The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

Ah Ash............

It seems that HT isn't one thing that is rushed !!!

If you read back through this topic to when the delays were first announced you'll see that there was no anger, just excitment that the day was eventually coming.

Look through the Toshiba HDD-J35 threads, the bugs are gradually being ironed out........

Look through the original "Club Fuji" threads, waiting...waiting.......

Foxys HT wait, My building saga..........

Look at people waiting for Media Players / HD STB's / SED Display / The "Next Model" AVR..............

Seems that's the way things are :blink: !!!

Austen.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

I also received my VP30 finally since paying for it back in when was it?? September.

After all the dramas with HDCP and audio, 3 month delay etc, I'm very surprised how calm, patiently and easily you guys take in news such as the VP30's IR has issues. I was expecting a big DVDO protest or something, especially considering we have to wait longer to receive the fix-it-yourself kit or wait to send it back and get a replacement or fixed.

I'm not even into it as you guys, and I really had the shits. Don't you guys think you being a little too easy and calm :blink: I guess I'de just expect something like that to work VERY smoothly especially considering the price-tag and the delay-time that was put on.

Ash.

So what do you suggest that we can do? I understand where your angers all come from but if you would like to lead us into your ideas, you will have to give us some more directions that we could perhaps follow. I know few of us aren't entirely happy with the delay etc... but I think voice was very simple 'You do not have to buy if you aren't happy'.

Not trying to offend you but if you give us some more of your ideas and what you want from them etc.. we could jump right in it. This is the beauty of this forum as we all know. BTW I am starting to see some values out of this VP30 as you would have found if you have followed my postings in this thread but that has nothing to do with my intention of defending DVDO in any ways regarding the remote issue etc. We all know sending this unit back and forth to out reseller or DVDO would cost us more than getting the kit sent to us so I don't think everyone is happy but just trying to think of the best way which happens to be DIY kit IMHO but again, I am very open to your suggestions hence I can take an advantages of voices of crowds.

I guess one other option is that we could ask the retailer to come to our home and fix it for us. Is this the suggestion you are thinking of?

Ah Ash............

It seems that HT isn't one thing that is rushed !!!

If you read back through this topic to when the delays were first announced you'll see that there was no anger, just excitment that the day was eventually coming.

Look through the Toshiba HDD-J35 threads, the bugs are gradually being ironed out........

Look through the original "Club Fuji" threads, waiting...waiting.......

Foxys HT wait, My building saga..........

Look at people waiting for Media Players / HD STB's / SED Display / The "Next Model" AVR..............

Seems that's the way things are :blink: !!!

Austen.

Agree...

It is the marketing tactic for HT makers..

Throw the baits - new features & improvements etc

Create the buzz

Monitor demands

Delay the release date

Desperation increases

BANG now finally you have it..

Then what we all say instead of getting annoyed with whatever the issues we had to put to get it??

THANKS GOD IT IS HERE WITH ME...

so we human just fall into that tactic no matter how manyever times...

then we become like what we are doing now... being very torelant..

Though I think DVDO admitting to the faults and coming out with options to tackle their problems as soon as people recognise them is a good thing. It is just that DVDO isn't close to us. How many times do you hear that a car gets recalled after years of use etc... and software bugs only get fixed with Service Packs releases not on spot.... so getting problems and wait to get those fixes are a normal practice IMHO.

Having said that I was a bit sceptical when I got no 'bonus cables (eg HDMI cables)' that some of us were hoping for....

Still I am open for your bright suggestions...

And as AussieX3 intimates, apart from ulcers, what is yelling and screaming going to get you ???

At the best, it'll get you your money back, and then what, you don't have your unit for the next 10 - 20 years or whatever.

I guess the big picture is that for 10+ years of happy use, a few weeks extra is worth waiting for.....

Maybe that's why we're so patient, these purchases are (generally) not replaced every year (Groover / Glencol excepted :blink: ), so what's a few extra weeks in the scheme of things ?

Austen.

Hi all.

I'm sorry, I just don't want to return it etc after waiting so long and ofcourse I know I'm not the only one, but was just so impressed with everyones patience. Maybe, seeing ofcourse how I'm pretty new to HT, I should get used to delays :blink:

AussieX3 ofcourse I'm following your postings, and everyone elses in this thread. I'm learning that I should have more patience in future.

Ash.

Just a quick question to Foggy or other VP30 and PS2 owners.

Do you guys also get the input from PS2 with borders around it about 2 inches? and can only be Zoomed or overscan to fit into the screen at 16:9?

Yep but it was like that usingSVideo and Component into the Fujitsu as well.

Just picked up my VP30 today and struggling to make sense of it all...even after reading and re-reading the manual over the past few weeks.

What's the deal with the grey vertical side bars that pulse in out...like a pair of barn doors that want to close, then open, then close and so on. I'm sure I've read something about this before, but for the life of me I can't find it now...been through the manual and back over the forum.

This stuff is a bit challenging for newbies who just want to plug it in and enjoy...can't believe how much I'm floundering with this one.

Maybe I've got this whole thing wrong, but I was hoping one of the things I could do was take a simply 4:3 broadcast from my Toppy and stretch it (while preserving aspect ratio) to fill a 16:9 screen. I'm pushing buttons, but not even coming close to what I want.

On my original setup it was simple...set Toppy to 4:3 extract, then set Pioneer display to 'wide' display mode. Voila...4:3 image filling 16:9 display and AR preserved...no squishy or stretched faces.

Guess it's early days, but I can't say I'm enjoying the process so far :blink:

Edit: Perhaps another way of describing the barndoor effect is to relate it to the 'curtain' function. It's as though it's going through the curtain function by partial drawing the grey curtain, then opening it up again. I push the curtain button, the grey side bars close smooothly, but when I open the curtain, the side bars pulse open in an exaggerated manner.

Cliff

Just picked up my VP30 today and struggling to make sense of it all...even after reading and re-reading the manual over the past few weeks.

What's the deal with the grey vertical side bars that pulse in out...like a pair of barn doors that want to close, then open, then close and so on. I'm sure I've read something about this before, but for the life of me I can't find it now...been through the manual and back over the forum.

This stuff is a bit challenging for newbies who just want to plug it in and enjoy...can't believe how much I'm floundering with this one.

Maybe I've got this whole thing wrong, but I was hoping one of the things I could do was take a simply 4:3 broadcast from my Toppy and stretch it (while preserving aspect ratio) to fill a 16:9 screen. I'm pushing buttons, but not even coming close to what I want.

On my original setup it was simple...set Toppy to 4:3 extract, then set Pioneer display to 'wide' display mode. Voila...4:3 image filling 16:9 display and AR preserved...no squishy or stretched faces.

Guess it's early days, but I can't say I'm enjoying the process so far :P

Cliff

Good to see you're back on deck Cliff. Thought you'd deserted us. Now, did you try that cup of coffee and glass of port when you read the manual - n times that is? :blink:

I think if you first of all stretch the pic to 16:9 and then use the Zoom button, you will get the right AR without everyone looking like Bert Newton. Of course, you'll occassionally chop of part of people's heads or feet this way. I prefer to keep the original 4:3 aspect, but then I have an LCD panel, so no probs with burn marks.

But, why are you setting the Toppy up with 4:3 to begin with? My PVR's all put out 16:9 - the Sony and the new Humax. I must be missing something here.

Phil.

P.S. I think I missed the point about having a 4:3 recording in the first place. Then, I guess my recipe above has to be followed. As I said, I normally view 4:3 as 4:3, so I haven't been actively looking for other more streamlined ways of doing it.

P.P.S. Just had a play with the ASPECT control button. No doubt you've already played with that too. Seems though you can save a setup once you've set up a "profile". What problems did you strike using these aspect controls?

Edited by JPP

Edit: Perhaps another way of describing the barndoor effect is to relate it to the 'curtain' function. It's as though it's going through the curtain function by partial drawing the grey curtain, then opening it up again. I push the curtain button, the grey side bars close smooothly, but when I open the curtain, the side bars pulse open in an exaggerated manner.

Cliff

Cliff, I leave my PVR as normal 16:9, even when viewing 4:3 material. When I view the VCR, and it's of course 4:3 only, I get the curtain coming in from the sides to fill the area between the left an right sides to the 4:3 image. You can set the amount of grey in the "side" curtain, so that you avoid burn marks - recommended amount of greay is about 50%. Grey will "excercise" all three colours, so should help in avoiding uneven phosphor ageing. That way you can watch 4:3 on your plasma without having to fill the whole screen area that's of course if you're happy with that :P . Hope this hasn't confused you further. :blink:

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Our friendly retailer actually mentioned you (in positive manner :blink: ) today when I went to pick up VP30.

Perhaps I had the coffee and port in the wrong hands? After the hours I spent reading the PDF of the manual, I honestly thought I had this this nailed but at this point I'm feeling that if you had given the remote to a monkey he would have made more progress than me so far!

When you say 'stretch the picture to 16:9', can you walk me through the button sequence for that... need a bit of monkey-see, monkey-do to get my confidence going here:). There seems to be three place you can set it...two on i/p and one on o/p.

I just tried the zoom button. Hey - it works! You're a champion:)

The Toppy is set to output at 16:9, but it has a '4:3 centre extract' feature (button '0') that will scale an image to fill the display (i.e. rather than have side bars). The only problem is that AR is compromised. That's where the 'wide' mode on the display comes in...it uses it's scaler to adjust the ratio so that image isn't stretched horizontally. This was one reason I wanted the VP30...get it to do the scaling in one spot.

My big problem now is these pulsating grey side bars. It's looks like some sort of 'curtain' issue but having searched AVS I still can't find any reference to it. Had a look at DVDO site...nothing there either. It's pretty much useless to watch while it does this.

Thanks again for your help Phil.

Cliff

T-minus 2 days until Fuji panel/VP30 calibration

hey turns out my ear-piercing shrill/popping sound issue thank god isnt so much a major issue with my VP30 (as does not happen when I connect xbox to the VP30) - apparently the issue occurs with some sources (I guess they couldnt test every possible source device on the planet) - DVDO trying to track it down and release a software patch that will (hopefully) sort it out

i read somewhere that, currently, upgrading the software on the VP30 can/will lead to all settings being lost.

this is a tad distressing in terms of having the thing calibrated/configured by Aaron, then losing all the settings when updating the software

yes I could go through every menu and write down all my settings... but my god... what a saga

be good if you could "download" the config to some kind of file and store it off-line, and then use that file to "flash" the VP30 to restore your settings

been having a read around, but dont think this is an option?

cheers :blink:

Can I just point out something that I don't think has been stated on this forum yet...(I may be wrong)

The DVDO is not going to produce a MASSIVE improvement on every panel it is used with. Those with Pioneer Plasma's for example will see very little improvement due to the fact that they have rather good scalers in them already.

So perhaps, and i mean perhaps, those who are not experiencing that WOW, may have a panel with a fairly good scaler in it.

Me on the other hand, I have a SHARP LCD which is a brilliant panel, with a poor scaler in it. So for me, the results are WOW. I will never watch a DVD without a scaler, ever. The improvement is truly stunning.

Just a thought, you may return to your normal viewing now.......

Can I just point out something that I don't think has been stated on this forum yet...(I may be wrong)

The DVDO is not going to produce a MASSIVE improvement on every panel it is used with. Those with Pioneer Plasma's for example will see very little improvement due to the fact that they have rather good scalers in them already.

So perhaps, and i mean perhaps, those who are not experiencing that WOW, may have a panel with a fairly good scaler in it.

Me on the other hand, I have a SHARP LCD which is a brilliant panel, with a poor scaler in it. So for me, the results are WOW. I will never watch a DVD without a scaler, ever. The improvement is truly stunning.

Just a thought, you may return to your normal viewing now.......

yeah this is the conclusion I have more or less come to with my Fuji panel

so once Aaron has been over to calibrate my panel/VP30 on Friday, I will know definitively as to how much the VP30 will make any improvement in PQ (if any, or perhaps not at all)

You can set the amount of grey in the "side" curtain, so that you avoid burn marks - recommended amount of greay is about 50%. Grey will "excercise" all three colours, so should help in avoiding uneven phosphor ageing.

I agree that it seems to a curtain issue, but the problem is that the curtain pulses in and out (about 3 times/sec)...it's very distracting.

Cliff

yeah this is the conclusion I have more or less come to with my Fuji panel

so once Aaron has been over to calibrate my panel/VP30 on Friday, I will know definitively as to how much the VP30 will make any improvement in PQ (if any, or perhaps not at all)

It WILL make some, as it is better than ANY built in scaler, but it may well be small....

You can set the amount of grey in the "side" curtain, so that you avoid burn marks - recommended amount of greay is about 50%. Grey will "excercise" all three colours, so should help in avoiding uneven phosphor ageing.

I agree that it seems to a curtain issue, but the problem is that the curtain pulses in and out (about 3 times/sec)...it's very distracting.

Cliff

Ok, get the point or your problem to be more precise. Take it you saw my edit re ASPECT controls - just mention it here again in case that will help solve the pulsating curtain.

Seems as if the VP30 is sensing 2 aspect ratios continuously and is adjusting itself as a response to that.

Let's get back to basics first. How is your J35 or other STB working? Is it only the Toppy that is making the VP30 behave this way? When you go to the Output config menu screen - does that give you full 16:9 without any "curtaining?

Some have been posting saying they're setting their STB to progressive. By doing this you are not getting the most out of the VP30. It is a scaler AND a deinterlacer.

By setting your STB to progressive you are not using the EXCELLENT deinterlacing of the VP30 rather you are using the CRAPPY deinterlacing of the STB - there is really only one exception to this which is arguable and that is channel 7 HD. The same goes for your DVD player.

So the ideal situation, to get the most out of your VP30, is to use it as a scaler and a deinterlacer. A secondary outcome of the scaling is a pixel match but this cream on the top. Naturally the best connection method is recommended, SDI first, HDMI/DVI second, Component third. Forget the rest or use SVID as a last resort.

Scaling and deinterlacing are better on the VP for each scenario you can consider in Aus:

- DTV . Deinterlacing and scaling a must - otherwise relying on the extremely low-end scalers of the STB or the scalers of the display. Once again 7HD the only possible consideration where the VP wouldn't be the choice for deinterlacing.

- Your DVD player. The player and displays scalers and deinterlacers are not in the same league as your VP30, once again feeding a 576i source with the best possible connection method is recommended. I can't even see the top end dvd players being able to compete with the VP30 in this regard.

- Cable TV - as above.

These all require an interlaced source (576i or 1080i) fed to the scaler and a progressive palatable resolution out of the scaler.

snip.............

When you say 'stretch the picture to 16:9', can you walk me through the button sequence for that... need a bit of monkey-see, monkey-do to get my confidence going here:). There seems to be three place you can set it...two on i/p and one on o/p.

I just tried the zoom button. Hey - it works! You're a champion:)

The Toppy is set to output at 16:9, but it has a '4:3 centre extract' feature (button '0') that will scale an image to fill the display (i.e. rather than have side bars). The only problem is that AR is compromised. That's where the 'wide' mode on the display comes in...it uses it's scaler to adjust the ratio so that image isn't stretched horizontally. This was one reason I wanted the VP30...get it to do the scaling in one spot.

Cliff

Juts had a further play with all this aspect ratio business. The VP30 is in this respect more powerful than the HD+.

I think you'll get all the funtionality you want out of it using the ASPECT button on the remote. This adjusts the Frame AR as well as the active AR and many other "zoom" parameters. You've probably discovered all of this by now, but I mention it in case spme others are having similar familiarisation problems. Takes quite a while to get your head around all of these things - don't forget I've had a HD+ for nearly six months. The Aspect settings are unique to the input you're on, so if these settings apply only to that input, you don't need to save them in a user profile.

The Toppy's set to "extract 4:3" function may be the problem here as you've no doubt already guessed. I think we can get around it by using the Aspect functions of the VP30. I haven't yet tried to tie in an aspect user profile to a certain input setup, but I think some others here have at least been sucessful in getting user profiles to automatically switch across on certain actions.

<.....snip....>

this is a tad distressing in terms of having the thing calibrated/configured by Aaron, then losing all the settings when updating the software

yes I could go through every menu and write down all my settings... but my god... what a saga

Fear not Pandemik, Aaron will leave you with a document detailing all the settings for the various devices upon completion. I can't wait to get my new HT room and projector setup so I can enlist his services once again.

So the ideal situation, to get the most out of your VP30, is to use it as a scaler and a deinterlacer. A secondary outcome of the scaling is a pixel match but this cream on the top. Naturally the best connection method is recommended, SDI first, HDMI/DVI second, Component third. Forget the rest or use SVID as a last resort.

Nobby I don't believe there is an svid out (wish there was for my older stye tv)

These all require an interlaced source (576i or 1080i) fed to the scaler and a progressive palatable resolution out of the scaler.

Yes I have found tonite that the feed via hdmi from the 3910 is better as 1080i rather than 576p or 720p (into my 720p pj via hdmi)

Interesting as 720p direct was always the best before the VP30

Good news re VP30 on foxtel...

I had wife, myself and two kids do blind evaluation of the channel 10 dtv vs channel 10 fox digital retransmission and there was no readily discernable difference. Both are feeding component to VP30 and hdmi out to 720p pj on 100" screen. Very few artifacts, which to me is not usual.

Not bad for foxtel!! Very pleased.

hey turns out my ear-piercing shrill/popping sound issue thank god isnt so much a major issue with my VP30 (as does not happen when I connect xbox to the VP30) - apparently the issue occurs with some sources (I guess they couldnt test every possible source device on the planet) - DVDO trying to track it down and release a software patch that will (hopefully) sort it out

i read somewhere that, currently, upgrading the software on the VP30 can/will lead to all settings being lost.

be good if you could "download" the config to some kind of file and store it off-line, and then use that file to "flash" the VP30 to restore your settings

been having a read around, but dont think this is an option?

Cool... love to hear from you when you get your calibration done...

Guys are you going to update software of the VP30 for the 1080i input output bug or should this only be applied if your using 1080i period??

From JOSH at AV-Forums.

We will have the software with the 1080i input->1080i output bug resolved posted on our website by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Thanks,

Ash.

snip.....

Yes I have found tonite that the feed via hdmi from the 3910 is better as 1080i rather than 576p or 720p (into my 720p pj via hdmi)

Interesting as 720p direct was always the best before the VP30

Good news re VP30 on foxtel...

Hi Norpus,

The only exception to this maybe the newer upscaling DVD players fitted with the Faroudja chipset. This chipset is purportedly better at motion de-interlacing than the Silicon Optix chipset currently used in the VP30. I've found that my OPPO, which has the Faroudja chipset, looks much the same using either 567p, 720p or 1080i. I've chosen 576p as then the Oppo does at least no upscaling which the VP30 is better at. I'd love a 576i output to make a true comparison wrt de-interlacing. Yes, I know I could select 1080i, but then I have the Oppo upscaling the image before the VP30 receives it, then the the VP30 downscaling it again to my native 768 lines. A bit like watching an SD channel on your HD STB which is set at 1080i output res, feeding into the VP30 - a double conversion process.

Phil.

Edited by JPP

Guys are you going to update software of the VP30 for the 1080i input output bug or should this only be applied if your using 1080i period??

From JOSH at AV-Forums.

Thanks,

Ash.

its mainly if you are using 1080i in AND 1080i out - I've downloaded it but I haven't installed it ... I need to get a USB to RS323 cable.....