The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Ive got the SDI add-on board for the VP30, and a Pioneer 969AVi DVD player modded with SDI output.

Unfortunately, I havent been able to do a direct comparrison between 576i component/567i HDMI and 567i SDI into the VP30 yet, as Ive had some cabling issues.

I havent bought my HDMI cables for the DVD to VP30, or VP30 to my projector yet.

But worse, ive tried a couple of different cables tha I thought I could use for the SDI interconnect, and so far, Ive got differing levels of 'sparklies' depending on which cables I use.

Ill be very interested, once Ive got my cabling sorted out, to what advantages and disadvantages there are with each interface.

Regards

David

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for it to arrive to also install the IR lens replacement... do all at once....

I think I have missed something...

what is this lens replacement for please?

I think I have missed something...

what is this lens replacement for please?

It replaces the lens on the IR Receiver. The original lens gave very limited IR range and angle when using the remote control. The news lens improves the distance and angle.

It replaces the lens on the IR Receiver. The original lens gave very limited IR range and angle when using the remote control. The news lens improves the distance and angle.

Oh goody. I was hoping that it might be that, as the IR response is weak.

Do we order ex GB dealer? How much Foggy?

Oh goody. I was hoping that it might be that, as the IR response is weak.

Do we order ex GB dealer? How much Foggy?

It's a freebie norpus, as it's really a warranty issue.

If you bought the VP30 locally, which you did, just contact the local distributor Synergy Audio and they'll post one out to you.

PM me with your email address, and I can send you the installation instructions if you have trouble finding them on the DVDO site.

Hi Foggy & Norpus,

I tried getting the IR replacement from the distributor, but they instructed me to get it from the GB retailer. I've now left three phone messages and one email for the retailer and got no replies. I'm going to keep trying, but if you get any love from the distributor, can you let us know.

I'm looking for the one install for both components as well, although the talk at AVS is that the hardest part was removing the screws. :blink:

Interestingly, the distributor specifically warned me (by email) that installing any of them myself will probably void warranty. I wonder if they realise thats exactly what DVDO intended.

Cheers,

Chui

Hi Foggy & Norpus,

I tried getting the IR replacement from the distributor, but they instructed me to get it from the GB retailer. I've now left three phone messages and one email for the retailer and got no replies. I'm going to keep trying, but if you get any love from the distributor, can you let us know.

I'm looking for the one install for both components as well, although the talk at AVS is that the hardest part was removing the screws. :blink:

Interestingly, the distributor specifically warned me (by email) that installing any of them myself will probably void warranty. I wonder if they realise thats exactly what DVDO intended.

Cheers,

Chui

Chui, Geoff told me he would not install the ABT102 when I asked him, but said the distributor (synergy) would do it for $25 and to contact them directly. I guess that is what I'll do when the card arrives and ask them to do the free lens upgrade at same time. Then my warranty will remain intact, just in case I need it for future upgrade to a 'vp50' if/when that might be invented

It's a freebie norpus, as it's really a warranty issue.

If you bought the VP30 locally, which you did, just contact the local distributor Synergy Audio and they'll post one out to you.

PM me with your email address, and I can send you the installation instructions if you have trouble finding them on the DVDO site.

Thanks Foghorn - I'll see if I can get one first.

Chui, Geoff told me he would not install the ABT102 when I asked him, but said the distributor (synergy) would do it for $25 and to contact them directly. I guess that is what I'll do when the card arrives and ask them to do the free lens upgrade at same time. Then my warranty will remain intact, just in case I need it for future upgrade to a 'vp50' if/when that might be invented

Thanks Foghorn - I'll see if I can get one first.

Just read up on the dvdo website about the ABT102 card.

Seems we shouldn't have a warranty problem with a self install as thats what they seem to be suggesting

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_acc_abt-102.php

Cool

Just read up on the dvdo website about the ABT102 card.

Seems we shouldn't have a warranty problem with a self install as thats what they seem to be suggesting

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_acc_abt-102.php

Cool

It certainly has never been an issue with Lenexpo in the US. I've changed over circuit boards and all without any warranty issues. If you want to be ultra sure about it, why don't you write to the supplier and ask him if it's OK to do the work yourself. State in the letter/email that if you don't hear from them within say 2 weeks, you will assume that it's OK to proceed with the work yourself. Point out that DVDO themselves have no issue with customers carrying out the work themselves and that this does NOT void their warranty.

Phil.

It certainly has never been an issue with Lenexpo in the US. I've changed over circuit boards and all without any warranty issues. If you want to be ultra sure about it, why don't you write to the supplier and ask him if it's OK to do the work yourself. State in the letter/email that if you don't hear from them within say 2 weeks, you will assume that it's OK to proceed with the work yourself. Point out that DVDO themselves have no issue with customers carrying out the work themselves and that this does NOT void their warranty.

Phil.

Just spoke to Wylie at Synergy. He said IR lens replacement would be done free under warranty if I'd been experiencing issues. Of course I had :blink: So when he installs my ABT102, he'll pull the faceplate off and do the tricky little plastic eye replacement he said. Happy now. He also said the shipment has evidently left but would not commit apart from 'within the month' for historical reasons :P

Hi Foggy & Norpus,

Cheers,

Chui

if you follow the instructions from DVDO will not void warranty, as per the DVDO email.

I also got confirmation from the US my ABT102 card has shipped today!

OK fellas. I've done the deed and SDI'ed the Oppo 971H with the Pixel Magic board.

But, I'm having some trouble. Everything works fine at 60Hz (NTSC), but NOT at 50Hz (PAL).

Here's what I did in detail.

Fitted the board as per instructions by our French friend. Kept all leads the same length etc etc.

Tested it out and still works perfectly on DVI at 50 and 60Hz. Used DVE DVD as my test DVD.

With the latest Oppo FW, Feb 06, the Oppo switches itself automatically to suit the DVD, and as my DVE is 50Hz, it switches itself to that frame rate.

At 50Hz though, I get what could best be called gross combing. Switching the Oppo to run at 60Hz on the same DVD, gives a smooth picture, although of course frame rate converted.

I also went back several versions of the Oppo FW, but all give the same result.

Quality at 60Hz is better than DVI, sharper and slightly less noise. So, the SDI mod was worth it as far as PQ is concerned. But I need to solve the 50Hz problem, otherwise it's not a goer for me.

Anyone got any ideas?

BTW, I'm feeding the SDI and DVI through the iScan VP30. It's the first time I've used the SDI input and I have no other device that I can test the VP30 with.

P.S. I did try both Video 1 and Video 2 options on the Oppo, but both behave the same way. I do get a picture out of both options, unlike some posters who say they can only get SDI when Video 1 is selected.

I've also posted this on the AVS forum, the one specific to the SDI modded Oppo here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....319#post7678319

OK fellas. I've done the deed and SDI'ed the Oppo 971H with the Pixel Magic board.

But, I'm having some trouble. Everything works fine at 60Hz (NTSC), but NOT at 50Hz (PAL).

BTW, I'm feeding the SDI and DVI through the iScan VP30. It's the first time I've used the SDI input and I have no other device that I can test the VP30 with.

JPP,

what cable are you using to connect the SDI output of your Oppo with the SDI board on the VP30?

Im getting some 'sparklies' with my 2m video cable (with BNC converters at both ends) between my Pioneer 969AVi SDI modded player and my VP30 SDI board.

Regards

David

JPP,

what cable are you using to connect the SDI output of your Oppo with the SDI board on the VP30?

Im getting some 'sparklies' with my 2m video cable (with BNC converters at both ends) between my Pioneer 969AVi SDI modded player and my VP30 SDI board.

Regards

David

David, a standard 50 ohm BNC to BNC. Tried different lengths too, but that made no difference which you would expect as in my case 60Hz operation works just fine.

I'll try a bit of lead dressing tonight. Again, I don't expect that'll make any difference as 60Hz is more demanding in terms of data rates than 50Hz.

Another poster in OZ has no problems with the Oppo modded with the Pixel Magic card when feeding it into his Lumagen HDP, so I expect it's a VP30 problem.

I exepect that your problem is that your video cable is not up to scratch. You need proper 50 ohm cable. What SDI board does your Pio have in it?

Err JPP I think SDI is 75ohm..

Here's a really good reference :blink:

http://www.canare.co.jp/oversea/14A_forWeb/14A_P3to7.pdf

Hmm...interesting that. Connectors are common 50 ohm BNC. In total desperation, I tried a 75 ohm cable, but well, it was total desperation...made no difference of course. I think it would have to be timing that at 50Hz the VP30 isn't happy with. Lead dressing inside the Oppo also failed to make any difference - in fact it's quite stable - you can clamp or wrap your fingers around the ribbon cable between the Oppo DVI MB and the SDI module, thereby adding cross capacitance between the leads - all with no effect at all at 60Hz and of course no improvement at 50Hz.

There are specific 75 Ohm BNC connectors.. to be matched with 75 Ohm cable.. 50 Ohm BNC is another type of connector, and another type of cable ( for a different purpose).

Hmm. I was considering going down that Oppo/SDI path. Hope you find an answer soon.

Has this got anything to do with setup on the VP30 ? Like Line Offset, Film Mode, FRC ?

There are specific 75 Ohm BNC connectors.. to be matched with 75 Ohm cable.. 50 Ohm BNC is another type of connector, and another type of cable ( for a different purpose).

Hmm. I was considering going down that Oppo/SDI path. Hope you find an answer soon.

Has this got anything to do with setup on the VP30 ? Like Line Offset, Film Mode, FRC ?

Yes, tried all those combinations. Even rewired the ribbon cable and separated the clock and its ground from the other data lines and twisted the pair a few turns. Took the +5 volt and power ground from the same connector row (rather than as per Flom's wire up where he picked up ground some distance from the clock ground).

I think there must be some serious timing problems here. It's working so well at 60Hz that it defies logic that it shouldn't at 50Hz. Someone in the States has done the same mod and tried it on PAL as well (after I specifically asked him to do this test) and says that it was perfect when he fed it into his HD+. It was this testimony that made me take the plunge. :blink:

Hi Andrew,

Before you go the oppo way (I had one before and sold it - great dvd player BTW)..

Check this one out ... Helios outputs 576i and 480i via HDMI ..... at US$199 RRP ... its pretty cost effective......

I'm waiting for reports of VP owners in the US.... what I've heard is that outputting 576i/480i via HDMI is very, very close to outputting SDI out... if you have a projector and a 100" you may be able to tell the difference... but most plasmas at normal you probably wouldn't .....

I'm running out of space to store my gear ....... nice problem to have though.... :blink:

Hi Andrew,

Before you go the oppo way (I had one before and sold it - great dvd player BTW)..

Check this one out ... Helios outputs 576i and 480i via HDMI ..... at US$199 RRP ... its pretty cost effective......

Hey Marcelo,

The Helios appears to still have unacceptable ICP. It failed the Secrets test on that, and a number of other important tests (video levels, freq. resp wasn't terrific, image is cropped)

I have a Pioneer DV47A and if the VP30 does a decent job cleaning up ICP / CUE, then the Helios will be OK. The Oppo doesn't have nearly as bad a problem with ICP / CUE which is why it's a recommended transport ( but it misses out on 480/576i over DVI ).

Still waiting to get a Plasma to go with the VP30. I haven't had much luck getting one that hasn't broke along the way.

Hey Marcelo,

The Helios appears to still have unacceptable ICP. It failed the Secrets test on that, and a number of other important tests (video levels, freq. resp wasn't terrific, image is cropped)

I have a Pioneer DV47A and if the VP30 does a decent job cleaning up ICP / CUE, then the Helios will be OK. The Oppo doesn't have nearly as bad a problem with ICP / CUE which is why it's a recommended transport ( but it misses out on 480/576i over DVI ).

Still waiting to get a Plasma to go with the VP30. I haven't had much luck getting one that hasn't broke along the way.

man, that panny saga would pi#@ss me off .... if it takes much longer you can wait for the pio pro 50" MXE20 ... supposed to come out in September/October......

I don't have a plasma yet either buddy .... I understand your frustration .....

thanks for the heads up on the Helios .... I'm going to wait and see what the VP30 with ABT102 does to my current Yamaha player.... oh, and I also heard there is a new oppo coming out sometime soon with 576i/480i via HDMI ....

Well Andrew, no luck so far. I've been posting on 2 threads on the AVS forum about the problem and have received some feedback.

For those interested go forward from these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....0&post7678520

and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....9&post7678319

Phil.

Looks like most people are experiencing trouble running PAL with the Pixel Magic SDI board in the Oppo and connecting it through the VP30. The Lumagen VP apparently can handle the PAL SDI data stream, but crops the picture. That probably leaves all my hopes pinned on the ABT102 card to solve my problem.

How's your ABT 102 going Sparky? You've had it now for a few days :blink::P

Looks like most people are experiencing trouble running PAL with the Pixel Magic SDI board in the Oppo. That probably leaves all my hopes pinned on the ABT102 card to solve the problem.

How's your ABT 102 going Sparky? You've had it now for a few days :blink::P

I have got mine yesterday. I ordered the vp30 with ABT102, the installation process is simple enough for even someone who has no pc knowledge as long as he or she can follow the procedure word by word. I had Dvdo HD+ and VP30 in my shelf now, without tweaking my first impression of VP30 is that it is a step up from HD+, it has a much cleaner, sharper and more vibrant in color than HD+, I was playing a Region 3 chinese movie called 'Promise', the movie has almost nothing in term of story plot but it has beautiful photography and excellent use of colour much like a lot of chinese movie we have seen recently. With this movie

HD+ presented a much softer yet natural picture but I can't stop feeling that it just lack the spark and a bit flat in its colour presentation. I don't know how VP30 in

its orginal form without ABT102 would have done against VP30 with ABT102, but moving up from HD+ to VP30 with ABT102 was definitely worthy upgrade.

Phil,

I just read your experiences with v1.07 on the AVS. Unfortunately it seems like there is no logical explanation as to why some have audio troubles and others don't. Probably shows just how many combinations of makes and models of equipment there are.

I have a drop-out maybe twice a day maximum, for around half a second, so I consider myself lucky by the sounds of it. I'm now using 1.07 in preparation for the ABT102 and the only major drama I have is when I pause a DVD with a DTS soundtrack. When I play again I get no sound at all. Weird thing is, the receiver is showing an audio signal through the centre channel only. Change to 2ch source and all is well when I switch back. This was present in v1.00 also.

Good luck with Oppo.

Sparky,

Phil's right. You've had that thing long enough. Give us the good oil. :blink:

Cheers,

Chui

My Iscan for family room arrives in a few days but in the meantime I got carried away and bought a Denon AVC-A1XV-A for the theatre to partner my DVD-A1XV. The DVD player does not need processing/scaling (it has on board HQV and DVDO ) but for other sources such at DTV, Foxtel I thought the A1XV-A with on board DVDO scaling and Faroudja deinterlacing would be better than the original sources. The new Denon will upscale all digital signals to 1080P and convert to HDMI and upscale (non copy protected material) as well.

When I get it home (I am in HK) I will post initial impressions.

Tasso

I got my ABT102 today and plugged it into the VP30 :blink:

While I'm waiting for a plasma to turn up, I connected it to my HP 19" LCD TFT 1280x1024 via DVI.

Took only 5 seconds to get the proper resolution set up, and the results are pretty good. It shows up just how much difference there is between my Pioneer DVD w/ component out and the built-in test patterns.

You can really see how the VP30/ABT102 do a really good job of making DVDs look so much more film like, but it also shows up the shortcomings of the DVD format.

More tests and setup over the next week or so. I've pulled out all my "reference" DVDs and see the need to buy some newer editions ( as long as the transfer has improved ) like LOTR, Star Wars Ep3 etc.

:blink: Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Long live the ABT102. Now my Oppo 971H with the Pixel Magic SDI board works just magnificently at 50Hz . :P.

So, not only do I now have a better de-interlacer, I now have almost the perfect SD DVD player. Looking at the test patterns on the DVE disk, it’s just so much sharper and more accurate at vertical scaling compared to the DVI output. No longer do I get the banding of the high frequency lines. They are all separated properly.

During the installation of the ABT102 board, I also replaced the lens. I thought the new lens would have some focusing properties, but it turns out that the only difference is the opaqueness of the lens – the new one is just more transparent or less opaque. This has helped me with my IR repeaters as well, as less IR signal is lost through the lens.

Off to do some more real testing now, but having now got the SDI output of the Oppo to work is a fantastic bonus.

JPP.. great news!

Could you tell us what you have done to resolve your issues if you don't mind?

I am guessing that ABT102 card fixed it magically?

Yep, that's it. The ABT102 fixed the problem at 50Hz. The Sil504 was fine at 60Hz but no go at all at 50Hz.

That's good to hear... I am hoping to see my AUSID output to VP30 PAL@50Hz to be fixed by ABT102 card may be then....

Thanks JPP

Been viewing some more material - it's getting better and better - that is to say, I see more and more differences as I go along switching between DVI and SDI, looking at resolution and de-interlacing. And those refelections on the glass in the restaurant on the DVE DVD - they're even more visible, suggesting a higher bit depth is getting through. Foggy, I've seen yours, now it's time that you see mine :blink:

Foggy, I've seen yours, now it's time that you see mine :blink:

:P :P :embarassment: :ecstatic:

now... does anyone here have a VP30 SDI kit that they're not using? :P

:P:blink: :embarassment: :ecstatic:

Sounds like Oppo will be releasing their 970 HDMI transport in the next month or so ( yes, we've all heard this one before !)

May still work out to be a cheaper option.

I got some direct feedback from someone on the AVSFORUM about using the Neodigits Helios 2805 as a HDMI transport - their comments were doesn't pass BTB and image is too soft.

I found with my 2 Pioneer DVD players ( DV47 and DV575 ), if I disable all the internal sharpening and silly controls I can get a really nice film like image with the VP30/ABT102. 5th Element, LOTR were so smooth, I started swearing in French.

Test patterns via component out still have the MPEG2 fringes that you may not see with a good MPEG2 decoder, and HDMI or SDI DVD players tho.

Sounds like Oppo will be releasing their 970 HDMI transport in the next month or so ( yes, we've all heard this one before !)

May still work out to be a cheaper option.

It will be interesting to see if its HDMI output does indeed have HDCP on it, even at 480/576i which is what I've read from Kris Deering's "leak' preview reports in the Oppo thread. That's the reason I chose to go the SDI route with the 971H - no HDCP to worry about.

Did you get it locally?

AVS Forum in the US

:P:blink: :embarassment: :ecstatic:

I suggest you write on Michal Khain from Lenexpo.... their web prices are high.... but talking to him directly you may score the card as low as US$150 each.....