C913

As I reported on MediaSpy, C91.3 is now sourcing its music playlist from i98FM. Whilst they may be some different songs being played between the two stations, both stations are playing the same songs by within a few minutes or at around the same time. That means that not only is C91.3 a clone of i98FM, but it is now also a relay station of i98FM.

Therefore, the only things that separate C91.3 from i98FM is its news/sport/weather bulletin, talkbreaks, traffic reports & ads. What a sad decline of what was once a fully-local commercial radio station for Campbelltown & the Macarthur region. :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I reported on MediaSpy, C91.3 is now sourcing its music playlist from i98FM. Whilst they may be some different songs being played between the two stations, both stations are playing the same songs by within a few minutes or at around the same time. That means that not only is C91.3 a clone of i98FM, but it is now also a relay station of i98FM.

Therefore, the only things that separate C91.3 from i98FM is its news/sport/weather bulletin, talkbreaks, traffic reports & ads. What a sad decline of what was once a fully-local commercial radio station for Campbelltown & the Macarthur region. :(

Hmm, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But realistically, I don't think the average listener will notice, let alone care where the music is being sourced from. As long as the radio station still has an actual local presence, then that's really all that matters.

Hmm, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But realistically, I don't think the average listener will notice, let alone care where the music is being sourced from. As long as the radio station still has an actual local presence, then that's really all that matters.

Well, I think it sux really. There's no reason why they can't generate their own playlists

Edited by POWERZONE

Bring back the old i98 FM when it first converted to FM. Then I would not complain too much. :)

What does C91.3 do when I98 airs my generation?

They would just have their own local programming and use their own playlist. Obviously, C91.3 can't air "My Generation" because WS-FM carries it, as well as the fact that WS-FM's licence area covers all of C91.3's licence area.

I reckon that C91.3 should carry "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" like i98FM does, as no other station in the Sydney region carries it (the only other station in the Sydney region I can think of that carries the program, apart from i98FM, is 107.9 from Lithgow). 2DAY used to take "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" up until around 2004, in which they've since taken "American Top 40" with Ryan Seacrest.

• 3 weeks later...
They would just have their own local programming and use their own playlist. Obviously, C91.3 can't air "My Generation" because WS-FM carries it, as well as the fact that WS-FM's licence area covers all of C91.3's licence area.

I reckon that C91.3 should carry "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" like i98FM does, as no other station in the Sydney region carries it (the only other station in the Sydney region I can think of that carries the program, apart from i98FM, is 107.9 from Lithgow). 2DAY used to take "Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40" up until around 2004, in which they've since taken "American Top 40" with Ryan Seacrest.

Last night on C91.3 at 6pm I listen to some ads on Channel 9 and then they played a WIN ad. Strange. Even though WIN owns C91.3 its not in its lic TV area!

Anyway I think the strangest market is the central coast where get NBN and nine and they are within the lic area and have translators up there. That is strange.

Last night on C91.3 at 6pm I listen to some ads on Channel 9 and then they played a WIN ad. Strange. Even though WIN owns C91.3 its not in its lic TV area!

Anyway I think the strangest market is the central coast where get NBN and nine and they are within the lic area and have translators up there. That is strange.

I mentioned a incident like this on Media Spy, re WIN ads on C91.3, which you can read here: http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=442391

• 6 months later...

C91.3, as we know it, is pretty much "dead". From Monday 20th October, they'll be networking with i98 Wollongong not only for its music logs, but for its programming too.

Here's an article from Radioinfo that was posted on MediaSpy.

In what they say is an effort to maximise the talent and resources across the WIN Radio Network, i98 Wollongong and C91.3 Campbelltown will feature all new programs across both stations from next Monday.

There will be a newly developed Drive Program with Maje Saba and Fairlie Hamilton "The Back Seat" heard on both station weekdays from 3pm - 6pm.

Other changes to both i98 and C91 include Afternoons with Ryan Cram and the new evening show “After Hours" hosted by Stolz (Glenn Stolzenhein).

Chantel Armstrong continues as the C91.3 Morning Announcer and Group APD Lachlan Kitchen will host mornings on i98 FM upon his return from Sri Lanka on December 1.

Also, a few weeks ago, Stuart Cranney has left C91.3. Whether he was being "pushed" or has left by choice is uncertain, but I think the former is more possible, considering that Dave Stretton has left i98 in July this year by being "pushed".

In a way, Campbelltown has pretty much lost its own commercial radio station in almost the same way that Penrith/Hawkesbury/Blue Mountains lost their own commercial radio station. :( :(

In a way, Campbelltown has pretty much lost its own commercial radio station in almost the same way that Penrith/Hawkesbury/Blue Mountains lost their own commercial radio station. :( :(

Indeed, regional radio can be often profoundly disappointing. From a music/playlist perspective, my favourite up here is Zinc 96, and their top talent, Jamie Dunn (and his team) has been poached by Brisbane talk station 4BC for 2009. The worst kept radio secret of the past few months. I can imagine a profound impact upon advertising clients, given Dunn was a major drawcard. Same can be said for River 94.9 who have very recently parted ways with Wayne Roberts, another top performer, even more established than Jamie Dunn. I mention this because I know you have drawn some (justifiable) similiarities of c91.3 with River, and such comparisons are even more accurate now that River has a more prudent owner (apparently...) Incidentally, River 94.9 has morphed over the last three to four months, under a new and very competent MD, to change its format to one which is very similiar to the early 2007 c91.3 playlist.

Re c91.3 talent. I know "What's the story, Rob Doorey" is still on breakfast, amicable down-to-earth fella and good talent, was in Brissy doing 4MMM for a good few years, amongst other notable gigs. Stuart Cranney has gone, as you say. Still local breakfast, unless I am mistaken, which is OK. Perhaps all is not lost?

For the record, along with Nowra's Power, I used to love the music c91.3 played in early 2007, and I fully understand your dismay, as a local "champion" of c91.3, Dtv_Campbelltown, at the impending networking. My fave in Sydney. Can't listen on-line but perhaps that's a good thing. What is the playlist like anyway, these days? Hopefully not a hybrid of K-Rock/Triple M/Nova?

Edited by Rock in stereo

For the record, along with Nowra's Power, I used to love the music c91.3 played in early 2007, and I fully understand your dismay, as a local "champion" of c91.3, Dtv_Campbelltown, at the impending networking. My fave in Sydney. Can't listen on-line but perhaps that's a good thing. What is the playlist like anyway, these days? Hopefully not a hybrid of K-Rock/Triple M/Nova?

Here's a hourly playlist from C91.3 that I did back in September:

"Thnks For The Mmrs" Fall Out Boy

"Breakdown" Jack Johnson

"Black & Gold" Sam Sparro

"Everlong" Foo Fighters

"The Sweet Escape" Gwen Stefani

"By The Way" Red Hot Chili Peppers

Some unidentified latest dance track

"Janie's Got A Gun" Aerosmith

"No Air" Chris Brown & Jordin Sparks

"Leonardo (She Likes Me For Me)" Blessed Union Of Souls

It could be said that C91.3 (along with i98) is a hybrid of 2DAY/The Edge/Nova, which really doesn't provide themselves on being an alternative to the Sydney stations like it used to. :(

As for Power FM Nowra, it's still sounding good & is also much better than C91.3/i98 in my opinion. ;)

Edited by dtv_campbelltown

• 1 year later...

C91.3, along with Wollongong-based sister station i98FM, have gotten new websites, which are identical with each other.

C91.3 - http://www.c913.com.au/

i98FM - http://www.i98fm.com.au/

Also, C91.3 has now started streaming online, but it's a bit pointless now, considering that i98FM, with identical music playlist & programming, has also been streaming online for a few years. The only standout for C91.3 over i98 is for its local news & info, and that's it.

Also, both i98 & C91.3's websites have now got their Now Playing/Recently Played feature on their websites, which looks similar to the ones on Vega's websites, which would get readers of this forum an idea of what i98/C91.3 are currently sounding with its music format. I guess one would then agree that C91.3, in particular, does not really sound that different to similar-formatted commercial FM stations that are well-received within C91.3's licence area, such as The Edge, Nova, 2DAY & MIX 106.5.

These days, C91.3 can be considered in many ways as just a 'waste of space' on the FM band in the Sydney region, considering the fact that i98 can be received into many parts of Sydney better than C91.3, at least outside of South-Western Sydney. Also, many young people (under 40) in the Campbelltown region would rather listen to The Edge, Nova, 2DAY & MIX 106.5 than C91.3 for their 'hit music' fix, whilst people over 30 would rather listen to Vega or WS-FM for their 'adult music' fix, which C91.3 used to cater well in that category, but don't anymore.

• 3 months later...

Just read on Jock's Journal that C91.3 are looking for a new breakfast announcer. It would appear that Rob Doorey has left the local breakfast show, after having presented that slot since the beginning of 2006, who replaced the previous breakfast team of Mal Lees (now at Hot Tomato) & Mardi Cole (now at 2CH).

It seemed that all the good people of radio have left C91.3 over the years, which is quite sad, not to mention that its music format & programming has gone downhill over the years to be very much a yet-another 2DAY-clone (I mean, how many does the Sydney region really need of these 2DAY-clones spreading across the FM & DAB+ bands anyway? :rolleyes:)

Looking back, C91.3 had Rob Duckworth for breakfast during 2001-02, Stuart Cranney was presenting mornings from 2001 until he was made redundant in September 2008 (he has since been doing casual announcing on WS-FM), Byron Webb was doing afternoons from 2001 until 2003-04, when he left the station, and Rob Doorey started out at the station doing the drive program. The news director of the station in its early years was former 2WS news director, Greg Hendricks (RIP), who then went on to Sea FM/Gold FM Gold Coast as news director until he sadly passed away last year.

These days, the announcers that C91.3 have currently got are considered to be regional, which is hardly surprising, considering that half of its programming comes out of i98 Wollongong. This is quite ironic, considering what the Daily Telegraph article said about C91.3 when it first went on-air in August 2001:

"We need to hire people of a certain calibre to be on-air because Campbelltown people are used to listening to stations like Triple M and that quality of announcer," Mr Gordon said.

He said he was confident Campbelltown residents would tune in for the station's distinct local flavour, coupled with experienced on- air talent.

"We can't have a regional approach to it, we can't come up with provincial type announcers," he said.

"We have to give people the quality they're used to and the people they're used to, because it gives them a better reason to listen to us."

Now, it appears that since 2008, WIN has pretty much destroyed C91.3 from what it was meant to be, giving local listeners very good reasons to switch to the Sydney-based stations instead for quality announcers, as well as a more decent music mix across the various stations. What C91.3 provides musically is no different to what is already provided by 2DAY, Nova, MIX & The Edge. I don't know why C91.3 bothered to chase after the 2DAY crowd, when they could've sticked with a winning "Best Variety of Rock & Pop" format that they had in its early years. :(

Just read on Jock's Journal that C91.3 are looking for a new breakfast announcer. It would appear that Rob Doorey has left the local breakfast show, after having presented that slot since the beginning of 2006, who replaced the previous breakfast team of Mal Lees (now at Hot Tomato) & Mardi Cole (now at 2CH).

It seemed that all the good people of radio have left C91.3 over the years, which is quite sad, not to mention that its music format & programming has gone downhill over the years to be very much a yet-another 2DAY-clone (I mean, how many does the Sydney region really need of these 2DAY-clones spreading across the FM & DAB+ bands anyway? :rolleyes:)

Looking back, C91.3 had Rob Duckworth for breakfast during 2001-02, Stuart Cranney was presenting mornings from 2001 until he was made redundant in September 2008 (he has since been doing casual announcing on WS-FM), Byron Webb was doing afternoons from 2001 until 2003-04, when he left the station, and Rob Doorey started out at the station doing the drive program. The news director of the station in its early years was former 2WS news director, Greg Hendricks (RIP), who then went on to Sea FM/Gold FM Gold Coast as news director until he sadly passed away last year.

These days, the announcers that C91.3 have currently got are considered to be regional, which is hardly surprising, considering that half of its programming comes out of i98 Wollongong. This is quite ironic, considering what the Daily Telegraph article said about C91.3 when it first went on-air in August 2001:

Now, it appears that since 2008, WIN has pretty much destroyed C91.3 from what it was meant to be, giving local listeners very good reasons to switch to the Sydney-based stations instead for quality announcers, as well as a more decent music mix across the various stations. What C91.3 provides musically is no different to what is already provided by 2DAY, Nova, MIX & The Edge. I don't know why C91.3 bothered to chase after the 2DAY crowd, when they could've sticked with a winning "Best Variety of Rock & Pop" format that they had in its early years. :(

Yes agree 100%. C91.3 was a great station when it first came to air. To some extent so was Vega... They were truly different.

Yes agree 100%. C91.3 was a great station when it first came to air. To some extent so was Vega... They were truly different.

Ah, the good old days when commercial FM radio in the Sydney region was still listenable, which is not really the case in 2010. :(

Apparently, according to C91.3's website, its morning announcer that replaced Stuart Cranney, Chantel Armstrong, has apparently left the station. It wouldn't surprise me if C91.3 dumped its local morning presenter & decided to have its morning program being networked or voicetracked from i98 Wollongong as well, leaving the breakfast program to be the ONLY local program for the station on a weekday.

This is beginning to be sounding like the MSCM-owned Star FM stations in places like Wagga, Griffith, Orange & Port Macquarie etc, where its programming outside of breakfast is not sourced locally, where it doesn't provide local info relevant to a certain market. <_<

What ever happened to the former ABA's promise back in 2001 that C91.3's imposed licence condition ensured that it remained a service provided for the Campbelltown area and that its broadcast programming is intended for and targeted at the audience in the Campbelltown area? That's all but pretty much disappeared, it seems. :(

It's sad to see that the Sydney-based commercial radio stations tend to be more local for Campbelltown than C91.3 is these days.

EDIT: According to Jock's Journal, C91.3 has dumped "The Backseat" & regained its local drive show, with Mike Goldman doing the slot at 3-6pm weekdays. It starts on Monday 25th January.

Edited by dtv_campbelltown

It would appear that Rob Doorey has left the local breakfast show, after having presented that slot since the beginning of 2006, who replaced the previous breakfast team of Mal Lees (now at Hot Tomato) & Mardi Cole (now at 2CH).

According to a post on MediaSpy, as well as the station's website, Rob Doorey has been moved from breakfast to mornings, replacing Chantel Armstrong. It is still unclear on whether C91.3 still has its afternoon program being voicetracked from i98 by Ryan Cram, or that it has a locally-produced afternoon program.

Either way, it's good to see C91.3 regaining more Campbelltown-based local programming, with the recent reinstatement of the local drive program, which is presented by Mike Goldman. :)

I'll listen to it when they go back to basics and make the station the way it was at the beginning :)

It's ironic that the feeder station for the music was a Wollongong station now in direct competition with another stations' format not very different to c91.3 in the good ole days B)

Edited by PZ.

It's ironic that the feeder station for the music was a Wollongong station now in direct competition with another stations' format not very different to c91.3 in the good ole days B)

That other Wollongong station that has a format not very different to C91.3 in the good old days that you speak of is Wave FM, which its positioner is "Radio That Rocks".

However, Wave FM's format is obviously not as good as C91.3's original format. :(

For the first time in quite many years, C91.3 has been given attention by a major Sydney daily newspaper. In today's SMH The Guide, they mainly talked about Mike Goldman joining the station for doing its local drive show, in which he is confident that he'll find a niche in the crowded, highly competitive FM drive market dominated by Hamish & Andy.

The article has also mentioned that C91.3 has been run down in recent years, with much of the programming coming from sister station i98 in Wollongong. Group program director Phil Giblin says that change is under way, with resources being planned for the station this year, which includes the search for a high-profile performer to fill the breakfast slot. Giblin says that it is essential for C91.3 to match the quality and professionalism on offer at the big Sydney stations with an additional layer of localism. He said, "We're looking at putting credibility back into the station with a strong, relevant news service and easily recognised presenters".

Unlike 2WS (now WS-FM) in Western Sydney & 96.1 in Penrith/Blue Mountains (both owned by ARN), C91.3 can manage to get back to its local roots after being in danger of following down the same path on abandoning its local roots.

Here's the whole lot. I hope Mike's got a comfy car, he'll be doing a lot of driving (not to mention the dreaded M5 East car park of fumes) unless he's doing C91.3 Drive from 2SM studios.

The Guide

short wave

Sue Javes

564 words

1 February 2010

The Sydney Morning Herald

SMHH

First

English

© 2010 Copyright John Fairfax Holdings Limited. www.smh.com.au

MORE OF MIKE

Things are looking up for Campbelltown station C91.3. The commercial FM station, with a licence to service the Macarthur and Liverpool region, has been run down in recent years, with much of the programming coming from sister station i98 in Wollongong. Group program director Phil Giblin says change is under way, with more resources planned for the station this year. Former Big Brother presenter Mike Goldman has been installed as the new drive-time host and a search has begun for a high-profile performer to fill the breakfast slot. Giblin says it is essential for C91.3 to match the quality and professionalism on offer at the big Sydney stations with an additional layer of localism. "We're looking at putting credibility back into the station with a strong, relevant news service and easily recognised presenters," he says. Meanwhile, Goldman is confident he'll find a niche in the crowded, highly competitive FM drive market dominated by Austereo's Hamish and Andy. "I think there's a real gap there because most of those other shows are coming from Melbourne," he says. Goldman will continue presenting a breakfast show on Bill Caralis's digital station Gorilla.

I hope Mike's got a comfy car, he'll be doing a lot of driving (not to mention the dreaded M5 East car park of fumes) unless he's doing C91.3 Drive from 2SM studios.

I doubt that he would be doing C91.3's drive show from the 2SM studios. That would be a snub to Campbelltown & Macarthur listeners if that is the case, much like how Ryan Cram & "The Backseat" was aired into C91.3 from the studios of i98 in Wollongong.

Proof that Mike Goldman is doing the drive show in Campbelltown can be seen from this article by the local weekly newspaper, Macarthur Chronicle, which can be read here: http://macarthur-chronicle-camden.whereili...r-mike-goldman/

I doubt that he would be doing C91.3's drive show from the 2SM studios. That would be a snub to Campbelltown & Macarthur listeners if that is the case, much like how Ryan Cram & "The Backseat" was aired into C91.3 from the studios of i98 in Wollongong.

Proof that Mike Goldman is doing the drive show in Campbelltown can be seen from this article by the local weekly newspaper, Macarthur Chronicle, which can be read here: http://macarthur-chronicle-camden.whereili...r-mike-goldman/

I don't think you need to worry about him having to do a lot of driving, or even doing the C91.3 drive show from the 2SM studios, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't even do the Gorilla breakfast live.

I think the Gorilla breakfast is pre-recorded (voice tracked) & played out via automation. Don't know if anyone's noticed but the Gorilla web cam link is no longer to be found anywhere on the site, (probably so no one knows Mike Goldman isn't sitting in the studio of a morning). Fortunately the web cam is still operating & is still live to the web, I also still know the address. I don't have time to sit watching it & I don't particularly like the music so prefer not to listen either, but no one was in the studio this morning between 7.30 am & 8.10 am. It didn't look like the studio was being used for a breakfast program either, because the only thing in it (placed neatly on the desk) was 1 piece of A4 paper & a bottle of water, where as in the 2SM studio next door Grant Goldman had papers everywhere, some books or magazines & even his breakfast all around the studio. Having been in them, I also know what an "on-air" studio looks like when a program is coming out of it, & it doesn't look like the Gorilla studio did.

If anyone has the time to sit watching & listening this is the Gorilla Super Digi Web Cam address Gorilla Super Digi Web Cam

Just looking now, the paper's still there, but the water's gone, nothing else has changed though.

Post your findings, I'm interested to know.

It's a lot of driving to be doing everyday. From Sydney's eastern suburbs to Gorilla (if he keeps it up long term), down to Campbelltown for prior to 3pm and back - there goes most of your day in commuting.

You didn't read my post, did you?

As I said, I don't think he does Gorilla Live.

He probably doesn't even go to the 2SM Pyrmont studios at all during the week, he probably goes to 2SM & pre-records a full week or more worth of Gorilla Breakfast all in 1 day on a Saturday or Sunday?