Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked about this TV at Retravision and Good guys. It didn't seem to be on their systems yet.

They are going to ring me when they can contact Acer again after they open after the holidays in the next couple of days to see if they can get it in.

This will be the first true 1920x1080p 37" LCD available right? Looks like it could be got at $3100 or less. The only other LCD that can do 1080 was the BenQ and that was only 1080i and couldn't do full res from a PC connection. I think there is a Sharp 45" but it is almost double this price..

Its a bit confusing whether it is 16ms or 12ms according to that website above. Is anyone else interested in getting this TV or has seen a review of it?

Its 16ms according to the Acer global website.

http://global.acer.com/products/lcd_tv/spec_at3705-mgv.htm

It has specs for the AU/NZ model, but its a bit light on. Cant find a manual for it anywhere.

It doesnt say what inputs it accepts (1080i/p), vague mention of 1080i, but nothing about 50/60Hz or the input specs of the VGA, DVI-D or component. (Although both the DVI-D and HDMI have HDCP).

But it looks like almost the perfect unit. No recording capability and no DVD player, but it has the equivlent of a Zensonic Z500 built into it (with wifi and 100baseT), and a (SD?) DTV tuner built it too.

Optical out as well :blink:

Brad

But it looks like almost the perfect unit. No recording capability and no DVD player, but it has the equivlent of a Zensonic Z500 built into it (with wifi and 100baseT), and a (SD?) DTV tuner built it too.

Optical out as well :blink:

Brad

You'd have to assume it is a HD TV tuner as the set is 1080p compatible it would be silly to integrate only an SD tuner! Plus imagine how much better this would sell in a retailer if they could show HD directly, instead of getting the same SD feed all their 30+ tvs are showing.

For hundredth time around here, MS of 16ms ratings are NOT sensitive to HDTV - even true 1080p.

MS ratings are only affected by gamers who want to run @ 1600 * 1200 @ refresh rates of 100Hz.

People --- get stuffed up and confuse blurring with ms ratings on LCDs. This blurring is related to upscaling with old or poor de-interlacing internals scalers on digital panels.

IE. A poor interlaced source like VCR / 576i @ poor quality and attempting to upscale to the likes of 1080i.

DA

For hundredth time around here, MS of 16ms ratings are NOT sensitive to HDTV - even true 1080p.

MS ratings are only affected by gamers who want to run @ 1600 * 1200 @ refresh rates of 100Hz.

DA

So in other words you're saying that 16ms should be fine for this TV, don't worry that its not 8ms unless you want to hook up your PC or Xbox 360/PS3 for gaming?

Or are you saying that HD TV on a 16ms panel is stupid and pointless? I'm guessing the former.

BTW Viewsonic have just released 2ms 19" Monitor LCDs, but I guess it will take a while till they make 37" at 2ms, or by what your saying it might be pointless.

Edited by mrangryfish

Not sure how clear it all is...

Now, to be sure, I'm no LCD fanatic, and have only just started considereing them, however:

*It seems most of the response ratings are dodgy/grain o' salt/spin (like the contrast ratings,etc).

*There isn't a really good empirical test/description.

Now ... take the Dell (OK, sorry its not the Acer, but its more interesting and real than the Acer ATM) ... given a refresh rate of 75Hz for the Dell, and a response of (probably optimistic) 16ms ... wouldn't that be too slow**???

Can someone point to a definitive site/article???

**NB: The answer I'd rather hear is "No, its fine" ... since the Dell appears to be the only thing available for a bearable price, with full resolution, in the 24(+) range...

HD TV on a 16ms panel is stupid and pointless?

16ms is FINE / PERFECT for MPEG digital TV broadcasting.

The ms rating is often CONFUSED with vertical REFRESH rates.

Articles dispelling this URBAN MYTH:

(perhaps misinformation derived from the "X" Generation posting on this forum who grew up with computers):

Plasma displays refresh and handle rapid movements in video about as well as CRT televisions. LCD TVs were originally designed for data display, and not video. Therefore refresh rates had to be improved. LCD TVs with refresh rates of 16 ms or lower show very little noticeable artifacts.

Source: http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/21,54.html

http://www.errors-forums.com/index.php?topic=50.new

DA

HD TV on a 16ms panel is stupid and pointless?

16ms is FINE / PERFECT for MPEG digital TV broadcasting.

The ms rating is often CONFUSED with vertical REFRESH rates.

Articles dispelling this URBAN MYTH:

(perhaps misinformation derived from the "X" Generation posting on this forum who grew up with computers):

Source: http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/21,54.html

http://www.errors-forums.com/index.php?topic=50.new

DA

OK, as someone who grew up with CRTs, and still is using nothing but...

Those references don't actually go to the heart of the matter.

However ... if the problem is requiring a response faster than the vertical refresh rate (which you'd assume you'd want) ... then 16ms would be pushing it - given 16ms is the optimistic value, and what if you're running at the only available 50Hz friendly frequency of 75Hz???

Oh Santa,

Now..now.

Re-read those links.

All evidence is there is no requirement for BOTH ATSC standards or DVB standards to have ms rated panels above 16ms. Note: the table lookup.

Yea you grew up with CRTs. So did I and think LCDs (despite there poor contrast in bright light ONLY) .......... to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Heart of the matter then???? I don't write like a guru - but keep it plain and simple more often.

BTW: I'd avoid nVidia for any HTPC - yea off tangent I know - but nvidia are proving a "roll of the dice" when it comes to relaible home theatre stuff.

DA

Just got some confirmed specs.

It is definately a 12ms display.

It cannot do 1080p, only 1080i. I wonder what is the point then? A lot of people say 720p is better than 1080i to watch as 1080i has too much flicker or something.

I know there is no 1080p content from local channels yet, only 1080i but p would be nice for xbox 360, ps3 and future proofing.. Bah. DTV gurus what do you think?

I guess its still better than the BenQ because it has a media gateway and you might be able to send a PC signal to it at a hight res than the BenQ. Would it be possible to send a 1920x1080 signal to it from the PC I wonder..

Would it be possible to send a 1920x1080 signal to it from the PC I wonder..

That is what I am really waiting to find out too. If it does support this PC resolution (and given the picture quality is good), I'll most likely get one of these.

• 4 weeks later...

GUYS!

another good news, just had conformation from Acer that:

1, Response time is: 12ms

2, Constrast Ratio: 800:1

Looks like we are getting the good stuff (coz some source say 16ms and 500:1 contrast)

Hi Joker,

interesting stuff. Are you able to disclose from where you're getting this information - have you just contacted Acer as an interested consumer, or do you have other contacts?

Thanks,

jakes.

Hi Joker,

interesting stuff. Are you able to disclose from where you're getting this information - have you just contacted Acer as an interested consumer, or do you have other contacts?

Thanks,

jakes.

Yep, I simply contacted their sales, asking the questions, and they confirmed it...

Actually not surprised, because if you check out the Acer UK site where this model is already there, it states 12ms and 800:1.

Looks promising, doenst it?