Sign in to follow this  
PTV

Newbie Questions Regarding the Hitachi 55PD8800TA!

Aztec

Sorry for the delay in this reply....here are my settings :

Contrast +5

Brightness -2

Colour -10

Sharpness +2

Tint 0

These settings I found are what works best for my set up. I have spoken to a couple of retailers and also called Hitachi and was informed that it's what ever works best for your set up. The run in period is more for plasma burn in (at least that was what I was told )...ie if your screen is too bright it might achieve burn in a bit easier.

Hope this helps others as all the write ups on this site helped me. Thanks.

Thanks. I believe I have noticed that the image on mine appears to have gotten better. The TV has probably done about 80-100 hours by now.

Thanks. I believe I have noticed that the image on mine appears to have gotten better. The TV has probably done about 80-100 hours by now.

I was also told to have the screen saver at 5 mins instead of 10min or 20 min etc.

Zok

Don't know if those settings are such a problem without knowing how old your plasma is (ie have you used it more than 200-300 hours). Personally I think there are too many variables (room size, ambient light, etc) that impact on recommended settings. However,

My settings are:

Contrast -10

Brightness 0

Colour - 10

Colour Temp Normal

Reasons are:

a/ I have only used mine for probably 20-30 hours and this is similar to what is recommended for the "run-in" period.

b/ The picture looks good in my room.

My brother-in-law has the DVE (Digital Video Essentials - I think) disc used for calibrating projectors & plasma's which I will borrow from him once I have clocked up 200-400 hours.

Ash

Hey Ash ... so you must have clocked up 200hrs by now ? Any calibration done ?

And to others with this awesome set ... anyone else got any settings they want to share.

I keep tinkering around with the settings as I'm always looking for that little 'extra' out of it

Cheers, Big W

Hey Ash ... so you must have clocked up 200hrs by now ? Any calibration done ?

And to others with this awesome set ... anyone else got any settings they want to share.

I keep tinkering around with the settings as I'm always looking for that little 'extra' out of it

Cheers, Big W

I too am always fiddling :blink:

After more than 100 hours (of use, not fiddling) I have ended up with settings almost the same as Zok

contrast +5

brightness -1

colour -14

black enhancement "low"

everything else default.

Cheers,

Adam.

I too am always fiddling :blink:

After more than 100 hours (of use, not fiddling) I have ended up with settings almost the same as Zok

contrast +5

brightness -1

colour -14

black enhancement "low"

everything else default.

Cheers,

Adam.

I've settled on:

contrast +7

brightness -2

colour -10

black enhancement "low"

everything else default.

Well for this week anyway ... may be I just like to fiddle :ph34r:

I've settled on:

contrast +7

brightness -2

colour -10

black enhancement "low"

everything else default.

Well for this week anyway ... may be I just like to fiddle :ph34r:

We all seem to have a consensus (almost).

BTW, for those that are interested, I finally got a DVI-I to HDMI cable for my Teac HD STB, there is a significant improvement over component. More detail, more consistent colouring, little or stepping in colours. The improvement is more noticeable on SD broadcasts.

BTW, for those that are interested, I finally got a DVI-I to HDMI cable for my Teac HD STB, there is a significant improvement over component. More detail, more consistent colouring, little or stepping in colours. The improvement is more noticeable on SD broadcasts.

Yes I found the same when I went from component to DVI-I to HDMI with my LG 4100 HD STB.

I have also tried a Samsung upscaling DVD player via component against my Sony 576p player. The Sony came up the winner - I blind tested 7 people at a dinner party ... who then later became 'blind'; but that was the Wild Turkey I believe.

How are you doing with WHITE ? ... I still can't get white to look 100% white. At times it can be a touch pink.

Yes I found the same when I went from component to DVI-I to HDMI with my LG 4100 HD STB.

I have also tried a Samsung upscaling DVD player via component against my Sony 576p player. The Sony came up the winner - I blind tested 7 people at a dinner party ... who then later became 'blind'; but that was the Wild Turkey I believe.

How are you doing with WHITE ? ... I still can't get white to look 100% white. At times it can be a touch pink.

I think mine is okay, there is one setting that I've realised I haven't been quoting, that is "Colour Temp", I've changed mine to cool. I find that Normal seems to add a tinge to it, perhaps that is why your whites look pink.

My wife bought me the Marantz DVD6600 for my birthday which I hooked up yesterday. Prior to this I had a el-cheapo $80 Tevion. The difference in picture quality was again significant, though not as dramatic as I was expecting. The difference in sound quality, however, was, as to be expected, dramatic.

I think mine is okay, there is one setting that I've realised I haven't been quoting, that is "Colour Temp", I've changed mine to cool. I find that Normal seems to add a tinge to it, perhaps that is why your whites look pink.

My wife bought me the Marantz DVD6600 for my birthday which I hooked up yesterday. Prior to this I had a el-cheapo $80 Tevion. The difference in picture quality was again significant, though not as dramatic as I was expecting. The difference in sound quality, however, was, as to be expected, dramatic.

Well done with the new DVD player. I'm presuming the better players have better picture DACs in them.

Awesome ... 'cool' did the trick with the whites. It has also taken away a slight 'pink-ish' colour sometimes on skin-tones.

After going to cool I'll continue to play with the other adjustments. I'm also experimenting with colours e.g decreasing yellow with different levels of black enhancement.

... it's becoming an (obsessive) hobby.

Well done with the new DVD player. I'm presuming the better players have better picture DACs in them.

Awesome ... 'cool' did the trick with the whites. It has also taken away a slight 'pink-ish' colour sometimes on skin-tones.

After going to cool I'll continue to play with the other adjustments. I'm also experimenting with colours e.g decreasing yellow with different levels of black enhancement.

... it's becoming an (obsessive) hobby.

The problem with this set is there are so many things to adjust, I started playing with the colour adjustments too but gave up and did a reset back to defaults.

It is hard to resist, I think I'll get my wife to hide the remote.

I've just re-read the "release notes" for the firmware upgrade, it mentions that when an SD program is selected and you are using auto-out combined with DVI that it upscales to 576p, maybe this is why I noticed more improvement in SD then HD.

Hi Guys,

I've finally tracked down floor display of this unit & going to check it out this weekend, looking to purchase my first flat screen before xmas & have been impressed by all your positive comments about this unit. Just wondering though if anyone knows if a new model is coming to Oz in near future, seems this one has been around for a while. North American website shows new 55HDX99 model. Not sure whether to get HD-STB or HD-PVR, only have FTA & not interested in austar/fox at this point in time, any suggestions appreciated.

RoyRogers

Hi Guys,

I've finally tracked down floor display of this unit & going to check it out this weekend, looking to purchase my first flat screen before xmas & have been impressed by all your positive comments about this unit. Just wondering though if anyone knows if a new model is coming to Oz in near future, seems this one has been around for a while. North American website shows new 55HDX99 model. Not sure whether to get HD-STB or HD-PVR, only have FTA & not interested in austar/fox at this point in time, any suggestions appreciated.

RoyRogers

Not sure about new models, but I can say that I have been very happy with this purchase. I was concerned spending this much $$$ on a idiot box that it could have been a lemon. It's been a pleasure to own. We've had a lot of enjoyment from it with no regrets (except for the credit card bill). If the size is Ok with you, give it some consideration.

Not sure about new models, but I can say that I have been very happy with this purchase. I was concerned spending this much $$$ on a idiot box that it could have been a lemon. It's been a pleasure to own. We've had a lot of enjoyment from it with no regrets (except for the credit card bill). If the size is Ok with you, give it some consideration.

Thanks Big W,

Finally saw this beauty at 2 stores on the Gold Coast yesterday. Took the family & are all in agreement this is the one to get. Size is no problem as we fortunately have the choice between 2 big rooms in which to view, the bigger the better (we are currently watching our old 51cm crt from almost 5mts - need binoculars). Although we will most probably set up the plasma in downstairs room & view from aprox 3mts. JB had it set up next to the new pio507 which gave a great perspective of the size difference 50"v 55" & also the PQ. They were running the local CH10 HD loop & I was split 50/50 between the 2 panels, some scenes better on the Hitachi & vice versa. The clincher though came from the first store we had visited, asked the sales guy to put on a DVD (He found The Gladiator) & crank up the sound. "Awesome" just from the built-in speakers. I share your concerns spending this many $$$ on an "idiot box" but money v's years of enjoyment on 55 inches of plasma, the plasma is the winner this time. Now off to local store to order. Thanks for the input.

HO HO HO this is certainly going to be a merry christmas

BTW - if anyone interested we were qouted $6k by JB for the following (cash & purchase "today"),

Hitachi 55PD8800TA incl. 5 year ext warranty

Topfield TF7000HT HD-STB

Roy

Roy, Congrats ... excellent selection.

When you get it and it's up & running, have a look thru this thread & you'll see various picture settings to try. In the stores and the settings out-of-the-box, it would appear Hitachi have it configured for a 'dynamic' i.e bright picture. It made a significant improvement over an excellent picture already when I started to crank some of the settings down. But live with it for a week or so until the excitement settles & you can begin to analyse the picture and determine what fits your tastes & environmental surroundings.

Something that did concern me when installing the motorized stand on the base of the TV … The instructions say to lay the TV on it’s glass front. When I stopped to understand the instructions & pictures provided of how to do it, it’s safe & Ok. Just don’t throw away any packaging until you have installed the motorized base, which is heavy – you’ll need 2 adults for the job. You will actually use the rigid foam packaging of the base of the TV to lay the TV on … it’s all designed very well. So just take a moment and review the instructions carefully.

So far I haven't been able to fault the box.

Good luck & congrats again.

PS looks like an excellent price as well!!

BTW - if anyone interested we were qouted $6k by JB for the following (cash & purchase "today"),

Hitachi 55PD8800TA incl. 5 year ext warranty

Topfield TF7000HT HD-STB

Roy

good priced.

I picked mine up from Bing Lee about a month ago for $5100 then another $500 for 5 yr warranty and delivery.

After a few issues at the beginning I am very happy. Huge with tonnes of inputs.

I have since grabbed a dtr7300 STB( compared it against an LG6100) and Oppo 971 dvd player. Just need to sort out my receiver so I can use the upscaling of this dvd player. PS2 looks great via component

cheers

James

I've had my 55PD8800TA for a couple of months now and so far so good.

A question I'd like to put to the technically-literate among the readership concerns the HD display capabilites of the 55PD8800TA.

It hasn't escaped my notice that in the world of HD, much is currently being said about 1080p. As the 55PD8800TA manual quotes 1080i will Hitachi issue a firmware revision to enable the 55PD8800TA to display 1080p? Or does my utter lack of understanding of how Plasma displays work immediately make such a question a particularly stupid one?

Any info greatly appreciated.

cheers all.

I've had my 55PD8800TA for a couple of months now and so far so good.

A question I'd like to put to the technically-literate among the readership concerns the HD display capabilites of the 55PD8800TA.

It hasn't escaped my notice that in the world of HD, much is currently being said about 1080p. As the 55PD8800TA manual quotes 1080i will Hitachi issue a firmware revision to enable the 55PD8800TA to display 1080p? Or does my utter lack of understanding of how Plasma displays work immediately make such a question a particularly stupid one?

Any info greatly appreciated.

cheers all.

I am happy to be corrected by my understanding is that it is a hardware upgrade to allow 1080p not firmware hence you will be stuck with 1080i. However I suspect all 1080p players will have a 1080i output option.

Philip

I am happy to be corrected by my understanding is that it is a hardware upgrade to allow 1080p not firmware hence you will be stuck with 1080i. However I suspect all 1080p players will have a 1080i output option.

Philip

I feared as much.

The perils of being a consumer.

Philip

As someone who this week is just about to spend aprox $6k on one of these panels is this a concern. Forgive my lack of understanding on this issue as this is my first plasma purchase & I want to get full value for my money. I'm fully aware technology changes at a rapid rate these days but this panel purchase due to the cost has to "last" for sometime. As for a hardware upgrade from Hitachi this does not appear to be part of their plan for the near future (as posted by myself last week in other hitachi 55" thread). I had decided on this panel due to the glowing reviews from owners in this thread along with the extra 5" of screen over the 50" panels, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roy

As someone who this week is just about to spend aprox $6k on one of these panels is this a concern. Forgive my lack of understanding on this issue as this is my first plasma purchase & I want to get full value for my money. I'm fully aware technology changes at a rapid rate these days but this panel purchase due to the cost has to "last" for sometime. As for a hardware upgrade from Hitachi this does not appear to be part of their plan for the near future (as posted by myself last week in this thread). I had decided on this panel due to the glowing reviews from owners in this thread along with the extra 5" of screen over the 50" panels, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roy

Are you sure you will notice any difference between 1080i and 1080p ??

Remember this panel isn't a 1080 panel anyway so scaling will occur and the deinterlacing is pretty good....so would you not buy a great panel just because of a unlikely benefit of 1080p input?

Philip

Are you sure you will notice any difference between 1080i and 1080p ??

Remember this panel isn't a 1080 panel anyway so scaling will occur and the deinterlacing is pretty good....so would you not buy a great panel just because of a unlikely benefit of 1080p input?

Philip

No & No are the answers. Ordering one tomorrow.

Roy

good priced.

I picked mine up from Bing Lee about a month ago for $5100 then another $500 for 5 yr warranty and delivery.

After a few issues at the beginning I am very happy. Huge with tonnes of inputs.

I have since grabbed a dtr7300 STB( compared it against an LG6100) and Oppo 971 dvd player. Just need to sort out my receiver so I can use the upscaling of this dvd player. PS2 looks great via component

cheers

James

Any feedback on how the Oppo performs with the 55" Hitachi?

Cheers,

BAC