Sign in to follow this  
digibob

Antenna installer qualifications

Scorpio,

As for the 13 years, it is only in the last 18 months things have started moving about the switchoff. Prior to this time mostly only high power regional transmitters have been installed with translators in high population areas. There is still many medium and low powered transmitters to be installed along with a direct to home (Aurora) satellite service capable of the extra sub channels.

If the previous government did not really understand what was required with the exception of hiring a British expert in DTV change over in the dying hours of their time. If they would have switched analog off, the lack of modification of MATV systems would have left many people without ABC TV and in quite a few cases some commercial programs as well.

During this time the Department of Communications, IT and the Arts was telling people to use a qualified antenna installer to fix all their DTV reception problems when there was/is no nationally accredited course which can be used as the qualification. Particularly for digital let alone analog.

I agree about the saddle type terminations, but what about the "Omnimax" range and all other antennas designed for any channels below channel 6 need to be removed from the catalog. In all masthead amplifiers there must be a filter to restrict the frequency range from 174 - 820 MHz or narrower.

There is only one high powered DTV transmitter (SSW 3 (GWN Bunbury)) which needs to come on line for around 200k people. In the low power range the following remain;

Mission Beach TNQ5A

Walcha NEN1

Wandoan ABQ5A

Murrurundi NBN1

Herberton ABNQ2

Mt Garnet ABNQ2

Kambalda VEW 3

All of the above are small towns.

A model for 87.5 - 108 on one input and 174 - 240 MHz on the other, for Radio should also be produced.

AlanH

@ Dave

Sorry, I didn't ask if Hills have profit in mind, or not. I just simply asked what is the cost of the Course per head. Let us calculate profit/loss statement afterwards.

If the Installers are fair dinkum about their work, they will look for the information of how to do the best installation in particular area and attend as many courses and information sessions as they can, in order to improve themselves for better customer service and therefore higher profit.

IMHO, its in your best interest too to educate installer, especially with your product range to minimize returns and increase sales and therefor the question is why do the Installer have to pay 650 bucks on top of lost day or two in the course.

Let's be fair and let the suppliers pay for course and the Installer with their time for mutual benefit. He's most likely to buy product from you later on for long, long time to come.

From the Gvt point of view, it will be fair to chip in to keep the voters cool with the transition.

I'm still puzzled why the suppliers asking contractor to pay hundreds for basic courses.

Cheers

scorpio

p.s. " I am in <insert Location>, what antenna do I need...." ..... Reluctant, bothered or annoyed to answer those questions?

KHM! Is this the part of "customer service" you need to provide in order to increase sales of YOUR antennas? Minimize returns? Add-on sales?

IMHO, this communication is VERY important to keep the customer happy and informed about latest stuff you have to offer, so LOOK FORWARD TO THESE CALLS.

BTW, suppliers, if you're fair dinkum about DTT and correct way of doing things, WHY ARE YOU STILL SELLING SCREW AND SADDLE CRAP and some of you air spaced coax?!?

Scorpio,

Every Hills branch and Rep are more than happy to educate anyone who is willing to listen about correct proceedures and products, and we do it for free!! But what we are talking about is Certified Training, which is in essence (disregarding the fact you walk away with the equivalent of a TAFE certificate), a more in depth training (obviously a 2 day course is going to teach you more than an hour session) and also goes into the theory of why an antenna works so that the installer know why the elements need to be a certain length for certain frequencies etc, whereas the training we offer free does not go into as much depth, it still teaches the installer what to use and where, but not so much on the why. The comment you make on if we are "reluctant, bothered or annoyed" to answer questions I find offensive, as I will help ANYONE who needs help. As you said, if the installer is fair dinkum, they don't want to rely on someone to tell them what to use, they want to be able to make the decision for themselves.

Installers do not pay $650 if they apply for the govt rebate, which can be up to $450, so therefore it costs $200, I am sorry but that to me is a pretty good deal!

I agree about the saddle type terminations, but what about the "Omnimax" range and all other antennas designed for any channels below channel 6 need to be removed from the catalog. In all masthead amplifiers there must be a filter to restrict the frequency range from 174 - 820 MHz or narrower.

Alan and Scorpio,

Screw and Saddle equipment and the OMX range of antennas, are becomming less and less popular, and it would not suprise me if very soon, they will totally dissappear, but at present, while analogue is still available, and while we still have customers who DEMAND analogue reception while they can, we must still offer these antennas. As for the S&S equipment, well, I have worked for Hills for nearly 4 years now and have never sold a S&S piece of equipment, nor will I. I have had plenty of customers wanting this stuff but once they are educated into why they should NOT be using them, they take F Type, shielded parts instead. So why do we still have them in our catalogue, because there is still an, albeit small, market for them. If it were up to me, I would do what you suggest, but while there are some people out ther demanding this stuff, we have to comply.

PS: we are no longer manufacturing S&S equipment obviously, just depleating old stock.

. As for the S&S equipment, well, I have worked for Hills for nearly 4 years now and have never sold a S&S piece of equipment, nor will I. I have had plenty of customers wanting this stuff but once they are educated into why they should NOT be using them, they take F Type, shielded parts instead. So why do we still have them in our catalogue, because there is still an, albeit small, market for them. If it were up to me, I would do what you suggest, but while there are some people out ther demanding this stuff, we have to comply.

PS: we are no longer manufacturing S&S equipment obviously, just depleating old stock.

People continued to demand Standard petrol, and super for that matter too.... doesn't mean they could buy it...

Again it's all about $$ the DIY and sparkie market (which is a large part of hills target market) still use the crap because they don't know any different and of course hills matchmaster adn the wholesalers have lots of stock of the crap they don't want to be caught with...

As for training $650 isn't unreasonable for two days of training (if it includes lunch and some add on bits) from my experience the standard in ict training seems to be $150-250 per day (not inc lunch) ie acma open reg 5 days at $700 (the last time I had a couple of my guys do it) or even the CIC (redcard training) is $150-200 and there's nothing technical in that. Matchmasters prices are about the same as hills i think... $595 for two days

Well Dave,

"...the more installers who KNOW what they are doing, the less we have to ....... provide information to multitudes of installers ringing up say" I am in <insert Location>, what antenna do I need...."

The impression I've got is that you don't want these calls. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

My opinion was: If I'm the manufacturer, more people I educate and hook on my products, more profit I'll make, less problems will everyone have.

I asked you a straight question about the cost of the course per head, and I still don't have the answer, which is OK.

I explained to you why the course has to be free for the installers (or at least lunch price) and I don't want to compare this to anything else "10kg of apples is $15 so $20 for 10 kg of cherries looks pretty reasonable".

And, not everyone is eligible to get Gvt training rebate.

(@beeblebrox - Matchmaster course that I attended approx 5-6 years ago was 70% about selling Matchamster stuff and therefore my objections to the price)

screw and saddle saga

4 years ago I was arguing with some of your Managers from office here in Victoria about this, and the only answer he can give me was "People are still asking for it". I pointed to him that if he wants to do the right thing was to EDUCATE the customer what's right and what's wrong, and the only answer was a laughter and grin on the face.

So, it looks like that "depleting the stock" stretched a little bit.

Hills is not alone in this. Kingray, Ikusi and many more are guilty as charged too.

It's good to know that someone like you decided that those things never existed and are selling only F type and shielded stuff.

Cheers

scorpio

Scorpio,

I am more than happy to answer these calls, don't get me wrong, its just that an installer or sparkie should really know how to do this, and we will teach them if they are willing, either in the free course or through the certified training, either way, if they are willing to learn, we will teach them.

I agree with your manufacturers perspective, but because this training is just provided by Hills and is NOT a Hills training course, we do not push our product, we are not allowed to. Obviously we use our products when doing the practicals, and we hope that the installer goes on to use our product, the course itself has nothing to do with sales, only education.

The price for the two days is $650, I though you knew that as you had been quoting $650 in your previous quotes, sorry about that.

Ah the good old screw and saddle, as I mentioned previously, I am opposed to selling the stuff, I have no customers who buy it anymore as I have educated them that it is just inviting headaches to use it. BUT, and there is always a but, there are plenty of onsellers out there that will go against our suggestions and continue to sell it. If that was the case and we had stock, we couldn't just refuse to sell it to them (oh but I wish we could). Beeblebrox, the reason you cant buy standard fuel anymore is that no one has stock of it anymore, and when they announced that you couldn't get standard anymore, it didn't just stop overnight.

As for function, I know that S&S should never be used, but the majority of Hobart can pick up digital tv with a wet piece of string and plenty of them have old band 1 & 2 broken antennas on their roof that happily pass digital through RG59 aircore, via a screw and saddle splitter to a s&s wallplate, through a chinese flylead and yet they still get perfect digital, go figure????

Cheers

Dave