Diary of a Hitachi 42PD8800TA purchase

DAY 1

Tuesday 3 January 2006

Pack wife and three kids in car to go to local electrical retail store to purchase a skin for Apple Ipod Nano. Walk out $4,000 lighter having purchased:

1) Hitachi 42PD8800TA

2) LG STB LST5100p

3) HDMI cable

4) DVI-> HDMI adapter

5) Component cable for existing DVD player

6) Plasma glass cleaning kit

7) but no skin

TV has to be ordered, pay in full but leave store with no equipment.

DAY 7 - TV ARRIVES

Monday 9 January

Receive call from store around 3.30pm to say TV has arrived. As I had to pick wife up from work, we don't get to store until 4.45pm to collect goodies. Store closes at 5.30pm, however due to lack of store persons, have to wait until 5.20pm to receive goods from a salesperson. Hurried through collection as closing time in 10 minutes. Forgot to ask about stand. Sure enough, get home and realise there was no stand with the goods.

DAY 8

Tuesday 10 January

Call store not long after opening time. Explained situation. Store contact took my details and said they would look into and get back to me in 15 minutes. 90 minutes later no word from store. As I am back at work I call wife and tell her to pack the kids in the car and go to store and follow up in person. The initial person she spoke to all but accused her of receiving the stand and trying to obtain another one as a freebee. Thankfully two other staff members remembered us from the previous day and confirmed that they forgot to give us the motorised stand. 20 minutes later after a thorough search of store no stand. "Must have been given to someone else and that person has not returned it". Wife left with promise that store would order another.

DAY 12

Saturday 14 January

Wife called store (as I was at golf...naturally) to enquire where abouts of stand. Original sales person checked into it and said it would be here on Monday (16 January).

DAY 14

Monday 16 January

Around 3.00pm I call store to see if stand is in. Was told by a store person that no outstanding order was recorded for us. Ask to speak to original sales person who says he will look into it and call me back. He called back a little later to say he was waiting on a call back from the supplier and he would let me know just after 5.00pm. He called back just before 5.30pm to say he hadn't heard back from supplier. Said he would follow up in morning and call me back.

DAY 15

Tuesday 17 January

I left it until lunchtime to call and find out where we were at. Was told by receptionist that the sales person had gone home. I asked to speak to store manager. He was busy and would call me back shortly. After 30 minutes I called back and again asked to speak to store manager. Got through to him and explained my situation. He said he would look into it and would get back to me. To his credit he was back on the phone within 30 mintues. He basically said they had to order a replacement from Hitachi in Melbourne and it would be here on Monday 23 January, possibly earlier.

SUMMARY

The TV took 6 days to deliver from order. The motorised stand looks like it will take a further 14 days to deliver from the date the TV arrived. If the TV only took 6 days why is the stand taking a further 14 days???

MESSAGE TO OTHER Hitachi 42PD8800TA OWNERS

I hope you are enjoying your TVs. Could you please send a couple of pics with a TV show or DVD being displayed. I would like to see what the big plastic/metal thing in the box should look like !!!

We got a shipment of 42PD380TA's into the shop and G&R marketing (suppliers of Hitachi) sent the incorrect stands. I call our contact at G&R, Matt, inform him of the situation, and sure enough within 3 days the proper stands arrived and incorrect ones returned via pacific transport.

The store is obviously disorganised, as Hitachi stock is always plentiful, especially the mechanical stands associated with the 8800TA series. If they had in natural fact ordered the stand for you it should have been at the store in NO LONGER than a week. Keeping in mind, I am in Broome WA, and i receive items that quickly from Melbourne!

Good luck anyway mate, and that is a pretty good price for all that gear! You will enjoy the panel, as the 8800TA series is absolutely brilliant!

Hey pbwhi0,

Bummer about the delay dude, some people just shouldn't be aloud to contribute to the gene pool :blink: !! Make sure you hit these moron's up for a freebie (compensation) for starters for accusing you of theft :P . Care to name the store :ph34r: ? Anyway you won't be disappointed when you get your 8800 set up, and running :P !!!

Until then a pick of TOP GUN to tide you over from my 8800, enjoy!

Jas

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=Att...ype=post&id=725

mootface - thanks for the info. I suspected that there was more to this than a supplier problem. Yes the price was good and previous service from store has been excellent so I am prepared to give them one last chance to deliver.

RXV3000 - thanks for the photo. I have a copy of Top Gun so I will be sure to fire it up when I finally get the chance. The store is a Queensland chain and I purchased in Brisbane. They have been great for previous purchases (washing machine, fridge and other smaller electrical items) so I will give the manager a chance to make good on his promise before revealling their identity.

At least the delay has enabled me to setup all the other equipment with the cables laying on the top of the cabinet ready for Monday. Plus I am perusing this site for details of settings and how to run in the TV so the delay is not wasted. At least as a pure novice (current tv is 68cm CRT of cheapie origin) I have been able to use this time to research info so I can get the best out of the display when I get to hook it up.

Cheers, Paul

pbwhi0

Just in case your stand doesn't arrive on monday. The box with the stand in it doesn't say anything to link to the 8800. Just has the model number on it. SD8G4237.

Could it be that it's in the shops store room and the storeperson doesn't know whats it's for ?

Surley Hitachi wouldn't ship it out without the stand.

I too picked up my 8800 without the stand. Even asked the sales guy if it came seperate. He said no. Luckly when I got back to work 3 km's away I checked it out and went back and got the stand same day.

Steve

pbwhi0 i feel your pain. after getting approval from the minister for war and finance i went shopping on wednesday the 11th of jan. walked out $4600 lighter after buying pana viera, lg lst5100p cables and 5 year warranties for both. he said he will have to get tv in from another store as don't have any should be there friday, monday at latest.

basically after alot of dicking around i still have no tv, maybe today, should be in tomorrow. after being told wednesday at latest only found out it got picked up wednesday morning by courier, then will take two days cause its overnight into sydney, then overnight into newcastle. so 1 week after paying, i have hopefully one more sleep til i get to pick it up.

they offered free delivery and installation for dicking me around but that couldn't happen until monday, no chance i'm waiting any longer than i have to.

Great news. Got a phone call today to say stand was in. As I was at work I got the wife to pick it up. Someone unknown gave it to her. The original sale person couldn't even take the time to present it to her and offer an apology. Never mind...it is set up now.

Interestingly though, the box had been resealed. I don't think it had been used as the washes on the bolts had not been set in (they are a split washer that 'squashes' when tightened).

More interesting was that the box was from the same shipment as the TV. The dispatch docket stuck to the outside had the same dispatch date (5/1/06) and was listed as Box 4/4. The TV was 3/4. So it appears this was my original stand that was 'misplaced'.

Anyhow, here are some pics...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paulbwhite...ges/plasma1.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paulbwhite...ges/plasma2.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paulbwhite...ges/plasma3.jpg

I am now looking forward to getting the best out of this bad boy. Suggestions and advice from anyone with a LG - LST5100P STB hooked up to the 8800 would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

pbwhi0

Just in case your stand doesn't arrive on monday. The box with the stand in it doesn't say anything to link to the 8800. Just has the model number on it. SD8G4237.

Could it be that it's in the shops store room and the storeperson doesn't know whats it's for ?

Surley Hitachi wouldn't ship it out without the stand.

I too picked up my 8800 without the stand. Even asked the sales guy if it came seperate. He said no. Luckly when I got back to work 3 km's away I checked it out and went back and got the stand same day.

Steve

Makes you wonder if the Hitachi motorised stand can be used with other plasmas (that some staff may have at home)?

Makes you wonder if the Hitachi motorised stand can be used with other plasmas (that some staff may have at home)?

:blink:

some shonks probably try their luck.

hitachi should really do somethign about all these separate items and include them in the packasge some how.

I knwo when I got my hitachi the speakers were in a different pack and the warehouse guy at HN conveneiently forgot to get them as well. It was only the hn sales guy who did the check off to make sure everythign was there who picked it up as missing and made sure I got it with my plasma.

In fact, they did that with the 7800TA model when I bought mine. There was only one package containing the speakers and even the motorised stand was already assembled. All I need do is unpack and away it goes.

Cheers.

wonder why they reverted withthe newer model jsut to add to the confusion no doubt !

Im not sure if it is hotachi that have the problem. When i bought my Hitachi 32LD8800TA jb said it would take like a week for them to get it in stock. Then one day later its there and i get it home to enjoy my viewing pleasure. :blink:

Also i am probably lucky cause the speakers, stand and tv all come in one box. LOL.

Oh yeah I got a LG 5100 hooked up. :P

• 2 years later...
You poor thing!! My 8800 is arriving on 27 January, and being professionally wall mounted that afternoon. Am SOOO looking forward to it, would be devastated if something went wrong and I had to wait longer.

I bought an used 42PD8900TA which was wall mounted. I am looking for the stand SD8G4237, would you be interested to sell it?

Tom