Plasma Burn In

2nd attempt to get this to work right.

Thread after thread about plasma burn in.

So is it brand specific or random? Here is an attempt to poll all who have plasmas to find out. Sorry there are so many options but I think it is useful to count both the yes's and the no's. It does not take into account age or which version (generation) plasma you have. Maybe that can be asked at a later date.

To cover the brands I have split all the options over the three poll parts. Sorry if you are missed out. (See "Other"). To vote you must answer each of the three parts. If your brand does not appear in part one, you must tick the option "None of these, go to next part" and proceed to the next part. The very last options of the 30 is for other brands that are not listed. Unfortunately, you do not get a say but you are welcome to make a comment.

This does give one the option to vote more than once if you have had more than one plasma brand.

Obviously, in part 3, Other (No) is probably meaningless because presumeably everyone has to tick something in Part 3 so this will be it?

I have removed image retention (now burn in only)!

Edited by Coral

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no still no good. only way I could vote was select one choice per poll.

which meant

hitachi no

no go to part 3

and

other no

That's ok, the "no go to part 2 and 3" and "other no" we will ignore. I can't think of another way around it at the moment and it's back to work for now. Also all the main plasma's are covered.

The poll may not be tolerated anyway. :blink:

All plasma's have image retention for a couple seconds. It should be for Image Burn only

Exactly what I was just thinking. Either that or change the wording to "image retention for more than X seconds."

Given that most readers on here should know how to set up and use their plasma's properly the results will most likely be skewed a bit compared to a survey amongst non enthusiasts who aren't careful.

Poll doesn't work - it looks like you have to vote in all 3 to get a valid vote or something similar. I voted Panasonic No in the first section and clicked Vote and it gives me a "need to choose" error every time.

Coincidentally, can we please stop the "bump"-ing of threads here. If a thread is truly valuable it will be automatically bumped by people responding. Bumping to get attention is very annoying, at least to me.

Poll doesn't work - it looks like you have to vote in all 3 to get a valid vote or something similar. I voted Panasonic No in the first section and clicked Vote and it gives me a "need to choose" error every time.

Coincidentally, can we please stop the "bump"-ing of threads here. If a thread is truly valuable it will be automatically bumped by people responding. Bumping to get attention is very annoying, at least to me.

hi there,

Did you read (near) the top of the thread?

"To cover the brands I have split all the options over the three poll parts. Sorry if you are missed out. (See "Other"). To vote you must answer each of the three parts. If your brand does not appear in part one, you must tick the option "None of these, go to next part" and proceed to the next part. The very last options of the 30 is for other brands that are not listed. Unfortunately, you do not get a say but you are welcome to make a comment."

So basically choose your panel (yes/no), and then choose the "none of these" in the other parts, and "other" in the last part

:blink:

Polls don't get automatically bumped because people don't usually respond to them. They tend to slip down the queue and after a couple of days are lost. My plan was to do it only the once first thing in the morning. Thanks for bumping it for me though. Is this a subtle bump??

I haven't had an image retention problem with my Fujitsu (assuming this means logos and the like) - but as we have watched a fair bit of 4:3, I have noticied that the areas outside the 4:3 frame are now slightly lighter than within the frame - I can only really see this when viewing very bright 16:9 material. For the next week or two there will be no 4:3 viewing going on in our house.

I do have the settings dialed down and we use the "fine" picture mode, and we only watched 16:9 (1.78:1) material during the first 200 hours.

UPDATED 9 February 2006 (11:30 AM Perth local time)

OK, in an initial attempt to make some sense of this even though it may be a bit early, here goes.

150 votes is actually, only 57 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 57 legitimate votes, there were 14 (24.6%) with burn-in problems. I think that's STILL pretty significant.

However, on a brand by brand, the results of displays that DO have burn-in problems are as follows

Hitachi (0 of 7) – 0%

LG (0 of 4) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

TEAC (0 of 5) – 0% (The 1 is image retention not burn-in).

Panasonic (1 of 13) – 7.7%

Fujitsu (3 of 10) – 30%

NEC (2 of 6) – 33.3%

Pioneer (4 of 7) – 57.1%

Other (4 of 4) - Is this bad voting or real? - Have left it in the total.

Other (No) is certainly meaningless.

Edited by Lyle

OK, in an initial attempt to make some sense of this even though it may be a bit early, here goes.

135 votes is actually, only 52 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 52 legitimate votes, there were 15 (28.8%) with burn-in problems. I think that's pretty significant.

However, on a brand by brand, the results of displays that DO have burn-in problems are as follows

Hitachi (6) – 0%

LG (4) – 0%

Panasonic (13) – 7.7%

TEAC (5) – 20%

Fujitsu (10) – 30%

NEC (4) – 50%

Pioneer (6) – 67%

Other (4) – 100% - Is this bad voting or real?

Other No is certainly meaningless.

Where did it say Teac had 5 people that had Burn in?? I read 4 had NO burn in and 1 was image retention when the poll was not set up properly.

I would doubt if anybody had Burn in on the Teac (New Model)

So 67% of Pio owners do or don't have burn in?
DO. Edited the above to reflect this.
Where did it say Teac had 5 people that had Burn in?? I read 4 had NO burn in and 1 was image retention when the poll was not set up properly.

I would doubt if anybody had Burn in on the Teac (New Model)

1 Yes of 5 is 20%.

I would restart the poll again :blink: This time for Burn Only
Nope. Objection noted. But if you confirm that you were the one vote I'll make allowances in the summaries. And any one else that let's me know. I might even be able to get Coral to update it but it will cost candy (for me to pass on).

And yes I will post new summaries as more votes are added. Once a day.

Edited by Lyle

UPDATED 9 February 2006 (10:15 AM Perth local time)

147 votes is actually, only 56 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 56 legitimate votes, there were 14 (25%) with burn-in problems. I think that's STILL pretty significant.

Hitachi (0 of 7) – 0%

LG (0 of 4) – 0%

Panasonic (1 of 13) – 7.7%

Fujitsu (3 of 10) – 30%

NEC (2 of 6) – 33.3%

Pioneer (4 of 7) – 57.1%

Other (4 of 4) – 100% - Is this bad voting or real? - Have left it in the total.

The stats for 'other' 'yes' cant be calculated as the total number of other 'no screens is indeterminate. So it may not be 4 out of 4 screens at all

J.

The stats for 'other' 'yes' cant be calculated as the total number of other 'no screens is indeterminate. So it may not be 4 out of 4 screens at all
Would you like to expand on that? To me "Other" means screens other than those listed in the poll. No matter what they are, if the have burn in, then they need to be added into the total number with a burn in problem.

Edit: As an indvidual class, yes you are right they cannot be classified. Therefore, I have seperated them from those that are named. Happy now? :blink:

Edited by Lyle

By the looks of this poll, panasonic is well ahead of the others burn-in wise as only 1 out of 13 has had a problem where fuji has had 3 out of 10 and Pio has had 4 out of 7. These are the top 3 makers of plasma tv's as well arn't they?

Edited by ejm

UPDATED 10 February 2006 (11:30 PM Perth local time)

171 votes is actually only 63 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 63 legitimate votes, there were 15 (23.8%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

LG (0 of 6) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Panasonic (1 of 14) – 7.1%

Hitachi (1 of 9) – 11.1%

NEC (2 of 7) – 28.6%

Fujitsu (3 of 10) – 30%

Pioneer (4 of 7) – 57%

Other (4 of 4) - Is this bad voting or real? - Have left it in the total.

Yes, I know it is a small statistical sample. Please vote.

Edited by Lyle