Plasma Vs LCD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO plasma reigns supreme at the moment. Higher contrast, better blacks and whites and a more 'natural' colour palette.

However i really must say the Sony Bravia LCD range is fu****g brilliant and really, really, really, really gives plasma a run for it's money. I am almost certain i am going to sell my Hitachi and grab a 40" Bravia, they are that f'n good

They both have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It depends on the particular brand and product. I've seen some amazing plasmas and some absolutely dreadful ones. Same for LCD.

You have to think about what your requirements are. Size, picture quality, weight, price, etc. For example, I didn't want a 42 inch tv. Just too big for my living room. So that rules out most of the plasmas. But on the plus size, i spent the extra money i saved on size to spend on a good quality lcd that probably gives me a better picture than a similar priced plasma.

Edited by Inferno-

I get asked this question about 10 times a day, which is better you think I know I like plasma but some ppl would not agree with me have your say......

Its not about what you like, its about what your customer likes. Do the right thing by them, educate them with proper technical insight, give them the pros and cons for both and let them make an informed decision. Of course your boss will always tell you to push the ones taking up too much space in the warehouse and the best kickbacks. Customers appreciate honesty and good service. They dont like to be told what to buy (some do?).

As for me, Plasma, LCD....hhhmmmmmmmmm, Ill get back to you.

Its unfortunate that many people want to be told which is best instead of being educated.

Which is why there are so many plasma vs lcd threads :blink:

Just tell them that LCD is better if they plan to display constant static images (ie use it a a computer monitor) but plasma has better contrast for more detail in dark scenes of movies.

Edited by yabbal

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I was seriously considering a 40" Bravia LCD although that meant waiting a while for at least one more price drop. I then compared it in store to a Panasonic 50A. Surprise, Surprise I liked the pana more. Not technical enough to explain exactly why except the Bravia image did not seem stable up close..like little worms moving about. The plasma was definately better than earlier vintages and for $2,600 less (excluding extra warranty) I grabbed it. I am also told that the refresh rates on Plasma are still faster than LCD but whilst you can get a 8ms response time quoted on a Bravia, I have not seen a comparitive figure on plasma..anyone know what it is on a Pana 50A?

Edited by Russell65

No just refresh rates - yes important - but also the scaling engine. The ability to convert interlaced to progressive and to scael to the native screen resolution for example. Plasma screen is older more mature technology - cheaper to produce so more money can be spent on electronics eg better scalers. LCD different - bleeding edge screen technology leaving less to spend on electronics. and scalers not always as good. My view anyway or at least what I watch out for ie check the scaler performance on cheaper LCDs

Just for the record I love my 50-inch Fuji, but let's stop the thread now.

All the posts have been really good and informative and not a sign of "Trolling around".

I think with anything AV (indeed anything in life) nothing is "perfect" everything has it's flaws and limitations (except my dear darling wife :blink: ), but the art is to find the one you are happy with.

Educating the potential purchaser is the greatest service you can do for them, and then let them make up their own minds.

Austen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest linuscambridge

My 2 bob worth; I love my Panasonic 50" Viera with a good HD input, either a movie or one of the US shows shot in HD (CSI, Law and Order etc.)

However, I just got back from Japan, and the best picture I have EVER seen on anything was the Sharp Aquos 60" LCD, with a Blue Ray feed.

Truly amazing!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Slobber Chops
There are size/weight advantages, however, neither comes close to the HD PQ of a CRT.

Indications are new SED technology with replace all three.

I have heard this many, many time before but it really puzzles me.

If I go into a department store like Myer or David Jones where I can see all of the different types side by side, I am always struck by the brilliant, stable, crystal clear images of the LCD and Plasma displays compared to the nasty, flickering CRTs.

My 2 bob worth; I love my Panasonic 50" Viera with a good HD input, either a movie or one of the US shows shot in HD (CSI, Law and Order etc.)

However, I just got back from Japan, and the best picture I have EVER seen on anything was the Sharp Aquos 60" LCD, with a Blue Ray feed.

Truly amazing!!!!

Yeah Ive seen similar and Aussie standards just dont cut it.

The HD is good, but shite compared to whats available abroad.

The simple reason for me buying a HD panel is futureproofing.!

Talk of LED backlit LCD's, sounds good but I also read further than power consumption on these is massive compared to an equivalent plasma.

LCD's are alright, but still not worth the money they command unless you definately need a small screen and even then they are still not worth the money.

LCDtv is still a work in progress (plasma is too, but still miles ahead) I have customers coming to me telling me that LCD is way to go, but then I highlight the simple facts

a) LCD's struggle to do anything approaching a real black

:blink: Many LCD's tend to have overly bright & washed out images (mainly th cheaper ones) and or unnatural looking colour

c) Most LCD's still seem to motion blur

d) Viewing angles on majority still dont match the plasmas, some of the latest LCD's as soon as move away from the sweet spot, the image just loses its quality.

e) The LCD screens are easy to damage

f) A 42" LCD vs 42" HD Plasma. Generally the plasma blows the lcd away in terms of quality and price. I have yet to see a situation where the LCD is superior.

g) A comparable LCD & Plasma tend to weigh the same in many cases and they also tend to consume comparable amounts of power.

Don't believe me go find a properly set up plasma, ie Panasonic 500A, or the Pioneer PDP506, then compare them to the best LCD you can find. I promise you the plasma will **** all over the LCD. Look at the 40" Sony Bravia, yes its nice, then go take a look at the Similar priced and larger Pioneer 43" or the Panasonic 500A series. Compare them all on price and performance, which seems the best....why would you pay MORE for a 40" when you can get a 42" HD?

Those that generally defend LCD technology are those poor souls who spent $8000 2 years ago for their Sharp Aquous because someone told them plasmas are going on soon. Or head the moronic rumour that Sony was stopping manufacturing plasmas, eh hum, folks Sony never even made their own plasma glass.

The comments made heree "http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp" about LCD's having better real world contrast must have been written by someone who is blind. Ever seen an LCD & Plasma face off in a dark room? Blacks on a good plasma tend to look black, whereas on the LCD it seems a little grey...see the difference now?

All the negativity aside LCD's are preferable if you are in an environment with lots of light such as sunlight, mainly because their screens are a matte finish versus the plasma which is glossy. However ever seen a glossy screened lcd? they are as reflective as a plasma screen.

I also prefer LCDs for computer displays, I am using a BenQ FP71G*S screen right now, truth is though I miss the CRT screen.

With SED & OLED on the horizon I dont see a great future in LCD or Plasma, though. LCD mainly is still far from perfect, its crawling there but by the time it is there it'll be eclipsed by something better. Backlit technologies just seem so primitive to me, trying to perfect and improve LCD reminds me of Holdens efforts in trying to improve and keep the old Inline 6 donk going, sure it worked but it was at the end still a crappy motor.

At the end of the day its as simple as this:

1. If you mind a big screen 42"+

2. If you dont accept mediocrisy and want a nice picture

3. You dont want to be raped by LCD prices.

Get a plasma.

otherwise

1. If you dont want a big tv (17"-37")

2. You like displaying lots of still imagery for long periods

3. You dont have curtains and blinds in your house and you watch alot of tv during the day

4. You dont mind paying $4000 for a 37" screen when a 42" HD is available for the same price.

5. If you want to tell your friends that your LCD is better than their plasma

6. Your not too fussed about image quality

Get an lcd.

• 1 year later...

Last weekend I noticed a fairly informative 6 page insert in the Sunday paper from Panasonic essentially laying out the virtues of plasma over LCD for larger screen sizes, plus a bit of plasma mythbusting. Nice that it came from a manufacturer of both technologies. Anyway, if the Great Unwashed (ie: non-DTVForum readers) at least read that it might save a few salespersons' reputations and expensive bad choices along with some digital TV enlightenment.

Last weekend I noticed a fairly informative 6 page insert in the Sunday paper from Panasonic essentially laying out the virtues of plasma over LCD for larger screen sizes, plus a bit of plasma mythbusting. Nice that it came from a manufacturer of both technologies. Anyway, if the Great Unwashed (ie: non-DTVForum readers) at least read that it might save a few salespersons' reputations and expensive bad choices along with some digital TV enlightenment.
Some related reading:

Panasonic Plasma v LCD report

Regards

Peter Gillespie

These guys are my local store. (Posting this link here shouldn't be a problem, since they're hardly likely to see a rise in sales due to free advertising on an Australian forum...)

Anyway, this comparison is a really good read on the competing technologies for both salespeople and potential customers. There are a couple of things in there that are arguable. For example their viewing distance calcs are a bit conservative, and they tend to sell Hitachi plasma a few times. But all in all, it's a fairly even handed review of the current situation.

The verdict? Learn about the pros and cons of each technology, have a look, and decide for yourself.

Now isn't that what everyone else was saying??? :blink:

Good NZ review there, Mining Man. There are still CRTs and DLPs and LCOS displays out there selling in fair numbers so they should be considered by new purchasers. It's not just a plasma / LCD contest in the real world. Our local Sony Central has a massive, and I mean massive LCOS near the door and people in the mall stand there with their mouths hanging!!

Nearly bought a big DLP last year (glorious colour) but settled for LCD, which turned out a good move because we moved to a place with a much smaller lounge room!

The goalposts keep shifting. SED is dead. LCD projectors are now offering "theatrical blacks", screen resolutions are going up to true 1080 HD and LCD response times are going down driven probably by computer monitor rates (currently looking at 5 and 3 ms models for my new monitor - it's only last year that some manufacturers were still pumping out 16ms TVs). The actual inputs into the screens themselves are improving with HDMI and upscaling DVD players which can improve the looks of otherwise mediocre screens of whatever digital technology.

We used to go to the movies and go ooh aah. Yesterday I saw Pirates III and at several places in the movie thought: "you know, the PQ actually leaves a bit to be desired". Goes to show what improving TV screen technologies have done to our perceptions and expectations.

As suggested above, get out to a properly set up TV store with an open mind and look at ALL the offerings.