Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

Also HDMI cant do 1080p till v1.3 hits town, so rule it out.

A common misconception. ALL versions of HDMI support 1080p. It's simply up the manufacturer to implement it, and most of the time they deem it’s not worth the extra expense.

HDMI 1.3 will introduce many new features (and support for next generation HD audio formats) but 1080p support has been there all along.

Despite speculation in some corners that only the most recent versions of the HDMI spec support 1080p, HDMI Licensing 's Leslie Chard informed me that all versions of the HDMI spec support 1080p video at 60Hz. It is up to the manufacturers of displays and other HDMI compliant devices to include support for 1080p throughout the architecture of the piece- the HDMI receivers, video decoders, video D-A converters, and all the video processing involved must support 1080p throughout. Given that 1080p sources aren't yet on the market, many display manufacturers seemingly have chosen not to absorb the expense in developing 1080p architectures throughout their displays.

http://ultimateavmag.com/news/020506hdmi/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, we don't have any PCs on hand with recent graphics cards.... Mainstream PCs really seem to lack in that area. (compaq, acer, HP etc) We have been slashing prices on all our PCs though so hopefully that means we have a lot of new stuff coming in. (half decent 512mb/80gb etc pc for $491 anyone?)

I don't think it's the PC though, because the PC seems to be able to do it, but the display just doesn't want to accept it. (out of range at anything over 1080i which looks terrible)

It does support a higher res than what was claimed by an acer guy rwo spoke with. 1280x768 is wrong. Thier 81cm went higher than that and this one can go the next res up again. (forgotten the specifics)

It does support a higher res than what was claimed by an acer guy rwo spoke with. 1280x768 is wrong. Thier 81cm went higher than that and this one can go the next res up again. (forgotten the specifics)

Would that be 1366x768 by any chance?

Hi rwo, not exactly sure as I haven't looked for a week or so, but I *think* it did that and then a 14something res. I'm at work on Sat again so I'll check then. Why do you ask?

No reason really. I'm just trying to ascertain what the maximum resultion is, if it's not 1920x1080.

No reason really. I'm just trying to ascertain what the maximum resultion is, if it's not 1920x1080.

Again, guys, don't trust manufacture's claim entirely....

I've been closely following the development over at dvsforum.

If they can do a 37" Benq, i don't see why we can't do its sister brand Acer

Again, guys, don't trust manufacture's claim entirely....

I've been closely following the development over at dvsforum.

If they can do a 37" Benq, i don't see why we can't do its sister brand Acer

I think the Benq can only do 1080i in that thread joker. They 'almost' though they had progressive cracked, but discovered it was scaling :blink:

I think the Benq can only do 1080i in that thread joker. They 'almost' though they had progressive cracked, but discovered it was scaling :blink:

Yeah, i saw it too mybrains :P

but at least one of the guys couldn't tell the difference through scaling anyways..i.e. no flickering...

so, that's just as good...at least u got the full screen filled with kinda right resolution.

Hi guys,

Lots of good news on many fronts!

I went to David Jones in Perth today armed with my Dell Inspiron Laptop, DVI and VGA cables. The main sales person dude helped me connect my laptop to the AT3705-MGW. It syncs at 1080i @ 30Hz! It took a little bit of fiddling for me to get it to work. If you don't change any of the settings it syncs at 1280x768. However, but going into my ATI display properties I forced 1080i through my video card and I got 1920x1200 on the TV. It looked very very good, the display wasn't shakey or blurry. It didn't look as good as my Dell 2405FPW, but it looked good enough!

I played a few of my HDTV divx episodes on it and it looked flawless. Viewing angle was very good, sound from the speakers was OK (not brilliant, but not crap either), and most importantly, PQ was spot on. The sales person then proceeded to plug in an antenna so I could check out the digital picture. Digital tuner was very good for a SD signal. Finally, I won't need a seperate STB to watch TV! Because this TV has both digital and analogue tuners, you can Picture in picture as well. So you can watch sport and the news at the same time. I didn't have time to try PC and TV PIP, but I assume that it'll work nicely as well.

The next best news, David Jones has 10% off ALL LCDs, the Acer included. That knocks the price down to $3329.10. Also, if you purchase using your DJ card, the warranty is automactially extended from 2 years to 5 years at no extra charge. Finally, if you purchase after monday, you're entitled to 5 years interest free! Deal is, 1/3 deposit ($1109.70), then 60 monthly repayments of $36.99. However there is a once off $25 establishment fee, and you must pay $2.95 accounting fees. I'm contemplating selling my Dell 2405FPW monitor to pay for the deposit of this new beast.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll try my best to answer. But I can confirm this monitor can be sync'd at 1920x1200 @ 30Hz using my Dell Inspiron 9200 (Video Card is ATI Radeon 9700 128MB)

Hi guys,

Lots of good news on many fronts!

I went to David Jones in Perth today armed with my Dell Inspiron Laptop, DVI and VGA cables. The main sales person dude helped me connect my laptop to the AT3705-MGW. It syncs at 1080i @ 30Hz! It took a little bit of fiddling for me to get it to work. If you don't change any of the settings it syncs at 1280x768. However, but going into my ATI display properties I forced 1080i through my video card and I got 1920x1200 on the TV. It looked very very good, the display wasn't shakey or blurry. It didn't look as good as my Dell 2405FPW, but it looked good enough!

I played a few of my HDTV divx episodes on it and it looked flawless. Viewing angle was very good, sound from the speakers was OK (not brilliant, but not crap either), and most importantly, PQ was spot on. The sales person then proceeded to plug in an antenna so I could check out the digital picture. Digital tuner was very good for a SD signal. Finally, I won't need a seperate STB to watch TV! Because this TV has both digital and analogue tuners, you can Picture in picture as well. So you can watch sport and the news at the same time. I didn't have time to try PC and TV PIP, but I assume that it'll work nicely as well.

The next best news, David Jones has 10% off ALL LCDs, the Acer included. That knocks the price down to $3329.10. Also, if you purchase using your DJ card, the warranty is automactially extended from 2 years to 5 years at no extra charge. Finally, if you purchase after monday, you're entitled to 5 years interest free! Deal is, 1/3 deposit ($1109.70), then 60 monthly repayments of $36.99. However there is a once off $25 establishment fee, and you must pay $2.95 accounting fees. I'm contemplating selling my Dell 2405FPW monitor to pay for the deposit of this new beast.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll try my best to answer. But I can confirm this monitor can be sync'd at 1920x1200 @ 30Hz using my Dell Inspiron 9200 (Video Card is ATI Radeon 9700 128MB)

Thanks very much for doign and posting this.

Ok. You were using DVI right?

At 1920x1080 you say even at 30hz it was a good pci with moving images? Was it crisp with letters?

What res did you drop down to get 60 and 75hz?

What about an HD input from an STB? Is that only 30hz? (flicker? etc)

Great job Pumbaa!! Thanks!

Now, it's another hope for me :blink:

So maybe now we will be able to get even 1080i@60 sth given a latest video card!

This is the one i'm most interested in....

And when Pumbaa said "it doesn't look as good as my dell 2405FPW", i'm guessing that would be due to the 1920x1200 resolution not being a 1:1 pixel mapping, as opposed to 1920x1080 that would (or be much closer to the native res anyway).

But i guess this is promising none the less, all we need now is for someone with an X1300, X1600, X1800 or X1900 to lug their PC and a dual link DVI cable down there and check out 1920x1080p :blink:

I (and many others) greatly appreciate your hard work here Pumbaa, and I'm even more happier that I now know there is one on display in Perth. Guess where I am heading tommorow :P

Edited by rwo

Thanks very much for doign and posting this.

Ok. You were using DVI right?

At 1920x1080 you say even at 30hz it was a good pci with moving images? Was it crisp with letters?

What about an HD input from an STB? Is that only 30hz? (flicker? etc)

Hi mate, no worries, it was my pleasure. After seeing the TV in my David Jones flyer, and reading this thread I knew I just had to try it out. I connected the laptop to the TV via DVI, I would have tried VGA as well but I was hard pressed with time today. The sales consultant there was VERY friendly, helpful and knowledgable!

At 1920x1080 with 30Hz, the picture still looked razor sharp. It isn't as nice as my Dell monitor, but its not that far off. If I had to give my dell 10, I'd give the Acer 9. The text was crisp, photos looked very life like, and there was no ghosting when I was playing some of my HR divx files.

I didn't even think about dropping the res to get 60Hz or 75Hz. It was blurry at 1280x768 so I left it there. It wouldn't sync @ 1080i until I forced it thru my video card properties. My lappy was pretty good, it was ran a dual display of 1920x1200 on my laptop AND 1920x1080 on the acer!

I only was able to see pictures from SD set top box and the inbuilt digital SD. It looked good enough for me man, seriously, IMO there isn't enough HD contect on FTA for me to worry about. All I really want is the ability to watch TV widescreen

all we need now is for someone with an X1300, X1600, X1800 or X1900 to lug their PC and a dual link DVI cable down there and check out 1920x1080p :blink:

Rwo u hit the nail on the head!!!!!!

PS add nvidia 7800GT, 7800GTX, 7900GTX to that dual link card list (im still not sure about the 7800GS AGP....hope so!)

I dont have one of these cards either. I wonder if a single link will suffice? worth a try anyways.

Yes this panel (1920x1080) has an SD tuner built in.

That's no worse than the Philips which doesn't even have a DVB tuner built in. It also gives you the flexibility to run true FTA Digital picture in picture from an HD STB and the inbuilt SD tuner. Maybe this was the reason behind it?

The tech-savvy people that buy these panels will most likely have a HD STB already and have a good understanding of the difference between HD and SD tuners.

I think I've made my mind up to order the MGW model through work. Just want to see one in Melbourne before I commit.

Tim

This sounds like a great set for me could someone with more idea than me please explain to me how this would handle a 720p component Xbox360 input? I mean would it be in a small window surrounded by black margins or would the hardware in TV stretch it out to fill the screen? Would this cause loss of sharpness? Thanks if any can help me on this.

This sounds like a great set for me could someone with more idea than me please explain to me how this would handle a 720p component Xbox360 input? I mean would it be in a small window surrounded by black margins or would the hardware in TV stretch it out to fill the screen? Would this cause loss of sharpness? Thanks if any can help me on this.

It would be scaled up by the TV but there may be an option to watch it as a smaller image surrounded by black if you want. The picture will look fine as 720p scales up to 1080i with a 1:1 ratio. Therefore no distortion or weird effects.

I would have thought the inbuild SD tunner would have output that resolution to the panels inbuilt deinterlacer? (567i/50)

I expect you are right, I'm just lamenting how hard it is to find decent specs.

Is it a 50hz or 60hz display? Are the signal inputs (other than the built-in tuner) at 50hz or 60hz?

If you have a hd stb it will not accept 576p signals (according to the specs)