Sign in to follow this  
weipa

Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

HD TV on a 16ms panel is stupid and pointless?

16ms is FINE / PERFECT for MPEG digital TV broadcasting.

The ms rating is often CONFUSED with vertical REFRESH rates.

Articles dispelling this URBAN MYTH:

(perhaps misinformation derived from the "X" Generation posting on this forum who grew up with computers):

Source: http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/21,54.html

http://www.errors-forums.com/index.php?topic=50.new

DA

Sorry DA, I think the first link doesn't say much and the last link is crap (can't comment on second one, my work system blocks the site).

There is a relationship between vertical refresh rate and response time. If you want a full black-white-black transition (required for no ghosting/smearing) the response time has to be equal to or less than 1/(vertical refresh rate) -- i.e:

50Hz => 20ms (or less)

60Hz => 16.7ms (or less)

75Hz => 13.3ms (or less)

85Hz => 11.8ms (or less)

100Hz => 10ms (or less)

120Hz => 8.3ms (or less)

But most reported LCD response times are grey-to-grey, not black-white-black ...

Adrian

There's an advert in the latest Radio Rentals (SA) catalogue:

NEW RELEASE

Acer 37" (93cm) Widescreen LCD TV

-1920 x 1080 resolution

- 500:1 contrast ratio

- 500cd/m2 brightness

$3299

No model number is published.

EVERY online retailer (in AUS) i've seen who carry this model all say it has 500:1 contrast.

That's why i contacted Acer directly, and they confirmed it's actually 800:1 on par with the UK model.

Well, i have my fingers crossed for that....

There's an advert in the latest Radio Rentals (SA) catalogue:

No model number is published.

That would be the RRP of the non-mediagate model. The RRP of the AT3705-MG is $3699.

What I really want to know is what inputs it accepts via HDMI/DVI. The webpage "mentions" 1080p, and there is no mention in the manual regarding the acceptable PC input resolutions. The component inputs accept 1080i.

Is the DTV tuner HD? (There is also an analog tuner).

Brad

Edited by Therm3l

That would be the RRP of the non-mediagate model. The RRP of the AT3705-MG is $3699.

What I really want to know is what inputs it accepts via HDMI/DVI. The webpage "mentions" 1080p, and there is no mention in the manual regarding the acceptable PC input resolutions. The component inputs accept 1080i.

Is the DTV tuner HD? (There is also an analog tuner).

Brad

Yeah, the manual sux....doensnt tell u much at all.....i looked everywhere on the web...and there's absolutely NO info....maybe becuase it's not released anywhere in the world yet, hopefully will see some in a couple weeks time.

Yep, i believe it's HD DTV....

Hey, GUys, another update:

on the phone with Acer Sales just then, because they did not reply my email, and basically asked this rep the same questions that you all asked.

He was saying, he got all the spec info *internally* from the Product Manager, and they also have test engineers working on the product "downstairs", so i would say, i maybe should trust his info.

Now, he again confirmed that the response time is 12ms and the contrast 800:1

Then, I asked about PC input (DVI/RGB) resolution, but he could not answer and said will get back to me.

so, stay tuned....

He was saying, he got all the spec info *internally* from the Product Manager, and they also have test engineers working on the product "downstairs", so i would say, i maybe should trust his info.

All the specs in the world don't mean jack if you don't like the picture! :blink:

Get out there and audition sets.

All the specs in the world don't mean jack if you don't like the picture! :P

Get out there and audition sets.

Hehe, very true, but there are NO sets around anywhere yet!

Let me know if you see one :blink:

Hey, GUys, another update:

on the phone with Acer Sales just then, because they did not reply my email, and basically asked this rep the same questions that you all asked.

Then, I asked about PC input (DVI/RGB) resolution, but he could not answer and said will get back to me.

so, stay tuned....

Thanks for chasing this up. I suspect its only 13XXx7XX but maybe not...

guys, the thing to look for is the media centre version. Chances are that the external connections will be 1080i cause they are that stupid bloody HDMI crap and current versions cant handle 1080p (unlike DVI on every PC desk!)

anyways, I digress. The media interface may have some sort of internal connection to the screen and avoid the 1080i limit. As long as it can play xvid/dvix at 1080p it would be fine.

Hi Guys,

We got these in today at DSE Power house where I work. I was rather excited as I've been waiting for Acer to have a "true" HD display and I just found it out the back when I got there.

Unfortunately, after rigging it up to a PC in our computer section I couldn't get it to display at 1920x 1080. It says on the dispay itself it should do 1080p, but I could only get 1080i. Finally found an option to do 1080p and the screen complained it was out of range and the pc wouldn't revert back. That basically killed off DVI as I couldn't see anything so I tried VGA. It will do 1600 x 900 ok (looks blurry though) but if I try 1920 x 1080 the screen goes stupid and drops out.

Rather disapointed as it doesn't appear to be the screen I've been waiting for :-( If anyone can work out if/how to get this to dispay the full res please let us know!

Edited by infinite83

Hi Guys,

We got these in today at DSE Power house where I work. I was rather excited as I've been waiting for Acer to have a "true" HD display and I just found it out the back when I got there.

Unfortunately, after rigging it up to a PC in our computer section I couldn't get it to display at 1920x 1080. It says on the dispay itself it should do 1080p, but I could only get 1080i. Finally found an option to do 1080p and the screen complained it was out of range and the pc wouldn't revert back. That basically killed off DVI as I couldn't see anything so I tried VGA. It will do 1600 x 900 ok (looks blurry though) but if I try 1920 x 1080 the screen goes stupid and drops out.

Rather disapointed as it doesn't appear to be the screen I've been waiting for :-( If anyone can work out if/how to get this to dispay the full res please let us know!

Well Infinite, if you work in sydney, i would be happy to lend a hand. I have been waiting for the opportunity to test this set cause I would like to buy a 1080p screen.

just PM me please :blink:

Well Infinite, if you work in sydney, i would be happy to lend a hand. I have been waiting for the opportunity to test this set cause I would like to buy a 1080p screen.

just PM me please :P

Sorry mate, I'm in Melbourne.

Had another crack today. I installed the latest nvidia drivers (it's a 6600 card the PC is using). Now the 1080p option isn't even showing in the drivers, it seems the drivers are detecting the display as 1080i as a max.

So I kinda give up. Maybe Acer shipped before their firmware was actually capable of supporting it (they did something similar with their 82cm. Or maybe 1080p is only through hdmi or something.

Very disapointing considering apart from this it's a bloody nice screen. Lots of "oooohs" from customers looking at content playing on it.

The noise reduction on this one is actually ok too. On the 82cm it sucked, but they've improved it a lot. Too bad about 1080p via DVI :blink:

Is this in stock anywhere in QLD yet or which place will have it first? Is DSE 'powerhouse' a special DS store that is only in NSW or VIC?

I'm going to go for the media gateway version. I wonder if the only way to get 1080p is from a HTPC with a dual link DVI ATI 1800x or NVidea 7800gtx.?

Why can't the onboard HD tuner upscale to 1080p to give a smooth, flicker free picture? Poor if it doesn't as apparently 1080i is unwatchable so whats the point of having a 1920x1080 panel?

Are there any 1080p (even upscaling from 1080i) STBs? Or any coming?

Sorry mate, I'm in Melbourne.

Had another crack today. I installed the latest nvidia drivers (it's a 6600 card the PC is using). Now the 1080p option isn't even showing in the drivers, it seems the drivers are detecting the display as 1080i as a max.

So I kinda give up. Maybe Acer shipped before their firmware was actually capable of supporting it (they did something similar with their 82cm. Or maybe 1080p is only through hdmi or something.

Very disapointing considering apart from this it's a bloody nice screen. Lots of "oooohs" from customers looking at content playing on it.

The noise reduction on this one is actually ok too. On the 82cm it sucked, but they've improved it a lot. Too bad about 1080p via DVI :blink:

Infinite, can you use a nvidai 7800 or one of the new ATIx1800 cards. make sure the DVI cable has 2 complete 'sets' of pins in it (dual link dvi). I suspect this sort of card/cable is the only way you may get 1080p working. Single link probably wont cut it.

Quite note:

I have not yet heard back from Acer (actually, I doubt I will, becuase the sales guy i spoke to didnt know much about all the diff resolusions anyway)

Also:

infinite83, is it possible to hook up your PC via DVI -- HDMI cable to the panel? see if that works?

thanks!

I just got off the phone to Acer regarding this issue. The person I spoke too said that the maximum resolution over the DVI or HDMI ports that the monitor would accept is 1280x768. I'm not sure how good the person's knowledge of the product was but he said he got the information from an internal technical specifications sheet (i.e probably the manual).

I was also under the impression that ACER/Benq were the same company, but the person I spoke to said that is no longer the case. I mentioned that the Benq monitor does accept 1920x1080 over DVI, but his reply was that I would need to contact Benq to query this. There is still hope thou, as I believe benq never advertised that the maximum resolution that their monitor would support was 1920x1080 but it worked anyway.

So according to acer, it seems that the AT3705/AT3705-MGW are not TRUE 1080p compatible monitors, but i'm still eager for someone to actually test this with a current ATI/nvidia card and and give us definitive results.

I need a true 1080P 37" LCD for under $4000k goddammit :ph34r:

I didn't see on Acers web site for the AT3705/AT3705-MGW, any mention of 1080p.

On this page, in the section headed 'Picture-perfect display' it says "A spacious 37" screen with 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution is ready for 1080p.." i think it's debateable whether this might mean 'accepts full 1920x1080 resolution'. I guess we'll find out as people buy these units and test their capabilities.

I'd be interested to know whether Acer says that the DSub PC input is also limited to 1280X768.

jakes.

There is not much point chasing 1080p over component or VGA dsub connectors. These are analog inputs (ie signal loss). Also HDMI cant do 1080p till v1.3 hits town, so rule it out.

There is only one connector on any set that you should be looking for 1080p support- yep DVI

Also HDMI cant do 1080p till v1.3 hits town, so rule it out.

This HDMI v1.3 you speak of, would/could it be a software upgradeable thing or purely hardware?

That would be dual dvi, with not much available to connect to it, bar a couple of $600- plus graphic cards.

Sorry I missed the reference under picture perfect display, I was looking at the spec. sheet.

This HDMI v1.3 you speak of, would/could it be a software upgradeable thing or purely hardware?

h/w. though if u have a 1080p dvi connector, then a dvi to hdmi adaptor might be possible.

That would be dual dvi, with not much available to connect to it, bar a couple of $600- plus graphic cards.

Sorry I missed the reference under picture perfect display, I was looking at the spec. sheet.

yeah, dual link DVI could be one way to get higher resolution out of the acer. The guys in the usa seem to have failed with the benq 3750 over dual link. btw, single link can do 1080p and slightly higher, with reduced blanking interval in the signal. Thats why some PC monitors can do higher res over single link dvi (like dell 24" monitor & westinghouse 37" TV)