Sign in to follow this  
PTV

Newbie Questions Regarding the Hitachi 55PD8800TA!

Hi guys,

Have decided to get a 50" plasma for the new home. Was originally looking at the Pio 50" model until I saw the new 55" from Hitachi.

From the limited info I have read so far because it's quite a new model, the main downside of it seems to be the contrast ratio, at 1000:1. That aside, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with it...

I have just a few questions about some of the features on this plasma and a few other general ones as I am new to all this, which will help not only for this plasma but should I decide to go with another, please bear with me, thanks!

1. "Built-in twin analogue tuners", I presume it's just referring to the analogue signal TV. What is the point of have two of them? Is this so that the next feature is possible?

2. "Multi-Picture (PinP, Split, PonP4, PonP12)" Take it this just means you could have up to 12 channels on display at the one time?

3. "Teletext (Fastext with 100 page memory)" What is the page memory actually for?

4. "VGA-UXGA input for PC" Does this mean I can just connect my PC to this display? What sort of connectors/cable would I need?

5. "Twin Component inputs (DVD/STB)" "Twin HDMI digital inputs" With two connectors of HDMI and component, I presume it just means it's easier if one had more devices using the same connectio?

6. From what I have read on HDMI, it's basically an umcompressed signal transmitter for HD contents?! The average DSTB have component outputs, whilst a few high-end models have HDMI outputs. What good does having twin HDMI connectors do? Are there or will there be HDMI DVD player/recorder available?

If somebody doesn't mind answering the above queries for me, I would much much appreciate it!!!

Thanks guys for reading and I look forward to your feedbacks!

Hey you've got some good questions there, I'm just offering my opinions in that they may be of help.

!. Why would you want twin analogue tuners - don't know seems strange to me, most analogue does not look so good on a digital display.

2. Multi-picture should work with digital signals otherwise it's a bit of a con. I can see that people may not have two stb's - hence the use of 1 analogue tuner.

3. To store the pages? (sorry)

4. Yes. Depends on the connections on the plasma and on the graphics card of your pc. More recent graphic cards have a dvi out. If no dvi connection on the plasma you could use a dvi to hdmi cable should you have a spare hdmi port. Otherwise you would be using d-sub connections.

5. Yes, plenty of options there.

6. Yes, there are dvd players with hdmi out. If you are spending all that money on a digital display, why hook up a cheap dvd player and expect the best from it. $450- to $500- will get you something very worthwhile (what the run of the mill dvd player used to cost) and will be well worth the money when seen on your proposed new plasma. There are hdstb's becoming available with hdmi out. Not to sure that you would get the same leap in PQ that you would with the dvd.

hth

1. Two analogue tuners allows you to have the multi-picture modes spoken about in your second question.

2. Unsure

3. Why would you bother with teletext anyway? Waste of time . . .

4. Yes, providing your PC has a VGA output and you have a VGA cable.

5. I would consider it substandard spending big$$ on such a tv and getting only 1 set of component connections. You will thank Hitachi in 5 years when everything uses HDMi and you can't get enough inputs.

6. See above

I manage a Retravision up in Broome, and i got one of the 55"s on wednesday just gone. It is magnificent in every sense. Had it hooked up to te Pana S97 via HDMI obviously and it outputs at 1080i beautifully. ATM it is running through a Yamaha DVD via component and the picture is still magic.

I have a Pio 506 and the image on this thing (55PD8800TA) is brilliant compared to it. Find out what the best price is you can get for it and i will see if i can better it for you!

was looking at this set early today, can get this for around the same price as the panasonic 50".

6700 less before haggling.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

mootface, thanks for the offer, but I am in Brisbane unfortunately...

The best price I've had so far, without haggling, was $7200, that's matching standar Pioneer service, installation, delivery and 5yr warranty. One of the sales at a certain store said to me, when I do want to make the purchase, ask around then go to him, he'll beat it by at least $300... :blink:

My dad's a bit unsure about the whole paying for extra 4 years warranty, but I kinda talked him into putting that into consideration. I mean, we already went from 42" to 55", I'd like it to last as long as possible.

A HDMI STB is definately the way to go then? I suppose two would be plenty in the next few years - others seem to have only one...which HDMI STB do you guys think I should get?

Thanks a lot for the comments!!!

Where are you? ... how are you getting these cheap prices.

The best I got was $6700 and $7450 with extended warranty ... and that's with haggling.

The ticketed price is $7458 after all.... and the extended warranty price is $899 - this was at JB Hifi

Far out it is getting desperate when retailers are having to drop their prices around 6500 in order to make a sale. ~6500 is extremely close to cost, so if you are able to secure it for this amount, you are absolutely laughing!

Why bother with the extended warranty? Hitachi are really good with their warranties, and i don't know about you but i don't keep my personal displays for longer than 6 months at a time. Obviously not everyone is like me...

If you can get it for around the same price as the 50 pana, get it. You most certainly will not regret it

Where are you? ... how are you getting these cheap prices.

The best I got was $6700 and $7450 with extended warranty ... and that's with haggling.

The ticketed price is $7458 after all.... and the extended warranty price is $899 - this was at JB Hifi

The price was from HN. We just asked one of the sales to give us a price matching Pioneer service and that was what we got. Also went to JB, the guy we got gave us the impression that he didn't want business so we just left...after all, the money's in my pocket, no need to put up with bad service.

Far out it is getting desperate when retailers are having to drop their prices around 6500 in order to make a sale. ~6500 is extremely close to cost, so if you are able to secure it for this amount, you are absolutely laughing!

Why bother with the extended warranty? Hitachi are really good with their warranties, and i don't know about you but i don't keep my personal displays for longer than 6 months at a time. Obviously not everyone is like me...

If you can get it for around the same price as the 50 pana, get it. You most certainly will not regret it

I am sure even at $6500 they are still making quite a bit :blink:

I wish I had the luxury of keeping displays for no longer than 6 months at a time, but that seems to be a bit out of the reach at the moment...so an extended warranty is needed I suppose. I was told from HN that with Hitachi's warranty, if they can't repair the display, they would replce it with a current model to the value of the set when we purchased it! Is that a common practice from all plasma companies?

Why bother with the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=extended%20warranty" onmouseover="window.status='extended warranty'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">extended warranty</a>? Hitachi are really good with their warranties, and i don't know about you but i don't keep my personal displays for longer than 6 months at a time. Obviously not everyone is like me...

so they are good with sevice & waranty? so if they replace when they cant fix it, wouldnt it be better with 5yr as they still replace within that period?

these is no reviews anywhere on the net that i have found on this model, does anyone else have this set and whats it like?

I have a Pio 506 and the image on this thing (55PD8800TA) is brilliant compared to it. Find out what the best price is you can get for it and i will see if i can better it for you!

so the pq is on par with your pioneer? any differences in colours blacks etc what are the comparsions between these two sets? this set is looking more attractive everyday.

think i could get it for around 6900 with ext warranty.

The 55PD8800TA is most definetly on par with the Pio 506. Through both HDMI (with the Pana S97 @ 1080i) and component the image quality is unreal. Blacks and whites are good. The most surprising aspect of the 8800TA is the fact that right up close the image doesnt appear blocky and pixely, unlike the 506. I run my 506 with an S969 through HDMI and the image is still quite blocky. Kudos to Hitachi in this regard.

$6500 sale price equates to ~200 profit...bugger all really

So you are saying its impossible to get a new 55PD8800TA for less than $6000? Would Retravision pay the same as HN? Also do all the 55PD8800TA include the motorised stand?

Mootface in your opinion would a HTPC give as good a picture as the Pana S97?

So you are saying its impossible to get a new 55PD8800TA for less than $6000? Would Retravision pay the same as HN? Also do all the 55PD8800TA include the motorised stand?

Mootface in your opinion would a HTPC give as good a picture as the Pana S97?

HN is the biggest electronics retailer in Australia - so I wouldn't think others can get a cheaper price than them. The market being so competitve and people know that technology is moving so fast that if you wait a bit you'd get something cheaper and better. So the retailers are settling for small margins in order to get a sale. The only way for it to be less than $6k is probably if the vendor - Hitachi reduces the wholesale price. Otherwise good luck convincing someone to sell it to you at a loss.

All Hitachi 8800 series comes with the motorised stand as part of the package. It is not an optional extra.

Best price i got yesterday was $6380 (Delivery included) from Clive Peeters

Extend Warranty to 5 years extra $690

CAN we get better? I'm 2 weeks away from putting in my order for this beauty :blink:

Edited by JohnZA

So did you end up buying it and what are your thoughts ? I'm now looking at it as well.

I finally received my 55PD8800TA yesterday, a two month wait for inventory. All I can say is wow, beautiful plasma in every regard. Have it hooked up to my HTPC via VGA and it produces some very nice imagery. After viewing some of the new 720p movie trailers (Quicktime 7) I cannot wait for the HD-DVD or BD movies to come out.

Disappointed with the fact no HD digital tuners built in, but am running one through my HTPC anyway.

Considering its nearly $1.5k more than a 50" Viera I'm not sure which is the better buy. I definately prefer the Hitachi but it has the extra cost.

Congrats and thanks for the update. When you've lived with it a week or so can you come back with more thoughts. The pic quality did seem very nice each time I view it in stores.

Some thoughts after a week of ownership.

Have hooked a friend's xbox 360 up to it via component and have tuned the display a little for the HTPC and the image still amazes me. The display itself looks very elegant and looks great in the room.

Even though I haven't used the motorised swivel function, the fact that the display has a swivel makes connecting and disconnecting inputs very easy.

I am yet to use HDMI, but it seems the built in scaler and electronics do an exemplary job. My room has viewing distances ranging from 2m out to 5m and I have no problem viewing it up close.

anyone got a decent price on one of these in Melbourne recently??

what set top box is best suited?

Got one from HN for 6.3K and 490 for warranty. Looks soooooo much better through a HD stb and hdmi. when you use the TVs tuner to view a channel then switch to the stb it is amazing how much better it is. I am using a toshima h26.

When I first saw this tv at JB on normal station broadcast the PQ was rubbish, then I saw it at David Jones using a DVD player and I was stunned at the differance.

As far as twin tuners, its a waste, why include them when they provide an inferior PQ, surely if you are able to spring for this TV you would go the extra yard and get a HD stb, surely.

I would say to anyone who is considering this TV, dont pay too much attention to the specs, who is to say which manafacturer is playing us with figures. I listened to people on this forum to get my unit and I am very happy and would not swap for any other TV, there is no contrast issue IMHO

HI,

I just bought this tv from David Jones for $6100- its fantastic & i cant wait for my Panasonic HDSTB with HDMI to arrive so I can see its full potential.

Hi, new user here.

After endless deliberating we bought this model yesterday.

Unfortunately, got home, hooked it all up with a LG HD STB and the thing is dead as a doornail.

No power at all! Anyone help? I am phoning JB first thing to see what they can do.

Very upset as you could imagine...

Will keep you all posted on the outcome.

I also looked at Hitachi 55" Plasma Model 55PD8800TA.

Have one for less than $7,000 now.

BUT ONLY 1,000:1 CONTRAST RATIO ??

Panasonic, Samsung etc 50" Plasma specs are 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio.

A fair difference and the one thing that makes me hesitate buying Hitachi 55" at present.

Anybody care to comment ?