The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Yes Horseman you were the guinea pig but I was very impressed with the VP30 and it did everything I expected and gave no problems whatsoever.

As this installation was using an NEC plasma I set the output to 60Hz as this plasma displays everything at 60Hz anyway and better to have the DVDO doing the Frame Rate Conversion than the plasma. (You can set an NEC Plasma to run at 50Hz but the solarisation is very bad compared to 60Hz).

For the resolution I chose 1024x768, this is a good one for many plasmas. Ideally we would run 1:1 pixel mapping (1280x768) but that isn't possible on this plasma nor most others. Matching the vertical resolution is the most important thing to do as vertical scaling is more important than horizontal scaling. So we had perfect vertical pixel mapping and horizontal scaling in the plasma.

The VP30 worked a treat and did everything expected. No problems running 1080i over DVI into the VP30 HDMI input from a Teac DV-B800 HDTV box. I haven't tried 1080i over component yet.

Despite the nice user interface on the VP30 this is the type of product that really deserves a full ISF setup and calibration.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I have a VP30, and yet no plasma... still saving up for it... so...

I would appreciate if during all your calibrations you could divulge which of the current batch of plasmas has the best picture using the VP30, which ones you could get 1:1 mapping, etc....

many thanks and looking forward to meeting you once I get a plasma.....

Cheers,

Marcelo

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The frame rate business I find very confusing. Can anyone point to an article, or explain to a dunderhead, the thinking behind it. For PAL, what is the difference between using 25, 50 or 75HZ in terms of PQ and Judder. What happens when you feed 60 to a panel with a 50 Hz source.

Luck to all in the search for PQ Nirvana

Cheers

Chui

Chui,

This link gives a bit of an overall picture of the whole process.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/TempRate.mspx

Still browsing google for more on this topic which I don't understand fully either.

I'm also trying to get some info wrt the VP30 VP's and the like, on understanding the processes involved in optimising horizontal text scrolling (crawleys as they are called in TV parlance, like stock excahnge results at the bottom of your screen), and vertical scrolling text, like title list at end of movies. Apparently, these two superimposed text sources can have different video rates (require different pull down sequences) and the VPs job is to optimise which pulldown sequence it should use to give a judder free picture. I note that the VP30 is better in that regard than the HD+.

The original HD+ was awfull at it, the subsequent and last HD+ firmware release was a lot better. If you watch closely at the start of a movie title sequence at the end of the movie, you will often see an initial juddering of the titles, maybe for half a second or so, and then it will become more smooth. Then, although smoother in scrolling, it will often appear with some line breakup in the lettering - is this a sign of change in the pull down sequence - video at 50 Hz superimposed on film at 24 frames? Lots of questions. Anyone got any answers?

Phil.

Hi Aaron,

**SNIP**

I would appreciate if during all your calibrations you could divulge which of the current batch of plasmas has the best picture using the VP30, which ones you could get 1:1 mapping, etc....

Before anyone else jumps in, may I say, that in my humble opionion, this is a valid request.

This is just a request for factual information, no more than could be gleaned by deeply reading dozens of PDP manufactures technical litrature, the full technical specs of the VP30, four zillion e-mails to various manufacturers, weeks of reading of various forums and heaps of trial and error.

This is not a request for a sales opionion, neither would the response be a sales pitch, once again, just factual information.

That's my $0.02 :blink:

Austen.

• Moderators
Before anyone else jumps in, may I say, that in my humble opionion, this is a valid request.

This is just a request for factual information, no more than could be gleaned by deeply reading dozens of PDP manufactures technical litrature, the full technical specs of the VP30, four zillion e-mails to various manufacturers, weeks of reading of various forums and heaps of trial and error.

This is not a request for a sales opionion, neither would the response be a sales pitch, once again, just factual information.

That's my $0.02 :blink:

Austen.

aaron has provided that sort of info before so hopefully does post back. just as his opinion and not an endorcement or anything.

aaron has provided that sort of info before so hopefully does post back. just as his opinion and not an endorcement or anything.

Thanks guys - that's exactly what I meant by it - and Aaron has been very helpful in many ways to members of this forum in the past - since he is likely to calibrate a few HD+/VP30's in many different displays, he may be able to say which ones have a better image after being ISFed/calibrated and used in conjuction with the scalers.

For people like me, who don't have a display yet or is in the process of upgrading, this could be invaluable information.

Thanks again,

Marcelo

A wee trap for young and not so young players

In fiddling around with my revised setup today and getting my Harmony 880 universal remote to work with it all, I was suddenly confronted with a totally blank screen. I did the usual resets and restarts on all the toys that could possibly have anything to do with it. All to no avail. I could get a picture on my display when pressing the Info button the DVDO and see that all inputs were getting through. As soon as the info screen went away though, no picture. Reset the DVDO a few more times, but no go.

I then thought, this is just as if a curtain has been drawn across the screen, and the penny dropped. Somehow, the Harmony had invoked the curtain command on the VP30. Because I was not watching the screen all the time, I didn't see it come in.

The interesting thing is though, that resetting (even changed output resolutions) and power cycling did NOT automatically reset or lift the curtain on the VP30. It retained the "blind" throughout all the fiddling, except of course when setting the output configurations and querying the info. Thought for a while that I was the first to have a dud VP30 on my hands. :blink:

PP

Edit today: Or maybe this could be a bug in the VP30 firmware, where it occasionally draws the curtain inappropriately. It apparently does this when the input source is HDCP enabled, but the display is telling the VP30 that it is not HDCP compliant. But why then was I able to draw the curtain back? In my setup, all inputs (and output) are set with HDCP OFF.

I'm also trying to get some info wrt the VP30 VP's and the like, on understanding the processes involved in optimising horizontal text scrolling (crawleys as they are called in TV parlance, like stock excahnge results at the bottom of your screen), and vertical scrolling text, like title list at end of movies. Apparently, these two superimposed text sources can have different video rates (require different pull down sequences) and the VPs job is to optimise which pulldown sequence it should use to give a judder free picture. I note that the VP30 is better in that regard than the HD+.

The original HD+ was awfull at it, the subsequent and last HD+ firmware release was a lot better. If you watch closely at the start of a movie title sequence at the end of the movie, you will often see an initial juddering of the titles, maybe for half a second or so, and then it will become more smooth. Then, although smoother in scrolling, it will often appear with some line breakup in the lettering - is this a sign of change in the pull down sequence - video at 50 Hz superimposed on film at 24 frames? Lots of questions. Anyone got any answers?

Hey Phil, there's no magic bullet for 60Hz native displays when the source is 50Hz I'm afraid. You are going to drop frames and get jerkiness no matter what, they just don't divide unfortunately.

Finally I got 1:1 mapping for Fujitsu P50XHA40US working. Here are the numbers for other Fuji users. Just minor changes on Vertical settings. Make sure though the Obiter is OFF.

H-Shift 144

H-Size 1360

H-Front 176

H-Sync-112

H-Back 144

V-Shift 12

V-Size 768

V-Front 8

V-Sync 6

V-Back 12

With this setting, I can see that the letters displayed by the VP30 when you display setup menus very sharp and all the test screen displays the perfect picture. PQ wise for TV and DVDs I think the sharpness has improved. Still I prefer the 720p color settings but I am sure I can fiddle with the color settings on Fuji plasma itself to make it better so achieving 1:1 mapping was more important task for me.

I find that Output level option to PC other than movie displays proper black color. You can see the differences easily on the geometric test pattern that black is very dar grey on Video mode where as PC mode is more close to true black.

Also any wis out there can answer my question... what differences the RGB 4:2:2 4:4:4 color settings do? I could not understand what the manual was explaining.

Enjoy the 1:1 mapping Fuji 50" owners.

Hey Phil, there's no magic bullet for 60Hz native displays when the source is 50Hz I'm afraid. You are going to drop frames and get jerkiness no matter what, they just don't divide unfortunately.

Happens on my 50Hz display as well though nobby. I guess it's more a case of the orginal broadcast having the 2 formats embedded into it. The VP30 then has to make up its mind which to select for pull down. The maddening irony is that on a glass (analog) telly, it goes just fine!!

Finally I got 1:1 mapping for Fujitsu P50XHA40US working. Here are the numbers for other Fuji users. Just minor changes on Vertical settings. Make sure though the Obiter is OFF.

H-Shift 144

H-Size 1360

H-Front 176

H-Sync-112

H-Back 144

V-Shift 12

V-Size 768

V-Front 8

V-Sync 6

V-Back 12

With this setting, I can see that the letters displayed by the VP30 when you display setup menus very sharp and all the test screen displays the perfect picture. PQ wise for TV and DVDs I think the sharpness has improved. Still I prefer the 720p color settings but I am sure I can fiddle with the color settings on Fuji plasma itself to make it better so achieving 1:1 mapping was more important task for me.

I find that Output level option to PC other than movie displays proper black color. You can see the differences easily on the geometric test pattern that black is very dar grey on Video mode where as PC mode is more close to true black.

Also any wis out there can answer my question... what differences the RGB 4:2:2 4:4:4 color settings do? I could not understand what the manual was explaining.

Enjoy the 1:1 mapping Fuji 50" owners.

Good on yah Aussie. Persistence will get you everywhere in life :blink::P

You're absolutely right in that true proper 1:1 pixel mapping should show a one pixel wide edge on all the menu lettering. If the edges are smeared over 2 pixels, you haven't hit the jackpot yet. It's interesting that aside from needing to get the native horizontal and vertical pixel sizes right, you also need to adjust shift, front and back porch parameters.

Edited by JPP

Well done Aussie on the 1:1 mapping for the 50" Fuji. I had just about given up on getting it to work on my 42" Fuji, but you have inspired me to give it one last shot. BTW, is yours running at 50Hz or 60Hz?

One other expected bonus from the VP30; last night a friend brought over a movie that he had downloaded from BitTorrent, and the native PQ was typical of a "shrunken" DVD. However, when I ran it through the VP30, the PQ improved dramatically! :blink:

ladies and gents, I have come across an issue of sorts with my VP30;

tonight I connected up my oldskool DVD player to the VP30 (non up-scaling panasonic, connected via component to the VP30), and must say the upscaled image from 576i to 1080i via the VP30 is very nice indeed

however the issue I have struck is an ear-piercing "shrill" out of my speakers when passing the audio from the DVD player to the VP30, and then from the VP30 to my amp

the "shrill" does not occur when there is actually audio being played on the DVD (so menu music, or the movie itself)

however, if there is no audio being generated (ie, DVD player on but no disc in it, or the various "warning/copyright" screens at the start of a DVD), the ear-piercing shrill present itself.

this shrill does not occur when I directly connect the player to the AMP, so it must be the VP30.

I have tried both of the TOSLINK/optic input ports on the VP30, and I have also tried running the output from the VP30 from its optic output, and its coax output.

I was wondering if anyone else has been trying the audio in/out of the VP30, or if they have experiencing (or heard of) anything similar.

any suggestions greatly appreciated,

cheers :blink:

I have sat back and read everyone's comments which are heavily focused on getting the VP-30 to work on the Fuji 50", so I thought I would offer my experience with another panel for those of us with good panels! :-)

Firstly I have three things I run through the scaler: Myryad DVD Player via Component, Force HD Set-top box via DVI/HDMI and my G5 Mac computer via DVI/HDMI. I feed it all into a Sharp LC37GA4X 37" LCD panel with 1366 x 768 res. (I also replaced a HD+ with the VP-30).

My initial impression of the VP-30 was that the resulting image from a DVD was sharper than that with a HD+ so it was looking good! But, today i finally go tto spend some time with it and set it up properly. Set up on the Sharp was pretty easy compared to what I am hearing with some people on this forum, however I did have some interesting glitches along the way.

Fortunately the Sharp has an AUTO sync feature and a set of fine tune sync controls, and the Auto sync gets you pretty close IF you have the right input selected at the time of running the auto sync. This is the glitch I found. Bottom line was, I had to auto sync with the DVD player as the source on the VP-30. Interestingly if I left the test pattern running and ran auto sync, the result was aweful. Go figure!

Anyway, after reading all of the comments from others here, I was somewhat bewildered by the suggestion of running your HD STB in 576P mode into the VP-30 and letting it scale up to your panel. To me and my way of thinking it is a ludicrous suggestion for HD broadcasts at least, standard def it makes some sense. So I ignored it!

What follows is my initial findings after only one day of tweaking, so I will provide an update later if things change.....

I tried the STB in HD mode 1080i into the VP-30, and I felt it did not look as good as going straight into the panel, when looking at HD broadcasts. So I buckled and tried the 576P out into the VP-30, and I have to say I am amazed. Firstly the channel Seven HD loop which generally looks pretty lame actually looked better, and I used it for most of the day for testing as there was nothing else of value in HD on Nine or Ten all day.

I then looked at SD material and I have to say THIS is where the VP-30 shines. The SD material looks damn good, much better than the STB scaling it up. The nice thing doing it this way is that there is no pixelaisation or banding in the SD broadcast so images look great. A win!

Tonight, on channel Nine is a movie in HD (The Generals Daughter), I have been waiting for this all day! The result makes NO sense to me at all. It looks excellent. At this point I think it looks almost as good as 1080i straight out of the STB (which I have always been happy with, except for the banding and pixelisation)

I did notice that if I switch between 9 and 90, the difference in detail and sharpness is quite substantial with 90 looking way better, even though the STB is set to output 576P. Again, this makes no sense, but it IS a substantial difference. Coversley, SD material looks better when looking at the SD channel rather than the HD channel.

I do not know what to conclude, as all my theory is that you should not get as much detail out of a low res image compared to a high res image. It is like taking a photo on your mobile phone camera and scaling it to like as good as the one taken on your Digital SLR. It just can not happen.

Anyway, other glitches along the way: Image position (centering) from the G5 (HDMI) and the DVD player (Component) where the same, the STB (HDMI) however was offset to the right so I had to setup a seperate profile for it to use and that solved the problem.

I have a poor antenna connection to the building we are in and from time to time we get a few glitches in the picture which is infrequent enough to not be a major issue. However, it is now. It seems to cause the VP-30 to buffer the image longer. why is this a problem? Well i have an analog audio feed out of the STB into the Sharp so that we do not have to turn on the entire audio system just to hear the news etc. So when the VP-30 buffers the video a large delay is created between the audio and video. The only way to fix it is to change channel and change back tot he one we are watching and all is well again.

So, for now I see the following advantages of having a VP-30:

1) Switching of all AV sources

2) Scaling of SD broadcasts looks much better than the STB scaling it

3) DVD images are stunning

Until we have Blu-Ray DVD with HD content and EVERYTHING on free to air is broadcast in HD, the VP-30 is a must have device if you own a HD panel, it is that simple.

I have sat back and read everyone's comments which are heavily focused on getting the VP-30 to work on the Fuji 50", so I thought I would offer my experience with another panel for those of us with good panels! :-)

hehehe fair enough, nice non-Fuji post!! :blink:

I then looked at SD material and I have to say THIS is where the VP-30 shines. The SD material looks damn good, much better than the STB scaling it up. The nice thing doing it this way is that there is no pixelaisation or banding in the SD broadcast so images look great. A win!

This must be where I am doing something drastically wrong, because my main SD source is my Toppy PVR, and the PQ of this material (ie Toppy-->VP30-->panel) is far worse than going direct to the panel. I am hoping that there are some tweaks to resolve this, and/or Aaron can assist me come calibration time :P

And I have a quick question, just to aid my understanding, regarding this statement:

"2) Scaling of SD broadcasts looks much better than the STB scaling it"

Does the STB ever do the scaling as such? I thought it was always the display device doing the scaling?

cheers :P

And I have a quick question, just to aid my understanding, regarding this statement:

Does the STB ever do the scaling as such? I thought it was always the display device doing the scaling?

Well my understanding at least is that when you set yout STB to output 1080i (as an example) then it scales the other channels such as SD channels and 720P channels to output them at 1080i too. As I say, that is my understanding, it may well be wrong.... ;-)

pandemik,

HD STBs have their own scalars - this is one reason you pay so much more for an HD STB as opposed to an SD STB. So, if you set its output to say 1080i, it will scale anything you tune into to that res. Thus, any and all SD channels are upscaled to 1080i.

If you had set the output of your STB to say 720p, the SD image would be scaled up to 720 lines AND the STB would de-interlace (make the signal a progressive scan) as well. This means that your display no longer has to de-interlace which is a good thing as most display's scalars are not particularly good at this job. 720p also more closely matches your display's vertical res, so it has to do less scaling as well - maybe none if your display's native vertical res is also 720 lines. (LCD and Plasma display panels require a progressive signal to work).

If you now tune to an HD channel, say 9 or 10 which have 1080i as their HD res, and you had set the output of your STB at 1080i as well, your STB would have nothing to do at all. Your display however would have to downscale and de-interlace to get say 1366 x 768 res (your display's native res).

Now, if you have an SD STB, your display will have to do all the hard work. It only gets 567i, so it has to de-interlace (much harder work than doing it at 1080i - most solarise or "clay face" when de-interlacing at 576i) - and up-scale it to its native horizontal and vertical resolutions.

If you set your HD STB to output at 576i, and you tune in to an HD channel at 1080i, your STB down-converts the signal from 1080 to 576. 1080i is already interlaced so it does not de-interlace as well, as 576i is a interlaced signal format. If you had set the STB's output to 720p and you were tuned into the same HD channel, your STB would de-interlace and then up-scale to give you 720p.

You can see why many say that 720p HD is often better than 1080i for fast moving action shots. Besides being a progressive or non-interlaced signal, it also matches most active displays better than 1080 lines - less scaling to do. The next best thing is really 1080p - now we're getting to real HD.

Sorry, very long winded and you wanted a simple answer :blink::P

Edited by JPP
however the issue I have struck is an ear-piercing "shrill" out of my speakers when passing the audio from the DVD player to the VP30, and then from the VP30 to my amp

the "shrill" does not occur when there is actually audio being played on the DVD (so menu music, or the movie itself)

I was wondering if anyone else has been trying the audio in/out of the VP30, or if they have experiencing (or heard of) anything similar.

any suggestions greatly appreciated,

cheers :blink:

pandemik,

Not had this trouble myself. But just a wild thought here. To eliminate the optic route between your DVD player and the VP30 input, could you try a coax between it and the VP30. Thinking here is that your optic cable maybe too long or not of adequate quality for use with the VP30.

phil.

Well done Aussie on the 1:1 mapping for the 50" Fuji. I had just about given up on getting it to work on my 42" Fuji, but you have inspired me to give it one last shot. BTW, is yours running at 50Hz or 60Hz?

One other expected bonus from the VP30; last night a friend brought over a movie that he had downloaded from BitTorrent, and the native PQ was typical of a "shrunken" DVD. However, when I ran it through the VP30, the PQ improved dramatically! :blink:

Hi Foggy!

50Hz sources like AUSID is running at 59.94 unlocked and 60Hz sources like my DVD is running at 60Hz Lock. I think I will perhaps use the higher frequencies as Glenncol's last posting. My only suggestion is to make sure turn off the Orbiter because you will never get the 1024x1024 right with the Obiter turned on. Another thing actually bothers me (I don't know if this is happening to you also) is that Fujitsu loses the memory setting each time I change the input source from VP30 so I had to keep on pressing the memory button on the Fuji/AUSID remote to get the pciture settings (like Ambient sensor off...fine mode... and all the color calibrations)...even I leave the Fuji on permanent Video 5 (HDMI) connection....

Yes I also found that downloaded Divx movies are as good as the DVDs via VP30.

I hope you get the 1:1 mapping correctly and post it for 42" owners out there soon.

Cheers

pandemik,

Not had this trouble myself. But just a wild thought here. To eliminate the optic route between your DVD player and the VP30 input, could you try a coax between it and the VP30. Thinking here is that your optic cable maybe too long or not of adequate quality for use with the VP30.

phil.

Hi Phil,

Well I have tried two different optic cables between DVD player and VP30, each of which are 1-1.5m cables. I have used these cables before and never had a prob. Also as mentioned, if I go direct from the DVD player to the AVR using same cables, no problem.

Unfortuantely, DVD player does not have coax-out for digital audio out - but it is looking more to be a VP30 issue than anything else at this stage.

Only other thing I could come up with is something to do with HDCP? My DVD player is not a HDMI/HDCP device, not sure if that makes any difference (ie, I have to tell the VP30 that it is not a HDCP device?)

Anyway, back to work today, so will have to wait till I get home to try anything new :blink:

thanks as always for the reply dude

cheers

Hi Foggy!

50Hz sources like AUSID is running at 59.94 unlocked and 60Hz sources like my DVD is running at 60Hz Lock. I think I will perhaps use the higher frequencies as Glenncol's last posting. My only suggestion is to make sure turn off the Orbiter because you will never get the 1024x1024 right with the Obiter turned on. Another thing actually bothers me (I don't know if this is happening to you also) is that Fujitsu loses the memory setting each time I change the input source from VP30 so I had to keep on pressing the memory button on the Fuji/AUSID remote to get the pciture settings (like Ambient sensor off...fine mode... and all the color calibrations)...even I leave the Fuji on permanent Video 5 (HDMI) connection....

Yes I also found that downloaded Divx movies are as good as the DVDs via VP30.

I hope you get the 1:1 mapping correctly and post it for 42" owners out there soon.

Cheers

Thanks Aussie, I've definitely got the Screen Orbiter turned off, but you'll be pleased to know that I'm getting the same issue as you with the Fujitsu memory setting being forgotten.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much time to experiment with it over the weekend, but I hope to do so during the week.

Shinrai, sorry that I haven't got around to comparing the differences wrt colour banding yet, I will also try to do that this week.

pandemik,

HD STBs have their own scalars - this is one reason you pay so much more for an HD STB as opposed to an SD STB. So, if you set its output to say 1080i, it will scale anything you tune into to that res. Thus, any and all SD channels are upscaled to 1080i.

[more stuff about STB/scaling...]

Sorry, very long winded and you wanted a simple answer :blink::P

ahahah no worries at all, I much prefer more detail (long winded), thanks!! :P

cheers

Another thing I found. The maximum acceptable framerates from VP30 into Fujitsu 50" panel are 63Hz going beyond this will say out of range and screen go black and white. Going over 72Hz will distort the pictures totally. I have now set up the both 50Hz and 60Hz sources to go at 63Hz unlocked.

PQ has fantastically improved.

Another thing I found. The maximum acceptable framerates from VP30 into Fujitsu 50" panel are 63Hz going beyond this will say out of range and screen go black and white. Going over 72Hz will distort the pictures totally. I have now set up the both 50Hz and 60Hz sources to go at 63Hz unlocked.

ooooh really?? I like statements like "PQ has fantastically improved" :blink::P

so you are using the unlocked 63Hz in combination with your 1:1 mapping settings?

Fantastically improved aussie?

Are you much happier than when you first received the vp30?

Maybe i should wait until everyone gets their sets correctly setup but I would like to know what the judder is like as far as the fuji is concerned. Is panning and viewing as smooth as the fuji internal scaler? Ofcourse the fuji is not smooth all the time but you know what i mean.

ooooh really?? I like statements like "PQ has fantastically improved" :blink::P

so you are using the unlocked 63Hz in combination with your 1:1 mapping settings?

Yes pandemik. 1:1 with 63Hz. PC mode RGB Color is what I have. Even the 7 HD loop looks good on it. I have Final Fantasy Animation from Japan looks stunning.. better than I used to view previously. One thing that is definately noticeable is whenever there is a letter (subtitle etc) displayed from Free to air TV. Before I could see most of letters aren't like what you normally see on PC LCD monitor but now it is very close to it.

Again, color is not perfect but this is something that calibration of panel will help so I am happy with the detail and sharpness of the picture displayed via VP30.

Fantastically improved aussie?

Are you much happier than when you first received the vp30?

Maybe i should wait until everyone gets their sets correctly setup but I would like to know what the judder is like as far as the fuji is concerned. Is panning and viewing as smooth as the fuji internal scaler? Ofcourse the fuji is not smooth all the time but you know what i mean.

Hi Shinrai.

Yes I am much happier than before. IMHO I see no judder. Panning and viewing is easy from the remote also you can save upto 4 user defined settings as some SD programs need either overscan or zomming to fit perfectly into 16:9 but HD broadcastings fit perfectly .This I did not notice previously but I think this has something to do with using AUSID to output at 720p@50Hz... I don't know....