the 'official' everything XBOX 360 thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the XBox 360 uses neither DirectX 9 nor DirectX 10, but is pretty much a compilation of both here and there. It doesn't follow either of the specifications... it's in a league of it's own...

Either way, I was mearly comparing Far Cry Instincts and Crysis, with Crysis having the second generation engine, therefore it is better :blink:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=8263

Hmm... I'll have a look at the specs when I get home. I have a feeling this might be the problem. Thanks Paranoid.

BTW, how does the 360 look on your NEC plasma? Is it better that the Sony CRT? Im thinking of purchasing a HD plasma if I can't get the 360 running on HD with my current CRT.

I prefer the CRT, it's a super fine pitch so it does about 1000 lines or something. Just as clear on both but richer colours and deper blacks on the CRT. Plus it's my TV where as the plasma is my parents. The plasma is bigger though, 50" to 32", thinking of moving the lounge closer to the CRT. :blink:

I prefer the CRT, it's a super fine pitch so it does about 1000 lines or something. Just as clear on both but richer colours and deper blacks on the CRT. Plus it's my TV where as the plasma is my parents. The plasma is bigger though, 50" to 32", thinking of moving the lounge closer to the CRT. :blink:

Just a quick questions - isn't burn in on plasmas a real issue when it comes to the 360. I was thinking of getting a 500A - but may need to get an LCD if that's the case.

Just a quick questions - isn't burn in on plasmas a real issue when it comes to the 360. I was thinking of getting a 500A - but may need to get an LCD if that's the case.

Issues? Not really. As long as you arae aware the potential for something to happen. And it only needs to be handled for the first 200-300 hours on most plasmas.

well I guess the risk exists, yes.

Its not so much an xbox360 issue, but any gaming console or sporting event where static images are left on the screen (such as a ammo metre, or life indicator, or score or station logo for a sporting event).

some people have had a lot of trouble, some people have had no trouble.

I have used my regular xbox quite a bit on my Fuji plasma - no issues as yet, but im careful not to leave any static menu screens or anything for loooonnnnggggg periods of time.

Not sure if you plan to use your panel exclusively for gaming, so consider the other uses that are important to you also.

but if the risk of burn-in on the plasma is going to stress you out a lot (I must admit it always crosses my mind everytime I play xbox, pehaps I am paranoid), then perhaps consider LCD options

cheers :blink:

The HD output on the 360, even the PAL 360 which is what I got, only runs in 60Hz. So you should check to see if you TV suports 1080i at 60Hz.

will aus xbox 360 be the same, cos im sure like jert my panasonic wont support 1080i @ 60hz, if thats the case Im gonna be P@#$&*...

As far as the best TV for a XBOX 360, so far that would have to be the Acer 37". Its the only one that can do 1080p from HDMI/DVI. 12ms will be fine for games. 16ms doesn't stop the Dell 24" from being awesome, or 14ms for the Dell 30" so 12ms for a 37" should top them both :blink:

In gamer speak: "Acer pwns th0s3 n00b D3ll lamerz"

Dont forget the 360 renders eveything at 1280x720p. For 1080i or 576p/i it rescales the 720p image.

So the best setting to have it on is 720p (even on a 1080 line LCD) (provided of course your tv will accept 720p input).

Edited by yabbal

I've had no problems with burn in on my Pioneer and I've played really long spells of 5+ hours. As someone else said it's the first 200 or so hours you need to be extra careful.

Today ejm went for a little trip down to his local HN store as they have an X360 on display and I must say that ejm was not impressed. The graphics looked better than the current xbox but are nothing like the screen shots that we had been shown and are no where near as good as he expected. Has anyone else noticed that it does not look as good as we have been told or was it just the panal that it was being played on?

Today ejm went for a little trip down to his local HN store as they have an X360 on display and I must say that ejm was not impressed. The graphics looked better than the current xbox but are nothing like the screen shots that we had been shown and are no where near as good as he expected. Has anyone else noticed that it does not look as good as we have been told or was it just the panal that it was being played on?

Which game?

Was it connected properly. The HN near me (greensborough) only has composites at the moment. :blink:

Cod is suspected of using less detailed textures than pc but users are reporting next-gen looks on most game, particularly Kameo, Condemned and PGR3.

will aus xbox 360 be the same, cos im sure like jert my panasonic wont support 1080i @ 60hz, if thats the case Im gonna be P@#$&*...

I don't think that you will be alone on this one. As far as I know there are not many HD TV's in Aust that are capable to displaying 1080i@60hz, and if that is true, there is a s***load of us up s****creek.

Which game?

Was it connected properly. The HN near me (greensborough) only has composites at the moment. :blink:

Cod is suspected of using less detailed textures than pc but users are reporting next-gen looks on most game, particularly Kameo, Condemned and PGR3.

CoD is the same game on PC with all features maxed out.

The reason many games dont look vasty better is because they are rushed ports for launch.

Wait until exclusives come out.

Which game?

It was connected via component and was on an LG LCD (that could have been the problem) and was running 720p.

The game was a first person shooter.

It was just a let down to what I was expecting.

I don't think that you will be alone on this one. As far as I know there are not many HD TV's in Aust that are capable to displaying 1080i@60hz, and if that is true, there is a s***load of us up s****creek.

Not really that important, given that most games will run at 720p

So anyone with an LCD planning on getting one with the VGA leads and doing whatever it is you do to make it output in 1360x768?

I'd consider getting an Xbox if this was possible on my TV. But if Native res from my PC is any example it will be flawed by having a rolling line every few minutes (But hopefully it was only my PC and the xbox doesn't do this!)

Like i said, i ahve read Call of Duty 2 (first person shooter) does not look top notch on the 360.

That aside, for the 10th time i walked into a game shop and considered to pre-ord a 360. I was almost there. :P Then i picked up condemned (which could be my first purchase) and after finding out it was $120, decided not to pre-order. :P Funny that. (Yes, the online price was slightly less at $110 - :P )

Then i had a look at dvdboxoffice, which had an interesting price of $80.63 AUS delivered.

SORRY, am i missing something here!!!! :blink:

Not really that important, given that most games will run at 720p

ahhh but it is a BIG prob, most if not all crt based HDTV, be it rear projection or not, cannot display 720P, they have the option only of 576i/576p/1080i, all the sony and panas arent able to display 1080i at 60 only 50, and i have had it confirmed now that MS XBOX 360 will only 1080i at 60. Im very unimpressed, not sure what to do!?!?!?!.....AAGGHHH

Well considering I have 6 titles and have been playing my 360 since it's release, I'd have to disagree strongly with you. These are launch titles of course, but the majority of the titles are well above what we had on xbox, and exactly like we were shown in screen shots and movies, nothing is different about them. Fight night 3 demo for instance looks exactly like the E3 demo EA did, it looks absolutely jaw dropping. Once developers learn how to use the mutliple cores things are only going to get a lot better, and considering where 360 is already, that should be pretty amazing. You need to see it running with the VGA cable to plasma, which is truely how it was meant to be played for the best picture quality. The store you saw probably had standard AV cables with the yellow video cable.

Well considering I have 6 titles and have been playing my 360 since it's release, I'd have to disagree strongly with you. These are launch titles of course, but the majority of the titles are well above what we had on xbox, and exactly like we were shown in screen shots and movies, nothing is different about them. Fight night 3 demo for instance looks exactly like the E3 demo EA did, it looks absolutely jaw dropping. Once developers learn how to use the mutliple cores things are only going to get a lot better, and considering where 360 is already, that should be pretty amazing. You need to see it running with the VGA cable to plasma, which is truely how it was meant to be played for the best picture quality. The store you saw probably had standard AV cables with the yellow video cable.

Thats coming from someone who spent over 1k on the system as well isn't it? You are going to be a bit bias now arn't you.

As I've already said, it was running at 720p on and LCD (higher res than your plasma I might add) using component cables.

The games just didn't give me that WOW effect like the PS2 and Xbox did when they where realesed.

Good that you said 'demo' as well as that is exactly what it is.

After seeing it in action, I'm not going to run out and buy it straight away like I was originally planning to do but I will end up getting it.