Sign in to follow this  
JPP

The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

The nice thing with the Topfield, for those of us with Iscans, is its ability to output 576i over hdmi in auto mode.

As a side note, the panasonic eh65 dvdr can do the same.

There is normally in the back as a hard switch or a softswitch option in the menu to choose auto, 576p, 720p or 1080i ..... auto is the one which passes through the native signal ....

the STBs that I know which have the passthrough feature include:

Topfield HD STB

Thanks Marcelo.... went and swapped the LG for the Topfield TF7000HT... works a charm... Cheers!

Thanks Marcelo.... went and swapped the LG for the Topfield TF7000HT... works a charm... Cheers!

Great to hear Gino.

Does the picture improves going thorugh the VP 30, even for 1080i?

I've heard it does, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Cheers,

Marcelo

Not sure I understand your question... are you asking is the 1080i picture passing through vp30 vs 1080i direct to projector? if so, couldn't tell you, havent tried. don't see why it should though, its just passing through.

Not sure I understand your question... are you asking is the 1080i picture passing through vp30 vs 1080i direct to projector? if so, couldn't tell you, havent tried. don't see why it should though, its just passing through.

sorry, didn't explain it well .... when feeding 1080i into the VP30 and outputting 1080p, does it look good? or, is it better to send 1080i and let the projector deinterlace the last step?

CHeers,

Marcelo

PS: I've ordered the vp50 myself now also ....... rubber arm and all ....

sorry, didn't explain it well .... when feeding 1080i into the VP30 and outputting 1080p, does it look good? or, is it better to send 1080i and let the projector deinterlace the last step?

CHeers,

Marcelo

PS: I've ordered the vp50 myself now also ....... rubber arm and all ....

Marcello, VP30 can't deinterlace 1080i. It just passes it through. That's why I purchased the VP50. The VP50 apparently will do a terrific job of it, similar to how well it deinterlaces SD material.

I'd imagine only a digital 1080p projector has the abilities to do that on its own.

Anyone interested in a VP30 (Used twice - as new) + ABT-102 never installed. PM me.

I recently bought a 50 inch Plasma which supports 1080i. Now everything is going hdmi and 1080p HD/DVD Blu-Ray etc.

I have a DVDO VP30 ABT102 Card and am currently using 1080i. All the new plasma's coming out "say" 1080p, but I've read many articles that say even though they state 1080p you're really only getting 1080i.

This is the Question:

On a 50 inch Plasma (not a projector or anything larger)

1. Would I really see a difference between 1080i and 1080p

2. This is based upon which ever source, ie: can be a HD/DVD 1080p source or just a upscaled 1080i achieved thru a video processor.

I am trying to rationalize why change my plasma. I have read the human eye at 50 inch screen cannot differentiate. What's the Groups take on this ?

You advice is appreciated

I recently bought a 50 inch Plasma which supports 1080i. Now everything is going hdmi and 1080p HD/DVD Blu-Ray etc.

I have a DVDO VP30 ABT102 Card and am currently using 1080i. All the new plasma's coming out "say" 1080p, but I've read many articles that say even though they state 1080p you're really only getting 1080i.

This is the Question:

On a 50 inch Plasma (not a projector or anything larger)

2. This is based upon which ever source, ie: can be a HD/DVD 1080p source or just a upscaled 1080i achieved thru a video processor.

I am trying to rationalize why change my plasma. I have read the human eye at 50 inch screen cannot differentiate. What's the Groups take on this ?

You advice is appreciated

Come ca va Mrdoggy,

good to see you again downunder ....

on a 50"

1. depends how far you seat and the native resolution of the panel ... ie: 1080p native, you could see all resolution at around 1.8m... a 768p at 3m there would be little if any visible difference in the panel resolution. However, more importantly, is how does the panel handle the 1080i signal ... some of the new panels (NEC, Pioneer) do proper motion adaptive 1080i deinterlacing ... so the final result is not really that bad.... for example, with clean sources I sent native rate to my 768p 50" panel ... with noisy sources I send either 720p or 1080i ... as native can look really bad with bad source material.... my XR5 does a great job with 1080i material ....

2. the current breed of HD DVDs are great at outputting 1080i ... but their internal processing of 1080p is not the best... apparently there is one bluray player which will output direct from the disc without processing 1080p24fps .... the scaler is only as good as the source... clean SD or reasonable 1080i should look very good from a scaler to a plasma.... ie: some of the better shows, when I use my SD PVR (topfield) sending 576i to the DVDO VP30 ... it looks very very close to HD .... on a 50" 768p @ 2.8m away ....

Its all up to the distance... how far you seat from the 50" and the native resolution of the 50" ..... ie: 768p @ 3m .... 1080p may not make much of a difference... if you do seat between 2 - 2.5m from a 50" 1080p should make a difference....

now, you also have to look at the sources.... great sources 1080i HD TV and 1080i/p HD DVD should improve with 1080p displays... but SD sources... SKy, 576i/480i stuff have the potential to look even worse on 1080p displays....

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

marcelo

Big Marcelo,

Thanks for the Input as always precise.

I vist the down under site caus you have the same problems as Europe

We sit about 3-4 meters so it sounds like I'm OKAY. :blink:

thanks

best

Misterdoggy

Finally got around to installing v1.10 and the abt102. No dramas at all... very happy with results. On a 136" wide pic at 1080p, it does a great job. :blink:

I have received my vp30 back from synergy with abt and upgraded fro 1.07 to 1.10

Seems to work way better now on small crt tv - yet to try it on 720p pj yet on 108" screen

Big Marcelo,

Thanks for the Input as always precise.

I vist the down under site caus you have the same problems as Europe

We sit about 3-4 meters so it sounds like I'm OKAY. :blink:

thanks

best

Misterdoggy

hey buddy,

at that distance, your best bet would be to upgrade to a 60" 1080p when they become affordable/available..... the picture should be great and you would be able to see all the 1080p resolution at that distance..... specially great for movies I would imagine....

Cheers,

Marcelo

Good News for VP30 Owners, here's the latest news posted by Josh of DVDO on AVS...

The software that Mark is referring to, v1.11 for the VP30 (and v1.02 for the VP20), should be available on our website by Wednesday(yes, February 21st). These versions integrate the audio improvements that were made in the VP50 in v1.01, while forthcoming versions will have the discrete IR fix and passthrough. The forthcoming version will be delivered by mid-March.

Good News for VP30 Owners, here's the latest news posted by Josh of DVDO on AVS...

Hi Foggy

Any further news yet about the 1080i or 1080p passthrough on the vp30?

Would save me doing cable swapping :blink:

Hi Foggy

Any further news yet about the 1080i or 1080p passthrough on the vp30?

Would save me doing cable swapping :D

Still no official news on that front norpus. Maybe beejay76 was justified in his pessimism. :blink:

Still no official news on that front norpus. Maybe beejay76 was justified in his pessimism. :blink:

It would appear your prayers have been answered.

Firmware 1.12 (beta) is now out and includes pass-through :D

Chui

It would appear your prayers have been answered.

Firmware 1.12 (beta) is now out and includes pass-through :blink:

Chui

Thanks Chui,

I'd given up checking their web site.

Thanks for the heads-up Chui.... this saves me from having to upgrade to a VP50

Thanks for the heads-up Chui.... this saves me from having to upgrade to a VP50

Will the DVDO improve Foxtel digital picture on a 46 inch HD TV?

Will the DVDO improve Foxtel digital picture on a 46 inch HD TV?

absolutely - however depending on how far you seat from your set, will dictate how much improvement you see....

the biggest improvements will be on the better channels... the really bad/bitrate starved content.. there isn't much you can do, but it will improve it nevertheless ....