The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Phil, I could almost kiss you :P:blink:

You've just helped me decide which DVD player I'll be buying for my HT Room.

Isn't HD-DVD due here later this year?

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't HD-DVD due here later this year?

yes, but that can wait another year. I can't see myself replacing my DVD collection in a hurry, and the VP30 with Oppo via SDI seems to do a nice job with SD.

Worst case is that I would use the Oppo for playing SD discs, and get a new HD player for the newer titles. I doubt any of the HD players hitting the market in the next year will focus on quality upscaling of SD discs, and if they did, they would have a hard time matching the quality of the VP30/Oppo/SDI combo.

:blink: Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Long live the ABT102. Now my Oppo 971H with the Pixel Magic SDI board works just magnificently at 50Hz . :P.

Off to do some more real testing now, but having now got the SDI output of the Oppo to work is a fantastic bonus.

JPP,

thats great news.

Ive been hanging off buying an SDI output board for my HTPC, because I had read of similar problems you described with your Oppo, with the PC SDI card, when hooked up to the iScanHD and iScan HD+ scalers.

Ive been holding off buying the PC SDI card, as I didnt want to blow $300 and find out problems at 50Hz.

From your investigation, it sounds like the Sil50x processor could have been part of the problem.

Ill probably go ahead now and purchase the Pixel Magic PC SDI card.

Thanks for posting your findings.

Regards

David

and the VP30 with Oppo via SDI seems to do a nice job with SD.

Now "seems to do a nice job" is somewhat of an understatement!!! You guys.... I would die to have an oppo via SDI to vp30 for my CRT Projector.

A question...

Most of recent dvds come with 2.35:1 aspect ratios.. I have been watching as letterboxed believing that zooming from VP30 to fit my display pixels will detriment PQ. Though tonight I thought for the sake of my plasma's wellbeing, I zoomed vertical and panned to fit exactly with my panel and watched it but did not see any noticeable PQ issues (I mean only with my dumb eyes...sometimes it is better not to have superman's eyes so that I would not mind some PQ losses when it happens.....cuz I know what it is like identifying an issue which just gets stuck in your mind and eyes). Is this what everyone else is doing with 2.35:1 ratio movies or is there a brighter idea/suggestion?

Mind you because I have achieved pixel matching my Fuji 50" at 1360*768 I had to zoom the horizontal scanning to fit the missing 3 lines on each side also to fill the screens. Is this a bad practice?

Any comments/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

At the risk of offending the you-MUST-watch-it-as-the-director-intended "nazis" :P , I also zoom to fill the screen.

To bring the aspect ratio back to something closer than original, I also stretch horizontally but only to about half the amount I've stretched the height. That way you don't loose too much of the side of the image and the ratio looks reasonably normal.

As far as picture quality goes, I would say there is a marginal softening of the image but after a moment or so you're not even aware of it. The scaling is one of the reasons I love the VP30...it does a brilliant job plus you can scale to your own preference rather using presets of the PDP or DVD player.

I also use the scaling for any 4:3 stuff off the telly (or DVD). You don't need a VP30 to do it if you are using a Toppy (just use 4:3 centre extract), but a Toshiba J35 (via HDMI) doesn't allow it...yet another reason for a VP30 :blink:

Cheers,

Cliff

CliffofOz

Hmmm....................

Your statement should be TRANSLATED.............

you-MUST-watch-it-on-non-HTPCs-as-quality-aren't-as-good-"nazis" :blink:

The track record of external scalers are woeful, expensive and zoom capability degrades quality from what I've seen.

And now our latest convert to a HTPC is.............cough cough.......

DA

Upgraded my VP30 today - ABT102 card and Lens .... pretty quick to do the hardware upgrade...

the software was ok, but I couldn't get my USB to RS232 adapter to work (FTDI compliant) - ended up borrowing a friend's laptop with RS232 out and linking that directly to the DVDO - the first time it gave me a loading error and kept on rebooting non-stop ... loaded it again, and all was fine..... pretty primitive loading procedures really ..... it should be easier and USB port standard.....

have you guys heard of the VP20 yet? Cut down of the VP30 with only digital out and less customisation .... supposedly pretty big price difference and should be out next week ....

Everyone getting their current VP30 to work and having discussions about the VP50 ...... the VP20 was a big surprise to me.....

The track record of external scalers are woeful, expensive and zoom capability degrades quality from what I've seen.

I'll take the bait :P

"woeful" - not in my experience.

"expensive" - absolutely. An indulgence but worth it for functionality as AV hub, plus (hopefully) an excellent descaler (with ABT102).

"zoom degrades quality". Yes, but the degree is the issue. If like to zoom then you how do you do that with minimal degradation? A VP30 does it better than anything I've seen.

As far as HTPC's go, if you can get it to well then good luck to you. I've lost countless hours stuffing around with mine. In fact, the VP30 now makes it HTPC more usable in that it (1) supports RGBHV as input and (2) allows me to scale the image as I need.

I want to have another shot at a HTPC set up with my next PC, so I haven't totally given up on the idea yet. Value wise, a good HTPC set up would a killer (dual HD PVR, DVD, games machine). If you don't want the hassle and have the cash (or credit), a VP30 is an easier alternative. Even better, have both :blink:

Cheers,

Cliff

Well, I've been spending a fair bit of time with the new VP30 + deinterlacer card on my new (and Samsung's latest 63" plasma) PS-63P5H.

Big improvement overall - particularly Foxtel, although I haven't set up DVD as yet.

BTW, I also hitched the big plasma up to the Denon AVC-A1XVA before it being installed in the theatre, and although the video processing options are limited it enhanced both Foxtel and J35 images quite noticeably. Not quite as good as the VP 30, but pretty much plug and play.

My question is has anyone tweaked the VP30 with the Toshiba J35? I would be most grateful for some setting hints as that perfect setting is eluding me.

regards,

Tasso

My question is has anyone tweaked the VP30 with the Toshiba J35?

Also using Toshiba and VP30 (into 1280 x 768 plasma via HDMI) so also interested if people found any useful tips.

Currently I leave set the J35 to output 720p and VP30 to output 720p-50 so hopefully the VP30 is just passing the signal through. Alway found the J35 to produce an excellent image and with these settings I find VP30 isn't doing anything to stuff it up. In this situation I just want the VP30 to function as an AV hub. The only except when watching 4:3 material...then I use the scaler to stretch it to fill the screen.

Cheers,

Cliff

Interim Manual on ABT102 Test DVD.

For ease of access, I have copied and combined Stacy Spears' (one of the authors of the DVD) posts on how to interpret the ABT102 test DVD here. DVDO say they will be publishing some sort of manual in the future. It makes facinating reading.

I could not think of a better name than "half patterns". These map to the patterns in the VP30 where half of the image is transparent. The idea is you would pull up that pattern on the disc and then go to it on the VP30. This will allow you to verify color space conversion, as an example. The bars may not line up exactly due to pixel cropping in a player, but the colors should match.

I need to explain the bad edit tests located under source adaptive. It contains the following bad edits:

# ...AABBBCCDDD-BBBCCDDDAA... (...3-2-3-|3-2...)

# ...AABBBCCDDD-DDAABBBCCD... (...3-2-3-|2-2-3-2...)

#

# ...BCCDDDAABB-BBBCCDDDAA... (...3-2-2-|3-2...) *

# ...BCCDDDAABB-AABBBCCDDD... (...3-2-2-|2-3-2...) *

# ...BCCDDDAABB-DDAABBBCCD... (...3-2-2-|2-2-3-2...)

#

# ...BBBCCDDDAA-AABBBCCDDD... (...3-2-|2-3-2...)

# ...BBBCCDDDAA-DDAABBBCCD... (...3-2-|2-2-3-2...)

These are 7 of the 25 possible bad edits with 2-3. These are the only 7 that do not contain a single field. The purpose of this test is to see if a processor can track across an edit w/o dropping to video.

The first time you see the text, this means the next edit, or loop, will contain that edit. At that point the text color will invert but remain the same. This gives you time to read what the edit was, incase it dropped out of film lock. The next edit, however, will actually be clean. So you have bad, clean, bad, clean, etc...

If a processor drops lock, it should only occur on the first of each. If it occurs on the clean edits too, that is even worse.

The montage was edited by hand to ensure that almost every cut is a bad edit. The cross fades are usually 2-3 to 2-2, 2-2 to 2-3 or 2-3 to 2-3 where one 2-3 is out of phase with the other.

The montage is more enjoyable with audio.

There are multiple edge adaptive clips. These show a processors ability to deal with jaggies.

Aside from the synthetic clip, there is ropes, ship and hockey. This clips show was sets apart the ABT102 apart from the HQV and the Gennum.

In ships there are a pair of horizontal and vertical ropes that intersect. The Gennum and HQV shows jaggies across the ropes. The ABT102 only shows jaggies at the intersection of the ropes.

With hockey you should look at the markers on the ice. Again, the ABT102 maintains solid lines while the HQV and Gennum shows jaggies. The top of the glass is also another good location to look at.

The Gennum does the worst on jaggies. Take a look at the far right side of the ship. You want to look at the side of the ship.

The montage may actually be a bit boring if you watch it on the ABT102. You should take a look at it on something else, like the Toshiba HD DVD player when it is outputting 480p. It combs on almost every cut. There are also many markers in the montage that show jaggies when not in film mode. The coffee cups, the car hood, the round parts of the open piano, the lights on the motor cycle. You want to look at scene changes and those objects. The Gennum does unusually bad on the motorcycle near the end. There is an isolated portion of the image that combs on every cut.

The Denon 5910 does well on the cadence patterns, but the NEC Theatersync does poorly. It only locks on the 2-3 pattern on the high detail tests. It does fine on the diner clips. These are both using the HQV but the results are much different. The 5910 does a lot better than the NEC as well as the Yamaha with HQV.

The tracking ability of the ABT102 is something I like a lot. Play the high detail play all clip. This goes through each cadence pattern. It will repeate each one twice and then go on to the next. The AB102 drops on each 2-2 loop, but never drops after that.

I believe Josh and co are working on some docs. We did not have time to get them done prior to the disc shipping. The goal was to have on-screen examples like the HQV disc, but we ran out of time.

For a refresher on ICP and CUE, please read:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/...bug-4-2001.html

The chroma bug tests are both DVD player and processor tests. First you want to disable the CUE correction feature of the VP30 when running these tests. All DVD players suffer from ICP, some worse than others. DVD players should be able to pass the 2-2 and 2-3 tests. These tests should tell you if they suffer and how severe. There are four rows of squares. The 2nd row can be ignored. That is really there for processors to detect a cadence. You see processors only look at the luma channel when doing cadence detection. To show the chroma bug you want to remove luma. The chroma lines in motion, should not flicker and should be clean and straight. By straight I mean not jagged. If you see jaggies in the bottom two rows, you have the bug. Again, 2-2 and 2-3 should be clean while ICP will have jaggies.

On the processor side, you are testing to see if it has a chroma filter to mask thee artifacts. Once you have done the above, set CUE correction to on or auto. The bars should clean up some. If you have an RP56 or RP81, the ICP cleans up very well because it is minor. If you have a Pioneer, it does not clean up as well because the ICP is so severe.

I am interested in some feedback on the image cropping pattern. This is located under static patterns -> geometry. This is a bit different than AVIA. AVIA is 0 based while ours is 1 based. You simply go to the first number that is missing the end and that is how many are cropped.

The HD version is much more interesting because it includes test for accurate gamma, linear light scaling and 1:1 mapping.

... The only exception being when watching 4:3 material...then I use the scaler to stretch it to fill the screen.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi Cliff. Seems like you're not alone in wanting to stretch things to fill up the whole of a 16:9 screen size. It would be interesting to see or compare the VP30 in its scaling ability vs the ABC's, now that they do it themselves on several shows, one being The West Wing. The series they are currently screening is several years old, pretty low res, low in light and of course 4:3 to boot. Now if they had left it at 4:3, would our VP30s have done a better job of it I wonder? It's pretty crummy now. :blink:

Also using Toshiba and VP30 (into 1280 x 768 plasma via HDMI) so also interested if people found any useful tips.

Currently I leave set the J35 to output 720p and VP30 to output 720p-50 so hopefully the VP30 is just passing the signal through. Alway found the J35 to produce an excellent image and with these settings I find VP30 isn't doing anything to stuff it up. In this situation I just want the VP30 to function as an AV hub. The only except when watching 4:3 material...then I use the scaler to stretch it to fill the screen.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff,

After further experimentation I have found that leaving the J35 to "Auto" resolution gives the best results with the DVDO set to 1080I output (on my 1360x768 display). I suspect that the DVDO scaler is superior to the Toshiba's because even Channel 7 HD looks good. SD is improved remarkably.

On the DVDO I seem to get better results using RGB colorspace and "PC" on both input and output.

On the above settings even 1080i material looks "smoother".

RGBHV signals can only be input into my plasma via the 15 pin socket. Given that you can tailor the output resolution and sync frequency to exactly the TV manufacturer spec with teh DVDO, I will try that once I get a suitable cable.

Is there any experience with VGA output of the VP30 versus HDMI?

Tasso

Cliff,

After further experimentation I have found that leaving the J35 to "Auto" resolution gives the best results with the DVDO set to 1080I output (on my 1360x768 display). I suspect that the DVDO scaler is superior to the Toshiba's because even Channel 7 HD looks good. SD is improved remarkably.

On the DVDO I seem to get better results using RGB colorspace and "PC" on both input and output.

On the above settings even 1080i material looks "smoother".

RGBHV signals can only be input into my plasma via the 15 pin socket. Given that you can tailor the output resolution and sync frequency to exactly the TV manufacturer spec with teh DVDO, I will try that once I get a suitable cable.

Is there any experience with VGA output of the VP30 versus HDMI?

Tasso

Back when I first got it, I tried analog output using RGBHV to 15DSub converter going into my Fuji plasma. I got the cable from jaycar which I returned after I tried using it for few hours... The main reason for the trial was to seek a possible improvement of my AUSID HD STB to Fuji via VP30 but HDMI in my case gave me the better results for all of my sources so had no use for it.

I am hearing that you are using the output of 1080i from VP30 to the plasma, is there any particular reason why you have done that rather than using your native resolution of 1360x768 which is the resolution I am on currently with my Fuji.

Back when I first got it, I tried analog output using RGBHV to 15DSub converter going into my Fuji plasma. I got the cable from jaycar which I returned after I tried using it for few hours... The main reason for the trial was to seek a possible improvement of my AUSID HD STB to Fuji via VP30 but HDMI in my case gave me the better results for all of my sources so had no use for it.

I am hearing that you are using the output of 1080i from VP30 to the plasma, is there any particular reason why you have done that rather than using your native resolution of 1360x768 which is the resolution I am on currently with my Fuji.

Yes that is correct. I don't seem to be able to get a picture using the 1360x768 resolution via HDMI. Similarly, the VGA input on the TV will not accept normal video signals (480/576/720p/1080i). I will continue to check to see if I have done something wrong but I suspect the plasma has a demarcation issue with its connections. Pity because it costaplenty.

Tasso

Yes that is correct. I don't seem to be able to get a picture using the 1360x768 resolution via HDMI. Similarly, the VGA input on the TV will not accept normal video signals (480/576/720p/1080i). I will continue to check to see if I have done something wrong but I suspect the plasma has a demarcation issue with its connections. Pity because it costaplenty.

Tasso

Which plasma? I thought the only plasma with 1360x768 native resolution was the Fujitsu..

A question for those of you who already got the ABT102 card.

Is there any improvement on FTA TV contents with the new card? Theoretically, if the HD STB is outputting to VP30 at 576i@50Hz (PAL) then the new card should do a better deinterlacing job than the original deinterlacing of VP30...

Any comments?

A question for those of you who already got the ABT102 card.

Is there any improvement on FTA TV contents with the new card? Theoretically, if the HD STB is outputting to VP30 at 576i@50Hz (PAL) then the new card should do a better deinterlacing job than the original deinterlacing of VP30...

Any comments?

It sure does Aussie. Particulary seen (the improvement) around small round objects, like a presenters glasses (Kerry O'Brian for one). Everything looks more film like, i,e no jaggies. You really notice it the first few days after the switchover - you think everything is coming off film. Then you get used to it until you see someone else's setup. :blink: . I think we are getting close to getting the best of both worlds. The smoothness of film with the depth, colour balance and sharpness/definition of video. :D The ABT test DVD gives a better picture on its montage than even the DVE test clips.

It sure does Aussie. Particulary seen (the improvement) around small round objects, like a presenters glasses (Kerry O'Brian for one). Everything looks more film like, i,e no jaggies. You really notice it the first few days after the switchover - you think everything is coming off film. Then you get used to it until you see someone else's setup. :blink: . I think we are getting close to getting the best of both worlds. The smoothness of film with the depth, colour balance and sharpness/definition of video. :D The ABT test DVD gives a better picture on its montage than even the DVE test clips.

Yes, I must say at times the ABT + VP30 is gobsmackingly good at what it does. But other times, badly constructed MPEG2 looks horrible. What Dale Adams on AVSFORUM and others have said is, t's not the fault of the VP30+ABT.. it's how the MPEG2 is put together at the head end. I can believe this, since most of the jaggies + combing I've seen have been News edits where they've ripped apart other feeds or the combing is part of the video stream.

But.. then you see stuff like this

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

And you realise that you can spend thousands on DVDs , but the real game is STILL not even close to a reality in Australia.

Has anyone heard anything from the Australian distributor or retailer about when we might expect the locally ordered ABT-102's to arrive?

And you realise that you can spend thousands on DVDs , but the real game is STILL not even close to a reality in Australia.

But, while we wait, we may as well make the most of what we've got :blink:

Yes, I must say at times the ABT + VP30 is gobsmackingly good at what it does. But other times, badly constructed MPEG2 looks horrible. What Dale Adams on AVSFORUM and others have said is, t's not the fault of the VP30+ABT.. it's how the MPEG2 is put together at the head end. I can believe this, since most of the jaggies + combing I've seen have been News edits where they've ripped apart other feeds or the combing is part of the video stream.

But.. then you see stuff like this

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

those photos are pretty amazing.... its getting close to the 'looking through the window' effect....

I heard a while ago the Sony XBR 1080p 70" rear pro was very, very close to looking through a window....

still, how many people in Australia would have a DVDO VP30 - and all the other toys to go with it???? We're pretty lucky I guess.....

Which plasma? I thought the only plasma with 1360x768 native resolution was the Fujitsu..

The Plasma is a new Samsung 63" model no: PS63P5H. There is nothing on the Aussie website (even though it is sold here) so here is a link to it.

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasm...tv/ps_63p5h.asp

I was originally looking at the Fuji 63 but Fuji are truly in fantasyland for the 63 panel when it comes to pricing. They are excellent but as of recently, so are others. ( I think they start with a Samsung 63 panel and then weave their magic) The Samsung has the deepest blacks, 13 bit video processing and a very bright high resolution image -vastly superior to my 61" LCD rear pro it is replacing.

I saw this and other 60+ in screens in HK including Panasonic 65. All were perfectly set up (and played through external scalers). The Samsung's contrast stood out though.

The specs say 1366x 768 but the book says 1360x768 for PC resolution.

BTW while HK is cheaper than Aust by a long margin for electronics , Australia is cheaper than HK (and many other countries) for plasma TVs,

Tasso

The Plasma is a new Samsung 63" model no: PS63P5H. There is nothing on the Aussie website (even though it is sold here) so here is a link to it.

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasm...tv/ps_63p5h.asp

I was originally looking at the Fuji 63 but Fuji are truly in fantasyland for the 63 panel when it comes to pricing. They are excellent but as of recently, so are others. ( I think they start with a Samsung 63 panel and then weave their magic) The Samsung has the deepest blacks, 13 bit video processing and a very bright high resolution image -vastly superior to my 61" LCD rear pro it is replacing.

I saw this and other 60+ in screens in HK including Panasonic 65. All were perfectly set up (and played through external scalers). The Samsung's contrast stood out though.

The specs say 1366x 768 but the book says 1360x768 for PC resolution.

BTW while HK is cheaper than Aust by a long margin for electronics , Australia is cheaper than HK (and many other countries) for plasma TVs,

Tasso

Yes I found that pricing on plasmas too. Unusual

• Moderators
Yes I found that pricing on plasmas too. Unusual

is this norpus because a lot of plasmas are still coming from japan as opposed to most otehr gear coming out of china itself.

is this norpus because a lot of plasmas are still coming from japan as opposed to most otehr gear coming out of china itself.

There has been talk about this before with some reasoning that because their homes are much smaller the bigger plasmas still command a pretty high price as they're much less in demand than the smaller displays. Makes sense to me however I'm not an expert on their grey markets.

Usually HK is cheaper even on Japanese sourced products because of difference in Aust distributor margins and more intense competition. Plus the Chinese (retailers and consumers) will not tolerate being ripped off like we are here because and will actively look to alternate avenues for supply if the distributors do not play ball. I guess we are more isolated and the distributors take advantage of that.

eg Denon and Onkyo are distributed in Australia by Australian companies (not factory) who may not be as motivated to achieve market share, hence keeping prices high and maximise profits. This combined with more competition over there sees the RRP of may products being around 60% of the Australian RRP for the identical product (and street prices even less.)

By contrast Pioneer is distributed by Pioneer in Aust and you will find that the RRP of the Pioneer DV-989AVi has exactly the same RRP in Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong. (Kinda makes you think it's good value.)

Pio Amps are cheaper over there though, but discounted street prices in Aust make the difference less dramatic.

The HK street prices usually start much lower as well. My son bought an Onkyo TX- SR603 for A$500 from a reputable dealer chain in HK. The RRP in Australia is $1399. I bought a 1080P Denon AVC-A1XVA for around A$7000 which I am not sure is released here yet. The 1080i AVC-A1XV (with an Australian RRP of $12999) is selling for under A$6000, with a starting price of $39000 HKD (A$6600)

As for Plasmas, in HK these are usually larger screens that go into larger homes. LCD's are the go for small apartments. Apartments cost a bomb over there with house sizes around 500sq feet not being uncommon. Therefore, when they sell plasmas they sell to the well heeled and price them accordingly. In Australia, everyone has a big house by comparison and they are sold as general consumer items. Plus there is no customs duty paid here by the importers for plasmas. That is because they are capable of receiving computer signals which puts them in the duty free class.

Tasso

Has anyone heard anything from the Australian distributor or retailer about when we might expect the locally ordered ABT-102's to arrive?

They are expecting their shipment by the end of this week.

Thanks cummo :blink:

Apologies for the cross posting. I posted this info in the Oppo thread, but I thought that it would also be relevant to many of you who are subscribed to this thread:

The new Oppo DV-970HD has now been officially released. Price is US$149.

Here's a brief review on the AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....96&page=1&pp=30

and here's a link to the Oppo Digital site with product info:

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

Important new features:

• HDMI Output with free "quality" HDMI cable
  • Upconversion from both Component & HDMI outputs
  • SACD and DVD-A support
  • Card Reader
  • DivX certified
  • 480i/576i output via HDMI and Component

Tasso

My brothers new Pio PDP50 was $51200 HKD with free Pio 630H recorder - about $8800 with no tax

when I googled price in Aust, it was $8000 with 10% gst

He's happy though which is the main thing - but it needs setup and calibration. His Denon 4306 had supposedly been 'set up' by the installer, but I found it very poorly out of calibration. The Audussey 6 location calibration had not been done - the speaker phasing was out on the mains, the centre channel was +6dB too high and the mains 5dB too low (I even got this right by a couple of dB by ear before using the audussey).

I reset the plasma to 720p as best (according to a quick reply from my calibrator, thanks Aaron!) from 1080i, and had a quick play with the settings. It really needs Aarons professional help to make it look stunning.

I agree with the other posters thoughts above on plasma pricing there - they actually get it worse there. Their hifi pricing however is significantly better - and their range IMO is best in the world - even better than NY and certainly better than even Singapore

Sorry for the OT

No, HK is one of cheapest to buy Japan sourced gear also. Often it is a toss up between there and pricejapan - sometimes either way I have found. On Sony gear for example, it seems expensive via PJapan - must be some sort of local Sony Japan pricing policy I guess

regarding the vp30 in japan, a very high end dealer I spoke to thought the vp30 wasn't pwerful enough for his consideration. Then again he was running high end 55K Sim Grand cinema 3 chip dlp and new $100K+ 9" LC crt and he was using a faroudja box (not sure what model but surely exxy) and was also developing an extreme interpolator for turning 576i into true 1080i using some sort of fancy new resolution-adding interpreting software - in development/hushhush. He was very excited about this project, and knowing his level, if he was excited it must be rather good. Sorry can't divulge more :blink:

Is it already there to be picked up? I thought they are mailing them out?

No idea Gino,thats why i was asking. As I live nearby, he usually rings me but I have been o/s lately and going again today.

Just rang Geoff and he said 'likely this week'. :blink:

Was called this morning to pay off balance...

ABT102 has arrived! :D

I cant believe one of the Melbourne guys hasn't picked theirs up, installed it, re-calibrated, watched 3 programs and written a review yet. C'mon lift your game :blink:

Cheers,

Chui

Well I installed my new Deinterlacing card today....which required me to upgrade the DVDO firmware from V1.0 to V1.07.

Result?

I now have every single source looking like standard def video including the new Topfield HD STB which was looking brilliant. AND I have audio dropping out every 5-10 seconds....not happy Jan!

Well I installed my new Deinterlacing card today....which required me to upgrade the DVDO firmware from V1.0 to V1.07.

Result?

I now have every single source looking like standard def video including the new Topfield HD STB which was looking brilliant. AND I have audio dropping out every 5-10 seconds....not happy Jan!

Ouch!

My calibrator did suggest to me to try to keep my stable 1.00 setting if poss. I guess this is what he feared

I guess if the aBT102 upgrade must have it, then the dealer will install mine and take responsibility if it is not right.

Result?

:blink: Unbelievable... is there any other reported issues elsewhere like this?

What happens if you uninstall the card? Are you able to downgrade back to 1.0? Makes me worried about installing mine.