The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

I have worked extensively in trying to resolve some issues via communication with Josh and sampling various beta firmwares. He tested these issues on the identical DVD player in their labs and confirmed all the issues I described to him .The EDID table he mentions was changed after the initial release v 1.00 firmware. What I noticed was that every subsequent firmware upgrade would screw up my Arcam DV29 (Hdmi) video setup. It would re-enable progressive scan and 576 i setting would disappear.My colourspace setting would alter from "YUV" to "RGB". If I played an NTSC disk it would alter the settings via handshake ,as it should , but would not change back to normal when returning to PAL format.

What a headache.

Amongst other issues , I get a brief short screech click sound from my speakers when changing channels on Foxtel from PCM sourced material to "Showtimes" Dolby Digital sound format. I use digital coax cable from Foxtel to VP30 and then digital coax out to an Arcam AVR300 receiver / amp.

Hopefully this coming week produces some closure on these audio issues. By giving us the opportunity to decide which EDID table to use as an option, should resolve many issues.

Anthony

Mmm I decided against upgrading from version 1.00 on advice of potential issues

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long day at the office, and I come home to find this thread has increased by another two pages!

Here's some general comments about some of the recent posts:

Marcelo, have you considered just going for the Pioneer Pro and if the WAF is too low, you can spend another few hundred dollars to get the bezel professionally resprayed any colour you like.

Funny you mention that... on my way back from CeBit today (long....) ... I was thinking... maybe I can get the guys to spray paint Matt Carbon Black on the pio pro ... .that would set it off .. .. or just swap the outside of the NEC 42" with the pio pro... that will do it..... !!!!!!

Will defintely enquire about that.

thanks Foggy!

Help Help,

Well The VP30 is here. My DVD player puts out 480i @ 60hz and the sky and Canal + put out 576i @ 50hz. I've got it up and running and both can put out 1080i or 720p.

Connection Component in from DVD player and S-Video in from Satellites

to component in to the 50th500 Panasonic plasma

Just a couple of easy questions for the experts please

1. Which is better 1080i or 720p on a 50 inch plasma

2. If I do arrive at putting in the setting for the v shift size etc for the plasma as was posted how do I save that setting. Do I have to go in to the source to save the settings. I'm not sure how to proceed.

The first squares where you see the 2 boxes and you try to get the outline to be 1 pixel wide. when I move the 720 to 768 it doesn't show up and the screen goes black. So there seems to be nothing to do to reduce the top and bottom lines

3. The Screen deals to fine tune the size color etc don't have any explanations what to do to tweak ?

After I get the basic understanding I will learn how to tweak, but right now basic info would be good.

Hey MRDoggy,

As Chui said 720p would be a good option - this way the VP30 actually does the deinterlacing (which should be better at this job then your panel) and all the panel has to do is a little scaling from 720 to 768 .....

Also, until you get your panel broken-in (200 + hours) would be best to send 720p and keep the panel's anti burn-in technology on - they are not active if you send native signal to the panel....

Just a thought!

Cheers,

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo.

NEC US site's spec for XR5 says that it does accept 1080i input.

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/cms/docume...s/NEC100519.pdf

just as XM5 does so.

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/cms/docume...s/NEC010607.pdf

Hope this info helps you on making better decision...

Ahhhh.. so you are the man... It's good to know that you finally had some time to get the best out of VP30 and your Fuji combo..last time I remember you were saying that you weren't that happy with the VP30's performance and had no time trying to get 1:1 pixel matching etc... also I remember that you plan to use the VP30 on your new projector to get the maximum benefit out of it also....

Yes I had mine set up to use the PC mode also it definately gives me clearer color.

Marcelo see.... people still go on about Foggy's 42".....now it is almost becoming Foggy's middle name 'Foggy with 42" Fuji not 50"......' :P

Though soon I know you will be 'Foggy with massive 100" not half the size'....

Who would dare to refuse '$100 Switch thingy for their birthday????' most of CFOs I hear about in this forum will recognise VP30 by the name of '$100 Switch thingy' not 'DVDO iScan VP30'.... :blink:

Good luck!!!! and sure it is worth the go dude....make sure you clear your history pages referring to DVDO site whenever you visit them else your credibility may be at stake...

Don't you just love your "$100 switch thingy"????? I love mine... .about to love my second toppy masterpiece for a bargain $299 (wife prices here fellas....) .... :P bought specially to record the Soccer World Cup games.....

Aussie, sorry I meant to say the XR5 takes 1080i but not p and the XM5 takes both ....... thanks for the links!

Aussie, sorry I meant to say the XR5 takes 1080i but not p and the XM5 takes both ....... thanks for the links!

Oh I meant to say XR5 also accepts 1080p as well as 1080i referring to their specs... I just checked again and both models show on the resolution compatibility including 1080i and 1080p..

nevertheless...people who own the good would know better than what the spec sheet says it can...

Hmmm though.. what would they have used to test 1080p? I thought the first 1080p source will be Blu-ray disc as HD-DVD will only do 1080i for time being....and PS3 which is due out end of 2006... :blink:

Actually u can never know what says on the features and what says on the user manual to be true until u connect and use it... like the New Pana ranges say they have 1080p processor built in but if you look at the user manual and supported resolution only refers to maximum of 1080i and no reference to 1080p at all.....so I wondered hmmmm....

Oh I meant to say XR5 also accepts 1080p as well as 1080i referring to their specs... I just checked again and both models show on the resolution compatibility including 1080i and 1080p..

nevertheless...people who own the good would know better than what the spec sheet says it can...

Hmmm though.. what would they have used to test 1080p? I thought the first 1080p source will be Blu-ray disc as HD-DVD will only do 1080i for time being....and PS3 which is due out end of 2006... :blink:

Actually u can never know what says on the features and what says on the user manual to be true until u connect and use it... like the New Pana ranges say they have 1080p processor built in but if you look at the user manual and supported resolution only refers to maximum of 1080i and no reference to 1080p at all.....so I wondered hmmmm....

1080p on the XR5 is only on the component input, not HDMI .... pitty.

scalers are the only thing which can output 1080p for now I thought ....

I wish I could find a XR5 to connect the VP30 to and test it..... I'm still looking.....

scalers are the only thing which can output 1080p for now I thought ....

I wish I could find a XR5 to connect the VP30 to and test it..... I'm still looking.....

Would Len Wallis have it on display? Is this where u looked at XR4?

Actually you are right... VP30 should be able to upscale to 1080p...it is just it can not take 1080p sources as yet if I am not wrong.... I hope this is not another reason to hold you up for making the final decision...

Looks like u need to work on few more things now..

Bezel color change on Pio pro 42"

50" vs 42"

2 c if NEC XR5 accepts 1080p input via HDMI or Component...

Fun fun fun....can't wait to hear you say I GOT MY PLASMA DELIVERED!

Would Len Wallis have it on display? Is this where u looked at XR4?

Actually you are right... VP30 should be able to upscale to 1080p...it is just it can not take 1080p sources as yet if I am not wrong.... I hope this is not another reason to hold you up for making the final decision...

Looks like u need to work on few more things now..

Bezel color change on Pio pro 42"

50" vs 42"

2 c if NEC XR5 accepts 1080p input via HDMI or Component...

Fun fun fun....can't wait to hear you say I GOT MY PLASMA DELIVERED!

I can't wait either!!

I did the 42 to 50 comparisson at Len, however I"m not sure how willing they would be for me to connect a scaler etc.. in their show room .... I don't normally think of them as 'consumer friendly' .... my local shop is pretty easy ... .hence I've tested the VP30 with the NEC 42", hitachi 55", fuji 50", etc.. but my local doesn't have the NEC 50" .... hence the problem... or challenge???

will definitely keep you posted!

Cheers,

Marcelo

David, I am confused. Why buy a second one? - I use mine for both kvhr and pj. Just a flick of the switch profile 1 to profile 2 now gives me crt or pj (one is on rgbhv and the other is hdmi output)

If in another room thats a different scenario. Yes it certainly improves the kvhr (along with calibration), but no I wouldn't spend $3 grand on a 2nd seperate scaler for just a 86cm telly. Ask Aaron yourself - he liked the result of the vp30/kvhr combo - it was his first time with the combo.

The calibration alone on the kvhr would be worth it - mine was poor out of the box (measured at 14000K instead of 6500K which is typical he said - helps shops sell if a little blue).

Hi Norpus,

thanks for the report.

My projector and KVHR are, indeed, in seperate rooms.

In some ways, Im glad that you have reported that the improvements wouldnt justify a 2nd VP30 - if it was, I wasnt sure how I would be able to sell the idea to the Financial Controller :blink: .

I think I will just settle for Aaron to calibrate the KVHR.

Many thanks

David

Chui and Marcelo,

I've got the VP30 running OK now.

Using hdmi 720p @60hz all around for output

Question is 60hz considered better than 50hz when using the standard 720p. I felt it was better than the 50hz.

Also to note was that the colors worked a bit better with component, as the facial colors really need to be tuned down in saturation to make it look good.

I am thinking about vga now and seeing what the results might be.

I wish I could "beam down" someone who could set up native rate to see what everyone is talking about :blink:

Chui and Marcelo,

I've got the VP30 running OK now.

Using hdmi 720p @60hz all around for output

Question is 60hz considered better than 50hz when using the standard 720p. I felt it was better than the 50hz.

Also to note was that the colors worked a bit better with component, as the facial colors really need to be tuned down in saturation to make it look good.

I am thinking about vga now and seeing what the results might be.

I wish I could "beam down" someone who could set up native rate to see what everyone is talking about :blink:

Hi MRDoggy,

The colour controls for the HDMI and VGA need to be calibrated indendently (hence the difference in colours, contrast, black levels, etc...) - good component should be very close to good dvi/hdmi no issues there.

The 60hz or 50hz question - if you don't see any judder @ 60hz (and the ABT is great at framerate conversion) - you might as well run it at 60hz ... you could also try 59.94 as many plasmas support that and it causes less judder then 60hz ....

Hi Misterdoggy,

I cant see why you can't use 720p@50. That way there isn't any FRC.

As per my PM, yes the first lot of settings were for PC(VGA) input on the panel. I think this is a superior picture.

Try using those settings I supplied and change clock, etc on the panel

To change clock & phase on the panel go:-

Menu>Setup Menu>PC Setup. This gives acces to:-

Clock

H-Position

V-Position

Clock Phase

Sync

Cheers

Chui

Hi MRDoggy,

The colour controls for the HDMI and VGA need to be calibrated indendently (hence the difference in colours, contrast, black levels, etc...) - good component should be very close to good dvi/hdmi no issues there.

The 60hz or 50hz question - if you don't see any judder @ 60hz (and the ABT is great at framerate conversion) - you might as well run it at 60hz ... you could also try 59.94 as many plasmas support that and it causes less judder then 60hz ....

Big Marcelo

I don't know or can't find the word indendently. Perhaps a mispelling of another word like independently ? Do you mean I have to adjust it by "eye" to what pleases me maybe ?

What is and how do you detect judder ? I mean if the repeat rate 60hz is faster than the picture should be better and therefore 60hz is better than 50hz.

I am using the temporary unit loaned to me until I take delivery of the maching with the abt card in it. The picture looks good in both 50hz and 60hz hdmi. I am wondering how to "test" to see if there is judder and learn what to look for.

Chui,

Thanks for responding. I am guessing that FRC is Frequence Rate Conversion. So going at 50hz sounds like a better idea, because FRC is better avoided then?

Also your settings in VGA only seem to be 1280 x 720 and not 768. So what is the difference if I stay hdmi as I can have 720p in both component and hdmi ?

I know these must be stupid questions, but the learning curve is coming along.

Can you recommend a cable vga/rgb I found a Oelbach vga/5bnc in Germany

thanks to both of you :blink:

Some user reviews on AVS forum starting to appear. All sounds very encouraging...

Review

------------------------------

Working next to DVDO has its advantages. I received my ABT102 on Wednesday. I had already upgraded my firmware to 1.07 beta, so installation was literally unscrew the cover, snap in two standoffs plus the card, reattach the cover and go. There was no software configuration necessary. Deinterlacing defaults to auto and there's relatively little need to change it from that setting.

Before and after installation, I ran through the ABT test disc, the SiliconOptix disc, DVE montage of images, as well as selected tests from the Microsoft and Avia discs. The difference was very impressive. The 102 passed basically every test I could throw at it whereas the Sil504 failed most of the non-mainstream tests. The edge detection stuff works very well. The difficult sailboat rigging test on the ABT disc was flickering tremendously on the 504, but was cleaned up immensely on the 102. Out of the 50 or so ropes in the moving shot only a few thin ropes in the background showed any hint of flicker. Also this is the least amount of flicker I've ever seen on the DVE "zoom out from the leafy tree" test. Admittedly I haven't been able to evaluate the HQV part, but it's definitely better than I'd seen with other deinterlacers including the former king of video mode, Faroudja. Overall the Montage Of Images looks awesome. Real world tests are equally impressive. As Gary has stated there is very little flicker on challenging material like guitar strings on concert DVDs. The cadence detection stuff is equally impressive. Finally animation is comb free. Most of the cadences locked on very quickly with 2:2 being a bit slower than the rest. 3:2 Film mode deinterlacing looks very similar to the Sil504. I'd almost say it looks sharper/clearer, but its probably just the placebo effect of a new toy.

The ABT test disc is nice bonus. It has the standard display adjustment patterns, plus the widest variety of cadence tests I've yet seen. Interestingly the race car and coffee shop bits are the same stock footage SiliconOptix used on their disc. The edge detection patterns are good, though repeats of similar patterns I've got elsewhere. The image montage stuff is decent though in my opinion DVE covers a bit more ground as a torture test and is arguably more interesting to watch. The menus on the ABT disc are simple and no-nonsense which I appreciate, though beginners might prefer the more explanatory approach that SiliconOptix took on their disc. Also, not a big deal, but I would have preferred the DVD to come in a standard case for storage as opposed to a paper sleeve.

All in all I'm thrilled with the ABT102. Definitely the best $200 upgrade I've purchased in very long time.

- Collin

----

Big Marcelo

I don't know or can't find the word indendently. Perhaps a mispelling of another word like independently ? Do you mean I have to adjust it by "eye" to what pleases me maybe ?

What is and how do you detect judder ? I mean if the repeat rate 60hz is faster than the picture should be better and therefore 60hz is better than 50hz.

I am using the temporary unit loaned to me until I take delivery of the maching with the abt card in it. The picture looks good in both 50hz and 60hz hdmi. I am wondering how to "test" to see if there is judder and learn what to look for.

Chui,

Thanks for responding. I am guessing that FRC is Frequence Rate Conversion. So going at 50hz sounds like a better idea, because FRC is better avoided then?

Also your settings in VGA only seem to be 1280 x 720 and not 768. So what is the difference if I stay hdmi as I can have 720p in both component and hdmi ?

thanks to both of you :blink:

Sorry, I meant idependently! - judder is easier to see on long panning motions or scrolling text - like titles or CNN newstickers ..... or if you watch soccer, a long ball pass may not be smooth if there is judder present ...... the best possible framerate is the same one that the signal is in ... ie: you receive 50hz in from the tv signal and passthough 50hz to your panel ... assuming your panel accepts that rate (the pana does over component/rgb).... that's what the DVDO calls 'locked' framerate... it locks the frame rate to the 'incoming signal's' framerate .....

720p is a sgtandard rate and easy to send to he panel with no complications - to get 768p correctl yyou need to modify the settings of the signal to match your panel.

720p should be accepted at both 50hz and 60hz .....

so you could choose 720p locked (matching the incoming signal)....

Thanks Marcelo,

I was reading a review about the Mark Levinson Media Console 40 and because it was so expensive and in a league by itself the reviewer had nothing to compare it with. So he made a comparison with an Anthem20 which he had.

I then went to Anthem's site and discovered that the new Anthem D2 not only does upscaling of audio signals but also incorporated upconversions too. It uses the Gennum GF9350 VXP Image Processor.

Wow I thought, Processor, Preamp, upscaler, upconvertor and DAC all in one unit. They compared the video processing to the vp30 !!

I have everything separate: Mark Levinson DAC, Preamp, Lexicon Processor, VP30 all to do what the Anthem does. It would be hard to imagine the Anthem could perform like all these separates though

Chui,

thanks to both of you

Hi Misterdoggy,

I sent you two sets of figures. The VGA settings were definately NOT 1280*720. Check the H-Size & V-Size figures and one of them will be 1366*768.

Send me a PM if you need them again.

Cheers,

Chui

Hi Misterdoggy,

I sent you two sets of figures. The VGA settings were definately NOT 1280*720. Check the H-Size & V-Size figures and one of them will be 1366*768.

Send me a PM if you need them again.

Cheers,

Chui

Anyone heard when the ABT102 deinterlacer card is arriving in Aust?

Thanks Marcelo,

I was reading a review about the Mark Levinson Media Console 40 and because it was so expensive and in a league by itself the reviewer had nothing to compare it with. So he made a comparison with an Anthem20 which he had.

I then went to Anthem's site and discovered that the new Anthem D2 not only does upscaling of audio signals but also incorporated upconversions too. It uses the Gennum GF9350 VXP Image Processor.

Wow I thought, Processor, Preamp, upscaler, upconvertor and DAC all in one unit. They compared the video processing to the vp30 !!

I have everything separate: Mark Levinson DAC, Preamp, Lexicon Processor, VP30 all to do what the Anthem does. It would be hard to imagine the Anthem could perform like all these separates though

I would prefer separates.... I also read a brief review of it, and I don't think it has all the settings & flexibility the VP30 has.... sure it must be simpler to set up... but I'd go for for separates myself....

Anyone heard when the ABT102 deinterlacer card is arriving in Aust?

I asked about mine today - haven't had a reply yet - however the USA units are just starting to ship now.... I guess they'd probably ship to US customers first.

I'm waiting for it to arrive to also install the IR lens replacement... do all at once....

I asked about mine today - haven't had a reply yet - however the USA units are just starting to ship now.... I guess they'd probably ship to US customers first.

Mine was sent off by airmail 3 days ago. Should be here any day now. Like you Marcelo, I'll install the lens at the same time.

Did you guys get the lens replacement from the AUS dealer? or the group buy dealer?

I got mine from the Australian distributor Synergy Audio.

Like everyone else, I'll be doing both the Lens change and Card Insert at the same time :blink:

Oh... I should ring them for mine too then...

Thanks Foggy and Marcelo...

I will also be doing the Lens replacement (when I get it..), SDI card upgrade and the Deinterlace card all at the same time..

I heard someone was saying that the firmware needs to be upgraded to 1.07 beta to get the new card working.. is it true?

Mine is still on the original version...had no reason for the upgrade so far...

Also...I haven't got SDI mod DVD player yet and knowing Blu-ray or HD-DVD players coming to the stores pretty soon..don't know if it is still worth getting a new DVD with SDI mod...I also hear about HD-SDI too...

Never ending story...

Yes Aussie, you'll need to upgrade to v1.07.

I wouldn't bother with an SDI modded player. I'll probably just get an Oppo and send the VP30 576i via DVI.

Thanks Foggy.

Would u recommend that I should sell my SDI card?

Any takers???

Yes Aussie, you'll need to upgrade to v1.07.

I wouldn't bother with an SDI modded player. I'll probably just get an Oppo and send the VP30 576i via DVI.

Ah, problema here Foggy. Oppo doesn't do 480/576i, only 480/576p on DVI. I've just received my SDI kit from Pixel Magic, so may be installing that this week sometime. I ordered the SDI VP30 card at the same time as the VP30 and got that at USD100 at the time. (Lenexpo). SDI kit from Pixel Magic came in at USD168 (total ripp-off for what you get - one small PCB with an even smaller IC on it - but that's the way it is :blink: ). Hope that it'll be worth it. If it works out (blows off my socks), then I'll have a pretty well priced top-of-the-line DVD player at a very reasonable price all up. :P