Your preference for TV station logos

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot the "I don't care because I own an LCD" response option!

:blink::P:P:P:D

I am sitting at work where we have both CRT and LCD monitors (mind you, none of them are expensive, and none of them are particularly new).

The hospital logo (Screen saver) is burnt into both types of screens.

So I would suggest that CRT and LCD are more difficult to burn an image, but not impossible.

Edit : See below post. What I am seeing is (very) persistent image retention, and not true 'burn in'.

J.

Edited by Scalpel

I am sitting at work where we have both CRT and LCD monitors (mind you, none of them are expensive, and none of them are particularly new).

The hospital logo (Screen saver) is burnt into both types of screens.

So I would suggest that CRT and LCD are more difficult to burn an image, but not impossible.

J.

I've definately heard of CRT burn-in, but LCD? To me thats unheard of.. Are you sure you're describing the right defect?

I've definately heard of CRT burn-in, but LCD? To me thats unheard of.. Are you sure you're describing the right defect?

What - that the logo is visible as a faint image on the screen whatever is displayed (when the backgound is light enough to see it). :P

As the computers are on 24/24 365 days a year, I haven't bothered to turn one off for a day, nor have I left it on a white screen or noise for a day to see how 'temporary" this is. But I guess it could be just image retention that is lasting longer than I could be bothered sitting at a computer for. :blink:

Certainly there after 3-4 hours use without the screensaver reactivating.

J.

(Link) Did a quick look - this link suggests that what I am seeing may be just temporary. But then, to be fair, I suspect that what a lot of people are talking about on Plasmas is of similar duration. ie not permanent IF you very actively do something to remove it.

Here is another - (Dell advice about their own monitors)

Reversal of Image Retention

Retained images can be removed by "exercising" the LCD pixels to bleed-off the residual electrical charge in the affected pixels. This can most easily be accomplished by using a random pattern screen saver that changes the screen image repeatedly. The time required to clear the stuck image can vary widely (minutes, hours, days) depending on the panel technology and the severity of the image retention.

NOTE: Turning the LCD monitor off for an extended period of time does not clear the image. The charge must be bled off by exercising the pixels with random images.

Edited by Scalpel

What - that the logo is visible as a faint image on the screen whatever is displayed (when the backgound is light enough to see it). :P

As the computers are on 24/24 365 days a year, I haven't bothered to turn one off for a day, nor have I left it on a white screen or noise for a day to see how 'temporary" this is. But I guess it could be just image retention that is lasting longer than I could be bothered sitting at a computer for. :blink:

Certainly there after 3-4 hours use without the screensaver reactivating.

J.

(Link) Did a quick look - this link suggests that what I am seeing may be just temporary. But then, to be fair, I suspect that what a lot of people are talking about on Plasmas is of similar duration. ie not permanent IF you very actively do something to remove it.

Here is another - (Dell advice about their own monitors)

Wow that is a first for me.. I had honsetly never heard of LCD screens burning in

I'm sure that all the stations are aware that every viewer hates logos. The reason for them is content protection. This is particularly important for sporting events where other stations are permitted to show a portion of the sporting event in their news coverage.

the networks themselves have no regard for content protection and watermarks. How many times have you seen the likes of ch fuzz over another netowrks watermark and put theirs right over it.

I don't mind watermarks as long as theyre subtle and transparent transluscent so as not to draw away from the onscreen program itself.

ch 2 were reasonably cooperative on the water mark side of things we all jumped up and down and lodged compaints when they plonked their large hard to miss watermark on our screens. they reduced the size and made it pretty transluscent. probably the best compramise we could have got.

with ch9 thats probably the best we could get as well.

that said watched the whole cricket match yesterday and theres no watermark burnt onto my plasma screen.

They really don't care what the viewer thinks about the watermark. If they did, they would know that any sane person does not want any additional mark or obscuring graphic over films, TV shows etc. It's dead obvious.

So with all due respect, a poll showing that viewers don't like it is like a poll showing that people don't like paying for parking.

Wow that is a first for me.. I had honsetly never heard of LCD screens burning in

We had an LCD monitor at work with a similar situation- ie. a logo appearing on faint backgrounds. I went back to check on the same monitor recently and the "burnt" image could no longer be seen. The above explanations on pixels needing excercise would tend to agree with what I've seen.

The bad thing about plasmas is that you are effectively ageing the whole screen to get rid of the retention or burn in; whereas an LCD doesn't age from doing the same thing.

how about just moving the logo to the corner of the screen?

unfortunately all the tv stations very frustatingly have the logo displayed in the 4:3 area of the screen as presuably to ensure the bulk of majority that still have 4:3 screens out there do not miss out on the experience of of its onscreen presence.

Hopefully as more and more people get widescreen tvs eventually the networks will move the logo off in the corner rather than right in the middle section as it is now with a widescreen picture