The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Actually, I have to make this clear.

If Fantastically improved = 50% or over improvement as it suppose to be... I am deceiving everyone.. sorry... I said fantastically improved purely based on the fact that, firstly I could see no value whatsoever in terms of VP30 doing the scaling when 1:1 mapping was not possible and other pixel format were showing better performance than the native resolution setting I paid over $2,000 for...

Now I have achieved that and by me saying fantastically improved perhaps is not entirely based on the PQ itself but my endless hours of work to make the thing work properly and getting some results... which honestly would sit between 10-15% improvement... but what you need to remember is that we already had fantastic panels and gears to start with so I don't think expecting 50% over improvement by VP30 is a sensible approach. It would not be the same expereince as going from 21" CRT to 50" plasma...

So do I still see over $2,000 value out of this VP30? hmmm... I would not say that as yet either... I would say $800 for getting my panel to work at its best ability by doing 1:1 mapping. $300 for getting all my gears to be connected via VP30 so to make things easy. $100 for doing the audio switching $400 for doing the HDMI switching that I am not using.... so I think it will become worth the money as time goes by.

I had no intention to mislead anyone by saying 'fantastically improved' but it is just a way of my expression after hours of fiddling and putting up with missus looking at me with eyes saying 'what the hell is that guy doing in front of TV with remote for so long flipping through cables, different menus, making TV go balck and white, totally balck etc etc....' if u know what I mean....hehe

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes pandemik. 1:1 with 63Hz. PC mode RGB Color is what I have. Even the 7 HD loop looks good on it. I have Final Fantasy Animation from Japan looks stunning.. better than I used to view previously. One thing that is definately noticeable is whenever there is a letter (subtitle etc) displayed from Free to air TV. Before I could see most of letters aren't like what you normally see on PC LCD monitor but now it is very close to it.

Again, color is not perfect but this is something that calibration of panel will help so I am happy with the detail and sharpness of the picture displayed via VP30.

Hi Shinrai.

Yes I am much happier than before. IMHO I see no judder. Panning and viewing is easy from the remote also you can save upto 4 user defined settings as some SD programs need either overscan or zomming to fit perfectly into 16:9 but HD broadcastings fit perfectly .This I did not notice previously but I think this has something to do with using AUSID to output at 720p@50Hz... I don't know....

That is really good aussie. I'm very happy for you and hopefully your experimentation will help others.

So you are definitely running the ausid at 720p now? Sd signals were not any good?

Actually, I have to make this clear.

If Fantastically improved = 50% or over improvement as it suppose to be... I am deceiving everyone.. sorry... I said fantastically improved purely based on the fact that, firstly I could see no value whatsoever in terms of VP30 doing the scaling when 1:1 mapping was not possible and other pixel format were showing better performance than the native resolution setting I paid over $2,000 for...

hi Aussie - thanks for the clarification, yeah I kinda gathered you meant a "value meal" sized improvement, versus a KingKong mega-heartattack-combo-upsized improvement (not sure where that analogy came from, too much watching cricket brought to me by KFC, eerrkkkK)

I think I'll have one last little play with the settings tonight, before Aaron comes over to sort it all out later this week.

I'll then be in a better position to give a definitive (fully calibrated) answer to the "is it worth it" for the VP30/Fuji combo

cheers

hi Aussie - thanks for the clarification, yeah I kinda gathered you meant a "value meal" sized improvement, versus a KingKong mega-heartattack-combo-upsized improvement (not sure where that analogy came from, too much watching cricket brought to me by KFC, eerrkkkK)

I think I'll have one last little play with the settings tonight, before Aaron comes over to sort it all out later this week.

I'll then be in a better position to give a definitive (fully calibrated) answer to the "is it worth it" for the VP30/Fuji combo

cheers

Excellent.. thank you pandemik. u tell me once u get your panel calibrated as I am very interested in seeing the difference.. because I know for sure I did everything I can to make the combination to work at its best ability so far but I know the next step is the calibration. My missus will kill me if she sees me spending more money on getting the calibration done so I will have to leave that one out for the moment...

Though if my analogy is right, u only need to do the calibration for Video 5 (HDMI) connection on Fuji hence there is no problem perhaps getting a free ride???? previosuly I know that calibration could not be shared as we all have different gears but at least Fuji + VP30 calibration will/should be calibrated exactly the same way as VP30 is the one entailing us to be ignorant on what kind of source we are feeding into.... I may be wrong...

If Aaron reads this he may not like it...hehe..

That is really good aussie. I'm very happy for you and hopefully your experimentation will help others.

So you are definitely running the ausid at 720p now? Sd signals were not any good?

Yes I am running it at 720p not PAL because of two reasons. 1. I have threem component connections going into VP30 and AUSID is on RGBHV input which does not accept 576i but 576p and over. 2. After hours of flipping through different modes, I can only say 720p was the best... we all know 1080i from AUSID does not work so I could not comment on that. Cheers

This thread on avsforum may answer a few of the questions regarding pixel mapping the Fuji at 50hZ

Thanks cummo but that is not entirely true. We have other guys achieving 50Hz signal from their STBs other than AUSID. It is just the issue with AUSID for sure because, VP30 does not recognise the signal. It has nothing to do with Fuji. When VP30 receives the signal but can not process it, it shows green color which is what happens for 1080i@50Hz output from AUSID via component meaning VP30 receives out of range signal from AUSID and would not even try sending it to Fuji so Fuji does not come into a loop here at all. Native DVD input going into Fuji via VP30 at 50Hz I have not try....I mean I have not try locking the 50Hz inpiut sources to do 50Hz lock yet but I was under impression that higher the frequencies that the panel can accept the better.... Am I wrong here?

Thanks cummo but that is not entirely true. We have other guys achieving 50Hz signal from their STBs other than AUSID. It is just the issue with AUSID for sure because, VP30 does not recognise the signal. It has nothing to do with Fuji. When VP30 receives the signal but can not process it, it shows green color which is what happens for 1080i@50Hz output from AUSID via component meaning VP30 receives out of range signal from AUSID and would not even try sending it to Fuji so Fuji does not come into a loop here at all. Native DVD input going into Fuji via VP30 at 50Hz I have not try....I mean I have not try locking the 50Hz inpiut sources to do 50Hz lock yet but I was under impression that higher the frequencies that the panel can accept the better.... Am I wrong here?

I think cummo is more refering to getting 1 to 1 mapping at 50Hz which cannot be done on the Fujitsu

I think cummo is more refering to getting 1 to 1 mapping at 50Hz which cannot be done on the Fujitsu

right so meaning.. no matter what we do with our STBs as Australian Free TV is only at 50Hz (not 1005 sure) we will not see the best result going via VP30?...

Just a question, so when I feed the free to air TV programs then going into test screen to see the geometric displaying the perfect 1:1 mapping is not the way to test 1:1 mapping at 50Hz? is the test screen from VP30 output at a certain framerate regardless of what is displaying behind?

How do we test whether 1:1 works at 50Hz?

Also just to put this forward...I am very novice so I may be asking very silly questions... most of my comments going against other people's comments and postings are way of questioning not arguing or having a go at it...I just hope people do not get offended when I say 'oh that is not true etc' everything I am saying here comes from trial and error not from proper knowldge...hehe...

right so meaning.. no matter what we do with our STBs as Australian Free TV is only at 50Hz (not 1005 sure) we will not see the best result going via VP30?...

Just a question, so when I feed the free to air TV programs then going into test screen to see the geometric displaying the perfect 1:1 mapping is not the way to test 1:1 mapping at 50Hz? is the test screen from VP30 output at a certain framerate regardless of what is displaying behind?

Hi Aussie,

Can you not ask the VP30 to do the frame conversion from 50 Hz ex Ausid to 60Hz that your display is set to? Does this give an unacceptable picture?

You should know when you have 1:1 pixel at any res as apart from the test patterns, you should see the VP30 drop down menus clearly and sharp with 1 pixel edges, i.e the lettering should be so sharp that it just goes from white to black or whatever the colours of the lettering and background are - and not smear over 2 or more pixels.

Seems like the Fuji's are giving a lot of you some minor :blink: headaches, but keep at it. :P

Hi Aussie,

Can you not ask the VP30 to do the frame conversion from 50 Hz ex Ausid to 60Hz that your display is set to? Does this give an unacceptable picture?

You should know when you have 1:1 pixel at any res as apart from the test patterns, you should see the VP30 drop down menus clearly and sharp with 1 pixel edges, i.e the lettering should be so sharp that it just goes from white to black or whatever the colours of the lettering and background are - and not smear over 2 or more pixels.

Seems like the Fuji's are giving a lot of you some minor :blink: headaches, but keep at it. :P

Hi JPP.

Yes I will try locking 50Hz source (AUSID) to lock at 50Hz when I get home to see what come out. My question is though do we need to?? I got 50Hz AUSID to be dispalyed at 63Hz on my Fuji via VP30. Is this not a good thing to do??? see? I am very novice... I always thought the highest framearte that my dispaly can handle the best...

Yes I know exactly what u mean. I got the 1:1 mapping correct that I can see the VP30 menu razor sharp and displays like my powerbook LCD monitor with those letters. I can convert 50Hz source from AUSID to display on my Fuji at 63Hz as per my previous posting.

I just wasn't sure how to differentiate 1:1 mapping for 50Hz and 60Hz sources... I am sure I got 1:1 mapping right with the both NTSC videos at 60Hz from my Sony DVD and AUSID at 50Hz...I will go home and try in few hours...

Also just to put this forward...I am very novice so I may be asking very silly questions... most of my comments going against other people's comments and postings are way of questioning not arguing or having a go at it...I just hope people do not get offended when I say 'oh that is not true etc' everything I am saying here comes from trial and error not from proper knowldge...hehe...

Hey Aussie

The Fujitsu will do a native res at 60Hz but affraid not 50Hz it is one limitation of the panel along with sooooo many others.

You will get the best PQ from 1 to 1 mapping no doubt at all and in our case 60Hz will be the go, I have tried 60Hz 1 to 1 on the HD+ with no noticable judder

To answer your question how do we test 50Hz 1:1 in short we cant

The guys on the UK forums have their Lumegens and HD+ and now VP30's (If there is any) on the Fujitsu 1:1 at 60Hz without issue

Mate also i dont think anyone would be pissed with putting your view across and to be honest i think you are doing a great job keeping at the VP30 as you are

Hey Aussie

The Fujitsu will do a native res at 60Hz but affraid not 50Hz it is one limitation of the panel along with sooooo many others.

You will get the best PQ from 1 to 1 mapping no doubt at all and in our case 60Hz will be the go, I have tried 60Hz 1 to 1 on the HD+ with no noticable judder

To answer your question how do we test 50Hz 1:1 in short we cant

The guys on the UK forums have their Lumegens and HD+ and now VP30's (If there is any) on the Fujitsu 1:1 at 60Hz without issue

Mate also i dont think anyone would be pissed with putting your view across and to be honest i think you are doing a great job keeping at the VP30 as you are

Thanks Glenncol.

Yes I am home and tried the 50Hz lock would not work. I see that 50Hz sources need to be adjusted by overscan in order to fill up the screen. HD features are missing about 3 lines from the left and about 2 lines from the right and top line displas dotted line when 50Hz DVD sources are showing. SD features are even worse in terms of black border appearing at each side.

So what is the best framerate for 50Hz sources? before I set it to 63Hz (maximum I could achieve with Fuji) thinking higher the better but you guys can help me with this.

I read about the automatic output profile changing feature on AVS feature so I guess I will create seperate profile for 60Hz and 50Hz sources and get it to work automatically.

For those who were part of the Group Buy for the VP30, do you know what actions we need to take to get this hardware problem fixed?

DVDO IR Problem found -AVS

from Josh@DVDO...

I would like to address several issues.

The first is the senstivity of the IR on the iScan VP30. We have identifed that the IR lense is the cause of this issue. We would like our customers to have the best user experience and as such we are offering to correct this issue at little to no cost to our customers*. There are three ways to go about this service.

1. Return your iScan VP30 to DVDO via ground shipping and we will service your iScan VP30 and ship it back to you via ground shipping within 48 hours. This option retains all of your system settings and shipping is paid by DVDO both ways.

2. Return your iScan VP30 to DVDO via overnight shipping and we will service your iScan VP30 and ship it back to you via overnight shipping within 48 hours. This option retains all of your system settings and is expedited relative to Option 1. Only the return shipping is paid for by DVDO.

3. Have a replacement iScan VP30 shipped by DVDO via overnight to replace your existing VP30. We will need a credit card deposit before we can ship out your replacement. This will be the most expedited solution once we have filled our backlog, and you will lose your system settings.

Send an email to help@dvdo.com with ‘VP30 IR’ in the subject line. Please be sure to include the following information:

Name

Phone Number

Email Address

Shipping Address

VP30 Serial Number (on the bottom of the unit and the original box)

Which option you will be using

A fourth option is available to those who feel comfortable removing the front panel on their own. Instructions will be provided to simplify this procedure. Please note that we do not expect you to do this fix on your own and that is why we are offering to do the fix ourselves

Regards

David

For those who were part of the Group Buy for the VP30, do you know what actions we need to take to get this hardware problem fixed?

Regards

David

Hi David

The best way to address this issue would be to contact the retailer first of all seeking his advice who will more that likely put you in touch with the distributor

Regards

David

Are you actually experiencing this issue?

I guess I have not really used my VP30 all that much day-to-day (waiting for Aaron's assistance in terms of config/calibration) - but I have used the remote a fair bit for navigating menus and playing with settings

I dont think ive had any probs with the remote - or none that I have noticed anyway - I guess its possible I had the VP30 in such a position as to negate experiencing any remote issues?

am yet to program my harmony 880, so that may be the real test...

cheers :blink:

Are you actually experiencing this issue?

I guess I have not really used my VP30 all that much day-to-day (waiting for Aaron's assistance in terms of config/calibration) - but I have used the remote a fair bit for navigating menus and playing with settings

I dont think ive had any probs with the remote - or none that I have noticed anyway - I guess its possible I had the VP30 in such a position as to negate experiencing any remote issues?

am yet to program my harmony 880, so that may be the real test...

cheers :blink:

Actually remote problem does exist. I just got used to pointing the remote direct at it but seems to not receive signals from say 20 degrees angle above, below or both sides.

Actually remote problem does exist. I just got used to pointing the remote direct at it but seems to not receive signals from say 20 degrees angle above, below or both sides.

okay no probs, fair enough - as suspected, perhaps I was just re-aiming the remote until it worked without really thinking about it

will be more conscious of it now, so will see what happens

Josh from DVDO was talking about a lens/instructions kit for replacing the IR lens ("option 4" as included in an earlier post - for those that may want to do it themselves) - might be worth pursuing with our group-buy supplier to see if they are acquire some of these "kits" if/when available

cheers

im new to all this but overall very impessed with the quality of the vp30 (i was originally using a barco rcvds05 with lido line doubler)

just a question. i have a modified electrohome marquee 8500lc (crt projector) with a native resolution of 1600x1200. should i set the output to user 1600x1200p or would i get a better picture with 1920x1080p?

im new to all this but overall very impessed with the quality of the vp30 (i was originally using a barco rcvds05 with lido line doubler)

just a question. i have a modified electrohome marquee 8500lc (crt projector) with a native resolution of 1600x1200. should i set the output to user 1600x1200p or would i get a better picture with 1920x1080p?

logically, if you can get 1600x1200p to work properly, i would say use that. 1080p etc may look better like the expereinces some of us including me had but the 1:1 mapping is the best option after all.

Re the IR issue

I use IR repeaters in my system and have no problems transmitting the IR signal.

My IR repeater is placed directly over the top of the IR receiver. I use a Pronto with RF which then shoots out the IR signal.

I certainly wont bother sending the unit back or ordering a replacement.

I am about to send my DVD player away for a SDI Mod will give a report on that when it is done.

Re the IR issue

I use IR repeaters in my system and have no problems transmitting the IR signal.

My IR repeater is placed directly over the top of the IR receiver. I use a Pronto with RF which then shoots out the IR signal.

I certainly wont bother sending the unit back or ordering a replacement.

I am about to send my DVD player away for a SDI Mod will give a report on that when it is done.

Ditto for the IR problem.

I'd be interested to see how you go on the SDI mod. I ordered my VP30 with the SDI module, but am yet to decide whether to get my OPPO DVD player converted. It already has DVI output, but only at 576p, not i (apart from 720p and 1080i and NOT HDCP enabled, so that's not a reason for me to go to SDI). Some say that the difference between DVI and SDI is minimal or none. The Oppo uses the Faroudja scalar/de-interlacing chipset whch do a good job of de-interlacing, but the picture comes out just a little soft. Which DVD player do you have?

Phil.

Its an older model Pioneer s737 but Aaron said it was a great player and worth the modification.

I was tossing up just buying a new DVD player with HDMI but decided to go for the mod instead.

Will report back on picture next week hopefully.

Its an older model Pioneer s737 but Aaron said it was a great player and worth the modification.

I was tossing up just buying a new DVD player with HDMI but decided to go for the mod instead.

Will report back on picture next week hopefully.

I'll be very interested in what you find.

Ive purchased the VP30 with SDI, and a Pio 969 DVD player with an SDI mod. Unfortunately, I dont have a display I can hook these up to yet, so they are sitting in boxes unused. :blink:

Regards

David

Hi all.

I also received my VP30 finally since paying for it back in when was it?? September.

After all the dramas with HDCP and audio, 3 month delay etc, I'm very surprised how calm, patiently and easily you guys take in news such as the VP30's IR has issues. I was expecting a big DVDO protest or something, especially considering we have to wait longer to receive the fix-it-yourself kit or wait to send it back and get a replacement or fixed.

I'm not even into it as you guys, and I really had the shits. Don't you guys think you being a little too easy and calm :blink: I guess I'de just expect something like that to work VERY smoothly especially considering the price-tag and the delay-time that was put on.

Ash.