Sign in to follow this  
mgaleano

C913

Here's a Wikipedia article on C91.3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C91.3

That last one-line paragraph on the article was quite true for the station from my experience on listening to them, especially as a local, living in C91.3's licence area:

Originally, the station played classic rock hits, but then shifted to CHR in 2004.

CHR = Contemporary Hit Radio - a radio format that focuses on playing current and recent popular music as determined by the Top 40.

Yes, C91.3 is mostly CHR, but also throws in some 80s & 90s rock-oriented tracks as well, and sometimes a 70s rock track.

I notice that C913 is starting to sound like I98 FM.

I just listened to C91.3 for a bit & it seems that they're now taking "Nothing but 90s" program, networked from i98FM (fellow WIN-owned station), on Saturday nights from 6pm (i98FM airs it on Sunday afternoons from 5pm).

I can get it on my mother's mobile phone that has an FM tuner, on the balcony of my brother's apartment, in Pyrmont, but could not get it well on my brother's home stereo (I could get 2GO, Wave FM & i98FM better than C91.3).

On Sunday nights, C91.3 also does the Aussie music show, which is the station's own production, as i98FM does not do the program.

A bit of "where are they now" for former C91.3 personalities, with many dropped from the station in late 2005, when the "new" C91.3 was brought up in January 2006, making the sound of the station younger, in both music & personalities (with the exception of Stuart Cranney).

Mal Lees (breakfast presenter 2003-05) - doing casual on WS-FM, currently filling in for Ron E Sparks on the 9am-2pm slot

Mardi Cole (breakfast presenter 2003-05) - doing casual on 2CH, currently filling in for Steve Murphy on the afternoon slot

David Archer (afternoon presenter 2004-05) - doing drive on Penrith's narrowcast station Kick FM

Rob Duckworth (breakfast presenter 2001-02) - doing afternoons on Triple M Sydney

Byron Webb (afternoon presenter 2001-04) - doing casuals on WS-FM/MIX 106.5, currently not doing any filling in

From "New Media Laws" thread:

C91.3 does a great job though I don't listen much any more. No more classic nine at nine sniff sniff.

I'm with you on this, re no more "Classic 9 @ 9". :blink:

Apart from that, C91.3 is quite okay to listen to from time to time, but maybe that's because I live in their licence area. :D

Interestingly, WIN Corp's Wollongong station, i98FM, are now doing "Ten from Then" at 9am weekdays, which mostly focused on 10 songs from one particular year of the 90s & 2000s, but sometimes they'll highlight 10 songs from a particular year of the late 80s as well.

Re Stuart Cranney, he's still doing his old shift, but is now starting at 10am.

I haven't mentioned this before, but since earlier this year, Rob Doorey's breakfast program now finishes at 9am & therefore, Stuart Cranney starts at 9am, like it was before Rob Doorey started doing breakfast.

Unfortunately, Cranney's recent 're-shift' of his starting time from 10am to 9am hasn't included the return of the "Classic 9 @ 9". That trademark is now under WS-FM's hands, even though it's not theme-based. Maybe they should do "Ten from Then", like what i98FM in Wollongong does?

I think of some of the memories of when C91.3 had the "Classic 9 @ 9". Not only did they had it at 9am weekdays, but they replayed the same day's "Classic 9 @ 9" at 9pm weeknights, which they stopped doing from around mid-2004. They also had a weekly highlight program of all five Classic 9 @ 9's from 6pm Sundays.

I'm thinking that C91.3 needs to have a music format similar to River 94.9 in Ipswich, which its positioner is "The Biggest Variety of hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s & Whatever", and has the "Ten from Then" at 12pm weekdays, as well as the 6am-6pm No Repeat Workday. At least it'll sound a bit different from any of the major Sydney commercial FM stations, and would have a better music variety than, say, Vega, MMM, Wave FM & 2GO.

As far as the maximum ERP is concerned, C91.3 is 1kW, while River 94.9 is 50kW (with power restrictions towards Brisbane).

You can have a listen to River 94.9 online to get an idea on how C91.3 should sound like. Go to www.river949.com & click on the "Listen Now" button.

My opinion on the current music format of C91.3 is that it's alright, but can be a bit more 'out-there' in contrast to the major Sydney commercial FM stations. In most times, the earliest decade they play from is generally the 80s, but when Stuart Cranney is on, you would hear songs from the 70s (and occasionally the 60s) being played.

Over a number of threads, including this one, myself, billybob_chider & mgaleano reckon that C91.3 is now sounding very much like i98FM these days. So I've decided to compare the two stations, in terms of what songs they're playing over the course of the 1-2pm hour on 25/5/2007.

Here it is:

Friday, 25th May, 2007 - 1-2pm

C91.3 - Campbelltown

Local Commercial Competition (excluding Sydney stations): None

"Into The Dark" Ben Lee

"Slide" Goo Goo Dolls

"The Sweet Escape" Gwen Stefani

"Spirit In The Sky" Norman Greenbaum (1970 original)

"Long Day" Matchbox 20

"7 Seconds" Neneh Cherry feat. Youssou N'Dour

A song by Dean Geyer (finished 3rd in last year's Australian Idol)

"Listen Like Theives" INXS

"Selling The Drama" Live

"Beautiful Liar" Beyonce feat. Shakira

Decade breakdown

70s - 1

80s - 1

90s - 4

00s - 4

i98FM - Wollongong

Local Commercial Competition (excluding Sydney & Nowra stations): Wave FM

"Talk" Coldplay

"Suddenly I See" KT Tunstall

"Too Fast For Me" Cruel Sea

"Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" Jet

"Predictable" Delta Goodrem

"This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" Fallout Boy

"Golden Years" David Bowie (an original 1976 hit, not a remix)

"Red Dress" Sugababes

"All Good Things (Come To An End)" Nelly Furtado

"Adam's Song" Blink 182

"Waiting On A World To Change" John Mayer

Decade Breakdown

70s - 1

80s - 0

90s - 1

00s - 8

So, after looking at both of their playlists taken during that same hour, do you now actually think that C91.3 does really sound like i98FM?

It's also worth noting that since this week, C91.3 now has the same news theme/voiceover as i98FM, which was introduced on the latter station earlier this year.

Here's further proof that C91.3 is now really classified as a CHR station, much in the same category as i98FM.

Overnight at around midnight, whilst dial-twiddling, I come across a techno music program that was aired on C91.3, and it announces "Revolution" and also its web address (http://www.clubrevolution.com.au/, where you can go to the 'show station guide' & gives out a list of stations of where the program can be heard). The program is also heard on i98FM, although not at the same time, or in the same part of the program. Apart from i98FM, Power FM Nowra & C91.3, the program is also heard on MRR's CHR stations, such as Sea FM, Star FM & Hot FM.

It is no surprise that some, if not many, businesses & buses in the Campbelltown area prefer to tune to the Sydney stations rather than C91.3, especially to listen to a radio station for a kind of music of which C91.3 doesn't really cover, such as WS-FM & MIX 106.5. Even one bus tuned to 2GO from the Central Coast one time in April last year.

As I reported on MediaSpy, C91.3 is now sourcing its music playlist from i98FM. Whilst they may be some different songs being played between the two stations, both stations are playing the same songs by within a few minutes or at around the same time. That means that not only is C91.3 a clone of i98FM, but it is now also a relay station of i98FM.

Therefore, the only things that separate C91.3 from i98FM is its news/sport/weather bulletin, talkbreaks, traffic reports & ads. What a sad decline of what was once a fully-local commercial radio station for Campbelltown & the Macarthur region. :(

As I reported on MediaSpy, C91.3 is now sourcing its music playlist from i98FM. Whilst they may be some different songs being played between the two stations, both stations are playing the same songs by within a few minutes or at around the same time. That means that not only is C91.3 a clone of i98FM, but it is now also a relay station of i98FM.

Therefore, the only things that separate C91.3 from i98FM is its news/sport/weather bulletin, talkbreaks, traffic reports & ads. What a sad decline of what was once a fully-local commercial radio station for Campbelltown & the Macarthur region. :(

Hmm, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But realistically, I don't think the average listener will notice, let alone care where the music is being sourced from. As long as the radio station still has an actual local presence, then that's really all that matters.

Hmm, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But realistically, I don't think the average listener will notice, let alone care where the music is being sourced from. As long as the radio station still has an actual local presence, then that's really all that matters.

Well, I think it sux really. There's no reason why they can't generate their own playlists

Edited by POWERZONE

Bring back the old i98 FM when it first converted to FM. Then I would not complain too much. :)

What does C91.3 do when I98 airs my generation?

They would just have their own local programming and use their own playlist. Obviously, C91.3 can't air "My Generation" because WS-FM carries it, as well as the fact that WS-FM's licence area covers all of C91.3's licence area.

I reckon that C91.3 should carry "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" like i98FM does, as no other station in the Sydney region carries it (the only other station in the Sydney region I can think of that carries the program, apart from i98FM, is 107.9 from Lithgow). 2DAY used to take "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" up until around 2004, in which they've since taken "American Top 40" with Ryan Seacrest.

They would just have their own local programming and use their own playlist. Obviously, C91.3 can't air "My Generation" because WS-FM carries it, as well as the fact that WS-FM's licence area covers all of C91.3's licence area.

I reckon that C91.3 should carry "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" like i98FM does, as no other station in the Sydney region carries it (the only other station in the Sydney region I can think of that carries the program, apart from i98FM, is 107.9 from Lithgow). 2DAY used to take "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" up until around 2004, in which they've since taken "American Top 40" with Ryan Seacrest.

Last night on C91.3 at 6pm I listen to some ads on Channel 9 and then they played a WIN ad. Strange. Even though WIN owns C91.3 its not in its lic TV area!

Anyway I think the strangest market is the central coast where get NBN and nine and they are within the lic area and have translators up there. That is strange.