Newbie Questions Regarding the Hitachi 55PD8800TA!

Guest PTV

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No warranty - but the $4.5k is only the sticker price and I'm sure something could be negotiated.

I paid $5400 + $300 for ext 5yr warranty (On HN 18 mths int free ) back in early December 06. At the time was the best price I could negotiate. :blink: Thats a huge drop in such a small period of time.

Could someone please tell me how to access the hours used menu - thanks.

Roy

I paid $5400 + $300 for ext 5yr warranty (On HN 18 mths int free ) back in early December 06. At the time was the best price I could negotiate. :blink: Thats a huge drop in such a small period of time.

Roy

Do a search in this forum for "Fluctuating Brightness", there are steps on how to get into service mode and the number to look for which shows hours use.

Roy

Dont worry I paid $6100 & $900 for extended warranty. I feel your pain! :D

• 1 month later...

guys, been looking into the Hitachi 50PD960DTA but went to HN last night and stumbled across the 55PD8800.

What a monster of a screen, looked really nice. They were playing Van Helsing on a Pana TH50PX600A so i got them to play it on the Hitachi, looked just as good! i have only just started to look into buying a plasma so i'm still learning about what to look for but it seemed nice to me, this being in the shitty store lighting and all.

Best thing about it was the price: $3999 then $500 cash back from Hitachi. This was without any negotiation at all, the sticker stated they only had 3 left and the rep said they will not be getting the 50PD960DTA until they get rid of these, so i figure i can squeeze him pretty hard to knock at least another 3- 400 dollars off.

I would locve to hear your opinions on whether to go for this or not.

The only thing i am worried about is it may be too big, we sit ~3m from our current TV (Sony 108cm Rear Pro).

guys, been looking into the Hitachi 50PD960DTA but went to HN last night and stumbled across the 55PD8800.

What a monster of a screen, looked really nice. They were playing Van Helsing on a Pana TH50PX600A so i got them to play it on the Hitachi, looked just as good! i have only just started to look into buying a plasma so i'm still learning about what to look for but it seemed nice to me, this being in the shitty store lighting and all.

Best thing about it was the price: $3999 then $500 cash back from Hitachi. This was without any negotiation at all, the sticker stated they only had 3 left and the rep said they will not be getting the 50PD960DTA until they get rid of these, so i figure i can squeeze him pretty hard to knock at least another 3- 400 dollars off.

The only thing i am worried about is it may be too big, we sit ~3m from our current TV (Sony 108cm Rear Pro).

3m should be OK for the plasma, but you wouldn't want to be any closer...

If you can get it for close to $3K net, it would be a fantastic deal for a set that was over $6K a year ago.

Cheers,

BAC

well 3K might be pushing it a bit, but then i guess if i get him to 3.5 with the cash back it works out to that!! :blink:

the main reason that i was going for the 50PD960DTA was the slight increase in resolution (1280 x 1080).

and also it seems that this is an outgoing model, anything i should be wary of to push me towards buying the newer one?

Hey sanitarium,which HN has these Hitachi 55PD8800 as I am also looking at this model. Cheapest I've been able to find are Domayne or JB for $3999 after Hitachi cashback

PS Currently sitting 3m from Lg 180cm rear pro and while HD FTA is ok to watch foxtel is not hence the downsizing to the Hitachi. Will gain about half a metre in viewing distance with wall mounting.

Hey sanitarium,which HN has these Hitachi 55PD8800 as I am also looking at this model. Cheapest I've been able to find are Domayne or JB for $3999 after Hitachi cashback

PS Currently sitting 3m from Lg 180cm rear pro and while HD FTA is ok to watch foxtel is not hence the downsizing to the Hitachi. Will gain about half a metre in viewing distance with wall mounting.

i am in wait awhile, the store in question is the Morley branch: (08) 9375 0200.

as stated in my previous post i think this may be specific to this store as the rep said they only had 3 left, which leads me to believe that they want to get rid of them so that they can start stocking the 50".

I will confirm this tomorrow as i plan to have a fun day testing panels from as many different retailers as i can!! :blink:

Do a search for Hitachi 55", plenty of info, you will see that those of us that own em luv em. Remember though that they only have inbuilt analogue tuners so you will be needing an HD STB or PVR. I agree with bac that 3m viewing should be ok, we sit aprox 3.5m away & have had no trouble adjusting from a 20" screen to the 55".

Roy

now i have a real dilemma, as i just came across this review and it looks very favourable!! :blink:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/...id;2159;pt;1#cb

has anyone found these guys to be good with their reviews?

about the only thing that steers me away from this in favour of panels like the Panasonic TH500PX600A or the Hitachi 50PD960DTA is the fact that this panel is quite old now correct? is this anything to be concerned about?

• 2 weeks later...
What is the best price people are getting for these lately?

The best sticker price I have seen is 3999 ( and that is after the $500 rebate ).

are you sure thats the case.

the rebate actually comes direct from Hitachi and has nothing to do with the store it is being sold at. it's not like the store gets the rebate and passes it on to the customer via a cheaper sticker price.

i'd go into a store and query that price, as i think you'll find that the price in total will be: you pay store $3999 then you send off to Hitachi for the $500 rebate which means the set will actually cost you $3499.

i'm fairly confident (90%) this was what the rep told me, i'd get confirmation.

are you sure thats the case.

the rebate actually comes direct from Hitachi and has nothing to do with the store it is being sold at. it's not like the store gets the rebate and passes it on to the customer via a cheaper sticker price.

i'd go into a store and query that price, as i think you'll find that the price in total will be: you pay store $3999 then you send off to Hitachi for the $500 rebate which means the set will actually cost you $3499.

i'm fairly confident (90%) this was what the rep told me, i'd get confirmation.

Sorry, I thought my post was clear. JB Hifi in there latest brochure advertise the price as 3999 after the 500 rebate. Meaning you pay them 4,499 get the rebate from Hitachi and affectively you have paid 3,999.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I've just bought a 55PD8800TA for $3999 after cashback....well, actually I bought it about four weeks ago now before the promotion ran out. Now here's my question: When I watch DVD's and alo 720p via component I notice these horizontal lines. At least that's the best way to describe them. Almost like scan lines. When I get really close to the TV they disappear. It's mainly in dark scenes where I see them. Is anyone else seeing these on their Panel???

TIA

Hi All,

I've just bought a 55PD8800TA for $3999 after cashback....well, actually I bought it about four weeks ago now before the promotion ran out. Now here's my question: When I watch DVD's and alo 720p via component I notice these horizontal lines. At least that's the best way to describe them. Almost like scan lines. When I get really close to the TV they disappear. It's mainly in dark scenes where I see them. Is anyone else seeing these on their Panel???

TIA

have you tried another set of component cables, or the other component input... I had a similar problem on a previous LG set... it ended up being the component o/p of the DVD player....

have you tried another set of component cables, or the other component input... I had a similar problem on a previous LG set... it ended up being the component o/p of the DVD player....

I did...I tried HDMI, component from the DVD player and component from HTPC. Maybe it's just slight de-interlacing artifacts. I might try this again from the HTPC using shorter component cables or VGA. I cannot see anything on the Xbox 360 through VGA....but I can while playing back DVD's on the 360.

Thanks

I did...I tried HDMI, component from the DVD player and component from HTPC. Maybe it's just slight de-interlacing artifacts. I might try this again from the HTPC using shorter component cables or VGA. I cannot see anything on the Xbox 360 through VGA....but I can while playing back DVD's on the 360.

Thanks

If it's coming from all sources using different connections then you may have a faulty display, or some sort of electrical interference. What kind of display did you have previously?

If it's coming from all sources using different connections then you may have a faulty display, or some sort of electrical interference. What kind of display did you have previously?

A 42" Philips Plasma. After some more viewing I'm convinced that it is de-interlacing artifacts. It seems to show in moving or noisy parts of the picture only. I just don't understand why I can see it on some HD DVD rips as well. Can't see it on the Xbox 360 (VGA cable 1360x768) or the Xbox (Component 720p) while in XBMC.

Thanks

A 42" Philips Plasma. After some more viewing I'm convinced that it is de-interlacing artifacts. It seems to show in moving or noisy parts of the picture only. I just don't understand why I can see it on some HD DVD rips as well. Can't see it on the Xbox 360 (VGA cable 1360x768) or the Xbox (Component 720p) while in XBMC.

Thanks

I'm not aware that anyone else has ever complained of this issue. As I said, I believe it is either a faulty unit or some other interference causing the problem.

I'm not aware that anyone else has ever complained of this issue. As I said, I believe it is either a faulty unit or some other interference causing the problem.

Well, I don't think it's de-interlacing. When I zoom the picture on the DVD player, the distance between the "lines" does not seem to change. I unplugged everyting from the TV except the HDMI connector (tried with component as well) but it still there. When I set the Contrast mode to dynamic it is mostyl gone but I really don't like that setting very much. I rang Hitachi and I'll get one of their service agents to come out and look at it.

Is there a listing of service menu settings floating around somewhere?

Cheers