The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Cliff,

After further experimentation I have found that leaving the J35 to "Auto" resolution gives the best results with the DVDO set to 1080I output (on my 1360x768 display). I suspect that the DVDO scaler is superior to the Toshiba's because even Channel 7 HD looks good. SD is improved remarkably.

On the DVDO I seem to get better results using RGB colorspace and "PC" on both input and output.

On the above settings even 1080i material looks "smoother".

RGBHV signals can only be input into my plasma via the 15 pin socket. Given that you can tailor the output resolution and sync frequency to exactly the TV manufacturer spec with teh DVDO, I will try that once I get a suitable cable.

Is there any experience with VGA output of the VP30 versus HDMI?

Tasso

Back when I first got it, I tried analog output using RGBHV to 15DSub converter going into my Fuji plasma. I got the cable from jaycar which I returned after I tried using it for few hours... The main reason for the trial was to seek a possible improvement of my AUSID HD STB to Fuji via VP30 but HDMI in my case gave me the better results for all of my sources so had no use for it.

I am hearing that you are using the output of 1080i from VP30 to the plasma, is there any particular reason why you have done that rather than using your native resolution of 1360x768 which is the resolution I am on currently with my Fuji.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I first got it, I tried analog output using RGBHV to 15DSub converter going into my Fuji plasma. I got the cable from jaycar which I returned after I tried using it for few hours... The main reason for the trial was to seek a possible improvement of my AUSID HD STB to Fuji via VP30 but HDMI in my case gave me the better results for all of my sources so had no use for it.

I am hearing that you are using the output of 1080i from VP30 to the plasma, is there any particular reason why you have done that rather than using your native resolution of 1360x768 which is the resolution I am on currently with my Fuji.

Yes that is correct. I don't seem to be able to get a picture using the 1360x768 resolution via HDMI. Similarly, the VGA input on the TV will not accept normal video signals (480/576/720p/1080i). I will continue to check to see if I have done something wrong but I suspect the plasma has a demarcation issue with its connections. Pity because it costaplenty.

Tasso

Yes that is correct. I don't seem to be able to get a picture using the 1360x768 resolution via HDMI. Similarly, the VGA input on the TV will not accept normal video signals (480/576/720p/1080i). I will continue to check to see if I have done something wrong but I suspect the plasma has a demarcation issue with its connections. Pity because it costaplenty.

Tasso

Which plasma? I thought the only plasma with 1360x768 native resolution was the Fujitsu..

A question for those of you who already got the ABT102 card.

Is there any improvement on FTA TV contents with the new card? Theoretically, if the HD STB is outputting to VP30 at 576i@50Hz (PAL) then the new card should do a better deinterlacing job than the original deinterlacing of VP30...

Any comments?

A question for those of you who already got the ABT102 card.

Is there any improvement on FTA TV contents with the new card? Theoretically, if the HD STB is outputting to VP30 at 576i@50Hz (PAL) then the new card should do a better deinterlacing job than the original deinterlacing of VP30...

Any comments?

It sure does Aussie. Particulary seen (the improvement) around small round objects, like a presenters glasses (Kerry O'Brian for one). Everything looks more film like, i,e no jaggies. You really notice it the first few days after the switchover - you think everything is coming off film. Then you get used to it until you see someone else's setup. :blink: . I think we are getting close to getting the best of both worlds. The smoothness of film with the depth, colour balance and sharpness/definition of video. :D The ABT test DVD gives a better picture on its montage than even the DVE test clips.

It sure does Aussie. Particulary seen (the improvement) around small round objects, like a presenters glasses (Kerry O'Brian for one). Everything looks more film like, i,e no jaggies. You really notice it the first few days after the switchover - you think everything is coming off film. Then you get used to it until you see someone else's setup. :blink: . I think we are getting close to getting the best of both worlds. The smoothness of film with the depth, colour balance and sharpness/definition of video. :D The ABT test DVD gives a better picture on its montage than even the DVE test clips.

Yes, I must say at times the ABT + VP30 is gobsmackingly good at what it does. But other times, badly constructed MPEG2 looks horrible. What Dale Adams on AVSFORUM and others have said is, t's not the fault of the VP30+ABT.. it's how the MPEG2 is put together at the head end. I can believe this, since most of the jaggies + combing I've seen have been News edits where they've ripped apart other feeds or the combing is part of the video stream.

But.. then you see stuff like this

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

And you realise that you can spend thousands on DVDs , but the real game is STILL not even close to a reality in Australia.

And you realise that you can spend thousands on DVDs , but the real game is STILL not even close to a reality in Australia.

But, while we wait, we may as well make the most of what we've got :blink:

Yes, I must say at times the ABT + VP30 is gobsmackingly good at what it does. But other times, badly constructed MPEG2 looks horrible. What Dale Adams on AVSFORUM and others have said is, t's not the fault of the VP30+ABT.. it's how the MPEG2 is put together at the head end. I can believe this, since most of the jaggies + combing I've seen have been News edits where they've ripped apart other feeds or the combing is part of the video stream.

But.. then you see stuff like this

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

those photos are pretty amazing.... its getting close to the 'looking through the window' effect....

I heard a while ago the Sony XBR 1080p 70" rear pro was very, very close to looking through a window....

still, how many people in Australia would have a DVDO VP30 - and all the other toys to go with it???? We're pretty lucky I guess.....

Which plasma? I thought the only plasma with 1360x768 native resolution was the Fujitsu..

The Plasma is a new Samsung 63" model no: PS63P5H. There is nothing on the Aussie website (even though it is sold here) so here is a link to it.

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasm...tv/ps_63p5h.asp

I was originally looking at the Fuji 63 but Fuji are truly in fantasyland for the 63 panel when it comes to pricing. They are excellent but as of recently, so are others. ( I think they start with a Samsung 63 panel and then weave their magic) The Samsung has the deepest blacks, 13 bit video processing and a very bright high resolution image -vastly superior to my 61" LCD rear pro it is replacing.

I saw this and other 60+ in screens in HK including Panasonic 65. All were perfectly set up (and played through external scalers). The Samsung's contrast stood out though.

The specs say 1366x 768 but the book says 1360x768 for PC resolution.

BTW while HK is cheaper than Aust by a long margin for electronics , Australia is cheaper than HK (and many other countries) for plasma TVs,

Tasso

The Plasma is a new Samsung 63" model no: PS63P5H. There is nothing on the Aussie website (even though it is sold here) so here is a link to it.

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasm...tv/ps_63p5h.asp

I was originally looking at the Fuji 63 but Fuji are truly in fantasyland for the 63 panel when it comes to pricing. They are excellent but as of recently, so are others. ( I think they start with a Samsung 63 panel and then weave their magic) The Samsung has the deepest blacks, 13 bit video processing and a very bright high resolution image -vastly superior to my 61" LCD rear pro it is replacing.

I saw this and other 60+ in screens in HK including Panasonic 65. All were perfectly set up (and played through external scalers). The Samsung's contrast stood out though.

The specs say 1366x 768 but the book says 1360x768 for PC resolution.

BTW while HK is cheaper than Aust by a long margin for electronics , Australia is cheaper than HK (and many other countries) for plasma TVs,

Tasso

Yes I found that pricing on plasmas too. Unusual

Yes I found that pricing on plasmas too. Unusual

is this norpus because a lot of plasmas are still coming from japan as opposed to most otehr gear coming out of china itself.

is this norpus because a lot of plasmas are still coming from japan as opposed to most otehr gear coming out of china itself.

There has been talk about this before with some reasoning that because their homes are much smaller the bigger plasmas still command a pretty high price as they're much less in demand than the smaller displays. Makes sense to me however I'm not an expert on their grey markets.

Usually HK is cheaper even on Japanese sourced products because of difference in Aust distributor margins and more intense competition. Plus the Chinese (retailers and consumers) will not tolerate being ripped off like we are here because and will actively look to alternate avenues for supply if the distributors do not play ball. I guess we are more isolated and the distributors take advantage of that.

eg Denon and Onkyo are distributed in Australia by Australian companies (not factory) who may not be as motivated to achieve market share, hence keeping prices high and maximise profits. This combined with more competition over there sees the RRP of may products being around 60% of the Australian RRP for the identical product (and street prices even less.)

By contrast Pioneer is distributed by Pioneer in Aust and you will find that the RRP of the Pioneer DV-989AVi has exactly the same RRP in Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong. (Kinda makes you think it's good value.)

Pio Amps are cheaper over there though, but discounted street prices in Aust make the difference less dramatic.

The HK street prices usually start much lower as well. My son bought an Onkyo TX- SR603 for A$500 from a reputable dealer chain in HK. The RRP in Australia is $1399. I bought a 1080P Denon AVC-A1XVA for around A$7000 which I am not sure is released here yet. The 1080i AVC-A1XV (with an Australian RRP of $12999) is selling for under A$6000, with a starting price of $39000 HKD (A$6600)

As for Plasmas, in HK these are usually larger screens that go into larger homes. LCD's are the go for small apartments. Apartments cost a bomb over there with house sizes around 500sq feet not being uncommon. Therefore, when they sell plasmas they sell to the well heeled and price them accordingly. In Australia, everyone has a big house by comparison and they are sold as general consumer items. Plus there is no customs duty paid here by the importers for plasmas. That is because they are capable of receiving computer signals which puts them in the duty free class.

Tasso

Has anyone heard anything from the Australian distributor or retailer about when we might expect the locally ordered ABT-102's to arrive?

They are expecting their shipment by the end of this week.

Thanks cummo :blink:

Apologies for the cross posting. I posted this info in the Oppo thread, but I thought that it would also be relevant to many of you who are subscribed to this thread:

The new Oppo DV-970HD has now been officially released. Price is US$149.

Here's a brief review on the AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....96&page=1&pp=30

and here's a link to the Oppo Digital site with product info:

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

Important new features:

• HDMI Output with free "quality" HDMI cable
  • Upconversion from both Component & HDMI outputs
  • SACD and DVD-A support
  • Card Reader
  • DivX certified
  • 480i/576i output via HDMI and Component

Tasso

My brothers new Pio PDP50 was $51200 HKD with free Pio 630H recorder - about $8800 with no tax

when I googled price in Aust, it was $8000 with 10% gst

He's happy though which is the main thing - but it needs setup and calibration. His Denon 4306 had supposedly been 'set up' by the installer, but I found it very poorly out of calibration. The Audussey 6 location calibration had not been done - the speaker phasing was out on the mains, the centre channel was +6dB too high and the mains 5dB too low (I even got this right by a couple of dB by ear before using the audussey).

I reset the plasma to 720p as best (according to a quick reply from my calibrator, thanks Aaron!) from 1080i, and had a quick play with the settings. It really needs Aarons professional help to make it look stunning.

I agree with the other posters thoughts above on plasma pricing there - they actually get it worse there. Their hifi pricing however is significantly better - and their range IMO is best in the world - even better than NY and certainly better than even Singapore

Sorry for the OT

No, HK is one of cheapest to buy Japan sourced gear also. Often it is a toss up between there and pricejapan - sometimes either way I have found. On Sony gear for example, it seems expensive via PJapan - must be some sort of local Sony Japan pricing policy I guess

regarding the vp30 in japan, a very high end dealer I spoke to thought the vp30 wasn't pwerful enough for his consideration. Then again he was running high end 55K Sim Grand cinema 3 chip dlp and new $100K+ 9" LC crt and he was using a faroudja box (not sure what model but surely exxy) and was also developing an extreme interpolator for turning 576i into true 1080i using some sort of fancy new resolution-adding interpreting software - in development/hushhush. He was very excited about this project, and knowing his level, if he was excited it must be rather good. Sorry can't divulge more :blink:

Is it already there to be picked up? I thought they are mailing them out?

No idea Gino,thats why i was asking. As I live nearby, he usually rings me but I have been o/s lately and going again today.

Just rang Geoff and he said 'likely this week'. :blink:

Was called this morning to pay off balance...

ABT102 has arrived! :D

I cant believe one of the Melbourne guys hasn't picked theirs up, installed it, re-calibrated, watched 3 programs and written a review yet. C'mon lift your game :blink:

Cheers,

Chui

Well I installed my new Deinterlacing card today....which required me to upgrade the DVDO firmware from V1.0 to V1.07.

Result?

I now have every single source looking like standard def video including the new Topfield HD STB which was looking brilliant. AND I have audio dropping out every 5-10 seconds....not happy Jan!

Well I installed my new Deinterlacing card today....which required me to upgrade the DVDO firmware from V1.0 to V1.07.

Result?

I now have every single source looking like standard def video including the new Topfield HD STB which was looking brilliant. AND I have audio dropping out every 5-10 seconds....not happy Jan!

Ouch!

My calibrator did suggest to me to try to keep my stable 1.00 setting if poss. I guess this is what he feared

I guess if the aBT102 upgrade must have it, then the dealer will install mine and take responsibility if it is not right.

Result?

:blink: Unbelievable... is there any other reported issues elsewhere like this?

What happens if you uninstall the card? Are you able to downgrade back to 1.0? Makes me worried about installing mine.