Sign in to follow this  
Myers_Salesperson

Plasma Vs LCD

We don't need any expert HT shop telling us which is best as we have PANASUNG to do this for us !!!!
Not at the moment.

I can't see anything in his recent posts that deserve sin-bin. Maybe I should brush up on the rules...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=Sea...r&mid=29133

He got 3 days in the cooler yesterday

..from this thread

LCD Black Levels - second try

reason you cant see anything wrong with his posts is because they have been deleted

He went into Bribies second attempt of a rational discussion with a completely off topic post and was content to just argue and generally be a nuisance while all the time the OP repeatedly just wanted to discuss black levels.

I reported his off topic baiting and he got 3 days in the cooler

Would I do it gain?

you bet ya black levels I would....

I did it for Elvis

:D:blink:

Great to see the mods taking some action too

He got 3 days in the cooler yesterday

..from this thread

LCD Black Levels - second try

reason you cant see anything wrong with his posts is because they have been deleted

He went into Bribies second attempt of a rational discussion with a completely off topic post and was content to just argue and generally be a nuisance while all the time the OP repeatedly just wanted to discuss black levels.

I reported his off topic baiting and he got 3 days in the cooler

And there are plenty of us that agree with you too Mello.

Does anyone know or understand why this link of MiningMan's works for me but when I send it to someone else it doesn't?

http://www.easternhifi.co.nz/default,668,plasma_vs_lcd.sm

I know there are commas but that does not seem to bother but .......

And there are plenty of us that agree with you too Mello.

Does anyone know or understand why this link of MiningMan's works for me but when I send it to someone else it doesn't?

http://www.easternhifi.co.nz/default,668,plasma_vs_lcd.sm

I know there are commas but that does not seem to bother but .......

No idea, although they won't exactly be panning for gold if you just send them the home page.

It's pretty good, huh?

Thanks for the info mello yello.

I can't get here as often as I'd like and obviously I miss some of the 'stoushs' (to put it mildly).

In life the quality of most products are relative to the price paid..........get this at 7-30am this morning I was first in line at my local Big W to buy one of the advertised Acer 32 inch LCD "on special"... being first I was fortunate enough to be one of the few who could get his hands on the very limited stock.

An absolute steal at at just $698 including it looks great with a very stylish cabinet and also has attached speakers and wow....also a 3 yr warranty.

Got it home and fired it up connected with my Phillips STB ...incredible picture....incredible price.....

I am very satisfied..maybe not as good as some of the "up market" models.....but WOW hows the price !!!!

Thanks for the info mello yello.

I can't get here as often as I'd like and obviously I miss some of the 'stoushs' (to put it mildly).

Hi nico.

There was no stoush, I merely stated my opinion about black levels and screen size and my cyber enemies convinced the mod that I should be banned.

yep, that didn't take long ...

:blink::D ROFLMAO!! That really does explain everything......

his thread is heading in a really weird, disturbing direction... it's funny as hell though.

his thread is heading in a really weird, disturbing direction... it's funny as hell though.

Agreed, the last post is hilarious :blink:

Andrew.

Guest jon10210

Plasma ill choose plasma because it seems that they are good. LCDs are Ok but not satisfaction,

Porblem is Plasmas will break down within 5 years time of use or such its 80% chance that it will break or damage. And yes fixing the plasma on the spot will be well over 1,000 dollars..

Normal tvs that you might have the ancient tvs :blink: if they tempt to break u spend aprox 100 ish to fix it. But plasmas are the big troubles.

Not sure about LCDs i know learn Plasmas.

Plasma ill choose plasma because it seems that they are good. LCDs are Ok but not satisfaction,

Porblem is Plasmas will break down within 5 years time of use or such its 80% chance that it will break or damage. And yes fixing the plasma on the spot will be well over 1,000 dollars..

Normal tvs that you might have the ancient tvs :D if they tempt to break u spend aprox 100 ish to fix it. But plasmas are the big troubles.

Not sure about LCDs i know learn Plasmas.

Hi Jon, welcome to the forum. :P

The question: LCD vs Plasma - Which is better? is a rhetorical one - it has no right or wrong answer. :blink:

It may well be your opinion that plasma is better, and that LCD does not provide satisfaction to your needs. But for someone looking for a display for the kids to watch animated movies during the day, in a brightly lit room - a plasma would be the worst way to go.

As for the observations about the shelf life and serviceability of plasma - on what do you base this? How many people have had plasmas for 5 years (remembering that they were near on $10k 5 years ago)? And have 4 out of 5 of these plasmas just suddenly broken, despite the fact that all they do is hang on the wall, or sit there on a cabinet?

By all means, read and learn all that you can about these technologies. But the Harvey Norman guide to HDTV that you are quoting from, has been discredited in this forum a long time ago...

Cheers,

Aaron.

Plasma, as such, is a very old technology. When laptop computers came out in the 80s (well, luggable rather than laptop!) monochrome plasma screens were common. They came in amber or green. As a gross simplification Mono Plasma works by having an array of vertical wires (y) and another array of horizontal wires (x). In between the 2 sets is a glass plate with accurately placed bubbles of a rare gas such that an individual bubble has a y wire at its front and an x wire at its rear. To light up an individual pixel (for example 200y, 150x) you apply a high positive voltage along wire 200y and a high negative voltage to wire 150x. At the gas bubble where these wires intersect, this "stress" causes the gas bubble to glow. Like I said this is an extreme simplification like week 1 of GRAPHICS 101 :blink::D and the transformation of this technology into colour TV screens has been a huge undertaking.

However given the huge effort that has gone into Plasma, what I don't understand is why, with a 20 or 30 year history behind the technology, we don't have 51 cm or 81 cm plasmas, seeing as plasma was successfully used on the smaller computer screens in the 80s ? Is it just that they can't make the bubbles small enough?? Also at its very basis Plasma is somewhat simpler than LCD and should be bulletproof as long as you don't crack or drop the glass panel, so how come the (perceived) reliability problems?

Plasma, as such, is a very old technology. When laptop computers came out in the 80s (well, luggable rather than laptop!) monochrome plasma screens were common. They came in amber or green. As a gross simplification Mono Plasma works by having an array of vertical wires (y) and another array of horizontal wires (x). In between the 2 sets is a glass plate with accurately placed bubbles of a rare gas such that an individual bubble has a y wire at its front and an x wire at its rear. To light up an individual pixel (for example 200y, 150x) you apply a high positive voltage along wire 200y and a high negative voltage to wire 150x. At the gas bubble where these wires intersect, this "stress" causes the gas bubble to glow. Like I said this is an extreme simplification like week 1 of GRAPHICS 101 :blink::D and the transformation of this technology into colour TV screens has been a huge undertaking.

However given the huge effort that has gone into Plasma, what I don't understand is why, with a 20 or 30 year history behind the technology, we don't have 51 cm or 81 cm plasmas, seeing as plasma was successfully used on the smaller computer screens in the 80s ? Is it just that they can't make the bubbles small enough?? Also at its very basis Plasma is somewhat simpler than LCD and should be bulletproof as long as you don't crack or drop the glass panel, so how come the (perceived) reliability problems?

Most failures are not the screen - they are the components driving the screen.

Plasmas run hotter than a LCD - so this alone may explain the perceived higher failure rate (whether this is indeed the case I don't know). They also draw more power (which I suppose will be why they run hotter).

Plasma has always been limited by two issues:

Firstly the technology to produce smaller 'pixels' - hence forth why the 1080 plasmas are recent - they have not been able to produce small enough individual pixels to allow for the higher res on smaller screens.

Secondly (related to the first), the cost of producing these smaller screens is expensive relative to the competition (LCD).

For LCD, the problem seems to have been the reverse - more difficult and expensive to produce the larger screens.

J.

My 2c

J.

couple of artticles on S'house magazine

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large...dustry/L7F7G6R4

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large...dustry/G8W2F9T4

dont own a panasonic but I'm with panasonic and len wallis and the retailers. plasma is better, never liked lcd. its a massive con job those who push lcd is better. if its pq your chasing plasma is it !