The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

hi all,

I seem to be having an issue with my VP30, which I picked up this morning.

I am getting zero image on my Fuji panel from the VP30 via HDMI.

I have the VP30 connected to input5 (HDMI) on my panel, however I can not see anything from the VP30, not the menu, not the test patterns, nothing.

So it is either a bad VP30, a bad HDMI input on my panel, or a bad cable.

I have never used the HDMI input on my panel before, and have no other HDMI devices to test.

Wondering (hoping) if I have overlooked something??

cheers

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all,

I seem to be having an issue with my VP30, which I picked up this morning.

I am getting zero image on my Fuji panel from the VP30 via HDMI.

I have the VP30 connected to input5 (HDMI) on my panel, however I can not see anything from the VP30, not the menu, not the test patterns, nothing.

So it is either a bad VP30, a bad HDMI input on my panel, or a bad cable.

I have never used the HDMI input on my panel before, and have no other HDMI devices to test.

Wondering (hoping) if I have overlooked something??

cheers

Did you set the VP30 output parameters to HDCP?

There is HDMI, HDMI 1.1 and soon to be HDMI 1.3 (for HD-DVD/Blu- Ray etc).

Cable quailty is more of an issue with long cables. For anything up to 3m long, most are just fine. The thicker the cable, the better quality it is in general (lower internal capacitance). Don't pay huge prices for so called Oxygen Free Copper conductor cables. Multi stranding of the conductors is far more important. Multi stranding also makes the cable more supple. Sorry, I was going to keep out of this cable debate :blink:

unfortunately, pressing "curtain" doesnt do anything

I went into the menu to find the HDCP setting (menu via the LCD display on the VP30), and im not sure what the HDCP is set to, as it doesnt seem to toggle? Or is it toggling between ON/OFF, and just doesnt display as such?

in any event, still no picture on panel :blink:

unfortunately, pressing "curtain" doesnt do anything

I went into the menu to find the HDCP setting (menu via the LCD display on the VP30), and im not sure what the HDCP is set to, as it doesnt seem to toggle? Or is it toggling between ON/OFF, and just doesnt display as such?

in any event, still no picture on panel :blink:

Very silly suggestion, but you have checked to make sure that the VP30 is set to Digital Output - not analog? I take it that you've set the resolution at 1080i? This is fine for getting a picture up on the screen. Maybe even select 576i. Once you have a picture, you can start fiddling with getting it to accept its native resolution.

Edited by JPP

Very silly suggestion, but you have checked to make sure that the VP30 is set to Digital Output - not analog? I take it that you've set the resolution at 1080i? This is fine for getting a picture up on the screen. Maybe even select 576i. Once you have a picture, you can start fiddling with getting it to accept its native resolution.

dude at this point, I am happy to entertain any suggestion :blink:

yeah I have checked output is digital etc

im pretty sure I dont need to mess with anything in terms of resolution, I should get at least something on the screen - but I tried it all the same, still nothing

did you guys have to mess with any settings, such as resolution etc etc? im pretty sure it should display something pretty much out of the box...

cheers

Aussie,

Have you pixel matched the Fuji?. If not, you're defeating the purpose of the VP30.

I've had no trouble with 1080i @ 50hZ out of a LG STB. Any problems I've encounted have been incorrect setup rather than bugs. Even the remote sensitivity problem mentioned on avsforum is fine with my unit.

I have tried pixel matching of 1366x768 but it displays dark blue and red tinted. Sometimes it display ok but it is not crispy clear like other presettings I could use (1080i-60/720p-60 etc). In face, I find much better PQ on my DVD when I use the 720p-60 pre setting on VP30. So how did you solve the issue with 1080i@50Hz?

Aussie you need to have a good read and consideration of what a scaler is doing and how it is helping. It sounds strange to buy such a beautiful peice of equipment just to leave your video plugged via COMPOSITE because it's more convenient!

Firstly you want to set the scaler to output a native pixel match, or thereabouts.

On the DVD 480i is American standard format you want to scale and deinterlace 576i from your DVD player to the native match of your progressive display.

On the STB keep at it or test it scaling SD (576i) once again to a pixel map to your display.

I have seen this downscaling 1080i/50Hz from a DGTEC yesterday so can also confirm what the others are saying about it just being AUSID specific.

Let me say though that downscaling 1080/50i is like getting an elephant to tow your bicycle, the scaler is better placed scaling and deinterlacing 576i or so images to your native pixel map. On this the purpose of the VP30 is not around the corner, it's very much NOW. It is best used to scale all of your SD stuff (DVD/DTV Material/Video stuff) now. As the new NATIVE 1080 stuff becomes available the VP30 will be less useful as it'll just be deinterlacing for you and slightly downscaling.

Keep at it mate these are great units and extremely useful when used properly.

Hi noddy, thanks for the advice. I have set the VP30 to pixle match which I am having trouble with the color distortion only on the Fujitsu's native resolution 1366*768. How do I feed 576i from my STB? I know I can shift the broadcasting from 1080i to 720p, 576p and PAL from AUSID...

Hopefully you've just got finger trouble Aussie. My Strong HD STB 5400 works just fine on 1080i 50 Hz. See my earlier post re all of that. The VP30 is even better than the HD+ in its signal processing - smoother with less noise yet sharper pictures. Fantastic machine, well worth every cent. But you must pixel match your display, otherwise the VP30 just becomes a nice but expensive A/V hub. If you have not done so already, use the checkerboard pattern test pattern procedure on page 33-35 of the manual to test that you have indeed chosen the correct display settings for your panel.

Phil.

Thanks JPP.

Later I will take a picture of what color distortion on my Fuji look like when used 1366x768 - what I know is the pixel of my Fuji 50".

I have tried pixel matching of 1366x768 but it displays dark blue and red tinted. Sometimes it display ok but it is not crispy clear like other presettings I could use (1080i-60/720p-60 etc). In face, I find much better PQ on my DVD when I use the 720p-60 pre setting on VP30. So how did you solve the issue with 1080i@50Hz?

Hi noddy, thanks for the advice. I have set the VP30 to pixle match which I am having trouble with the color distortion only on the Fujitsu's native resolution 1366*768. How do I feed 576i from my STB? I know I can shift the broadcasting from 1080i to 720p, 576p and PAL from AUSID...

Thanks JPP.

Later I will take a picture of what color distortion on my Fuji look like when used 1366x768 - what I know is the pixel of my Fuji 50".

Noddy, PAL is 576i.

Oopps, sorry, Aussie.

Phil.

P.S. Some display panels don't allow you to address them by their native resolution. Fuji is one of the brands that is often effected/has this characteristic. I think the manual makes mention of this. You then have to go into the Advanced mode and manually set the resolution up to a pixel number that your display will accept - see page 33 -34. If yours is a 50in display, DVDO have found that altogh the stated res is 13366 x 768, it's actually 1360 x768 - see top of page 33. You therfore have to set it to 1360 x 768 through the Advanced setup menu.

Edited by JPP

Thanks JPP.

Aussie,

Surley someone else has the esame panel as you? Has anyone else had issues with the 50' fuji?

dude at this point, I am happy to entertain any suggestion :P

yeah I have checked output is digital etc

im pretty sure I dont need to mess with anything in terms of resolution, I should get at least something on the screen - but I tried it all the same, still nothing

did you guys have to mess with any settings, such as resolution etc etc? im pretty sure it should display something pretty much out of the box...

cheers

Are you testing it with AUSID STB at 1080i@50Hz? just wondering....

Have a go at using a DVD. If that still does not work, Do a Factory Default Reset from Configuration menu which should at least display something. Also make sure u choose the correct Input source on remote....

You may have tried it all already...

Try hitting the "Curtain" button on the remote Pandemik.

Foggy... How r u? So what have u got set up on your AUSID and Fujitsu now? I took people's advice and put the AUSID connection back into VP30 but still not happy with the PQ. Also because I do not have a IR option on my AUSID STB it is very inconvinient to turn the TV on as my fuji also goes to Video 3 where as VP30 is outputting to Video 5.....

Please share us more of your wisdom...cheers

Noddy, PAL is 576i.

Phil.

Thanks JPP... now u know how uneducated I am.... :blink:

Aussie,

Surley someone else has the esame panel as you? Has anyone else had issues with the 50' fuji?

I think the answer is that you have a 50in Fuji which is really 1360 x 768 - see my edited post on the previous page.

Noddy, PAL is 576i.

Oopps, sorry, Aussie.

Phil.

P.S. Some display panels don't allow you to address them by their native resolution. Fuji is one of the brands that is often effected/has this characteristic. I think the manual makes mention of this. You then have to go into the Advanced mode and manually set the resolution up to a pixel number that your display will accept - see page 33 -34. If yours is a 50in display, DVDO have found that altogh the stated res is 13366 x 768, it's actually 1360 x768 - see top of page 33. You therfore have to set it to 1360 x 768 through the Advanced setup menu.

Thanks dude...

I have tried similar settings manually... Horizontally, when I set it at 1366 it is ok but when I set the vertical one to 760 and over, it will do the same thing... mind u I have not tried 1360 and 768...I shall try it tonight..

Aussie,

I am thinking the same thing.. 1 person I definately know is the GLENCOL.... where r u? Mr President of 'Club Fuji'??? Help me....

Aussie,

I have the 42" panel with a res of 1024x1024 and I also haven't been able to get it to do a 1:1 pixel map.

I've also played around with custom mode and tried 1024x512, 1024x576, 1024x480.... but none of them seem to work either. :blink:

I've been meaning to get a HDMI to DVI adaptor and try doing it as a "PC Input" into the Fuji's DVI input, but I haven't had time to do this yet.

I currently have it set at 1080i/60 (it won't work on 1080i/50).

I suspect the problems are Fuji related as the ISF guys on the UK AVForum have said all along that they hadn't yet managed to do a 1:1 pixel map on the Fuji.

Aussie,

The Fuji will only pixel map at 1360x768 at 60hZ via a digital input. You need to use the analogue output of the VP30 to pixel map the Fuji at 50hZ

My LG STB has no trouble running a dvi connection at any resolution to VP30 (have not tried an analogue connection)

Aussie,

The Fuji will only pixel map at 1360x768 at 60hZ via a digital input. You need to use the analogue output of the VP30 to pixel map the Fuji at 50hZ

My LG STB has no trouble running a dvi connection at any resolution to VP30 (have not tried an analogue connection)

Would the preference then be to have the 6 black rows or analogue @ 50hz

Would the preference then be to have the 6 black rows or analogue @ 50hz

Infra,

Don't forget that you might need HDCP - that may be the deciding factor if you have a box that outputs HDMI with HDCP enabled - like the Toshy J35 PVR. You won't get any output on analog if the source contains HDCP.

Phil.

I don't know this would do anything to better understand the HDMI cables.. but most of you guys would already knew all this... just in case someone is interested in reading.. here is another my 1c.

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/accesso...00.htm?type=pop

My only question is that Kordz HDMI cable mentions that the cable is capable of upto 1080p for HD and 8 audio channels transmissions but the one that Shelby sells mentions nothing about the audio channels and the HD picture of upto 1080i so would this be the difference or is it something I do not need to worry about as all HDMI cables share the same specs and capability but only the difference in the quality of the copper inside....hmmmm???

I spoke with David from Kordz (cinemacables in Seaford) 2 days ago. Nice guy

He said that his HDMI cables are capable of doing 40metre runs and will be certified as such soon - and that is both the cheaper black one ($129/8m) and the white silver plated Razor ($175/8m) that I picked up from him. So I think the days of dodgy hdmi should be over.

He ran thru the HDMI specs for me - on HDMI 1.0 there were problems with sparklies and other issues, they were resolved on 1.1 and currently we are at v1.2 (in fact he said v1.2a came out last week). All his cables are 1.2 he said.

He said he now has new hdmi switches etc. I said wasn't interested and then showed him the VP30 I'd just picked up, which he was impressed with at first glance.

Aussie,

I have the 42" panel with a res of 1024x1024 and I also haven't been able to get it to do a 1:1 pixel map.

I've also played around with custom mode and tried 1024x512, 1024x576, 1024x480.... but none of them seem to work either. :blink:

I've been meaning to get a HDMI to DVI adaptor and try doing it as a "PC Input" into the Fuji's DVI input, but I haven't had time to do this yet.

I currently have it set at 1080i/60 (it won't work on 1080i/50).

I suspect the problems are Fuji related as the ISF guys on the UK AVForum have said all along that they hadn't yet managed to do a 1:1 pixel map on the Fuji.

Hi Foggy.

I see...so it is the Fuji then... let us know how u go with the PC input. I also personally think either 720p/60 or 1080i/60 settings give out better PQ and color.

During lunch time, I went home and played with it more taking you guys recommendations and now I have the following results.

AUSID-I ran S-video from AUSID into VP30 and let VP30 does all the scaling looks better than the component connection I tried with at 720p/50Hz.. so you guys are right. feed the minimum resolution and let the VP30 does the work. Now I have Component from AUSID into Video 3 of my Fuji and S-Video also going into VP30 (So that my kids and wife will not get lost..hehe) PQ wise, I still think the direct connection is marginally better on HD programs.. but I am happy with the VP30 processing PAL signal.

PS2-also via s-video on VP30 and component on Video4 of Fuji (just for my kid again) but fully agree that S-Video connection via VP30 looks much sharper than direct connection to Fuji via component.

DVD-I have not done anything to this...but my question is.. would using Composite/S-Video output from my DVD into VP30 work better than feeding via component? I set the DVD to output interlaced so PAL will do 576i and NTSC will do 480i. What does component output do to the picture quality in this case when VP30 will do the job regardless of what connection (Component/S-video/Composite).

And the last point on pixel map. I fiddle with 1360*768 mapping via HDMI at 60Hz. works ok but the color and sharpness is better when I use 1080i@60hz or 720p@60Hz pre setting mode on VP30... why would this be the case? Any Fuji owners out there with VP30 suggest what is better in your case?

Now my second impression of the VP30 is worth more than my first impression having set it up taking you guys recommendations. Although I am not taking the advantage of HDMI switch as yet, it is excellent that now I do not have to fiddle with my amp. one source of audio input into it and I do not need to change the channel on my fuji either. Hopefully as time goes by and have more people play around with it will get better and better.

So my contribution is just reitertaing what everyone said already.

FEED VP30 with the least possible resolution you have on your gear and let VP30 does the magic then you will see the results.

G'day Foggy,

I've not been having any probs with 1080i 50Hz on DVI from my STRONG 5400 HD STB. Other sourcs such as the OPPO DVD player which I've set at 720P on DVI also not a problem.

Suprisingly, or perhaps not, I found that the VP30 did a better job of upscaling the SD picture to HD than did the station. So, for me, it's a waste of time switching to the HD channel when a program is claimed to be in HD; I get a better picture doing my own upscaling. Remember though, that my comments are restricted to viewing a picture at a max vertical resolution of 768 lines. A 1080i picture will be downscaled to 768 lines; a 576i picure will be upscaled and de-interlaced to 768 lines. People having PJ's that show a true 1080 lines may get different results.

Phil.

I found similar for 1080i 50Hz - works on the dgtec

From a HDTV source on the dgtec2000a, the pq was better from the sd channel than the hd channel via the vp30. This is contrary to what I used to observe just using the ae700 projector to do the processing.

It was explained to me that the supposed HD source might still be low bit rate, or just sd upscaled by Ch 9 and then retransmitted. Hence the vp30 could do a better job of the scaling locally.

I have noticed that Foxtel IQ picture is improved by the vp30/hdmi to projector (rather than component before) - seeing as Foxtel is what I watch mostly, that is the biggest improvement for me.

One missing feature for me (which I had not even bothered to check) was that the 80cm crt (where I watch a lot of my foxtel) cannot benefit from the vp30 as it does not output svideo, (it does component however). So I will have to upgrade my crt to a component variety at some stage.

So my contribution is just reitertaing what everyone said already.

FEED VP30 with the least possible resolution you have on your gear and let VP30 does the magic then you will see the results.

Good to see that you are making progress Aussie. Just remember though that Component is better than S-Video and S-Video is better than Video or composite. Always choose the best video connection, but at the lowest (usually PAL) resolution.

Phil.

The Fuji's won't pixel map, Glencol mentioned this quite some time ago.

This doesn't mean you can't find something that's close through the PC input.

FWIW Glenn said you cannot pixel map at 50Hz using HDMI. He did say you can pixel map at 60Hz albeit at 1360 x 768 (not 1366x768). See below for how I achieved this.

whos tried 1360 x 768 through HDMI

I have a Fujitsu 50" and a VP30 and have it pixel mapping 1:1 at a resolution of 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz. To do this select 1366x768 from the Format menu under output settings (then go right and select H-Size and reduce this to 1360). The formate will then be a User setting but that is all you need to chose there.

You then have to set the Framerate. Go to Framerate under Output Settings and select the 50Hz box. You have to specify 60.01 Hz (doesn't really matter if it is a little bit different but that is what the Fujitsu manual says it wants) for the framerate for 50Hz source material. If you try anything else (eg 50 or 75Hz) it will either not sync or you won't get 1:1 (unless there is a magic setting I haven't found yet).

I had a brief play with 50Hz output using DVI and on analog with the same results. There are reports on a UK AV Forum that they have managed to get 1:1 @50Hz out of a Lumagen processor into a Fuji but they did not give any further details of what settings were required.