Plasma Burn In

2nd attempt to get this to work right.

Thread after thread about plasma burn in.

So is it brand specific or random? Here is an attempt to poll all who have plasmas to find out. Sorry there are so many options but I think it is useful to count both the yes's and the no's. It does not take into account age or which version (generation) plasma you have. Maybe that can be asked at a later date.

To cover the brands I have split all the options over the three poll parts. Sorry if you are missed out. (See "Other"). To vote you must answer each of the three parts. If your brand does not appear in part one, you must tick the option "None of these, go to next part" and proceed to the next part. The very last options of the 30 is for other brands that are not listed. Unfortunately, you do not get a say but you are welcome to make a comment.

This does give one the option to vote more than once if you have had more than one plasma brand.

Obviously, in part 3, Other (No) is probably meaningless because presumeably everyone has to tick something in Part 3 so this will be it?

I have removed image retention (now burn in only)!

So the poll is now "permanent" burn in.

I think you better qualify the age of these plasma's as some earlier models experienced "burn in" and have rectified the problem with orbitors etc.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you better qualify the age of these plasma's as some earlier models experienced "burn in" and have rectified the problem with orbitors etc.
Yes, I said that at the beginning. Maybe the subject of yet another thread. :P (NOT LIKELY - This one is too much work). :blink:

There are too many variables aren't there for it to be extremely useful (or meaningful). Still I think it is very interesting how some of the "better brand names" are faring. I'd like to see a much larger statistical sample though I agree. Once one gets 10+ for each brand it starts to mean a bit more I think.

BTW I asked for permission to just update the one summary so as not to post more messages. It was denied.

UPDATED 12 February 2006 (10:15 AM Perth local time)

OK, in an initial attempt to make some sense of this even though it may be a bit early, here goes.

177 votes is actually only 65 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 64 legitimate votes, there were 15 (23.1%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

However, on a brand by brand, the results of displays that DO have burn-in problems are as follows

TEAC (0 of 5) – 0% (The 1 is image retention not burn-in).

LG (0 of 6) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Panasonic (1 of 15) – 6.7%

Hitachi (1 of 9) – 11.1%

Fujitsu (3 of 11) – 27.3%

NEC (2 of 7) – 28.6%

Pioneer (4 of 7) – 57%

Other (4 of 4) - Is this bad voting or real? Don't know what the brands were? - Have left it in the total.

Other (No) is certainly meaningless because it must be used to poll.

Yes, I know it is a small statistical sample. Please vote.

Edited by Lyle

UPDATED 13 February 2006 (10:30 AM Perth local time)

OK, in an initial attempt to make some sense of this.

180 votes is actually only 66 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 66 legitimate votes, there were 15 (22.7%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

However, on a brand by brand, the results of displays that DO have burn-in problems are as follows

TEAC (0 of 5) – 0% (The 1 is image retention not burn-in).

LG (0 of 6) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Panasonic (1 of 15) – 6.7%

Hitachi (1 of 10) – 10%

NEC (2 of 7) – 28.6%

Pioneer (4 of 7) – 57%

Other (4 of 4) - Is this bad voting or real? Don't know what the brands were? - Have left it in the total.

A bit damning of the Pioneers.

Would you like to expand on that? To me "Other" means screens other than those listed in the poll. No matter what they are, if the have burn in, then they need to be added into the total number with a burn in problem.

Edit: As an indvidual class, yes you are right they cannot be classified. Therefore, I have seperated them from those that are named. Happy now? :blink:

Happy :P

(I wasn't really unhappy)

It is interesting that the NEC/Pioneer screens are disproportionately represented - that matches up with my annecdotal observations amongst colleagues at work - I have now found 3 people with Pioneer screens with significant image retention (all new model 506's) from normal TV viewing.

I realise that the samples might be biased for all sorts of reasons, but I suspect that we might be seeing a problem here.

J.

UPDATED 14 February 2006 (8:00 AM Perth local time)

OK, in an initial attempt to make some sense of this.

192 votes is actually only 73 real votes. That means a lot of people have not commented (voted). In the "What brand of plasma do you have?", there were 76. I'm sure many more could have polled there too.

Of the 73 legitimate votes, there were 21 (28.8%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

LG (0 of 6) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 11) – 9.1%

TEAC (1 of 6) – 16.7% (One is image retention not burn-in).

Panasonic (3 of 17) – 17.6%

NEC (3 of 8) – 37.5%

Pioneer (5 of 8) – 62.5%

UPDATED 15 February 2006 (11:00 AM Perth local time)

198 votes is actually 75 real votes.

Of the 75 legitimate votes, there were 21 (28%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

LG (0 of 6) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 11) – 9.1%

Panasonic (3 of 18) – 16.7% (Getting close to statistical validity)

Fujitsu (3 of 12) – 25.0%

NEC (3 of 8) – 37.5%

Pioneer (5 of 8) – 62.5%

UPDATED 17 February 2006 (2:45 PM Perth local time)

201 votes is actually 76 real votes.

Of the 76 legitimate votes, there were 21 (27.6%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

LG (0 of 6) – 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Sony (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 11) – 9.1%

Panasonic (3 of 18) – 16.7% (Getting close to statistical validity)

Fujitsu (3 of 12) – 25.0%

NEC (3 of 8) – 37.5%

Pioneer (5 of 8) – 62.5%

Yes, I know it is a small statistical sample. Please vote EVEN if the answer is NO!

Lyle what about any of us who have had 2 plasmas? Im the one that voted No to Philips but actually I've had 2 Philips panels. The second one has had no burn in problems either.
That's a hard one. The polls don't cater for that kind of complication. The best we can do is what you have just done. ie, Post the observation.

UPDATED 20 February 2006 (10:00 AM Perth local time)

231 votes is actually 91 real votes.

Of the 91 legitimate votes, there were 21 (23.1%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

JB Hi Fi (0 of 1) - 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Samsung (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 12) – 8.3%

Panasonic (3 of 22) – 13.6%

LG (1 of 7) – 14.3%

TEAC (2 of 9) – 22.2% (One is image retention not burn-in).

Fujitsu (4 of 13) – 30.8%

NEC (4 of 10) – 40%

Sony (1 of 2) - 50%

Pioneer (5 of 8) – 62.5%

Other (5 of 5) - Meaningless but have left it in the total.

Yes, I know it is a small statistical sample. Please vote EVEN if the answer is NO!

UPDATED 21 February 2006 (9:10 AM Perth local time)

237 votes is actually 92 real votes.

Of the 92 legitimate votes, there were 26 (28.3%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

JB Hi Fi (0 of 1) - 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Samsung (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 12) – 8.3%

LG (1 of 8) – 12.5%

TEAC (2 of 9) – 22.2% (One was image retention not burn-in).

NEC (4 of 10) – 40%

Sony (1 of 2) - 50%

Pioneer (5 of 8) – 62.5%

Any more Pioneer owners out there. It's hard to believe there are only 8?!

UPDATED 21 February 2006 (9:10 AM Perth local time)

237 votes is actually 92 real votes.

Of the 92 legitimate votes, there were 26 (28.3%) with burn-in problems. I think that's significant.

JB Hi Fi (0 of 1) - 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Samsung (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 12) – 8.3%

LG (1 of 8) – 12.5%

TEAC (2 of 9) – 22.2% (One was image retention not burn-in).

NEC (4 of 10) – 40%

Sony (1 of 2) - 50%

Pioneer (5 of 8) – 62.5%

Any more Pioneer owners out there. It's hard to believe there are only 8?!

im surprised there are "so many" Fuji owners that have had issues?? 30% ??

I wouldnt mind hearing what the circumstances around those incidents were... well, and also for the NEC and Pio for that matter...

cheers :blink:

im surprised there are "so many" Fuji owners that have had issues?? 30% ??

I wouldnt mind hearing what the circumstances around those incidents were... well, and also for the NEC and Pio for that matter...

cheers :blink:

Yes, I would love to see more Pioneer voters. Not sure when statistical validity cuts in - someone told me 30. That means the overall percentage is valid which is pretty scary but the only brand that is approaching it is the Panasonic. Anyone got any thought on this - "Statistical validity that is".

Of course to qualify this, we don't know how bad the "burn in" is/was nor how easy it was to fix.

If you're looking for 'statistical validity' in this poll, unfortunately you'll never find it.

The major reason is that the sample on this forum is completely unrepresentative of the total population. This forum is by definition an AV enthusiast forum, and that brings with it some oddities:

- people here are far more sensitive to identifying things like 'burn in' - even extremely mild cases which may go unnoticed by others.

- the more expensive/better quality panels are over-represented here, because as enthusiasts more of us are likely to have done some research and/or asked questions here before buying and thus bought the better ones.

- people here have particular batches of plasmas; for example there are a lot of early adopters and hence they have the earlier releases of a plasma series. Or they all went out and bought at around the same time due to being aware of price drops at particular points in time.

- there is no guarantee at all that people are voting accurately. That is, some people who don't own a plasma, or own another brand, may be voting randomly or mischievously to bump up the burn-in rate of a particular plasma.

- the poll itself is very confusing, and involves multiple stages with far more margin for error.

So this poll really isn't as valid, since the Pioneer, Panasonic and Fuji owners are probably both over-represented and more likely to be sensitive to even the midlest or tiniest bit of burn-in or longer term image retention. Not to mention those who dislike other brands and who may have voted to bump up their burn-in results.

UPDATED 23 February 2006 (9:45 AM Perth local time)

255 votes is actually 98 real votes.

Of the 98 legitimate votes, there were 27 (27.6%) with burn-in problems.

JB Hi Fi (0 of 1) - 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Samsung (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 12) – 8.3%

Panasonic (3 of 25) – 12.0%

LG (1 of 8) – 12.5%

TEAC (2 of 9) – 22.2%

Fujitsu (5 of 14) – 35.7%

NEC (4 of 10) – 40%

Sony (1 of 2) - 50%

Pioneer (5 of 10) – 50.0%

UPDATED 23 February 2006 (9:45 AM Perth local time)

255 votes is actually 98 real votes.

Of the 98 legitimate votes, there were 27 (27.6%) with burn-in problems.

JB Hi Fi (0 of 1) - 0%

Phillips (0 of 1) - 0%

Samsung (0 of 1) - 0%

Hitachi (1 of 12) – 8.3%

Panasonic (3 of 25) – 12.0%

LG (1 of 8) – 12.5%

TEAC (2 of 9) – 22.2%

Fujitsu (5 of 14) – 35.7%

NEC (4 of 10) – 40%

Sony (1 of 2) - 50%

Pioneer (5 of 10) – 50.0%

I still think that the 2 Teac Votes were Retention.

Unless they were old models

Edited by teacplasma

I still think that the 2 Teac Votes were Retention.

Unless they were old models

I'd be surprised if any of the panels in this poll had burn-in rather than temporary image retention. I think you'll find that the older panels seem to be more bullet-proof than the newer models that seem to be pushing the limits of contrast/brightness levels in plasma technology.

I'd be surprised if any of the panels in this poll had burn-in rather than temporary image retention. I think you'll find that the older panels seem to be more bullet-proof than the newer models that seem to be pushing the limits of contrast/brightness levels in plasma technology.
I had one person tell me that (Teacplasma). This is reflected in the summary. You will note that although the table says 3 vs 6, the summary says 2 vs 7. I asked the moderators to edit the poll but they have not.

Are you saying you also voted incorrectly?

If anyone has voted incorrectly (by mistake) tell me and I will take it into account.

Edited by Lyle

I had one person tell me that (Teacplasma). This is reflected in the summary. You will note that although the table says 3 vs 6, the summary says 2 vs 7. I asked the moderators to edit the poll but they have not.

Are you saying you also voted incorrectly?

If anyone has voted incorrectly (by mistake) tell me and I will take it into account.

I'm sure I voted no Burn. But at the time when the poll started I wonder if people put down retention as a vote as you did ask for but I would be very supprised if current Teac had Burn in Issues.