Sign in to follow this  
weipa

Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

Component is not an acceptible source for 1080P image. It is not allowed under HDCP restrictions and this means you cannot use items like a blu ray player with it. 1080P must go through HDMI which does not work with a device like the PS3.

Now I really don't know a huge amount about the politics of HD formats, but from my brief investigations, HDCP is simply a Digital Rights Management/encryption system. It isn't the 1080P format itself. Interestingly, the HD-DVD player they are selling for the X360 will have to output via component, since they haven't added HDMI to the 360.

I think the issue is with HDCP, not 1080p over HDMI.

Edited by bugeater

Now I really don't know a huge amount about the politics of HD formats, but from my brief investigations, HDCP is simply a Digital Rights Management/encryption system. It isn't the 1080P format itself. Interestingly, the HD-DVD player they are selling for the X360 will have to output via component, since they haven't added HDMI to the 360.

looks like the best i can get is 1080i@60hz via HDMI this is using a 1080p source dvd player this is not a blueray or hddvd player but the yamaha 1700b

You can output 1080P via VGA from the HDDVD player. This is the best way to do it at the moment. Component 1080P is not a supported format for either HDDVD or Blu Ray.

Geese, seems like you are a minority. Please learn to plug in a cable and stop with your rhetoric... You'll discourage people from enjoying a well priced piece of equipment.

You stated blankly that 1080P will not work. Now you have changed your tune. Don't screw up a very worthwhile thread!

Return the unit if you feel you are too challenged to make it work..

Geese, seems like you are a minority. Please learn to plug in a cable and stop with your rhetoric... You'll discourage people from enjoying a well priced piece of equipment.

You stated blankly that 1080P will not work. Now you have changed your tune. Don't screw up a very worthwhile thread!

Return the unit if you feel you are too challenged to make it work..

Let me state it again firmly for those who cannot read or refuse to accept the truth of the matter:

"This TV does NOT accept a 1080P signal"

People may be able to get 1920 X1280 to work HDMI by using a DVI>HDMI cable and using settings in powerstrip with a certain type of video card. Not all PCs and cards can do this even with IDENTICAL settings. This, therefore, cannot be seen as a solution for mainstream consumers. I was able to get the panel to run at 1928X1080 after an insane amount of mucking around with powerstrip but it was not 1:1 pixel however the image quality was good.

However, 1920X1080 is not 1080P. 1080P is a standardised HDMI resolution. An example of a product that outputs 1080P via HDMI is the PlayStation 3. This TV will NOT display 1080P from a device like the PS3 via HDMI.

Oddly this TV can accept a 1080P singal via Component input only. However the problems with this are twofold.

1. The signal quality is very poor because of the transmission format. Either the component cables are not capable of properly conducting a 1080P signal because of its bandwidth, or this unit has a very poor component transcoder. Either way the end result is that the image is poor in colour reproduction, has strong shadowing, and blurring. Compared to a HDMI 1080i signal on the same panel the image is extremely poor.

2. Component cannot be used for 1080P for Blur Ray or HDDVD movies. HDCP does not allow the signal to be used on component over 1080P. Therefore the input is useless for those wishing to connect a 1080P Blu Ray or HDDVD player.

As suggested, I have sold this panel and purchased the sony 40X. It supports 1080P via a PC or PlayStation 3 and has superior image quality.

This post is for the information of people wishing to purchase this panel.

Let me state it again firmly for those who cannot read or refuse to accept the truth of the matter:

"This TV does NOT accept a 1080P signal"

1080P is a standardised HDMI resolution. ...

I've been wanting to join this discussion for a couple of days, but just haven't had the time. Also, all the technical documents are on another computer, so I can't be definitive right now. But basically, IMHO, geese has some valid points (but maybe they could have been expressed better initially), but also some invalid points.

There are a bunch of standards that have their own definition of 1080p. From memory these include:

GTF - analogue -- usually carried by VGA, three-wire, five-wire, scart, etc. physical layers

CVT - analogue & digital

CVT-RB - digital -- usually carried by DVI, DPF, HDMI, etc.

ATSC/DVB/CEA/ITU - the digital broadcast formats

SMPTE ?274m (HD-SDI) (only does 1080p24) - digital -- single coaxial cable

SMPTE?372m (does up to 1080p60) - digital -- dual coaxial cable

IIRC the HDMI spec allows at least three colour formats, which means that there is NOT a single 1080p format mandated under HDMI.

All that aside, Acer has put out some marketing material (e.g. the display sticker discussed way back) that says the display is "1080p ready". 1080p over VGA works, but ordinary 1080p over the digital connections has been a problem for many people.

So, to say "This TV does NOT accept a 1080P signal" is NOT correct. But it is reasonable to say "This TV accepts a restricted (and sometimes non-standard) set of 1080p signals -- which may limit your ability to connect devices".

Adrian

[back online in Feb. I'll be interested to see how this develops over the next two weeks :-)]

My Neuneo DVD player outputs 1080p through HDMI; the Acer 3705 takes it without any worry and clearly displays "1080p" in the info box. Obviously I'm not using this player to view anything (upscaler quality is crap).

Here is my hacking secret :

[player]--->---HDMIcable--->---[Acer3705]

All that aside, Acer has put out some marketing material (e.g. the display sticker discussed way back) that says the display is "1080p ready". 1080p over VGA works, but ordinary 1080p over the digital connections has been a problem for many people.

Actually the signal is 1080i60 that the TV accepts here under VGA. It is an interlaced signal so it is not 1080P.

The TV takes the interlaced signal at 60fields and makes it 30 frames. The end result is a lot of interlace artefacts.

My Neuneo DVD player outputs 1080p through HDMI; the Acer 3705 takes it without any worry and clearly displays "1080p" in the info box. Obviously I'm not using this player to view anything (upscaler quality is crap).

Very interested in this report. Does the image have any artefact issues on the left side of the screen when displaying this signal? Although the panel with PS3 says 1080P motion shudders and there is coloured artefacts on the left side of the panel. You need to view the screen with video content to see it rather than just a black screen or menu screen.

What software version does your TV have? I did ask acer to help and update the paels software but their reparier, highpoint, could not be bother assisting me test the PS3 hardware on their own panels...

On a side note, some people OS say they cannot even get a signal on screen with the PS3, noting that there is some difference between software versions.

All off this controversy about 1080p and HDMI is just another reason why DRM sucks. Dont blame the hardware manufacturers its the greedy studios and record companies. The really amazing thing about this thread is that all the people are trying to use legal content providers ie PS3 to run the panel but rich companies paranoia is making it virtually impossible. This has to stop. Please write to your MP's and tell them to stop. I just read the other day that Apple has been told by some European country that their iTunes DRM is illegal as the court thinks that if you buy musuc you should be able to play it on any of your mp3 players not just your iPod. Hopefully this is a start.

Paul

Actually the signal is 1080i60 that the TV accepts here under VGA. It is an interlaced signal so it is not 1080P.

The TV takes the interlaced signal at 60fields and makes it 30 frames. The end result is a lot of interlace artefacts.

Ah bugger. Yes, we discussed this way back in April and I'd completely forgotten. But I thought someone had subsequently got 1080p working over VGA ... ? I just don't have the time before I go away to re-read everything.

Adrian

Here is my hacking secret :

[player]--->---HDMIcable--->---[Acer3705]

Ahh its great to see the 1080p discussions alive and kicking again boys :D. Its come along way since therm3l's original postings and then ajaxs' and others settings since. The successful pains and tweaking with ATI and this unit are over for me- > I just had to re-live the game alll again thanks to a graphics card update...though spent a lot less time stuffing around with nvidia :blink:.

Bingouille, I am also interested in what success you may have had with this 1080p upscaling player. Do images display correctly even though you are definitely getting the 1080p prompt? For that matter, geese has anyone else round these forums tried a ps3 with the unit to any better success? I didn't read into those pages too heavily at the time....im assuming that the best you got before selling the tv was downscaled to a 1080i/30 image?

I'm on AppC:VWE7_EU_CMO37_V1.09. Bought it June, 2006. The 1080p Neuneo picture through HDMI has no artefacts nor any problem related to the 3705; no distorsion at corners, etc. I'm not using the Neuneo because I'm using the HDMI input with my HTPC; also this chinese player just doesn't have enough CPU power to keep doing a good upscaling job at 1080p. It's fairly good at 720p; this is why I'm using it on an older, 32", 720p Sony LCD in another room.

Unfortunately you can't watch the HD channels with the built-in tuner - you'd need a standalone HD tuner box or a HTPC to do that..

My Acer has just started acting up a little - losing the order of the channels stored once you turn the TV off. Anyone else had this happen?

I had the same problem with the channels last year (about October) - as well as variable audio delay or lipsync problems. Highpoint took it away to "fix" it, but the same thing happened to the channels again recently. I'd rescan all channels, then within a day the channels had lost order again. Couldn't even use channel up and down - it seemed to jump around to random channels.

Highpoint have had it again for the last two weeks - to "fix" it. They have no idea about what to do to fix it. I suspect they will replace the main board and load the latest firmware (again!).

The TV is unwatchable through the internal SD tuner due to the constant reordering of channels (not to mention the occasionally very poor audio synch).

I also have a Samsung LA26R71BD which does not have any audio sync problems or any other reception problems - even the HD channels.

This is ACERs last chance for me - if the latest fix doesn't hold (when I finally get it back), I'll be demanding a full refund for the price I paid 10 months ago. Probably will go and buy a Sony X series or a Samsung HD.

The picture quality of the ACER is awesome, but the other issues including the audio synch are nasty. I had my original unit replaced due to backlight issues and dead pixels, now the new unit has been in repair for more than 10% of the time that I've owned it + it has already had an in-house firmware upgrades. Now it needs to be shipped across the country to Sydney for weeks on end everytime it needs to be repaired - that's just not good enough.

This TV will NOT display 1080P from a device like the PS3 via HDMI.

Although the panel with PS3 says 1080P motion shudders and there is coloured artefacts on the left side of the panel.

Garbage. I have a PS3 hooked up to my MGW via HDMI and it displays fine.

As i posted before I don't get the artefacts that you are seeing on the left side of the panel (or if it's there I haven't noticed it). There is a bit of jerkiness during fast action scenes in Blu Ray and games, but I suspect it's the PS3 chugging away and not due to the display. The other thing is I get underscan at 1080P, but not at 720P. Other than that the display works fine with a PS3.

Garbage. I have a PS3 hooked up to my MGW via HDMI and it displays fine.

As i posted before I don't get the artefacts that you are seeing on the left side of the panel (or if it's there I haven't noticed it). There is a bit of jerkiness during fast action scenes in Blu Ray and games, but I suspect it's the PS3 chugging away and not due to the display. The other thing is I get underscan at 1080P, but not at 720P. Other than that the display works fine with a PS3.

I've tried my PS3 on 3 different panels and It did not work on any of them. This would suggest that your panel is running different software or that you own a freak panel.

Many people OS have tried this as well and none of them have had it work.

It would be good if you could post your software version as well as some pics of the PS2 running 1080P

Hate to break up this discussion - i await to see any pics of decent 1080p-ps3 over hdmi!. yum.

However, I recently upgraded my pc so after months of enjoying a 1080p desktop, its now time to display some pc games in their glory on the acer.

PC Gamers, what do you guys do in order to display games correctly? Some recent games have WS support, however, most older display on my tv with either a border around, - or with overscan if i select "fit image to monitor/display device" from the nvidia control panel. Any ideas guys?

An example is Silent Hunter III which has a native max res of 1024*768. - Upon launching, the tv changes to 1024 res all fine, but of course there is still considerable overscan on the vertical.

Running a 7900gs via DVI-HDMI - 1921*1080p @ 60hz to the acer also cloned to a 22inch WS monitor.

Ideas or suggestions i would applaude! :blink:

Cheers.

I had the same problem with the channels last year (about October) - as well as variable audio delay or lipsync problems. Highpoint took it away to "fix" it, but the same thing happened to the channels again recently. I'd rescan all channels, then within a day the channels had lost order again. Couldn't even use channel up and down - it seemed to jump around to random channels.

Highpoint have had it again for the last two weeks - to "fix" it. They have no idea about what to do to fix it. I suspect they will replace the main board and load the latest firmware (again!).

The TV is unwatchable through the internal SD tuner due to the constant reordering of channels (not to mention the occasionally very poor audio synch).

Hmmm, ours is in with exactly the same problem!

Edited by zanoni

Hi gang, and greetings from Canada....I currently have the AT3705-DTV w/ AppC: VWU7_CA_AUO37_V1.03.

Interesting discussion on this interesting TV. I too have been trying to achieve 1080p through posted hacks, and what not... my situation involves my PC laptop and getting true 1080p on the AT3705.

I have a Toshiba P100-A3C, with a Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 display, which has both VGA and DVI outputs. I'm using the most up-to-date drivers, (afaik) v48.00, on WinXP Home. The DVI works better than VGA, it *looks* like true 1080p, but scanning only at 30Hz. Does anyone know if there's a Geforce Go 7300-compatible driver/hack out there that WILL produce 1080x1920@60Hz?? btw... I have both DVI->DVI and DVI->HDMI cables. Thanks for any help there.

Anyway, that's a hack, as geese correctly stated. OFFICIALLY, in North America, Acer states on its website, that 1080p60 is only available through component ports. Here's some useful links for some of you...

Specs: http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...s=&areaid=2

FAQs, other links:

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...id=3390#results

Component only for 1080p60?? I need to upgrade my other PC anyway, and I'll be careful of which vid card I buy next. But for just a TV, this pic is great for the price.

apaullo

It would be good if you could post your software version as well as some pics of the PS2 running 1080P

From memory my TV has firmware v1.09.

X-Men: The Last Stand (1080P): http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2492/cimg1374lu6.jpg

NBA 2K7 (1080P): http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6219/cimg1373ab6.jpg

NBA 2K7 (720P): http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7058/cimg1372gf0.jpg

You can see the underscan in 1080P by comparing the NBA 2K7 images - check out the bottom left corner where the 2K image is.

Hi, I have the following setup:

Analog satellite receiver is connected to Scart1. I have dismantled the loudspeakers and connected the AV Audio Out to my receiver. BUT no sound!

Same applies for the connection of the DVD to the Composite Input. The only thing I can hear is the sound of the analog TV coaxial input, and this is continuous, even if I switch to another source.

I have a workaround for this (connecting the audio of the two sources directly to the receiver - but this was not my original intention).

Has someone the same experience or even better a solution?

Hmmm, ours is in with exactly the same problem!

Hi,

I am an Acer LCD TV repairer.. if you can give me the acer case number i can find out exactly where your tv is and what is happenning..

for all those woundering the latest digital firmware currently out for Australia is dVWx_AU_V1.08

anyone with dVWx_EU_V1.09 is for the european system and will not function correctly.. the loosing of digital channels is solved by this update.. and the chanel 10 sync problem in WA currently has no fix.

Hi,

I am an Acer LCD TV repairer.. if you can give me the acer case number i can find out exactly where your tv is and what is happenning..

for all those woundering the latest digital firmware currently out for Australia is dVWx_AU_V1.08

anyone with dVWx_EU_V1.09 is for the european system and will not function correctly.. the loosing of digital channels is solved by this update.. and the chanel 10 sync problem in WA currently has no fix.

i have the at3705-hmgw with firmware vwa7-au-au037_v0.025 is there any major issues that have been solved with later firmware ?

Hi,

Hi Richo55,

can you confirm the 'Audio Out' behaviour I described above?