Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

How true...

However I can confirm one store in WA (Maddington Retro) has the 3705 at $1999, I went and looked at the back of he display model... tis 3705

Wayne, did they have the $1999 sticker on the 3705 when you looked...?

A mate here at work (under my instruction) had one on order last night - spoke to a guy Darren over the phone and confirmed that it was the 3705 he is buying for $1999 + $30 delivery to Wanneroo.

This morning he decided NOT to go ahead due to finances (New house and its set up etc) so he called to place the order into my name. A different guy took teh call this time, Ben. I called ben to give him my details and he went on about meeding a set-top box. Turns out that he was trying to change it to a 3704 and not the 3705.

I argued that they have advertised for $1999 an ACER LCD TV that states 1920x1080 resolution, 12ms response and an HDMI input.....which the 3705 has. Now, the 3704 "boasts" 1366x768 resolution, 8ms response and no HDMI input....

I mentioned that according to section 52 of the Trades Practices Act of 1979 that I am entitled to the product advertised.

I'm now waiting on a call back to see what they say.

Worst comes to worst is that I have a bulldog of a para-legal mate that lives in Cannington, not far from them and he'd be more than happy to go in and have a word with them - he's come across this himself a couple of times... and won out in the end... :blink:

So, did anyone actually SEE a sticker on the 3705 stating that it was $1999.....??

(For an extra bit of ammo)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate here at work (under my instruction) had one on order last night - spoke to a guy Darren over the phone and confirmed that it was the 3705 he is buying for $1999 + $30 delivery to Wanneroo.

This morning he decided NOT to go ahead due to finances (New house and its set up etc) so he called to place the order into my name. A different guy took teh call this time, Ben. I called ben to give him my details and he went on about meeding a set-top box. Turns out that he was trying to change it to a 3704 and not the 3705.

I argued that they have advertised for $1999 an ACER LCD TV that states 1920x1080 resolution, 12ms response and an HDMI input.....which the 3705 has. Now, the 3704 "boasts" 1366x768 resolution, 8ms response and no HDMI input....

I mentioned that according to section 52 of the Trades Practices Act of 1979 that I am entitled to the product advertised.

Worst comes to worst is that I have a bulldog of a para-legal mate that lives in Cannington, not far from them and he'd be more than happy to go in and have a word with them - he's come across this himself a couple of times... and won out in the end... :blink:

So, did anyone actually SEE a sticker on the 3705 stating that it was $1999.....??

Yup, I think Retravision made a giant advert blunder and are now trying to wiggle out. I went and looked at the $1999 set and it was the lower resolution model with non detachable speakers, and was marked as a AT3704. Honestly, in the few months prior to my purchasing the AT3705, I was told so many lies, to my face, by incompetent and disinterested salespeople that I was astounded. Instead of knowing about pixels most were off living with the pixies. This forum was the only place to get any TRUE info.

... Instead of knowing about pixels most were off living with the pixies. ...

Cute!

A couple of things re the TPA:

I can't put my finger on the details, but I think there are two "get out of jail" cards for retailers under the TPA. One may be along the lines of -- they can't be held to an unreasonable deal. The other may be along the lines of -- they can't be held to a deal which the buyer knows is sus.

Also -- and this is NOT a defence under the TPA -- remember that a contract is enforcable after offer and acceptance; but a sales contract is the buyer offering to buy followed by the seller accepting the offer to buy; i.e. if the seller hasn't accepted an offer to buy and realises they made a mistake, they can lawfully refuse to sell even if the buyer is waving the money under their nose saying "I want to buy".

Adrian

A couple of things re the TPA:

I can't put my finger on the details, but I think there are two "get out of jail" cards for retailers under the TPA. One may be along the lines of -- they can't be held to an unreasonable deal. The other may be along the lines of -- they can't be held to a deal which the buyer knows is sus.

Also -- and this is NOT a defence under the TPA -- remember that a contract is enforcable after offer and acceptance; but a sales contract is the buyer offering to buy followed by the seller accepting the offer to buy; i.e. if the seller hasn't accepted an offer to buy and realises they made a mistake, they can lawfully refuse to sell even if the buyer is waving the money under their nose saying "I want to buy".

Adrian

Just to add a little to this - I'm dredging up contracts law that I haven't drawn on for a while, but I believe that an advertisement is not an 'offer' in contractual terms, but an 'invitation to treat'. So just because you have what appears to be an offer in the form of the advertisement, does not mean that you can enforce a contract simply by accepting the advert. All you're doing when accepting an invitation to treat is entering into negotiations that result in offer and acceptance (which form the basis of a binding contract). As Ajax points out, the seller can opt not to accept your offer, and not sell. This doesn't breach any laws. Sometimes, a retailer may decide to sell a product that has been mistakenly advertised but they are not obligated to do so - they're basically doing this to keep in good with the customer, not because they have to.

In relation to the TPA, I'm not terribly familiar with it myself, but I'm guessing there would be some sort of loophole that an error made in good faith does not bind a retailer. Ajax sounds like he is aware of specifics, though, and the two examples he gives would probably be enough that retravision didn't have to go through with the sale.

Take it to the ACCC... but by the time you get a ruling you'll be able to buy the 3705 for $1899 anywhere.... :blink:

I think it's interesting case though. It's not a contract but the TPA definitely covers this somewhere.

Here's one section of the TPA that may or may not be relevant. The rest is here.

Yes, but the knowledge can still help.

The ACCC or a state Department of Fair Trading will not be interested too much if a retailer has made a genuine mistake, especially if it turns out that the prospective buyer knows of the mistake. If the retailer was using "bait advertising", it is a different matter, this is illegal under s.56 of the TPA.

BUT

If a buyer goes into a store that has the 3705 advertised at $1999, the buyer asks a question such as "Is the sale price on the 1920x1080 Acer 3705 LCD TV really $1999", gets a positive answer, then offers to buy the product at that price (or haggles for a lower one :-), then the retailer accepts that offer to buy, the retailer will have a damn hard time wiggling out of it -- firstly there is a legally binding contract due to offer and acceptance, secondly they cannot claim the buyer was being devious as the buyer made a reasonable effort to clarify the specific price of the specific product, and thirdly there is the "If you, the retailer, try to rescind this purchase, I, the buyer, will scream that you engaged in false and misleading conduct" back-up argument.

Adrian

A bit more info...

We spoke to the originale sales guy this morning.

The deal was that the mate here that organised his TV through this salesguy on the Monday had him log onto the Acer website and read out the model number and specs of the TV to him, over the phone. He confirmed that

the TV ordered was a 3705 and had a resolution of 1920x1080.

He even mentioned that they had been having other stores calling them to see if they could get hold of their stock of the 3705 as they seemed to be the only ones with enough.

However when I called to make the purchase the next morning with a different salesperson, it was now a 3704 and according to the new salesguy was never a 3705.

Anyhow... we have no hard proof as to what was ordered or not, but the best price they could come up with was $2299 delivered.

Will wait till the prices come down further.

(The legal mate is writing a letter to the head office.. who know what, if anything will come of that. I'll not hold my breath)

I have had my MGW for a few months now and overall still very happy.

Having one new problem though.

When I first try to connect to my computer through the MGW it does not find the server, never had the problem before.

I usually need to reboot my computer, switch the tv on and off ad eventually I get it going.

One time I had to redo the whole network WEP settings and all to get it to work.

I also recently got a new computer and I am having the same problem still.

Does anybody else have this problem.

Yup swivlled it around and was 3705 and Price tag on the Right Corener " As Advertised $1999.00 "

So some seem to have stuffed some dont

Hiyas,

For any of the people that have had the newer TV firmware installed (not the MGW firmware), have they made it possible to select discreet inputs from a universal remote control?

I'm still struggling with my Logitech Harmony 880 (TV f/w 1.06) where I have to go SCART, AV, AV, AVI to get to Component 1, or SCART, PC, PC to get to the DVI connection. If I don't do the extra steps and I change from Foxtel to DVD (switched by the receiver to a common TV input), it ends up all over the shop.

I know this was discussed right back at the start of the thread, but was several months ago, before the advent of the 1.09 and 1.11 firmware releases.

Failing that, does anyone have a recommendation for a different Universal Remote? :blink:

Tim

Should I buy a AT3705?????? Or wait???

I have a HTPC that willbe connected up to it with a nvidia 5200.

It seems to be the only screen that actually has everything that I want.

DVI and HDMI both with HDCP, native 1080p res.

I have not seen the screen in the flesh though, I have seen the 32" Acer version.

Do the screens differ much in PQ? I was very pleased to see the Acer stand up to both the Sony and Sharp screen. In my opion even better looking that the LG and Samsung (was last model Samsung though)

Digital TV is finally going to be available early next month for me and I'd be great to get the screen before then, but would I be better off waiting for some more 1080p screen to hit the market?

Does anyone know if that is likley to be soon? and what sort of price they will be at?

The best price I can get the At3705 for is $2550.. Retravision can only do $2750 here (maybe can get a bitmore off.

Hiyas,

For any of the people that have had the newer TV firmware installed (not the MGW firmware), have they made it possible to select discreet inputs from a universal remote control?

I'm still struggling with my Logitech Harmony 880 (TV f/w 1.06) where I have to go SCART, AV, AV, AVI to get to Component 1, or SCART, PC, PC to get to the DVI connection. If I don't do the extra steps and I change from Foxtel to DVD (switched by the receiver to a common TV input), it ends up all over the shop.

I know this was discussed right back at the start of the thread, but was several months ago, before the advent of the 1.09 and 1.11 firmware releases.

Failing that, does anyone have a recommendation for a different Universal Remote? :blink:

Tim

Don't think firmware will give discreet inputs. I use an mx-500 and just use a macro to step thru till I get to input I need. works ok.

I have not seen the screen in the flesh though, I have seen the 32" Acer version.

Do the screens differ much in PQ? I was very pleased to see the Acer stand up to both the Sony and Sharp screen. In my opion even better looking that the LG and Samsung (was last model Samsung though)

Digital TV is finally going to be available early next month for me and I'd be great to get the screen before then, but would I be better off waiting for some more 1080p screen to hit the market?

Does anyone know if that is likley to be soon? and what sort of price they will be at?

The best price I can get the At3705 for is $2550.. Retravision can only do $2750 here (maybe can get a bitmore off.

Mrayner there is more to Picture Qaulity that pure resolution my freind, I have seen the AT3705 and BENQ equivelant side by side witha bunch of other lCDS playing different and the same sources, (2 weeks ago) and eneded up walking away with a 1366x768 res hitachi which seriously blew both of the "True 1920x1080" units away its the panel where its made and more importantly the electronics porcessing behind the LCD are just as important...

But in the end go look yourself and make a decision with your own eyes, personally the 3705 for HDTV viewing (actual HDTV program I took my own player and source to test Helioxs X5000 with 1080i version of Starwars Ep 1) looked rather average compared to the Htachi and Toshiba and Phillips unit all of which have much lower res, but better processing..

I have seen the AT3705 and BENQ equivelant side by side witha bunch of other lCDS playing different and the same sources, (2 weeks ago) and eneded up walking away with a 1366x768 res hitachi which seriously blew both of the "True 1920x1080" units away its the panel where its made and more importantly the electronics porcessing behind the LCD are just as important...

Were they all displaying a digital 1080p recording via a digital input though??

Can someone please give me the dimentions of the TV without the speakers on the side??

And also the dimentions the actual footprint of the stand needs to sit on??

Thanks

Hi,

I'm from England.I never bought a TV before without actually seeing an actual unit.I bought this model in April on internet after reading through this forum.It is really good value for money although I paid much more than you could get in Australia.With Sky HD box SD channels are in 576p and HD in 1080i.No dead pixel,no horizontal line,no switching on itself problem and very good picture quality.

If you want somethig else go for Pioneer PDP-5000EX,50" 1080P plasma with DVI&2HDMI(HDCP) inputs.But big pocket.

Eze

Hello all, atfer reading the 59 pages of this thread i've gone out and bought the acer 3705 dtv version. Cost me $2400 at Retravision in Perth.

Just wondering if there is any chance this TV will not display 1080p from a PS3 when it comes out? Or will we just have to wait and see?

Hello all, atfer reading the 59 pages of this thread i've gone out and bought the acer 3705 dtv version. Cost me $2400 at Retravision in Perth.

Just wondering if there is any chance this TV will not display 1080p from a PS3 when it comes out? Or will we just have to wait and see?

Apparently it definitely will over component, but we'll have to see as far as HDMI goes.

Damn thats a great price, I put a deposit down for one last Thursday and payed $2500 for the 3705 DTV at Retravision.

Was yours a Refurb or Brand New?

What are my chances of getting it for $2400 now that I left a $500 deposit?

Cheers

WRC

Well I just upgraded my DVD player to a HDMI Pionner one.

What a difference the HDMI makes this TV rocks.

I have had the TV since before the world cup and was previoulsu using componnent leads I have the 3705 DTV.

I have had no issues with my TV and I do not see any point in playing with getting the firmware upgraded...as they say "dont fix what aint broke"

The unit was brand new, we actually bought 3 as two guys at work wanted one as well. When i went in to pay the deposit the salesman seemed seriously bummed to be selling the tv's at this price. It was from Retravision in Malaga for any others wanting to purchase one.

I had a glance at the screen when he was crunching the numbers, i thought i saw a cost price of $2200 to retravison. Does that seem reasonable?

Looks like I scored well today....

I have an AT3705-DTV sitting in one of the Retravision stores at the "right" price and am looking to pick-up today (Don't want it delivered as I want to make sure it is the exact right model).

I need to know the dimensions of the box it comes in to make sure I can fit it in the car....!

Cany anyone that has recently purchased on let me know the packaging dimensions...??

Looks like I scored well today....

I have an AT3705-DTV sitting in one of the Retravision stores at the "right" price and am looking to pick-up today (Don't want it delivered as I want to make sure it is the exact right model).

I need to know the dimensions of the box it comes in to make sure I can fit it in the car....!

Cany anyone that has recently purchased on let me know the packaging dimensions...??

Hmm.. I couldn't tell you the exact size of the box but I should warn you IT'S MASSIVE. I have a Mazda 3 Hatch which has one of the biggest boots in it's class and it JUST fit in both in width and length. So unless you've got a decent sized hatch or wagon forget it.

At a guess I'd say the box is:

2m long

1.3m wide

.5m high

Someone might be able to clarify that, but it's huge and a two man job to move.

Does anyone know if Acer are still doing the on-site upgrades of the firmware? My refurbished model (v1.09) has the sync and left hand side border issue on channel 10 and I'd like it fixed up. I really don't want to have to take this thing to a service centre.

Cheers.

Hmm.. I couldn't tell you the exact size of the box but I should warn you IT'S MASSIVE. I have a Mazda 3 Hatch which has one of the biggest boots in it's class and it JUST fit in both in width and length. So unless you've got a decent sized hatch or wagon forget it.

At a guess I'd say the box is:

2m long

1.3m wide

.5m high

Someone might be able to clarify that, but it's huge and a two man job to move.

Does anyone know if Acer are still doing the on-site upgrades of the firmware? My refurbished model (v1.09) has the sync and left hand side border issue on channel 10 and I'd like it fixed up. I really don't want to have to take this thing to a service centre.

Cheers.

Bugger... I have a Eunos500 and the seats don't fold forward. The wife has an older Honda Accord that has folding seats, but not sure if it would fit in otherwise....

May haveto be a ute job over the weekend (would have been nice to grab today...)