The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Hi Norpus.

Just curious, what interlacing/de-interlacing artifacts are you seeing? One I see is an apparent severe case of combing when very fast moving objects traverse the screen or where an object has a fast moving component in/on it, for example a moving aircraft that has a spinning propeller (as it is taxiing down a runway). In this instance, the area covered by the propeller is severely combed. Others on AVS have reported similar findings with fast moving objects. Do you have any others to add? I'm still on Vs 1.07.

Phil.

On M&C dvd, there is so much noise in the gray sky - looks like an a storm happening yet it is just fog. Lots of moving horizontal lines.

Deinterlacing, jaggies on text etc has gone backwards in a big way - worse than before vp30

Combing evident too

There must be a fault as this is truly awful :blink:

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I still have my ABT102 in the box, have just been lazy getting around to installing it. So currently VP30 is just 1.0

Sounds like the bugs still haven't been ironed out, and results sound like they are worse than without the the ABT102?? Should I just keep it in the box for now?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted for a long time - waiting to finally decide on a suitable TV.

I mentioned previously we had a Sony 50" RP LCD. The VP30 didn't do anything good for it but the noisy cooling fan decided me to get rid of it (after the second one had the same problem). If I'd kept it I would have asked Avical to calibrate.

Now we're waiting on a Panasonic HD plasma TH-50PV60 (new shipment arriving soon).

I note that big Marcelo refers to the "generation 9"? Panasonic - which I believe ours will be.

Does anyone think that the VP30 will now be redundant?

Our VP30 has 1.6 - doing nothing - and there is a new ABT-102 card still in its unopened box alongside.

Do you think I should part with them?

Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards

I haven't posted for a long time - waiting to finally decide on a suitable TV.

I mentioned previously we had a Sony 50" RP LCD. The VP30 didn't do anything good for it but the noisy cooling fan decided me to get rid of it (after the second one had the same problem). If I'd kept it I would have asked Avical to calibrate.

Now we're waiting on a Panasonic HD plasma TH-50PV60 (new shipment arriving soon).

I note that big Marcelo refers to the "generation 9"? Panasonic - which I believe ours will be.

Does anyone think that the VP30 will now be redundant?

Our VP30 has 1.6 - doing nothing - and there is a new ABT-102 card still in its unopened box alongside.

Do you think I should part with them?

Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards

IMHO the VP30 will still be better at deinterlacing SD sources then all plasmas - however the results may not be say $3k better....if you know what I mean ..... with older sets the results were phenomenal... now is no longer the case.. I bought my first scaler over 18 months ago... so I kept upgrading... if I was in the market for a new one now (and didn't have one yet), I would think twice, or perhaps go for a lower end model (DVDO HD+ or Lumagen Vision DVI - both HDCP compatible) to work mostly for SD sources......

ie: SD DVD and Foxtel are were scalers shine.... HD & SD TV and new HD DVDs.... little if any improvement..... so would depend on your viewing habits and budget......

owners of Fujitsu and new NEC plasmas in the US really don't bother with scalers.... some tried and stop using them ..... the UK users still like to have their Lumagens for 1080i deinterlacing..... but they are known videophiles......... so, IMHO if you think a 10-20% improvement overall on average would warrant $3k .... the VP30 is for you .... .... I think, now, many with good displays (such as the 9 series pana, fuji and NEC) would probably seriously consider investing the $3k in a HD DVD and/or HDTV PVR ...

the issues some people are having with the 102 card and updates can normally be fixed with a hard reset (you'll loose your settings) or by unplugging the VP30 for 1 hour or so .... if that is not the case, the product should be returned for an exchange.... mine is ok (ABT102 & V1.07 ......)

also, firmware V1.10 should be out later this week ... v9.09 has some issues with retaining input memory .... so 1.07 is the best yet I believe ....

IMHO the VP30 will still be better at deinterlacing SD sources then all plasmas - however the results may not be say $3k better....if you know what I mean ..... with older sets the results were phenomenal... now is no longer the case.. I bought my first scaler over 18 months ago... so I kept upgrading... if I was in the market for a new one now (and didn't have one yet), I would think twice, or perhaps go for a lower end model (DVDO HD+ or Lumagen Vision DVI - both HDCP compatible) to work mostly for SD sources......

ie: SD DVD and Foxtel are were scalers shine.... HD & SD TV and new HD DVDs.... little if any improvement..... so would depend on your viewing habits and budget......

owners of Fujitsu and new NEC plasmas in the US really don't bother with scalers.... some tried and stop using them ..... the UK users still like to have their Lumagens for 1080i deinterlacing..... but they are known videophiles......... so, IMHO if you think a 10-20% improvement overall on average would warrant $3k .... the VP30 is for you .... .... I think, now, many with good displays (such as the 9 series pana, fuji and NEC) would probably seriously consider investing the $3k in a HD DVD and/or HDTV PVR ...

the issues some people are having with the 102 card and updates can normally be fixed with a hard reset (you'll loose your settings) or by unplugging the VP30 for 1 hour or so .... if that is not the case, the product should be returned for an exchange.... mine is ok (ABT102 & V1.07 ......)

also, firmware V1.10 should be out later this week ... v9.09 has some issues with retaining input memory .... so 1.07 is the best yet I believe ....

Thank you marcelo,

I agree.

Since the new (gen. 9 HD) displays (at much recently reduced prices!), the $3k, or so, could be well spent otherwise.

I have been thinking seriously about an HD PVR (our component out Yamaha DVD-CX1 will do fine for quite some time to come - it was brilliant with the Sony RP LCD).

Plus, I am not inclined to put up with all the hassles of VP30 updates and their consequences.

Also, Aaron (Avical) is stretched very thin. If he were to do our setup, we would have to wait yonks. He is so busy, he does not answer emails. There is only one of him - spread over our continent.

Anyone else with advice or suggestions is most welcome. It is time to purge the dross from the essence.

Regards

No real probs, just very occasional audio dropout and all of these seem to be from DVD. I'm only using one HDMI input, and that''s from DVI on the STB.

How about you?

No real probs, just very occasional audio dropout and all of these seem to be from DVD. I'm only using one HDMI input, and that''s from DVI on the STB.

How about you?

Still getting complete lockups albeit rarely these days. When I do, it's a bugger to get the VP30 to go again. Have to power cycle, select various video inputs and generally fart around a lot to get a picture up again. The sound is always there though, even though I just get a black screen. Had a weird one a few days ago. Suddenly, the overscan I had to apply when I upgraded to the ABT102/Vs 1.07 FW, was way to big and I had to set it back to zero. Has been that way ever since and only on the one component input.

Sound dropouts have been minimal and of course I've had the documented loss of profile setting when swithcing back from test pattern. As always, when it goes, it's fantastic - much better picture than my son's Panny 42in HD Vierra which I helped him set up last weekend. Part of it stands to reason what with Plama's 42in lower native res of 1024 x 768. Can't understand either why they have a highly reflective glass surface. The beaut high contrast that plasmas can offer is shot to pieces in an average lit room during daytime. Pleasantly surprised at how good it looked though with 576i inputs. I won't go into this any further as we'll just start a panel "discussion" again. :blink: . Think I'll bite the bullet over the next couple of days. :D

I don't remember ever having the lock-up problem. With your posts on AVS and problems mentioned, have you had much direct contact with DVDO? Seems to me that you would be the type of user they would want to 'interrogate'.

The overscan problem that you mention sounds bizarre, but nothing surprises me.

Cheers,

Chui

Hi Chui,

To continue with this dialog between the 2 of us. :blink:

Yes, I did have contact with DVDO in the early days, but it would appear that apart from Ofer Laor, they don't "encourage" any other non-US customers to become part of their beta team. I did volunteer after Vs 1.0 was released, but did not get any response to that. No matter, the Forum gives us all the opportunity to be "beta testers".

Phil.

Added ‘Panorama’ Feature

Non-linear stretch can now be applied to a 4:3 signal so that it will fill a 16:9 screen with minimal perceptual distortion in the center of the screen. This mode can be turned ‘On’ or ‘Off’ in the Input Aspect Ratio submenu. Additionally this feature can be accessed in the IAR presets and it is titled ‘4:3 Stretch’.

What are your thoughts on this feature? Does it work well? I'd consider upgrading to 1.10 if this 4:3 feature worked well, as presently I don't like to watch 1.33 on my 1.92 aspect ratio. Gives uneven wear on the tubes.

What are your thoughts on this feature? Does it work well? I'd consider upgrading to 1.10 if this 4:3 feature worked well, as presently I don't like to watch 1.33 on my 1.92 aspect ratio. Gives uneven wear on the tubes.

I'm using 1.09a, which is the same as 1.10 (changed names only) - its very stable.

The 4:3 stretch feature is ok, however I expected it to be better... its better then non-NLS stretch, but not by much.

my NEC has a better NLS mode then the VP30 .... pretty sad .. but, at least, when I run the plasma in 1:1 mode I can do NLS via the VP30.... which the plasma can't when it bypasses its scaler....

I've had my HD+/VP30 for nearly 2 years..... finally installed on my new plasma last night.... I'm very happy .... but I have having to break-in the plasmas and having the brightness and contrast turned down.... hard to see on dark scenes like westwing and 24 .....

Cheers,

Marcelo

Still getting complete lockups albeit rarely these days. When I do, it's a bugger to get the VP30 to go again. Have to power cycle, select various video inputs and generally fart around a lot to get a picture up again. The sound is always there though, even though I just get a black screen. Had a weird one a few days ago. Suddenly, the overscan I had to apply when I upgraded to the ABT102/Vs 1.07 FW, was way to big and I had to set it back to zero. Has been that way ever since and only on the one component input.

Sound dropouts have been minimal and of course I've had the documented loss of profile setting when swithcing back from test pattern. As always, when it goes, it's fantastic - much better picture than my son's Panny 42in HD Vierra which I helped him set up last weekend. Part of it stands to reason what with Plama's 42in lower native res of 1024 x 768. Can't understand either why they have a highly reflective glass surface. The beaut high contrast that plasmas can offer is shot to pieces in an average lit room during daytime. Pleasantly surprised at how good it looked though with 576i inputs. I won't go into this any further as we'll just start a panel "discussion" again. :blink: . Think I'll bite the bullet over the next couple of days. :D

OT, but phil if you are considering upgrading .. go for a 50" .... I'm at 2.2m, the VP30 does a wonderful job on SD broadcasts.... I'm already used to it...... and I thought it would take me 2-3 weeks to get used to the size...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Gladiator extended edition on my NEC XR5 (140 hrs on board so far), using the Oppo 970 (480i out via HDMI) and the DVDO VP30 - sending native rate to the panel......

the level of detail and clarity is amazing!! I'm soo happy ....

black levels are not perfect, but I can see all the detail in dark scenes (dark grey rather then black).... black levels have improved since I first had the panel... which is good.

finally happy with my tweaked settings - after 100 hours I started to use CPCATs (AVS Forum) setting and doing minor tweaks with the NEC and DVDO to get to where I'm happy before I build enough hours for ISF calibration (even though I think the current PQ would be hard to beat, calibration or not....).

comparing sending different resolutions to the plasma from the DVDO

720 - solid PQ, stable - great

1080i - very film like, if a bit softer

768p (native) - sharp, solid, film-like & Crystal clear - makes the other resolutions look a bit 'fuzzy' in comparisson ..... even 720p

When I was breaking in the panel and didn't want to use 1:1 mapping (as you have to disable the PDP saver features), I thought 1:1 couldn't be that much better then 720p .... very close to native anyway ....

big difference..... only gets scaled once, instead of twice ....

if you have a chance to see this panel at native rate, .. do it .... its fantastic ....

the pioneer MXE20 50" should be even better - 50 & 60hz native & better blacks..... but $2k more..... but only available in October/November....

I'm pretty happy with my 'compromise'...

quick update on the VP30 and the NEC

Had JPP and Foggy come over last week to check it out.

JPP had tremendously well trained eyes and immediately spotted the crushed blacks... so while we had some wine and cheese, JPP (Phil) was busy going through all test patterns and adjusting my panel....

great job phil & Foggy ..... my PQ has drastically improved.....

I've got around 220 hours on the panel now.... byt the time it gets close to 400 will be the time that hopefully I'll get Aaron around for a full ISF calibration....

very happy......

Finally got around to installing v1.10 and the abt102. No dramas at all... very happy with results. On a 136" wide pic at 1080p, it does a great job. :blink:

great stuff...

what projector are you using Gino? are you considering the VP50? on a 136" screen may make a visitble difference properly deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p ....

Anyone heard of VP30 to VP50 trade-in program? Not on DVDO site yet....

great stuff...

what projector are you using Gino? are you considering the VP50? on a 136" screen may make a visitble difference properly deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p ....

Great to know that you have finally landed on the world of 50" plasma... wise decision on NEC... good to see u r very happy with it too....

Anyone heard of VP30 to VP50 trade-in program? Not on DVDO site yet....

Great to know that you have finally landed on the world of 50" plasma... wise decision on NEC... good to see u r very happy with it too....

thanks Aussie.... it was about time really .... the NEC likes 60hz and the VP30 obliges.... no judder (except a little on scrolling text).

no word on the upgrade price yet....

thanks Aussie.... it was about time really .... the NEC likes 60hz and the VP30 obliges.... no judder (except a little on scrolling text).

no word on the upgrade price yet....

kind of feeling that i got ripped off with VP30...not the actual price (group buy was fantastic)... but I expected that VP30 could be future proof... now with VP50 doing 1080p scaling feature, VP30 will never get around with this....making choice of upgrade to VP50 a must for some of us...

kind of feeling that i got ripped off with VP30...not the actual price (group buy was fantastic)... but I expected that VP30 could be future proof... now with VP50 doing 1080p scaling feature, VP30 will never get around with this....making choice of upgrade to VP50 a must for some of us...

Im worried that the upgrade price is going to be way out of my price range.

The group buy price for the VP30 and ABT102 was great - even so, the price difference between the 30 and 50 is US$1000, it might be just too much of a stretch for me. :blink:

David

great stuff...

See my other thread: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=ST&...=63&t=38160

VP30 can do 1080p scaling now... what the VP50 can do is 1080i de-interlacing to 1080p, where the VP30 just passes it through. In any case, VP30 was very well priced for what it does, but comparitively, at the time if you were to find something that could de-interlace 1080i you would be looking at paying for that lots lots more.... so dont feel ripped off.

Guys, I'm sure this has been answered in here before, but I can't be bothered reading through 48 pages.... but,

I recently bought a HD-STB, what is the best connection to the VP30 and at what resolution? It supports DVI, Component, RGB.... I'm assuming that is order of preference? What about resolutions? I've tried 1080i, 720p, 576i.... I can't see any difference on my setup. They all look good to me :blink:

There isn't any native resolution for the 'Twins' but I have them basically running at 1080p@72/75Hz. The VP30 connects to them at 720p@72/75Hz... why not 1080p? Because it seems the VP30 only allows 1080p@50/60Hz and this is too slow for me, plus syncing is better between the VP30 and the DVX8022 when both set to 72/75Hz

Guest Sparky66

Man'O' man here we go again. Dvdo are offering a trade-in deal on your VP30 for the VP50. Note you must be a AVS Forum Member !!

I wonder what group buy deal we can get for shipping charges discount for trade-in with our Aussie dealer. ??? Might save heaps on shipping costs alone.Will need to investigate ASAP.

One hiccup is we have a time frame for price discount that decreases US$100 weekly (over 4 weeks) till the 18th September. We have till midnight 27th August for maximum pre-order discount of US$400.

Basically you get a trade-in credit of: US$1600 for VP30 with ABT102 Card + US$400 pre-order discount. Total price paid will be US$999 + US$250 :blink: shipping to Australia = US$1249 (~ $1,637.38 AUD).

Or if you have the VP30 without the ABT102 Card you get a trade-in credit of: US$1400 for VP30 + US$400 pre-order discount. Total price paid will be US$1,199 + US$250 :D shipping to Australia = US$1449 (~ $1,899.58 AUD).

Note that shipping for international orders includes taxes/duties/shipping! Once the iScan VP50 arrives, you will have 30 days to return your old iScan unit for trade-in credit of $1600. In most cases, you will need to return your trade-in unit to your local authorized DVDO distributor or reseller i.e Aussie Dealer I guess.

Link to DVDO trade-in deal

Guys, I'm sure this has been answered in here before, but I can't be bothered reading through 48 pages.... but,

I recently bought a HD-STB, what is the best connection to the VP30 and at what resolution? It supports DVI, Component, RGB.... I'm assuming that is order of preference? What about resolutions? I've tried 1080i, 720p, 576i.... I can't see any difference on my setup. They all look good to me :blink:

There isn't any native resolution for the 'Twins' but I have them basically running at 1080p@72/75Hz. The VP30 connects to them at 720p@72/75Hz... why not 1080p? Because it seems the VP30 only allows 1080p@50/60Hz and this is too slow for me, plus syncing is better between the VP30 and the DVX8022 when both set to 72/75Hz

Hi Gino,

ideally the HD STB can passtrhough the 'native' signal of the transmission.. ie: 1080i on Nine and Ten, 720p on ABC and 576p on Seven (actually, on seven you'd get better results outputting 576i and letting the VP30 do its job).

In the case of the STB not having an auto setting to let the original signal format passthrough, it would be a case of trying different ones (as you have done), and perhaps setting on the format of the channels you watch the most - 1080i could be good.....

pitty the VP30 can't output 1080p 72hz.....

Hi Gino,

ideally the HD STB can passtrhough the 'native' signal of the transmission.. ie: 1080i on Nine and Ten, 720p on ABC and 576p on Seven (actually, on seven you'd get better results outputting 576i and letting the VP30 do its job).

In the case of the STB not having an auto setting to let the original signal format passthrough, it would be a case of trying different ones (as you have done), and perhaps setting on the format of the channels you watch the most - 1080i could be good.....

pitty the VP30 can't output 1080p 72hz.....

Hi Marcelo, which STB's allow this passthrough? Sounds like a feature I'd like, will try returning my current one. Don't think it can.

What's more of a pity is that the VP50 can't output 1080p above 60Hz :blink:

Hi Marcelo, which STB's allow this passthrough? Sounds like a feature I'd like, will try returning my current one. Don't think it can.

What's more of a pity is that the VP50 can't output 1080p above 60Hz :blink:

Hey Gino,

There is normally in the back as a hard switch or a softswitch option in the menu to choose auto, 576p, 720p or 1080i ..... auto is the one which passes through the native signal ....

The only issues some users sometimes have on this setting is that it takes a couple of seconds when changing channels to get the proper synch between the stb and the VP30 as the STB is sending different output settings ... if you choose a set resolution (ie: 1080i), the channel changes can be faster...

the STBs that I know which have the passthrough feature include:

Topfield HD STB

Toshiba HD PVR J-35

SOny HD PVR

I'm sure there are others out there

The nice thing with the Topfield, for those of us with Iscans, is its ability to output 576i over hdmi in auto mode.

As a side note, the panasonic eh65 dvdr can do the same.

There is normally in the back as a hard switch or a softswitch option in the menu to choose auto, 576p, 720p or 1080i ..... auto is the one which passes through the native signal ....

the STBs that I know which have the passthrough feature include:

Topfield HD STB

Thanks Marcelo.... went and swapped the LG for the Topfield TF7000HT... works a charm... Cheers!

Thanks Marcelo.... went and swapped the LG for the Topfield TF7000HT... works a charm... Cheers!

Great to hear Gino.

Does the picture improves going thorugh the VP 30, even for 1080i?

I've heard it does, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Cheers,

Marcelo

Not sure I understand your question... are you asking is the 1080i picture passing through vp30 vs 1080i direct to projector? if so, couldn't tell you, havent tried. don't see why it should though, its just passing through.

Not sure I understand your question... are you asking is the 1080i picture passing through vp30 vs 1080i direct to projector? if so, couldn't tell you, havent tried. don't see why it should though, its just passing through.

sorry, didn't explain it well .... when feeding 1080i into the VP30 and outputting 1080p, does it look good? or, is it better to send 1080i and let the projector deinterlace the last step?

CHeers,

Marcelo

PS: I've ordered the vp50 myself now also ....... rubber arm and all ....

sorry, didn't explain it well .... when feeding 1080i into the VP30 and outputting 1080p, does it look good? or, is it better to send 1080i and let the projector deinterlace the last step?

CHeers,

Marcelo

PS: I've ordered the vp50 myself now also ....... rubber arm and all ....

Marcello, VP30 can't deinterlace 1080i. It just passes it through. That's why I purchased the VP50. The VP50 apparently will do a terrific job of it, similar to how well it deinterlaces SD material.

I'd imagine only a digital 1080p projector has the abilities to do that on its own.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a 50 inch Plasma which supports 1080i. Now everything is going hdmi and 1080p HD/DVD Blu-Ray etc.

I have a DVDO VP30 ABT102 Card and am currently using 1080i. All the new plasma's coming out "say" 1080p, but I've read many articles that say even though they state 1080p you're really only getting 1080i.

This is the Question:

On a 50 inch Plasma (not a projector or anything larger)

1. Would I really see a difference between 1080i and 1080p

2. This is based upon which ever source, ie: can be a HD/DVD 1080p source or just a upscaled 1080i achieved thru a video processor.

I am trying to rationalize why change my plasma. I have read the human eye at 50 inch screen cannot differentiate. What's the Groups take on this ?

You advice is appreciated

I recently bought a 50 inch Plasma which supports 1080i. Now everything is going hdmi and 1080p HD/DVD Blu-Ray etc.

I have a DVDO VP30 ABT102 Card and am currently using 1080i. All the new plasma's coming out "say" 1080p, but I've read many articles that say even though they state 1080p you're really only getting 1080i.

This is the Question:

On a 50 inch Plasma (not a projector or anything larger)

2. This is based upon which ever source, ie: can be a HD/DVD 1080p source or just a upscaled 1080i achieved thru a video processor.

I am trying to rationalize why change my plasma. I have read the human eye at 50 inch screen cannot differentiate. What's the Groups take on this ?

You advice is appreciated

Come ca va Mrdoggy,

good to see you again downunder ....

on a 50"

1. depends how far you seat and the native resolution of the panel ... ie: 1080p native, you could see all resolution at around 1.8m... a 768p at 3m there would be little if any visible difference in the panel resolution. However, more importantly, is how does the panel handle the 1080i signal ... some of the new panels (NEC, Pioneer) do proper motion adaptive 1080i deinterlacing ... so the final result is not really that bad.... for example, with clean sources I sent native rate to my 768p 50" panel ... with noisy sources I send either 720p or 1080i ... as native can look really bad with bad source material.... my XR5 does a great job with 1080i material ....

2. the current breed of HD DVDs are great at outputting 1080i ... but their internal processing of 1080p is not the best... apparently there is one bluray player which will output direct from the disc without processing 1080p24fps .... the scaler is only as good as the source... clean SD or reasonable 1080i should look very good from a scaler to a plasma.... ie: some of the better shows, when I use my SD PVR (topfield) sending 576i to the DVDO VP30 ... it looks very very close to HD .... on a 50" 768p @ 2.8m away ....

Its all up to the distance... how far you seat from the 50" and the native resolution of the 50" ..... ie: 768p @ 3m .... 1080p may not make much of a difference... if you do seat between 2 - 2.5m from a 50" 1080p should make a difference....

now, you also have to look at the sources.... great sources 1080i HD TV and 1080i/p HD DVD should improve with 1080p displays... but SD sources... SKy, 576i/480i stuff have the potential to look even worse on 1080p displays....

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

marcelo