1366x786 for 720p?!

I'm still looking for a HD LCD TV within the next month or 2 and given current state of 1080p capable ones I think I may have to settle for a cheaper lower res one :blink:

While looking I've noticed ALOT of LCD TVs use a resolution of 1366x786, WTF!!! Am I wrong in thinking that NO HD format is 1366x786? If not then why does this resolution exist? I'd have thaught a TV with a native res of 1280x720 would have far better picture quality than 1366x786 and would be cheaper too. 1366x786 would introduce some (altho I admit barely noticable) artifacts with scaling wouldn't it? And 1080i wouldn't look too great either would it?

Can anyone offer experiances/opinions with 1366x786 vs 1280x720?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See a thread in here regarding the BenQ 3750 37" 1080p LCD.. which can be had for around $3K...

Also interested in why they chose 1366x768.....

I myself am waiting for the Philips 37PF9830, but its RRP of $5500 will scare most off.

I'm still looking for a HD LCD TV within the next month or 2 and given current state of 1080p capable ones I think I may have to settle for a cheaper lower res one :blink:

While looking I've noticed ALOT of LCD TVs use a resolution of 1366x786, WTF!!! Am I wrong in thinking that NO HD format is 1366x786? If not then why does this resolution exist? I'd have thaught a TV with a native res of 1280x720 would have far better picture quality than 1366x786 and would be cheaper too. 1366x786 would introduce some (altho I admit barely noticable) artifacts with scaling wouldn't it? And 1080i wouldn't look too great either would it?

Can anyone offer experiances/opinions with 1366x786 vs 1280x720?

1366x768 also has a lot to do with the fact that its a 16:9 resolution (1:1.78)

I suppose they could have gone 1280x720 (so "natively" 720 lines), as this is also 16:9 resolution

As is 1920x1080, but it would appear that 1366x768 was the "interim" resolution chosen until better/cheaper/etc 1080p panels are available

I have heard it mentioned before that it could be something to do with manufacturing process... but there are a hell of a lot of panels with 1366x768, including 55" plasma screens

But personally unsure exactly why those specific numbers were chosen (ie 1366x768)..

cheers :blink:

yeah I think a good example of that is the ALiS 42" panels, 1024x1024 res...

Indeed, but scaling is scaling - quoting from that link:

For 1024x1024 ALiS panels, it gets even stranger! The vertical image map is within 5.2% of full resolution, but the horizontal pixels must be sampled and compressed by 47%. This is why 1080i HDTV often looks crisper on lower4-resolution panels that employ a linear reduction and pixel decimation.

And of course, those 1024x768 non-square panels require an equally bizarre re-mapping process. Consider that a 4x3 1024x768 source image from a PC must be resized to 767x768 non-square pixels for display, while a 1920x1080 HD signal is decimated by 47% horizontally and 29% vertically! It's a daunting task, but can be pulled off with premium image scaling.

OK I think I get why they make that res now (tho I still think it is stupid :blink: ) so what are peoples experiances with 1366x768? And how does the quality compare to a set with a native resolution of 1280x720?

I'm extremely paraniod of scaling because the main reason I'm getting a HD LCD TV is for XBox360 and PS3 which will have an extremely crisp image free from MPEG based video artifacts and the lack of detail in video that wasn't recorded in HD. This will make scaling fairly blatent (particularly on fonts and huds) so I'm thinking I might be better off with a TV with a native HD resolution rather than one where scaling is always in effect. But obviously I dont know everything and the scaling might not be so bad :P.

So let me know what u think, 1366x768 or 1280x720 :P

BTW I wont be using 1080i from XBox360 or PS3 because it'll slow down and u lose some detail that might be important (like crosshair) so I'll be using 1280x720 (unless I get a TV with a native res of 1920x1080 :P ).

You know with all this scaling going on you wonder how the things ever work.

Even the 42" plasmas called "hd" have a 1024x768 res. which given that this 4:3 aspect ratio is spread over 16:9, means you have rectangular pixels. Which means another lot of scaling (so that circles do not look like ovals).

If you wish to avoid scaling another thing to watch for is the signal input resolutions (and frequencies). As Owen pointed out in another thread many displays do not accept input of the signal resolution of their own native display. ie a display with a native resolution of 1366x768 many not have a signal input of 1366x768.

Yer, I been looking at the 1920x1080 TVs and I have yet to see one available in Aus that supports 1920x1080 from the PC or even 1080p :blink:

For video I'd happily settle for 1366x768, I watch all my dvds on my PC at 1024x768@60hz on a 17" CRT monitor (with black bars to keep aspect ratio) and think the quality is plenty good enough, but for gaming and PC use res and scaling is a real issue for me :P.

Best native resolution for Xbox360 and PS3 (and HD TV for that matter) is either 1280x720 (very rare) or 1920x1080 (becoming ever more common). There are more important things than native resolution however when it comes to gaming on a LCD TV. Lazy response times can really hurt gamers as most games contain full-screen panning and/or rotaing and usually at fast speeds. Don't go for anything greater than 8ms and audition if possible because some brands claims of 8ms are dubious at best.

Yer, I'm well aware of the common pitfalls of gaming as I program games for a living :blink:

Till recently I been 100% PC on a CRT monitor since consoles SUCK ASS, but occasionally a good game is made for console and it exclusive to console or would be best played with controller (like 3rd person with camera relative movement like ratchet and clank). Anyway, rant aside, my point is that I'm only new to fixed resolution displays and know about other the other issues :P.

Excuse my ignorance....

but doesnt the 1080p BenQ have a DVI input.... so couldnt you get a graphics card with a DVI output and hook it up that way?

Isnt the Pc resolution restriction (in regards to TV's) to do with their D-Sub connection????

Yes the 1080p displays do not take a pure 1080p signal but couldnt you give it a 1080i signal then de-interlace???

Yer, I been looking at the 1920x1080 TVs and I have yet to see one available in Aus that supports 1920x1080 from the PC or even 1080p :blink:

For video I'd happily settle for 1366x768, I watch all my dvds on my PC at 1024x768@60hz on a 17" CRT monitor (with black bars to keep aspect ratio) and think the quality is plenty good enough, but for gaming and PC use res and scaling is a real issue for me :P.

With regards to the XBox360, ALL games will support at least 720p, whilst only a handful will support 1080i... They'll only support 1080i if they deem that the console can handle it, and the console is VERY powerful so I doubt there would be a problem running most games at 1080i. Some games on PC are actually quite playable at 1920x1200, and that's with "equivalent" hardware that the XBox360 uses... We can't really compare apples to apples though, as the games consoles are moving further and further away from a conventional PC.

Whilst 8ms is generally considered "ghost-free", there are some LCDs with a response time of over 8ms that produce zero ghosting... have a look at the Dell 24" and 30" displays, both sporting 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 native resolutions, respectively.

Btw, you'll be hard pressed finding a Plasma or LCD with a native resolution of 1280x720.. they do exist, it's just not as widely available as 1366x768.

Excuse my ignorance....

Isnt the Pc resolution restriction (in regards to TV's) to do with their D-Sub connection????

No. The panel might be 1920x1080 native res, but to be able to run 1920x1080 would require an upgrade in the TV's electronics. Which costs the manufacturer $$$. Never fear, judging from the last CES there should lots of 1080p displays coming out this year. (Whether these TV's will support 1920x1080 driven by PC is another question, but I don't see why they wouldn't).

(Whether these TV's will support 1920x1080 driven by PC is another question, but I don't see why they wouldn't).

this is what i was alluding to.... if a panel can handle 1920x1080i from a HD STB then wouldnt it stand to reason that it could also accept a 1080i signal from a PC video card via DVI ???

this is what i was alluding to.... if a panel can handle 1920x1080i from a HD STB then wouldnt it stand to reason that it could also accept a 1080i signal from a PC video card via DVI ???

1080i INTERLACED which 1/2 required bandwidth and halving actual data passed............!

1080p PROGRESSIVE which FULL actual bandwidth and FULL resolution data passed........!

You got that?

1080i OKAY on ALL HD ready displays...............

1080p NOT OKAY on HD displays EVEN ones with 1080p panels as firmware in display must be capable "behind" input.

DA

Sorry princess... no need to be patronising... no need to be an internet hero..

of course i know the difference between i and p.....

can you get a pc graphics card to pass 1080i ???? if you can then you can pass that from the graphics card to the pc via DVI and "DE-INTERLACE" the signal, and hence use all of the pixels available.. on a 1080p capable panel

1080i INTERLACED which 1/2 required bandwidth and halving actual data passed............!

1080p PROGRESSIVE which FULL actual bandwidth and FULL resolution data passed........!

You got that?

1080i OKAY on ALL HD ready displays...............

1080p NOT OKAY on HD displays EVEN ones with 1080p panels as firmware in display must be capable "behind" input.

DA

Here you go... you can get a PC card that outputs 1080i......

http://reviews.cnet.com/PNY_Verto_GeForce_...31474210-2.html

PNY was thoughtful with the bundled adapters, too. The Verto card has two digital video outputs--a great feature for those with LCD monitors. PNY also provides two DVI-toVGA adapters, which you'll need if you still have a CRT or an analog-only LCD. Like all GeForce 7800 GT cards, the Verto is capable of running dual-link DVI. This lets you achieve a maximum resolution of 2,560x1,600 at a 60Hz refresh rate, which high-end monitors such as Apple's 30-inch Cinema HD Display require.

With PCs taking over more and more home-theater duties, it's important that your graphics card work with several different components. The Verto comes with both a standard S-Video output and an S-Video cable for plugging into your television. More exciting, it comes with an HDTV-out adapter, which means you can output content from your PC at HD resolution of up to 1080i.