C913

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I notice that C913 is starting to sound like I98 FM. It doesn't play as much old stuff. Where is Stuart Cranney? He is still on the website. He is not back from leave yet?

Matt

Yeah, it's a pity that C91.3 doesn't play as much old stuff as before. :blink:

In around 2003/04, C91.3 was great to listen to and played a better music variety than what we get now, and was easily one of my most listened-to radio stations next to WS-FM, Nova, JJJ & MIX.

In around mid-2004, the station's positioner changed from "The Best Variety Of Rock & Pop" to "The Best Music in Macarthur", and started playing more pop/dance than before, since the station started broadcasting in 2001.

Even though I live in around Campbelltown, I barely listen to C91.3 anymore ever since they concentrate on being a "Today's Best Music"-type station, and I now spend more time listening to the major Sydney stations, especially Vega, WS-FM, Triple M & even 2GO from Gosford. If I was living in Wollongong, I wouldn't spend a lot of time listening to Wave FM & i98FM, and would tend to listen to the Sydney stations. :P

Re Stuart Cranney, he's still doing his old shift, but is now starting at 10am. Apparently, since Rob Doorey's breakfast show finishes at 10am, there's no more "Classic 9 @ 9". Shame! :P

Yeah, it's a pity that C91.3 doesn't play as much old stuff as before. :blink:

In around 2003/04, C91.3 was great to listen to and played a better music variety than what we get now, and was easily one of my most listened-to radio stations next to WS-FM, Nova, JJJ & MIX.

In around mid-2004, the station's positioner changed from "The Best Variety Of Rock & Pop" to "The Best Music in Macarthur", and started playing more pop/dance than before, since the station started broadcasting in 2001.

Even though I live in around Campbelltown, I barely listen to C91.3 anymore ever since they concentrate on being a "Today's Best Music"-type station, and I now spend more time listening to the major Sydney stations, especially Vega, WS-FM, Triple M & even 2GO from Gosford. If I was living in Wollongong, I wouldn't spend a lot of time listening to Wave FM & i98FM, and would tend to listen to the Sydney stations. :P

Re Stuart Cranney, he's still doing his old shift, but is now starting at 10am. Apparently, since Rob Doorey's breakfast show finishes at 10am, there's no more "Classic 9 @ 9". Shame! :P

Oh no !! Is there a classic 10 at 10 ? So its been since Mid-2004 they have changed format?! I heard last night a dance song and then Jimmy Barnes. It reminds me of I98 FM . At least they are live and local!

Not to mention the cheesy, commercial Simpsons cuts they play between songs :blink: . They really p*ss me off, so I don't listen to them or the station in general. They were good with classic rock when they started, but now like everyone else have fallen for cheap CHR crazy-frog inspired commercial crap radio. But yeah, at least they are too weak to penetrate into all of Sydney, unlike Flava 96.1 shizzle me nizzle.

Oh no !! Is there a classic 10 at 10 ?

I very highly doubt it.

So its been since Mid-2004 they have changed format?! I heard last night a dance song and then Jimmy Barnes. It reminds me of I98 FM . At least they are live and local!

Well, the new music director for C91.3, David Archer, who does the afternoon slot with his request program "Lunch Order", stepped in at the end of May 2004. That was probably his decision to be playing more pop/dance than what the former music director wanted, which was classic rock.

They were good with classic rock when they started, but now like everyone else have fallen for cheap CHR crazy-frog inspired commercial crap radio.

Yeah, it's sad isn't it? :blink:

Just now on C91.3, they were playing "Dirty Creature" by Split Enz from 1982, followed by a dance track from the 2000s that you would normally hear on Nova.

C91.3's music format is pretty inconsistant on what they play, but they are the only commercial radio station to be exclusively serving the Macarthur region.

Here is what's replacing C91.3's "Classic 9 @ 9":

It's called "At Work Network".

More here: http://www.c913.net/c913_dooreytash.jsp

So even though Stuart Cranney remains at the station from 10am-12pm, the "Classic 9 @ 9" is gone for good. :blink:

Looks like my listenership of C91.3 will be greatly reduced in favour of increased listenership of the main Sydney stations, especially Vega, WS-FM & Triple M. :P

Here is what's replacing C91.3's "Classic 9 @ 9":

It's called "At Work Network".

More here: http://www.c913.net/c913_dooreytash.jsp

So even though Stuart Cranney remains at the station from 10am-12pm, the "Classic 9 @ 9" is gone for good. :blink:

Looks like my listenership of C91.3 will be greatly reduced in favour of increased listenership of the main Sydney stations, especially Vega, WS-FM & Triple M. :P

"Campbelltown is home and C91.3 is not just a job - more a hobby and the best fun a Cran can have. "

I thought his classic 9 at 9 was his hobby but it is no more. Think he should join Vega. I prefer him to Wendy Harmer.

• 2 months later...
I notice that C913 is starting to sound like I98 FM. It doesn't play as much old stuff.

Looking back, it seems that it is part of the "new" C91.3 that the station is marketing itself on.

Question - So what's new about the "new" C91.3?

Answer - Playing much less older stuff than before.

So its been since Mid-2004 they have changed format?!

Looking back from Google Groups' aus.radio.broadcast on the changes made on C91.3 since May 2004:

Lots happening in Campbelltown and Wollongong... Malcolm Lees - ex front man from Triple M's Club Veg - is now C91.3FM's new Program Director and Breakfast Show host. Joining Mal in Breakfast is Mardi Cole - this dynamic duo returns to C91.3FM after a seven month break.

Peter Scrine has been appointed Group Station Manger for both i98FM and C91.3FM after the resignation of Phil Giblin. Also returning to C91.3FM is David Archer in the role of Music Director / Afternoon announcer. Rob Doorey and Natasha Gray have moved to the Drive Show.

And another in December 2005, when Mal & Mardi were dropped from C91.3, in preparation for the "new" C91.3:

Gossip travels fast in the radio industry. When Mal Lees and Mardi Cole were given the "don't come back after the holidays" speech last week by the station's new group program director, it took about a nano-second for word to travel to radioinfo's well-connected industry gossip hotline.

Word also came through about other impending lineup changes for the new year which will see other station personalities no longer in the same shifts as this year.

With all that hot gossip about, you would think someone in the station would have let the receptionist into the loop. When radioinfo rang to check the information we were told, like other listeners who enquired:

"They're on holidays."

Since the "new" C91.3 was introduced in January, when Rob Doorey became a breakfast presenter, I barely listen to the station anymore, since they're relying more on newer music than older music, especially when the "Classic 9 @ 9" was given the 'chop'. My father has also switched off C91.3 & now listens to WS-FM in the mornings, with an occasional dose of Vega.

Mgaleano, I take it you barely listen to C91.3 anymore since it began to "sound like i98FM", am I right?

Looking back, it seems that it is part of the "new" C91.3 that the station is marketing itself on.

Question - So what's new about the "new" C91.3?

Answer - Playing much less older stuff than before.

Looking back from Google Groups' aus.radio.broadcast on the changes made on C91.3 since May 2004:

And another in December 2005, when Mal & Mardi were dropped from C91.3, in preparation for the "new" C91.3:

Since the "new" C91.3 was introduced in January, when Rob Doorey became a breakfast presenter, I barely listen to the station anymore, since they're relying more on newer music than older music, especially when the "Classic 9 @ 9" was given the 'chop'. My father has also switched off C91.3 & now listens to WS-FM in the mornings, with an occasional dose of Vega.

Mgaleano, I take it you barely listen to C91.3 anymore since it began to "sound like i98FM", am I right?

Yes when they first came on air they were the best station in Sydney. Now there is VEGA which plays some modern music and old and to some extent MMM/MIX. C91.3 is not my station anymore. i98 fm has been highly successful I was actually surprised they did the biggest variety of rock and pop format at the beginning (didn't complain however) . I thought they would have just used i98's format at the beginning. One good thing is C91.3 is still a local station unlike The edge.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

A blast from the past.

This is from SMH, dated 16th July 2002, almost a year after C91.3 started.

Local hero

July 16 2002

It's less than a year old and ignored in the official ratings, but Campbelltown station C91.3 has plenty of fans. Sue Javes reports.

Alan Jones may rule the airwaves in the Sydney metropolitan area, but in Campbelltown and surrounding areas, localism is tops.

A snapshot of listeners' habits in Sydney's south-west reveals the most popular radio stations among local residents are heritage station WS FM, with a 13.1 per cent audience share, and Campbelltown's new FM station C91.3 with 12.3 per cent. Triple M is third, well ahead of 2Day. 2UE is more popular than 2GB, while Nova and 702 ABC are well down the pack.

C91.3 attracts the lion's share of the market, with 51,400 listeners. It won the lucrative 25-39 demographic, with one in five people in that age group tuning in.

WS FM has fewer listeners than C91.3, but its slightly older audience tunes in for longer, making it the most-listened-to station overall. WS FM's breakfast team of Hans Torv and Kayley Harris narrowly beat C91.3's Rob Duckworth to win that slot. Jones (2GB) was third, ahead of The Morning Crew (2Day) and Steve Price (2UE).

C91.3, owned by the WIN Corporation, is not included in the metropolitan radio survey because it is only heard in the south-west region. Its management commissioned ACNielsen to conduct an independent survey so it had some hard audience data to show advertisers. The survey was carried out over a two-week period in June.

"This is a great result for us after only 10 months on air, but we think we can go considerably higher," program director Phil Giblin says. "There are still a lot of people who don't know we're here."

Giblin says the results show localism does pay off if it is part of a professional package. "It's a very competitive market and our philosophy from the start was to match our rivals in terms of presentation and professionalism, but also add a layer of localism with a strong local news service."

The results suggest people in the south-west are not big fans of the ABC compared with listeners in other parts of Sydney. They favour rock music to classical, alternative or dance music, and prefer programming that caters for their local area.

For the record, most of Alan Jones's listeners come from Sydney's northern suburbs.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/15/1026185159930.html

• 2 months later...

I found some old issues of lifestyle magazine called "In Macarthur", which has story per issue, revolving around C91.3.

Here's an extract from the Spring 2003 edition of "In Macarthur", focusing on Program Director, Phil Giblin, regarding what mgaleano suspected for a long time: that C91.3 is not strong/weak in parts of its licence area, especially in around Ingleburn.

One of the most impacting issues on the continued growth of the station is one he has lobbied for from day one - a stronger signal. There are far too many residents who simply cannot receive the current signal.

"Our own signal field-strength tests have confirmed our suspicions that our current transmission set-up is insufficient to provide all listeners in Macarthur with a robust, quality signal when compared to other stations." said Phil recently.

The first solution would be to increase the height of the transmitter from the current 25 metres to the allowed 60 metres, or at least improve the height as much as possible.

To do so requires building a new tower which in turn requires the consent of Wollondilly Council, among others. An alternative might be to relocate the transmitter to one of the existing, taller towers on Razorback. However they are already full.

Another solution would be to increase the power. "Unfortunately, until we can demonstrate that even at 60 metres there is still a problem, we are unlikely to obtain the necessary permission from the ABA." said Phil.

C91.3 is serious about having this problem resolved and this end they have commissioned a formal and independent field-strength survey which will be conducted in October (2003). Hopefully then, all Macarthur residents will have access to our radio station.

I'm not sure if that was resolved since.

And here's another one, from the Autumn 2004 edition of "In Macarthur". On an article of Saturday morning announcer, David Everett, who also writes for "In Macarthur" (& this following article), here's an extract of the article about the music played on C91.3, at the time of the writing of the article.

The music challenge for C91.3 is a very difficult one. While all other Sydney stations chase a specific demographic, C91.3 has to attempt to be everything to everybody. I am pretty sure it is not possible. 'The biggest variety of rock and pop' tag is born from that challenge. But I know for instance, that we don't have many listeners in the over 60 age demographic. Other than that fairly obvious struggle, the station does extraordinarily well in every other age demographic. Done well, programming a radio station is one of the most dynamic jobs imaginable. If I had more time it is an aspect of the station I would love to pursue.

Since these articles, C91.3 had gone with different music positioners. After having "The Biggest Variety of Rock & Pop" for almost 3 years, from 2001 to 2004, C91.3 changed their positioner to "The Best Music in Macarthur" in mid-2004. In January 2006, C91.3 changed their positioner to "Macarthur First", with a supplementary slogan "Rock, Pop & the Best of the Rest".

As I have stated before, C91.3 was good in the early years (2001-04). Now, it's not as good, but is still worth listening for its news on the hour, with their local news focusing on the Macarthur region, something that other Sydney stations barely do, for obvious reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
I found some old issues of lifestyle magazine called "In Macarthur", which has story per issue, revolving around C91.3.

Here's an extract from the Spring 2003 edition of "In Macarthur", focusing on Program Director, Phil Giblin, regarding what mgaleano suspected for a long time: that C91.3 is not strong/weak in parts of its licence area, especially in around Ingleburn.

I'm not sure if that was resolved since.

And here's another one, from the Autumn 2004 edition of "In Macarthur". On an article of Saturday morning announcer, David Everett, who also writes for "In Macarthur" (& this following article), here's an extract of the article about the music played on C91.3, at the time of the writing of the article.

Since these articles, C91.3 had gone with different music positioners. After having "The Biggest Variety of Rock & Pop" for almost 3 years, from 2001 to 2004, C91.3 changed their positioner to "The Best Music in Macarthur" in mid-2004. In January 2006, C91.3 changed their positioner to "Macarthur First", with a supplementary slogan "Rock, Pop & the Best of the Rest".

As I have stated before, C91.3 was good in the early years (2001-04). Now, it's not as good, but is still worth listening for its news on the hour, with their local news focusing on the Macarthur region, something that other Sydney stations barely do, for obvious reasons.

I miss Stuart Cranney's classic nine at nine. I think he could of done a great classic nine at nine on Joey Johns! He did have a good sense of humour with his music.

I miss Stuart Cranney's classic nine at nine. I think he could of done a great classic nine at nine on Joey Johns! He did have a good sense of humour with his music.

Yeah, I missed the "Classic 9 @ 9" on C91.3. :blink:

WS-FM now does their "9 @ 9", which is sometimes marketed as the "Classic 9 @ 9", but it's not as good as Stuart Cranney's version once was.

2GO's "Mystery 9 @ 9" is very good.

Overall, since the "Classic 9 @ 9" was dropped, C91.3 has gone downhill in terms of their music format. The only thing worth listening to on C91.3 is their news on the hour.

Yeah, I missed the "Classic 9 @ 9" on C91.3. :blink:

WS-FM now does their "9 @ 9", which is sometimes marketed as the "Classic 9 @ 9", but it's not as good as Stuart Cranney's version once was.

2GO's "Mystery 9 @ 9" is very good.

Overall, since the "Classic 9 @ 9" was dropped, C91.3 has gone downhill in terms of their music format. The only thing worth listening to on C91.3 is their news on the hour.

Have you listen to c91.3 of late? From the website they have gone back to the pop and rock and the rest format... I have not had a chance to listen of late.

Have you listen to c91.3 of late? From the website they have gone back to the pop and rock and the rest format... I have not had a chance to listen of late.

C91.3's current "Rock, Pop & The Best of the Rest" is nothing special compared to the 2001-04 "The Best Variety of Rock & Pop" format. By that, I mean less older stuff than the old '01-'04 format.

Mgaleano, if you have a chance of listening to C91.3, can you give me an opinion on the current music format?

The Stolzy drive show has a bit too much talk for my liking, whenever I tune in to C91.3 on my walkman, as I go home on the train on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons from TAFE in the city. I'd rather listen to more music stations like Vega, WS-FM, Triple M, MIX, and sometimes 2DAY & Nova at that time of the afternoon. My father doesn't really like Stolzy's drive & Coasty's night-time programs. He likes listening to Stuart Cranney of a morning, whenever he's still in the Macarthur region. He doesn't listen to Rob Doorey's breakfast program, as he prefers to listen to WS-FM's Jonesy & Amanda Keller.

Unlike in Wollongong, Campbelltown at least is not only served by C91.3 as the only commercial radio station covering the area, but also the Sydney stations covers Campbelltown & the Macarthur region in its licence area.

The Wollondilly area (Picton, Appin, Bargo, The Oaks etc), along with C91.3, is only served by Western Sydney commercial radio licence area (WS-FM, which is really a Sydney station these days).

I forgot to mention that this Tuesday, C91.3 has turned 5 years old! Happy 5th birthday, C91.3! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Wikipedia article on C91.3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C91.3

That last one-line paragraph on the article was quite true for the station from my experience on listening to them, especially as a local, living in C91.3's licence area:

Originally, the station played classic rock hits, but then shifted to CHR in 2004.

CHR = Contemporary Hit Radio - a radio format that focuses on playing current and recent popular music as determined by the Top 40.

Yes, C91.3 is mostly CHR, but also throws in some 80s & 90s rock-oriented tracks as well, and sometimes a 70s rock track.

I notice that C913 is starting to sound like I98 FM.

I just listened to C91.3 for a bit & it seems that they're now taking "Nothing but 90s" program, networked from i98FM (fellow WIN-owned station), on Saturday nights from 6pm (i98FM airs it on Sunday afternoons from 5pm).

I can get it on my mother's mobile phone that has an FM tuner, on the balcony of my brother's apartment, in Pyrmont, but could not get it well on my brother's home stereo (I could get 2GO, Wave FM & i98FM better than C91.3).

On Sunday nights, C91.3 also does the Aussie music show, which is the station's own production, as i98FM does not do the program.

• 1 month later...

A bit of "where are they now" for former C91.3 personalities, with many dropped from the station in late 2005, when the "new" C91.3 was brought up in January 2006, making the sound of the station younger, in both music & personalities (with the exception of Stuart Cranney).

Mal Lees (breakfast presenter 2003-05) - doing casual on WS-FM, currently filling in for Ron E Sparks on the 9am-2pm slot

Mardi Cole (breakfast presenter 2003-05) - doing casual on 2CH, currently filling in for Steve Murphy on the afternoon slot

David Archer (afternoon presenter 2004-05) - doing drive on Penrith's narrowcast station Kick FM

Rob Duckworth (breakfast presenter 2001-02) - doing afternoons on Triple M Sydney

Byron Webb (afternoon presenter 2001-04) - doing casuals on WS-FM/MIX 106.5, currently not doing any filling in

• 5 months later...

From "New Media Laws" thread:

C91.3 does a great job though I don't listen much any more. No more classic nine at nine sniff sniff.

I'm with you on this, re no more "Classic 9 @ 9". :blink:

Apart from that, C91.3 is quite okay to listen to from time to time, but maybe that's because I live in their licence area. :D

Interestingly, WIN Corp's Wollongong station, i98FM, are now doing "Ten from Then" at 9am weekdays, which mostly focused on 10 songs from one particular year of the 90s & 2000s, but sometimes they'll highlight 10 songs from a particular year of the late 80s as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Re Stuart Cranney, he's still doing his old shift, but is now starting at 10am.

I haven't mentioned this before, but since earlier this year, Rob Doorey's breakfast program now finishes at 9am & therefore, Stuart Cranney starts at 9am, like it was before Rob Doorey started doing breakfast.

Unfortunately, Cranney's recent 're-shift' of his starting time from 10am to 9am hasn't included the return of the "Classic 9 @ 9". That trademark is now under WS-FM's hands, even though it's not theme-based. Maybe they should do "Ten from Then", like what i98FM in Wollongong does?

I think of some of the memories of when C91.3 had the "Classic 9 @ 9". Not only did they had it at 9am weekdays, but they replayed the same day's "Classic 9 @ 9" at 9pm weeknights, which they stopped doing from around mid-2004. They also had a weekly highlight program of all five Classic 9 @ 9's from 6pm Sundays.

I'm thinking that C91.3 needs to have a music format similar to River 94.9 in Ipswich, which its positioner is "The Biggest Variety of hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s & Whatever", and has the "Ten from Then" at 12pm weekdays, as well as the 6am-6pm No Repeat Workday. At least it'll sound a bit different from any of the major Sydney commercial FM stations, and would have a better music variety than, say, Vega, MMM, Wave FM & 2GO.

As far as the maximum ERP is concerned, C91.3 is 1kW, while River 94.9 is 50kW (with power restrictions towards Brisbane).

You can have a listen to River 94.9 online to get an idea on how C91.3 should sound like. Go to www.river949.com & click on the "Listen Now" button.

My opinion on the current music format of C91.3 is that it's alright, but can be a bit more 'out-there' in contrast to the major Sydney commercial FM stations. In most times, the earliest decade they play from is generally the 80s, but when Stuart Cranney is on, you would hear songs from the 70s (and occasionally the 60s) being played.

• 5 weeks later...

Over a number of threads, including this one, myself, billybob_chider & mgaleano reckon that C91.3 is now sounding very much like i98FM these days. So I've decided to compare the two stations, in terms of what songs they're playing over the course of the 1-2pm hour on 25/5/2007.

Here it is:

Friday, 25th May, 2007 - 1-2pm

C91.3 - Campbelltown

Local Commercial Competition (excluding Sydney stations): None

"Into The Dark" Ben Lee

"Slide" Goo Goo Dolls

"The Sweet Escape" Gwen Stefani

"Spirit In The Sky" Norman Greenbaum (1970 original)

"Long Day" Matchbox 20

"7 Seconds" Neneh Cherry feat. Youssou N'Dour

A song by Dean Geyer (finished 3rd in last year's Australian Idol)

"Listen Like Theives" INXS

"Selling The Drama" Live

"Beautiful Liar" Beyonce feat. Shakira

Decade breakdown

70s - 1

80s - 1

90s - 4

00s - 4

i98FM - Wollongong

Local Commercial Competition (excluding Sydney & Nowra stations): Wave FM

"Talk" Coldplay

"Suddenly I See" KT Tunstall

"Too Fast For Me" Cruel Sea

"Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" Jet

"Predictable" Delta Goodrem

"This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" Fallout Boy

"Golden Years" David Bowie (an original 1976 hit, not a remix)

"Red Dress" Sugababes

"All Good Things (Come To An End)" Nelly Furtado

"Adam's Song" Blink 182

"Waiting On A World To Change" John Mayer

Decade Breakdown

70s - 1

80s - 0

90s - 1

00s - 8

So, after looking at both of their playlists taken during that same hour, do you now actually think that C91.3 does really sound like i98FM?

It's also worth noting that since this week, C91.3 now has the same news theme/voiceover as i98FM, which was introduced on the latter station earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's further proof that C91.3 is now really classified as a CHR station, much in the same category as i98FM.

Overnight at around midnight, whilst dial-twiddling, I come across a techno music program that was aired on C91.3, and it announces "Revolution" and also its web address (http://www.clubrevolution.com.au/, where you can go to the 'show station guide' & gives out a list of stations of where the program can be heard). The program is also heard on i98FM, although not at the same time, or in the same part of the program. Apart from i98FM, Power FM Nowra & C91.3, the program is also heard on MRR's CHR stations, such as Sea FM, Star FM & Hot FM.

It is no surprise that some, if not many, businesses & buses in the Campbelltown area prefer to tune to the Sydney stations rather than C91.3, especially to listen to a radio station for a kind of music of which C91.3 doesn't really cover, such as WS-FM & MIX 106.5. Even one bus tuned to 2GO from the Central Coast one time in April last year.