert to the old laptop with a serial port to do the upload. I've done two firmware updates to my J35

You can make a null modem cable, just buy female and male D9 connectors a piece of cat5 cable or such and bung it together. If you can solder that is.

If you buy a ready made normal null modem cable you will also need a male to male D9 gender changer because the Toshiba clowns put the wrong sex D9 on the J35.

Further on the USB/serial adaptor.

My research has found that there seems to be only on chip made that is used in all of them and the same old driver is used for it. A newer driver is really needed because it sometimes crashes Windows XP.

The big blue screen of death type crash, and it is the driver that is the cause.

Good luck!

Wow - thanks for the info..I was about to order one online....so will only order the cable and gender bender then...will have to see if any of my mates or their families have an old laptop with serial port.

Cheers for that

FG

Thoroughly agree!

That's why they should at least include the correct, if almost obsolete cable, with the unit....

I just now saw online how much an adaptor costs serial to USB port......not happy Jan!

So I guess no-one has ever bought/actually seen a Null Modem Cable in Perth recently - as per my original questiion?

:P

FG

The serial connection is still very much used in telecommunications equipment (everything from mobile phone base stations to DSL modems and routers) and is a simple and reliable method of data transfer for simple code updates such as these. If you cannot find one (which I find very hard to believe) then you can make one with two suitable DB9 connectors of the right gender and some multi wire cable. Most null modem (or crossover, x-over) cables only use 3 pins, 2,3 for data Transmit and Receive, and pin 5 for signal ground. All you do is make up the cable amd connect pin 2 at one end to pin 3 at the other, with pin 5 straight through. Ask Castel if that will suffice, as some more control signals maybe required on different pins. Null modem cables are still commonly avaialble in Brisbane.

Don't stress :blink:

Guest mattr

It's funny because its true!

The serial connection is still very much used in telecommunications equipment (everything from mobile phone base stations to DSL modems and routers) and is a simple and reliable method of data transfer for simple code updates such as these. If you cannot find one (which I find very hard to believe) then you can make one with two suitable DB9 connectors of the right gender and some multi wire cable. Most null modem (or crossover, x-over) cables only use 3 pins, 2,3 for data Transmit and Receive, and pin 5 for signal ground. All you do is make up the cable amd connect pin 2 at one end to pin 3 at the other, with pin 5 straight through. Ask Castel if that will suffice, as some more control signals maybe required on different pins. Null modem cables are still commonly avaialble in Brisbane.

You may find it hard to believe - but my feet tell a different story...I visited 12 stores and rang 5 more. No go!

They almost all said it was old technology and even pointed me to their direct competitors - where I had already gone anyway.

But don't misunderstand me...I am not saying there are no Null Modem cables in Perth...!

What I am saying is - they are as rare as hens teeth and I am still waiting for direct confirmation of a place I can actually buy one.

Look above - not one person has directly said where I CAN get one from ANYWHERE in Perth....just suggestions.

Valuable suggestions I might add - none the less.

I will try again tomorrow a couple of places someone suggested I try...

Cheers All

FG

You may find it hard to believe - but my feet tell a different story...I visited 12 stores and rang 5 more. No go!

They almost all said it was old technology and even pointed me to their direct competitors - where I had already gone anyway.

But don't misunderstand me...I am not saying there are no Null Modem cables in Perth...!

What I am saying is - they are as rare as hens teeth and I am still waiting for direct confirmation of a place I can actually buy one.

Look above - not one person has directly said where I CAN get one from ANYWHERE in Perth....just suggestions.

Valuable suggestions I might add - none the less.

I will try again tomorrow a couple of places someone suggested I try...

Cheers All

FG

Try Altronics at 174 Roe St in Perth.

You can either get a null modem cable or a null modem (Cat: PA-0883 for about $8) to use with standard 25 pin RS22 cable.

hornblower

Is a "Lap-Link" cable with 9-pin ends - the same as a Null Modem Cable?

If so...then I CAN get one of those.....at Jaycar

Anyone know?

FG

Anyone know?

FG

FG, do you even read the replies to your posts? Check back to my previous response.

FG, do you even read the replies to your posts? Check back to my previous response.

Big ooops - my sincere apologies.... :P

I have been getting emails when replies to my query are posted...but for some reason I did not get one for your original reply and I missed reading it.

Sorry about that - and a big thank you for that reply and bringing it to my attention - AGAIN.

:blink:

Cheers

FG

Anyone know?

FG

Flash

I used to use the LapLink softare and laplink cables when I worked in the computer trade and yes, I infact used my old blue laplink cable for updating the j35.

However, as I mentioned before this cable is female to female so you will need a male to male gender changer as well.

If you can not source one from local shops or the web then let me know and I will make one for you with correct sexes, and send it to you all at near cost price.

:blink: I work in the AV industry and you can contact me via www.audiovision.net.au

regards

Jeff

Flash

I used to use the LapLink softare and laplink cables when I worked in the computer trade and yes, I infact used my old blue laplink cable for updating the j35.

However, as I mentioned before this cable is female to female so you will need a male to male gender changer as well.

If you can not source one from local shops or the web then let me know and I will make one for you with correct sexes, and send it to you all at near cost price.

:blink: I work in the AV industry and you can contact me via www.audiovision.net.au

regards

Jeff

Many thanks for your offer....but I have just managed to pick up a Lap-Link cable and Gender M/M adaptor also from Jaycar in the City Centre.....

On the way through I picked up a friends old laptop that has the serial port also...so won't need the "dodgy" Serial/USB adaptor.

I will give it a run later with the J35....when I have done the other "chores".....hehe

Many thanks for your offer though and all the replies...

All the best

FG

almost 6 months without any problems, now my toshiba j35 is dead at least.... few times a day!!!!

Does any one in Perth know the best place to upgrade firmware? TELEFIX in Great Easter hwy? or BLUE TECH in Osborne Park?

Thanks in advance