Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

For ALL and Sundry according to my Loacla Rep who confirmed his order Retravision will be selling the AT3705 (not MGW) in their next catalogue for $1999.00..

They have 6 on order at Gosnells WA August 8th (or 6th cant rememebr) expected..

Warehouse (main one) tried to tell him they were 3704's But rep checked his orders and said he defintiley ordered 3705s, as they aready have stock of 3704's

Just checked thier catalogue. It is definitly the new model pictured. It doesn't have removeable speakers and it's resolution is only 1366x768, and it only has a single analogue tuner - no digital tuner. Talk about going backwards in technology!! :blink:

Oh, and someone might be able to confirm thier warranty. I beleive they now may only be for 12 months.

So if you can still get the AT3705 model, you will be better off. And if you can get it for $1999... you'll be laughing for at least a year :D

Dave.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you can still get the AT3705 model, you will be better off. And if you can get it for $1999... you'll be laughing for at least a year :D

Dave.

An ex demo went on ebay for ~$1800 last week. I'm spewing 'cause I got one for $2125 the week before :blink:

An ex demo went on ebay for ~$1800 last week. I'm spewing 'cause I got one for $2125 the week before :blink:

Yep, and I got the one after that for $2020. Oh well. Looks like the next one could be a REAL bargain.

Still - better than paying $2600.

Yep, and I got the one after that for $2020. Oh well. Looks like the next one could be a REAL bargain.

Still - better than paying $2600.

This is true, you have to buy it sometime. At least this way I could pick it up, make sure it was in good nick and had no dead/bright pixels.

Just checked thier catalogue. It is definitly the new model pictured. It doesn't have removeable speakers and it's resolution is only 1366x768, and it only has a single analogue tuner - no digital tuner. Talk about going backwards in technology!! :blink:

I have just read a Retravision catalogue and can confirm 1366x768 resolution. Looking at the picture of the unit it is clearly not an AT3705 and the speakers don't look detatchable.

Ok this is weird, straight off the Acer site:

"Q: Can the TV receive and display high definition signals that are broadcasted "over the air" by my local TV stations without any additional hardware.

A: Yes. The digital tuner is compatible with OTA (over the air) high definition digital broadcast. This is sometimes called OFF-AIR HDTV or terrestrial HDTV."

http://www.acersupport.com.au/synapse/form...=&areaid=12

I thought this tuner was SD only, whenever I tune into a HD channel I get the sound only. What the hell?

FYI : I have the "rare" 1.08 firmware version (MGW). This does NOT turn on the TV after 17 or whatever number of hours. Didn't encounter any other probs with it either, apart from it not remembering tweak settings (channel +/-), which seems to be normal after a complete power down (switch at the back).

I guess someone has to find the "save settings" for that matter. :blink:

Guest Kirool

"Q: Can the TV receive and display high definition signals that are broadcasted "over the air" by my local TV stations without any additional hardware.

A: Yes. The digital tuner is compatible with OTA (over the air) high definition digital broadcast. This is sometimes called OFF-AIR HDTV or terrestrial HDTV."

I thought this tuner was SD only, whenever I tune into a HD channel I get the sound only. What the hell?

G'day down under. I'm french and new to this forum. I have to say, I read carefully all the post and it decided me to buy this Unit few months ago.

One question regarding OZ HDTV, is it MPEG2 or MPEG 4

During the world cup, they made some broadcasting tests in Digital HDTV in France. The standard is MPEG4 and the TV couldn't handle it. I m refering to your quote from acer website.

very good forum, many thanks to all contributors

cheers

kirool

G'day down under. I'm french and new to this forum. I have to say, I read carefully all the post and it decided me to buy this Unit few months ago.

One question regarding OZ HDTV, is it MPEG2 or MPEG 4

During the world cup, they made some broadcasting tests in Digital HDTV in France. The standard is MPEG4 and the TV couldn't handle it. I m refering to your quote from acer website.

very good forum, many thanks to all contributors

cheers

kirool

The standard here is mpeg2, although I would have expected that the internal tuner in the euro model would have been designed to support local standards - is the French adoption of mpeg4, a relatively recent occurence? Do other european countries use mpeg2 for their transmissions?

Wat I got from it, is that -for Holland anyway- the digital tuner is useless because there's no unscrambled HD transmission, nor is there any means for descrambling in the Acer (similar to a CAM (Common Access Module) with CI (Common Interface) card).

Also note this Q&A, right under the one you mentioned :

Q: Can I plug my digital cable or digital satallite directly into the digital tuner.

A: No, digital tuner cannot descramble the digital cable or digital satallite signal.

The customer must still route digital cable or digital satallite through a setup box/receiver.

This would be true for sure. However, how in the world to "tune" otherwise ? ...

IMO the only means would be real OTA, which just does not exist in HD ... not in these parts of the world. Note that OTA would not mean satellite in this case (needs am external decoder for sure).

Besides that, what I understand is that normal (SD) analogue OTA transmissions, overhere will stop completely this autumn.

Lastly, all digital MPEG2 transmissions will turn into MPEG4 (H.264) sooner or later. For the Acer IMO that doesn't matter since it doesn't decode either MPEG2 or MPEG4. The MGW version virtually does, but it's the PC software doing it.

If anyone can make good use of the HD digital tuner he's welcome to show off. :D

As long as that's not happening, the HD tuner is a hoax. :blink:

Lastly, all digital MPEG2 transmissions will turn into MPEG4 (H.264) sooner or later. For the Acer IMO that doesn't matter since it doesn't decode either MPEG2 or MPEG4. The MGW version virtually does, but it's the PC software doing it.

Both the DTV and MGW versions have the same tuner. It is capable of decoding MPEG2 at SD resolutions. In Australia we mainly have MPEG2 SD (720x576) digital OTA transmission. I use the inbuilt tuner to watch that.

Unfortunately, due mainly to pressure by certain OTA industry media players, our HD transmissions are in MPEG2 and therefore chew a lot of bandwidth. Despite this, the bandwidth allocated is still not enough for good HD picture. Only a small portion of OTA is transmitted in HD at the moment, and some channels use a loophole in the rules to transmit progressive SD instead.

Hi Everybody,

please, help me. I have got a TV Type AT3705-MGW. I turned off the TV while looking for the Mediasyncserver. Since that time the MGW-Mode doesn't switch. I did "Factory Reset", but the MGW-Mode doesn't answer. How is MGW to be reseted, how can I do it.

I have just read a Retravision catalogue and can confirm 1366x768 resolution. Looking at the picture of the unit it is clearly not an AT3705 and the speakers don't look detatchable.

Guys Just got the Retravision Ad in the Saturdays West Australia and it Clearly shows 2 MODELS of ACER ...

And it States the AT3705 1920x1080 Resolution $1999.00

and the AT3705-MGW $2999.00

Scans Attached Tell me Im wrong ?

Sorry for the size of the files (3mb each) but couldnt get teh specs in at a lower res..

Acer 3705 MGW $2999

Acer 3705 $1999

The unit pictured for $2999 is a 3705.

The unit pictured for $1999 is not a 3705. It is the same unit on page 12 of a recent Retravision catalogue which states that the resloution of that display is 1366x768. I suspect the specs on the above picture next to the $1999 unit are a stuff up.

Actually with all the streaming Id say the $2999.00 is the the MGW...

As to the Add well thats what they say 1920 x 1080, I rang my local store back (on Saturday) and he came back and Confirmed the model # on their display unit at $1999 was indeed the 3705.... So they may well have just stuffed the pic up...

Wayne

Actually with all the streaming Id say the $2999.00 is the the MGW...

As to the Add well thats what they say 1920 x 1080, I rang my local store back (on Saturday) and he came back and Confirmed the model # on their display unit at $1999 was indeed the 3705.... So they may well have just stuffed the pic up...

Wayne

But there is a problem, according to your theory the MGW is $1000 more than the non-MGW. The gap in price is much more than RRP would suggest. And if they were trying to get rid of one of them I would have thought it would be the MGW first.

The pic and price of the MGW model shown seems about right. I don't know what the head office think the 1999 one is, but certainly the text seems to indicate a 3705, even though the picture doesn't.

I guess it all depends on what you can convince your local store :blink: Good luck, that's a killer price...

But there is a problem, according to your theory the MGW is $1000 more than the non-MGW. The gap in price is much more than RRP would suggest. And if they were trying to get rid of one of them I would have thought it would be the MGW first.

The pic and price of the MGW model shown seems about right. I don't know what the head office think the 1999 one is, but certainly the text seems to indicate a 3705, even though the picture doesn't.

I guess it all depends on what you can convince your local store :blink: Good luck, that's a killer price...

I've seen the $1999 one, it's an AT3704, lower reso, half the salepeople wouldn't know the difference between an AT3705 and a bicycle pump.

I've seen the $1999 one, it's an AT3704, lower reso, half the salepeople wouldn't know the difference between an AT3705 and a bicycle pump.

How true...

However I can confirm one store in WA (Maddington Retro) has the 3705 at $1999, I went and looked at the back of he display model... tis 3705

Akisbandi

Go back to MGW setting ans start again. This should resolve your problem.

Also, make sure you switch ur server on before swirching the TV on. I usually have problems if I do it teh other way round.

GL

I’m afraid you have misunderstood my problem. The MGW is not responding, it can not be turned on at all. If I switch the button on the TV’s remote control, the start screen of MGW does not turn up on the TV. So the card reader and the total function of the MGW is not working on the TV.

The 3001MGW has a reset button, but on this TV version I can not find a reset button. He whole MGW system should be rebooted again.

All the other TV functions work correctly, with the exception of MGW.

akisbandi