Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wiould be most interested in hearing how you go with them. I am a bit p!ssed off to hear about the no on-site warranty, as I paid for mine about 2 months ago with 4yrs onsite warranty. I only actually recieved the TV about 3 weeks ago.

I wiould be most interested in hearing how you go with them. I am a bit p!ssed off to hear about the no on-site warranty, as I paid for mine about 2 months ago with 4yrs onsite warranty. I only actually recieved the TV about 3 weeks ago.

Acer has not replied to my email.

Did not put me through to anyone senior on the phone after begging them to do so for a few days now and about 5 phone calls over approx 4 hours.

I spoke to consumer affairs today via phone.

The bloke was shocked when I told him they are not honouring the On Site warranty.

Said that even if they had some sort of condition on the warranty that would not hold up in any way and that they are pursuing traders for that type of thing.

He told me to make an online complaint to get the ball rolling.

If they cannot offer me the on site warranty that was an important part of my purchase decision I would like a refund.

Terrible service; truly astounding!

And I am now with out a tv for up to 2 weeks; and who knows if they will be able to fix my set.

One of the problems I am not even sure that they can fix; the horizontal scrolling lines.

I bought an Acer at3705-MGW about 1 month ago, and i'm absolutely loving the TV, although i'm having a problem getting a decent brightness/contrast/color combination happening.

Right now i've got it on Brightness - 72, Contrast - 50, Colour - 50, but many TV shows and commercials that have A LOT of white in the image pretty much drowns out everything else in the picture, and all other shades (greys, etc..) can barely be seen at all because of the extreme amount of white.

Does anyone have a good combination they use at all? Or is there some sort of free calibration software DVD i can download and use?

Any information at all is very much appreciated. Thank you :)

You can dounload from acer euro ftp site

ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/home-ente...T3705/software/

Hi,

I bought a Acer AT3705-MGW TV a year ago.

The TV is working Ok but the MGW has trouble on playing some files.

Specially divx files

Some of the divx files with avi extension plays but stops or struck in the middle.

Some says format does not supported.

Files with divx extension even not listed on the TV. When you browse to a folder where you have a file with divx extension. it show nothing in that folder in the TV.

Does any one has the same problem?

Dose any one know any limitation in divx format?

When I call Highpoint (Acer support) they simply says not all files will play. When I bug them again and again finally they said this TV was manufactured in 2005 and codec installed on this TV is old so they says this will not support any files encorder with new version of codec.

Finally the offer me for a full refund

I asked them whether a firmware update will solve this. They say no

My firmware version is 1.06 and now the latest is 1.24

Any suggestions ?

The only 2 TV came with MGW one is acer 3705 and another is benq

Doesn’t any one know any other MGW TV’s?

Or equivalent technologies?

With this MGW streaming technology we can share movies and photos for more than one TV (MGW TV) using one computer.

But the new media centers we need a computer / media center attached to one TV

You inputs are much appreciated

Thanks

Finally the offer me for a full refund

Who did you speak to at Acer that offered you a refund?

What phone number are you phoning?

I am trying to get through to someone senior at Acer because the techies are the worst I have experienced; and that includes some bad ones in Indian call centres.

My advice is take the refund and run like crazy.

There are so many reasons that this television is not worth having; and the terrible service is a major one.

Did you buy your television thinking it has on site warranty?

If so be very careful because Acer does not want to honour this any more.

Who did you speak to at Acer that offered you a refund?

What phone number are you phoning?

I am trying to get through to someone senior at Acer because the techies are the worst I have experienced; and that includes some bad ones in Indian call centres.

My advice is take the refund and run like crazy.

There are so many reasons that this television is not worth having; and the terrible service is a major one.

Did you buy your television thinking it has on site warranty?

If so be very careful because Acer does not want to honour this any more.

I know the service is very poor I have had this TV at repair centre for about 3 weeks last December. But when it came back nothing g was fixed.

I had issue with MGW specially divx format. Initially they said this is a limitation and nothing can be done for this. After long now I thought to take this issue to ACCC as a misleading conduct. (saying the product doesn’t work as advertised)

As the first step I email the letter to high point service and CC to Acer Managing Director. Then I got a call from a manager from High point saying that they will give a full refund since this will not meet my expectation.

But since this is the only TV with MGW I don’t want to loose this. Do you have the same unit? How does this work for you? Does all divx files work for you? For me some are not working and files with divx extensions are not even recognized by the TV (not listed there)

I’m thinking to get a refund and but the same again bcos when I bought it was $3200 now it is $2200.

I know the service is very poor I have had this TV at repair centre for about 3 weeks last December. But when it came back nothing g was fixed.

I had issue with MGW specially divx format. Initially they said this is a limitation and nothing can be done for this. After long now I thought to take this issue to ACCC as a misleading conduct. (saying the product doesn’t work as advertised)

As the first step I email the letter to high point service and CC to Acer Managing Director. Then I got a call from a manager from High point saying that they will give a full refund since this will not meet my expectation.

But since this is the only TV with MGW I don’t want to loose this. Do you have the same unit? How does this work for you? Does all divx files work for you? For me some are not working and files with divx extensions are not even recognized by the TV (not listed there)

I’m thinking to get a refund and but the same again bcos when I bought it was $3200 now it is $2200.

Is Highpoint service centre owned by Acer; or is it a third party repairer.

I would like a number to phone to speak to a manager.

Could you please PM me the email address of the Acer MD?

It would be VERY much appreciated.

Also, I do have the MGW model as well.

I originally did have it working over wireless; then it stopped functioning.

Set it up to work with cables; and it seemed alright.

Lately I have found that it continually freezes and I have given up on using it; just use my divx dvd player.

Either way there are so many problems with this set that I want my money back too.

Honizontal scrolling lines

Media centre not working properly

Back light leakage

Remote working randomly

Set switching on by intself

etc......

Is Highpoint service centre owned by Acer; or is it a third party repairer.

I would like a number to phone to speak to a manager.

Could you please PM me the email address of the Acer MD?

It would be VERY much appreciated.

Also, I do have the MGW model as well.

I originally did have it working over wireless; then it stopped functioning.

Set it up to work with cables; and it seemed alright.

Lately I have found that it continually freezes and I have given up on using it; just use my divx dvd player.

Either way there are so many problems with this set that I want my money back too.

Honizontal scrolling lines

Media centre not working properly

Back light leakage

Remote working randomly

Set switching on by intself

etc......

I'm not sure whether its 3rd party or part of acer but it seems 3rd party

They asked me to not to publish their direct contact

May I know your firmvare version please.

and when you say divx is that files with avi extension or divx extension.

Could you please check a file with divx extension and please let me know whether it is listed on the TV.

when i add a file with divx extension that doesnt list up on the TV it just show the folder as empty.

Thanks

Edited by Nedums

ACER/TELEFIX service - you think you've had problems.

I could write a book on the experience i have just had!

Well, it has been some time that we have been putting up with this annoying "losing channel issue" (post 1527 -April) and as Zanoni pointed out, it did get worse to the point where i decided to send it in.

Mentioning the "limited onsite warranty" I got the answer that paragraph 3 in the warranty states "These locations are subject to change without notice" ie we don't do onsite warranty.

They told me it would take 3 days, ended up being 6 weeks. Was not happy Jan! Called weekly, different BS story told each time.

Got it back Friday and so far so good. Probably too early to tell.

The report says they changed the main board and the dgital cpu board.

The Appc FW is now V2.002 and DTV is V1.12.

A couple of differences noticed immediately

1. If a channel with weak signal is selected it doesn't lock up but shows "weak or missing signal" and another can be selected.

2. Re-ordering the channels changes the channel # ie moving 71 to 3 changes the # to 3 - it used to stay as 71.

I have have always thought the panel on this tv was pretty good, it was just that the tuner let it down. Hopefully thats now been fixed.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers.

I was using the 3705 with my desktop computer that had an Nvidia 6600 in it. I had played around with custom timings and came up with one that seemed to do 1920x1080 30Hz in interlaced mode (60i?). It worked really well and I've been using it for many months as my computer monitor. Oh and this is through DVI as well.

I've just built a new computer with a Nvidia 8600GTS in it. I wanted to be able to play 1080i content from this since I've got a HD videocam. The old computer couldn't manage this, only 720p. Well surprise, surprise I can't get it to work properly. In fact playing around with it is so unreliable that I've had to plug an old VGA monitor in as well since I keep losing the screen and it doesn't reset back sometimes (very frustrating). I have all the settings from the other computer, but the new drivers seem to do the advanced timing differently and not all the numbers match.

Any suggestions? Trying to find info in this thread is difficult, though I know it is here since that's where I got the info originally. I don't care about 1080p, I just want 1080i which I know works with the old computer. Using the HDMI port isn't preferable since the HD tuner is running through that.

It is most frustrating. I'm currently using component out, but that looks terrible and can't seem to maintain consistent brightness and desktop resize settings.

Well I may have found the solution myself. At least it is holding up so far. I found these settings on another forum for the 3705:

"1 Horizontal desktop pixels: 1920

Vertical desktop lines: 1080

GDI Refresh rate: 60

Bits per pixel: 32

(don't have "Interlaced" checked)

2. Click [Advanced >>]

Under "Back-end parameters":

Timing standard: GTF -> using this as i have 8800GTX card

Desired refresh rate: 30

(the rest of the fields are grayed out)

3. Under "Front-end paramers"

Scaling type: Display (none)"

I found when you hit "test" the screen was still blurry. But accept the settings and then change to them though display properties and voila! 1920X1080 and not blurry. The test button is misleading. It isn't the same as with the 6600 settings somehow (when you drag windows around it looks... wierd). But it's fine otherwise. So far.

Hopefully this will help other 3705 owners who have GF8 cards. The settings above came from "nullassult" on the Nvidia forums.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

These are the versions of firmware I have, I am just a little confused what firmware is what. Can someone confirm which one is for what (ie. Analog, Digital, Media Gateway)

AppC : VWA7_AU_AUO37_V1.001

Boot:OpaB_01_C1-VE7

DTV:DVWA7_AU_V1.000

MGW : ver 2.0.0-132 (found in MGW settings)

Assume the AppC is for Analog which I dont use, DTV is obvious and MGW is obvious. Looks like my ATV an DTV firmwares are very old. What about the MGW? I can only find ver 1.2.7 for the MGW?????

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with this unit experienced something similar to burn in?

After watching the cricket I noticed a purple shadow of the score in the top left of the screen. I also noticed vertical bars of purple.

I sent the unit back to Highpoint but as usual they didn't look at it properly.

Is burn in possible on an LCD or is it something else wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers.

I was using the 3705 with my desktop computer that had an Nvidia 6600 in it. I had played around with custom timings and came up with one that seemed to do 1920x1080 30Hz in interlaced mode (60i?). It worked really well and I've been using it for many months as my computer monitor. Oh and this is through DVI as well.

I've just built a new computer with a Nvidia 8600GTS in it. I wanted to be able to play 1080i content from this since I've got a HD videocam. The old computer couldn't manage this, only 720p. Well surprise, surprise I can't get it to work properly. In fact playing around with it is so unreliable that I've had to plug an old VGA monitor in as well since I keep losing the screen and it doesn't reset back sometimes (very frustrating). I have all the settings from the other computer, but the new drivers seem to do the advanced timing differently and not all the numbers match.

Any suggestions? Trying to find info in this thread is difficult, though I know it is here since that's where I got the info originally. I don't care about 1080p, I just want 1080i which I know works with the old computer. Using the HDMI port isn't preferable since the HD tuner is running through that.

It is most frustrating. I'm currently using component out, but that looks terrible and can't seem to maintain consistent brightness and desktop resize settings.

I can't believe this thread is still going hehe..Bugeater I recently updated my driver and somehow managed to fudge the Nvidia settings to accept 1080p again.

Lat week I updated my card to an 8500GT and could not for the life of me get it working. I ended up adding a few lines into the registry to re enable the old Nvidia settings front end.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies]

"DevPolicies"=dword:00000000

"ModePolicies"=dword:00000000

"ModePersist_GPU:0_Mode:0"=hex:00,00,00,00,40,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

"LutPersistDesktop_GPU:0_Head:0"=hex:00,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,\

00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,64,00,00,\

"LutPersistFSVM_GPU:0"=hex:00,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,47,00,00,00,47,00,00,00,5a,\

"ContextUIPolicy"=dword:00000001

"CplGroupUIPolicy"=dword:00000001

"TaskbarUIPolicy"=dword:00000001

Add the above to a blank text file then save as oldnvidiafrontend.reg. Then double click on the file and it will ask you to add to registry. Say yes and Robert's your mother's brother. Do do a system restore point before this, though..

Bugeater, 1080p is so much better on this monitor than 1080i.

One thing I've noticed with this new card is it will not properly do 75hz or 72hz 1080p.. My old 7300gs and 6200 must have been freaks or this one is a bit of a dud..

cheers,