Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

ok easiest way to see if an issue with your setup is

make sure router is set as access point

set 1 computer via wired and set 2nd computer via wireless and see if you can still file share etc

between the 2.

if not working check firewall settings and ensure ip addresses are from the same subnet

I have connected my wireless USB dongle to this computer and made it wireless connection (192.168.05) and i have no trouble file sharing between wireless and wired computers. Makes me think my router is OK.

Is the "Wireless Signal Strength Graph" accurate on the Acer? Mine is showing Full but maybe the graph is not functional, just aesthetic? The Acer is only 10m from the router seperated by one wall.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest obrooks
I have connected my wireless USB dongle to this computer and made it wireless connection (192.168.05) and i have no trouble file sharing between wireless and wired computers. Makes me think my router is OK.

Is the "Wireless Signal Strength Graph" accurate on the Acer? Mine is showing Full but maybe the graph is not functional, just aesthetic? The Acer is only 10m from the router seperated by one wall.

ok looks like your network setup is ok

leave tv on for a few minutes with the media gateway displayed before going to network setup on it

is the below how you are trying to setup at moment ?

1) tv does show your ssid when you select wireless network

2)you are running the acer econsole on a computer when you try to setup tv

3)you currently have have no firewall or wep or mac address restrictions setup on router or comps

if you get working can slowly setup firewalls etc again

if with the above doesnt work i'll wipe my setup and try and redo wireless setup myself to check on issues.

i currently have my network setup with no wep but using mac addresses to restrict connection.

ok looks like your network setup is ok

leave tv on for a few minutes with the media gateway displayed before going to network setup on it

is the below how you are trying to setup at moment ?

1) tv does show your ssid when you select wireless network

2)you are running the acer econsole on a computer when you try to setup tv

3)you currently have have no firewall or wep or mac address restrictions setup on router or comps

if you get working can slowly setup firewalls etc again

if with the above doesnt work i'll wipe my setup and try and redo wireless setup myself to check on issues.

i currently have my network setup with no wep but using mac addresses to restrict connection.

Thanks for your help obrooks.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Thats right

Tried waiting between each step but still no go!

BTW my MGW Firmware Version is 1.2.14

Guest obrooks
Thanks for your help obrooks.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Thats right

Tried waiting between each step but still no go!

BTW my MGW Firmware Version is 1.2.14

ok i reset mine to factory defaults and reselected network setup

it went fairly straight forward just found the econsole and was fully configured.

my firmware is 1.2.14 as well.

you could try configuring manually by giving a ip out of the ip pool like 192.168.0.4 and i'm guessing

your gateway will be 192.168.0.254

the ip's u listed earlier must be incorrect 192.168.02 is invalid i'm guessing u meant 192.168.0.2

Last week I saw one in JB HiFi in Knox, Vic at $1999. There is also a cash back offer of $149 from Acer currently. This is for the AT3705 DVT model.

Check; http://www.ausprices.com.au/cgi/Search?sta...+3705&cid=0 or http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=at+3705 or http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.asp?kw=a...position=search or http://www.shopferret.com.au/buy/tvs~p-513951.html for prices.

Hello again. There has been a lot of confusion about the set and 1080p so I decided the best bet was simply to wait until the PS3 arrived. I have now seen one connected to an Aust PS3. It looks awesome on 720p but choked on 1080p and Bluray. On 1080p there was red fuzzy wavy lines along the LHS side of the screen and a lot of blocky picture breakup esp with bluray playback. This was via HDMI too so it does transmit 1080p over HDMI after all but the set seems to not cope. the same cable and PS3 and discs were flawless on the Bravia.

Now it may have been just that unit but they are so hard to find here that I can't be bothered any more. I am getting the 40" Sony X series instead. No wifi etc but at least I can watch it.

Hi Hardvark, thanks for confirming that but it would have been useful as well to confirm that Blueray/PS3 plays at 1080i, seeing that most here agree that this is the maximum 'native' resolution for this TV. 1080p is only for computer connections. Perhaps with a Blueray or HD-DVD in the computer things may be different.

Can anyone say that a PS3 or Blueray/HD-DVD player will or will not play on this TV at 1080i or is there someone who has been able to get 1080p with one of these devices?

Hi Hardvark, thanks for confirming that but it would have been useful as well to confirm that Blueray/PS3 plays at 1080i, seeing that most here agree that this is the maximum 'native' resolution for this TV. 1080p is only for computer connections. Perhaps with a Blueray or HD-DVD in the computer things may be different.

Can anyone say that a PS3 or Blueray/HD-DVD player will or will not play on this TV at 1080i or is there someone who has been able to get 1080p with one of these devices?

You can connect the PS3 to this TV for 1080P via component only. It will not support 1080P via HDMI. However, the quality of component 1080P on this set is very poor.

It will support 1080i over HDMI and this can be used for blu ray.

Still, I did not like the fact that this TV does not support 1080P via HDMI and I returned the unit and now have a Sony 40X instead.

Please note that for people willing to waste their time with powerstrip or *some* PC video cards this TV can suppport 1920X1080 or thereabouts via a PC from a DVI to HDMI cable. This is however, NOT 1080P as a standardised signal. This TV does NOT accept 1080P standardised signal which the PS3 outputs.

You can connect the PS3 to this TV for 1080P via component only. It will not support 1080P via HDMI. However, the quality of component 1080P on this set is very poor.

It will support 1080i over HDMI and this can be used for blu ray.

Still, I did not like the fact that this TV does not support 1080P via HDMI and I returned the unit and now have a Sony 40X instead.

Please note that for people willing to waste their time with powerstrip or *some* PC video cards this TV can suppport 1920X1080 or thereabouts via a PC from a DVI to HDMI cable. This is however, NOT 1080P as a standardised signal. This TV does NOT accept 1080P standardised signal which the PS3 outputs.

Wrong!

I've managed to set it to display 1080P, all you need to do is in you PS3, manually set the display output to 1080P and the TV WILL take it.

Wrong!

I've managed to set it to display 1080P, all you need to do is in you PS3, manually set the display output to 1080P and the TV WILL take it.

I've tried it on half a dozen Tvs so I am correct.

Post images of your TV with the signal display and the version of software on the panel. I understand the UK model will take 1080P but the AU model will not.

Post images of your TV with the signal display and the version of software on the panel. I understand the UK model will take 1080P but the AU model will not.

Why do you keep insisting that this TV won't take 1080p over HDMI?

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=588144

This TV will accept a 1080p signal from a PS3. You just have to manually set the output to 1080p in the display settings of the PS3. If you leave it to auto-detect it will revert to 720p.

This TV will accept a 1080p signal from a PS3. You just have to manually set the output to 1080p in the display settings of the PS3. If you leave it to auto-detect it will revert to 720p.

Wow what a revolution :blink:. Im suuuure we've had these discussions now 4 or 5 times in the last 20-30 pages. :D So it receives the input ok, with slight underscan from the more recent discussions. In the end though didn't fobfob waaaay back stipulate that Bluray movie playback was sub-par in that it couldnt hold down a decent frame-rate on this panel? Maybe Im confused and wrong but whats the bluray movie playback @1080p like for you amalibun?

As discussed his TV has the UK software in it. The Australian model, of which I have tested several units, does NOT display 1080P.

As discussed his TV has the UK software in it. The Australian model, of which I have tested several units, does NOT display 1080P.

My friends will take 1080p over HDMI but it is sporratic in motion.

The picture quality in 1080i on a stationary image is identical to 1080p so it's no big deal.

But I must add that controls are far more twitchy in 1080i then they are @ 720p.

The difference in PQ between 720p & 1080 on this set via HDMI (PS3) is so insignificant that 720p is the best setting to use period.

720p over HDMI looks much better than 1080p over component.

Picture sharpness controls for HDMI can be adjusted by tweaking the sharpness for the component settings. The sharpness settings for component are used by the HDMI channel.

With regards to some people claiming 1080p over HDMI produces an out of range signal - this is probably true and could be directly related to the firware version on your set.

My friends will take 1080p over HDMI but it is sporratic in motion.

The picture quality in 1080i on a stationary image is identical to 1080p so it's no big deal.

I think you'll also find that the image has discolouration on the left side of the panel in the form of dots. The frame rate clearly isn't 60hz as it stutters playing games like GT3 when at 1080i it doesn't.

The difference in PQ between 720p & 1080 on this set via HDMI (PS3) is so insignificant that 720p is the best setting to use period.

Can't agree there. 1080P is twice the resolution of 720P and this is a 1080P panel. When showing the image properly via PC, 1080P does look great. Its just that under the AU firmware it doesn't work on consoles like PS3.

With regards to some people claiming 1080p over HDMI produces an out of range signal - this is probably true and could be directly related to the firware version on your set.

Yes, and as the tech from the repair company for ACER said, the AU firmware does not support 1080P. It's clear that the set has the capability to do it just the firmware doesn't support it. In short, Id avoid this set for next gen gaming.

I think you'll also find that the image has discolouration on the left side of the panel in the form of dots. The frame rate clearly isn't 60hz as it stutters playing games like GT3 when at 1080i it doesn't.

Can't agree there. 1080P is twice the resolution of 720P and this is a 1080P panel. When showing the image properly via PC, 1080P does look great. Its just that under the AU firmware it doesn't work on consoles like PS3.

Yes, and as the tech from the repair company for ACER said, the AU firmware does not support 1080P. It's clear that the set has the capability to do it just the firmware doesn't support it. In short, Id avoid this set for next gen gaming.

Nope, no discolouration at all.

Sporatic or choppy - whats the diff...?

You took the 720p thing out of context...In no way did I make references to PC's at all in my post..?

So the real difference between 720p & 1080p (ps3) is so insignificant when you factor all things (TV scales image anyway & many people probably sit too far back to notice any real diff on this 37"er) and keep this in context. The TV will still scale the image and yes it looks fantastic @ 720.

I would like to know if some of you have found a setting to display 1280*720p @ 60Hz via HDMI without overscan ?

Because 1080p works perfectly but it might be a little too high to play recent games.

Edited by HorcKs.

You took the 720p thing out of context...In no way did I make references to PC's at all in my post..?

So the real difference between 720p & 1080p (ps3) is so insignificant when you factor all things (TV scales image anyway & many people probably sit too far back to notice any real diff on this 37"er) and keep this in context. The TV will still scale the image and yes it looks fantastic @ 720.

Where you sit is irrelevant. Fact is 1080P is nearly twice the resolutuon of 720P. If you can't notice the difference then it's your problem.

I would like to know if some of you have found a setting to display 1280*720p @ 60Hz via HDMI without overscan ?

Because 1080p works perfectly but it might be a little too high to play recent games.

Hey Horcks,

Are u using Nvidia? You can adjust the overscan of course via nvidia advance settings, just as many of us here have done for 1080p for the desktop. Though that wont help your gaming res's. I recall if you go to the display properties on the panel thru windows there is an aspect shift of sorts. One option is with borders, one is hardware scaled one monitor scaled and one other etc. Soz cant remember exactly the title as not at machine at moment.

Anyway, I played with those options and got mixed results when I was having troubles running some games at lower than 1920*1080 resolutions. Try changing those options and see how it affects individual games. For me for some it worked, for others it meant playing with a slight black border around the edge of the screen and compromising with the bordered option in order to see the whole image on-screen. Still, bigger than any regular pc monitor with that :blink:

Cheers,

Gaz.

Hey Horcks,

Are u using Nvidia? You can adjust the overscan of course via nvidia advance settings, just as many of us here have done for 1080p for the desktop. Though that wont help your gaming res's. I recall if you go to the display properties on the panel thru windows there is an aspect shift of sorts. One option is with borders, one is hardware scaled one monitor scaled and one other etc. Soz cant remember exactly the title as not at machine at moment.

Anyway, I played with those options and got mixed results when I was having troubles running some games at lower than 1920*1080 resolutions. Try changing those options and see how it affects individual games. For me for some it worked, for others it meant playing with a slight black border around the edge of the screen and compromising with the bordered option in order to see the whole image on-screen. Still, bigger than any regular pc monitor with that :blink:

Or of course, try going for DVI or VGA to get rid of the over-scan of for gamig.

Cheers,

Gaz.