DVD burner for PC

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a few reports giving the latest Pioneers a bit of a negative press. And they are generally reported as being a bit noisy. Do a search you should get more detailed reports.

I am using a LG GSA-4163 ( yES A BLOODY LG ) it works a treat it will record onto anything including DVD-Ram and Double Layer.

Comes with Nero 6 ( the lite version ) PowerDVD etc. O.K. for basic stuff you would need to upgrade if you want to do advanced Video Editing though.

You can get the LG for as little as $65.00 at that price its an absolute bargain.

And He He LG they seem to be dead reliable as well. ( I have an LG DVD HDD recorder which is another story altogether.!! )

MWD

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a dvd burner for pc. Is pioneer still considered up there and what software should I get for video editing. I have seen the pioneer and sony DVD burners bundled with Nero 6.

I have the LG and its excellent, if you want to make back up copies of DVDs you need DVD Shrink, DVD Dycryptor, DVD 43, all can be downloaded for free if you want detailed advice have a look at the Digital Video Forum, lots of help for anything DVD

Benq or Plextor.... okay, maybe not Plextor as they're insanely expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for...

Just about every brand is around the $50-70 except for Plextor. If you find any other brand costing more than $70, you are paying too much for it.

Do a search of a particular brand and model at http://www.staticice.com.au

or just download the following, if you live in Sydney, Victoria or Queensland: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a dvd burner for pc. Is pioneer still considered up there and what software should I get for video editing. I have seen the pioneer and sony DVD burners bundled with Nero 6.

Personally, I have not heard any negative press on the Pioneer DVD Writers.

PC User Jan 2006 nominated the Pioneer DVR-110 as the best DVD Burner available.

I currently have a Pioneer 109 and it has worked beautifully.

In the case of the Sony DVD Writers, I have heard negative feedback on them.

Plextor are without doubt the best, but pionner in my opinion are fantastic drives - especially now theyre dirt cheap!! there was some issues with the first release of the firmware in the 110D - has been rectified now.

My next drive will be a pioneer (Im still using a 106D).

Cheers,

Bitey

Got two LGs in mine, no problems so far.

Nero OEM version which comes with most DVD burners will not burn Video DVDs, need to upgrade.

I went for Nero 7 Premium Demo version and bought an activation licence which cost me $A65(much cheaper than the retail version at between $A175 and $A200.. So far it has done all I have asked it to do.

Note: It and the retail version doesn't come with any written manuals, you need to download them(PDF files around 600 pages all up.). Add ProjectX(now in Windows install format) and Shrink, and you should be reasonably equipped.

I have seen a few reports giving the latest Pioneers a bit of a negative press. And they are generally reported as being a bit noisy. Do a search you should get more detailed reports.

I am using a LG GSA-4163 ( yES A BLOODY LG ) it works a treat it will record onto anything including DVD-Ram and Double Layer.

Comes with Nero 6 ( the lite version ) PowerDVD etc. O.K. for basic stuff you would need to upgrade if you want to do advanced Video Editing though.

You can get the LG for as little as $65.00 at that price its an absolute bargain.

And He He LG they seem to be dead reliable as well. ( I have an LG DVD HDD recorder which is another story altogether.!! )

MWD

Thanks for the info. Will all this software enable me to make backup discs of DVDs

Hi everyone,

I've also got the LG "does everything" model, not had any problems for over 12 months.

Also have a Sony Lightscribe in another machine but can't play with it yet as machine died after 2 days use and is being fixed under warranty (Medion P4).

Had an Optorite in a machine I use to demonstrate stuff at TAFE - should be renamed Optoshite! Avoid at all costs, did about 6 burns before it started playing up.

Never had a problem with any LiteOn burners over the years, or Ricoh and once I had done a firmware update on a Pioneer and installed an 80-wire cable it was fine as well.

Couple of points just in case you haven't trawled through the real expert's comments here:

Don't use cr*p media as you get what you pay for - it seems the only truly reliable BULK media is TY, everything else is probably the dreaded CMC rebadged as TDK, Verbatim, Shintaro, Princo or whatever. If what you are going to burn is important, then spend the extra few cents and get the good stuff. Plenty of threads elsewhere about this.

Burn at half the rated speed of the blank media, regardless of the speed of your burner:

16X burner, 8X rated media. burn at 4X! (Not my ideas, collected from these forums over the years and put into practice with great success except for Verbatim Inkjet Printable 8X spindle of 50 - failure rate of around 50% at 4X, can't set a lower speed!).

Burners are amazingly cheap these days and I guess with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD lurking they might even get cheaper. I just wish the blanks were more consistent as you don't know who made what untill after you have opened the pack and run it through DVDIdentifier.

Cheers

DaViD.

Got two LGs in mine, no problems so far.

Nero OEM version which comes with most DVD burners will not burn Video DVDs, need to upgrade.

I went for Nero 7 Premium Demo version and bought an activation licence which cost me $A65(much cheaper than the retail version at between $A175 and $A200.. So far it has done all I have asked it to do.

Note: It and the retail version doesn't come with any written manuals, you need to download them(PDF files around 600 pages all up.). Add ProjectX(now in Windows install format) and Shrink, and you should be reasonably equipped.

I tried out Nero 7 Premium Demo and found that in Nero Cover Designer 2, my dvd cover templates had lost their black outlines. This did not occur with a friends official Nero 7 installation disk, I think this version is 7.0.0.0, so far versions 7.0.1.2 and 7.0.1.4 have changed my template. I don't know how to reclaim the highlighted black lines. I went back to an original version and my templates were fine. The release notes for the new Nero CoverDesigner Version were detailed as "Minor Changes"

Here's a screenshot

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/645/coverdes21hs.jpg

Any thoughts?

My new burner is also the pioneer 110, no problems so far, but I have the current firmware and I can't call it noisy, but some may have been unluckly.

Needless to say, always use quality media as said, and even tho the burner will do at upto 16x I think, I still only burn at 4x, usually with 8x media at the moment.

I'll second the DW1640, my current favorite, I also have the Pioneer 110, 109, 107, Current LG, Samsung, LiteOn models and the Benq consistantly does the best burns with the lowest PI and PO errors of all of them, Pioneer 110 a close second.

DW1640 is an excellent, but from my experience using Pioneer 109/110, I would not recommend Pioneer instead I think NEC 3520/40 to be much better writer than both Pioneer 109/110.

Personally, I have not heard any negative press on the Pioneer DVD Writers.

PC User Jan 2006 nominated the Pioneer DVR-110 as the best DVD Burner available.

I currently have a Pioneer 109 and it has worked beautifully.

In the case of the Sony DVD Writers, I have heard negative feedback on them.

I got the Pioneer DVR-110 for $68 without any s/w.

A word of warning about getting this without the s/w bundle. I found it impossible to get it working reliably on VirtualDrive Pro (CD/DVD emulator + DVD burner), Burn4Free and even my old copy of Nero 5.

I had to get a Nero 6 off eBay for $8 to make it work.