The new DVDO iScan VP30 Video Processor

I've been tinkering with my VP30 tonight and I've already come up with what I believe to be a major flaw for the Australian market;

The only signal type that it seems to correctly recognise and display from my AUSID STB is PAL. It will not work with 1080i-50Hz, 720P-50Hz, or 576P-50Hz. The 50Hz support seems to be severely lacking, and from my knowledge of the Australian DTV standard, I don't believe any STB will output 60Hz.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the output from their STB, or is it just a quirk with the AUSID?

I am having similar problems with the AUSID -> VP30 -> 50" Fujitsu at 1080i@50Hz (from the AUSID) only. The VP30 says the 1080i@50Hz signal is unknown. It recognises 720P, 576p & PAL and all go into the panel OK and display on screen but they don't look as good as the AUSID to Fujitsu durect. I noticed that all of the HD input signals listed in the manual have (ATSC) listed after them. Does Oz used a slightly different signal format to ATSC?

Just to confirm if it was an AUSID problem I hooked up a Sony HDV Camera that outputs 1080i via component and that was recognised by the VP30 (don't have any other HD STBs). That looked good on screen at 1:1@60Hz via HDMI

So we either have a buggy HD implementation on the AUSID (strange since the Fujitsu handles it well and no one else has complained) or there is some issue with 50Hz signals into the VP30 or both.

Greg

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget fellas, to get your money's worth out of the VP30, you need to set the output resolution of the VP30 to your display's native resolution. For most LCDs and Plasmas, this would be around 720-768 vertical. See pages 33-35 of the manual. Note that some displays don't allow you access at their native resolution. Some Fujitsus have this problem. That's a big bummer, as you then have the display always do some scaling, defeating some of the functionality/performance of the VP30.

Phil.

Don't forget fellas, to get your money's worth out of the VP30, you need to set the output resolution of the VP30 to your display's native resolution. For most LCDs and Plasmas, this would be around 720-768 vertical. See pages 33-35 of the manual. Note that some displays don't allow you access at their native resolution. Some Fujitsus have this problem. That's a big bummer, as you then have the display always do some scaling, defeating some of the functionality/performance of the VP30.

Phil.

You're spot on Phil. My Fuji is supposedly native 1024x1024, but when I send it that output, it scales it into a box in the centre of the screen. I may have a tinker with setting the input to "PC Mode" rather than Video and see if that makes a difference.

I am having similar problems with the AUSID -> VP30 -> 50" Fujitsu at 1080i@50Hz (from the AUSID) only. The VP30 says the 1080i@50Hz signal is unknown. It recognises 720P, 576p & PAL and all go into the panel OK and display on screen but they don't look as good as the AUSID to Fujitsu durect. I noticed that all of the HD input signals listed in the manual have (ATSC) listed after them. Does Oz used a slightly different signal format to ATSC?

Just to confirm if it was an AUSID problem I hooked up a Sony HDV Camera that outputs 1080i via component and that was recognised by the VP30 (don't have any other HD STBs). That looked good on screen at 1:1@60Hz via HDMI

So we either have a buggy HD implementation on the AUSID (strange since the Fujitsu handles it well and no one else has complained) or there is some issue with 50Hz signals into the VP30 or both.

Greg

Greg, I can't even get 576P or 720P from the AUSID to display correctly, so you're one step ahead of me!

What I do find is that when changing from a 576i source (component) to a HDMI/DVI source (i.e using the HDMI inputs), that switching across takes a long time. When switching between component sources, it's almost instantaneous like the HD+ was/is.

Phil, I suspect that this might have something to do with the HDMI handshaking/key exchange protocol that is required when 2 HDCP devices attempt to establish a secure connection.

Phil, I suspect that this might have something to do with the HDMI handshaking/key exchange protocol that is required when 2 HDCP devices attempt to establish a secure connection.

Could be. None of my sources are HDCP though, and neither is my display. I've turned the HDCP option off on all my inputs. The delay is between a component and HDMI input switch - the only difference is the resolution - 576i to 1080i. A bit more playing around needed.

Could be. None of my sources are HDCP though, and neither is my display. I've turned the HDCP option off on all my inputs. The delay is between a component and HDMI input switch - the only difference is the resolution - 576i to 1080i. A bit more playing around needed.

Well then it's definitely not HDCP. When establishing a connection with the HDMI input on my plasma, I have to wait approximately 8 seconds for the certification process to complete.

Well then it's definitely not HDCP. When establishing a connection with the HDMI input on my plasma, I have to wait approximately 8 seconds for the certification process to complete.

Played around:

Finger trouble - had HDMI input 1 set to HDCP. It was looking for HDCP, which it after searching for some seconds could not find. It then obviously defaults to pass through and process the non-DHCP signal.

JPP

Edited by JPP

Got mine yesterday. Only opened the box. Told missus this is $500 A/V hub.... :blink: I got ConCord HDMI cable from Jaycar this afternoon and will hook it up tonight to see how everything goes...

hence why I can't take it home yet.... when I get a plasma later this year... it would have come 'bundled' with it... as the switch 'thingy' ...... :P

hence why I can't take it home yet.... when I get a plasma later this year... it would have come 'bundled' with it... as the switch 'thingy' ...... :P

I'll actually leave to you brave guys to tame the beast and get the best settings... by the time I'm ready to install it should be a breeze... Good luck Aussie!

I'me actually thinking of also getting a RS232 to USB adapter... much easier on the laptop to download firmawares...... if you find a cheap one let me know... I only know of the the one on the DVDO website for US$50 plus postage.... not cheap ....

Cheers,

Marcelo

hence why I can't take it home yet.... when I get a plasma later this year... it would have come 'bundled' with it... as the switch 'thingy' ...... :blink:

I'll actually leave to you brave guys to tame the beast and get the best settings... by the time I'm ready to install it should be a breeze... Good luck Aussie!

I'me actually thinking of also getting a RS232 to USB adapter... much easier on the laptop to download firmawares...... if you find a cheap one let me know... I only know of the the one on the DVDO website for US$50 plus postage.... not cheap ....

Cheers,

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo... guess we are all on the similar boat..hehehe.. nice to feel that I am not all alone...

HT.com.au has Comsol USB 1.1 to RS232 9 Pin Serial Converter Cable for AUS$53. If there is a store near you, you can pick one up otherwise, shipping should not cost very much.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,

Marcelo

OH! better still, try instant IT. I think they are located in Brisbane and shipping cost is 16.50 but the cable is for $20 something dollars. Other brands also available.

http://www.iitw.com.au/browse/ProductDetai...ode=28HU%2D709D

Hope this is what you are after.

Cheers

any recommendations on HDMI cables for connecting the VP30 to the panel?

or is a HDMI cable a HDMI cable is a HDMI cable?

me has zero experience with HDMI at this point

cheers :blink:

HI pandemik.

I got ConCord one from Jaycar as per my previous posting. will let you know... though I have nothing to compare with. I could get a cheaper and seems very good too from eBay Shelby I think they are.... just type in HDMI cable and you will find it from eBay... I just could not wait for it so I just went and bought one from Jaycar. Did some research on the forum and people praise about Concord cables...but you can also try htcustomcables.com.au and 1m HDMI is for $59....I myself wanted to know the quality differences on HDMI between different brands and makers but then again this will just start another endless cable debate.. so I just gone with what is easy for me to pick up and go...sorry only my 1cent worth..

I don't know this would do anything to better understand the HDMI cables.. but most of you guys would already knew all this... just in case someone is interested in reading.. here is another my 1c.

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/accesso...00.htm?type=pop

My only question is that Kordz HDMI cable mentions that the cable is capable of upto 1080p for HD and 8 audio channels transmissions but the one that Shelby sells mentions nothing about the audio channels and the HD picture of upto 1080i so would this be the difference or is it something I do not need to worry about as all HDMI cables share the same specs and capability but only the difference in the quality of the copper inside....hmmmm???

Guest Sparky66

As most laptops these days don't have serial com ports , a serial to USB Convertor cable is required. Checking on the DVDO website , (DVDO info on using USB to serial cable) and (Firmware upgrades using usb to serial cable) I noticed that they advise on using a RS232 Serial to USB convertor cable utilising the FTDI Chipset - heaps more reliable firmware upgrades ! Belkin and many other generic brands don't have this "FTDI Chipset" The only place in Oz that I know of that sells these cables with the FTDI chipset is Dontronics in Victoria.

I paid $66 online delivered to my house.

If it helps here is the link :

Dontronics link

Hi Marcelo... guess we are all on the similar boat..hehehe.. nice to feel that I am not all alone...

HT.com.au has Comsol USB 1.1 to RS232 9 Pin Serial Converter Cable for AUS$53. If there is a store near you, you can pick one up otherwise, shipping should not cost very much.

Hope this helps....

OH! better still, try instant IT. I think they are located in Brisbane and shipping cost is 16.50 but the cable is for $20 something dollars. Other brands also available.

Cheers

Edited by Sparky66

HI pandemik.

I got ConCord one from Jaycar as per my previous posting. will let you know... though I have nothing to compare with.

hey there :blink:

yeah I think I will do something similar - might have a look at what the retailer has when I pick up the VP30, hopefully in next day or two...

cheers! :P

Hope this helps....

Cheers

thanks Aussie! Cheers,

Marcelo

As most laptops these days don't have serial com ports , a serial to USB Convertor cable is required. Checking on the DVDO website , (DVDO info on using USB to serial cable) and (Firmware upgrades using usb to serial cable) I noticed that they advise on using a RS232 Serial to USB convertor cable utilising the FTDI Chipset - heaps more reliable firmware upgrades ! Belkin and many other generic brands don't have this "FTDI Chipset" The only place in Oz that I know of that sells these cables with the FTDI chipset is Dontronics in Victoria.

I paid $66 online delivered to my house.

If it helps here is the link :

Dontronics link

Nice one - thanks Sparky ....

Finally had a play around with the beast. To my surprise, this is well below my expectation.

Firstly with AUSID STB, as foggy pointed out, it won't accept the 1080i@50Hz. However, other modes work fine with my 50" Fuji. Referring to the VP30 manual page 30-31, there is no mention of 1080i mode available for PAL but only for ATSC and our HD standard being DVB-T not ATSC, it seems 1080i mode on any of HD STBs out there won't work with VP30...(what a bummer). With my untrained eyes, I think AUSID's 1080i@50Hz connected directely to Fuji works much better than the 576p via VP30. So I hooked it back into Video3 on my Fuji.

With DVDs... the VP30 manual says to output from DVD palyer at 480i preventing any scaling job done by the DVD player which I did then hooked it with VP30 seems displaying about the same quality as my original setup via component Video4.

Now for VCR, I did not see any PQ improvement via VP30 and I did not like the fact that there is no Wide2 mode (only for fujitsu owners) to convert 4:3 of VCR to 16:9..(may be I have not played well enough with the VP30 in this regards) but could not be bothered looking at it further as Fujitsu remote and Video1 connection from my old VCR was much easiler to deal with so I hooked it back into Fuji directly again.

Not much improvement on my PS2 via VP30 either...

Without having much of knowledge of what the scaler really is capable of... I could not see over $2,000 worth on this unit with the current gears I have... but I am hoping and thinking that the VP30 will at least be handy when I replace my DVD player to the next generation and add PVR and PS3 etc....so I can utilise it as more of A/V hub... well very expensive hub and I am sure the A/V receivers will catch up very soon...

Oh another thing I liked is Audio switching from S/PDIF or Toslink to again either S/PDIF or Toslink output.. so in my case VP30 became very expensive audio signal converter at the stage.......

I hope to hear more of positive feedbacks from others so that I could in some ways convince myself that the money has been well spent...Really I do believe this unit is worthwhile if I had some gears that would make the best out of it. It is just that I am not ready for it as yet and when I ever become ready, there will be either huge price drop in VP30 or newer model will come out or new A/V receivers will do the scaling also.

I know I sound very pessimistic about the unit but this is just my first experience and I really do hope some of you experts can take me to a brave new world.

It seems there is a fix for 1080i issue from reading 59pages of AVS forum. I have sent an email to Josh from DVDO to see if I could get a hold of the fix as it has not yet been posted onto their web site.

Also I find people have similar opinions as I have posted. Whether u get the most of VP30 depends on your current gear and what's coming around the corner. I have only 1 HDMI connection on my Fuji and getting a HDMI hub itself is not a cheap option either so I hope to get the maximum benefit out of VP30 in time when PS3 is released... I guess..

Aussie,

Have you pixel matched the Fuji?. If not, you're defeating the purpose of the VP30.

I've had no trouble with 1080i @ 50hZ out of a LG STB. Any problems I've encounted have been incorrect setup rather than bugs. Even the remote sensitivity problem mentioned on avsforum is fine with my unit.

Aussie,

Have you pixel matched the Fuji?. If not, you're defeating the purpose of the VP30.

I've had no trouble with 1080i @ 50hZ out of a LG STB. Any problems I've encounted have been incorrect setup rather than bugs. Even the remote sensitivity problem mentioned on avsforum is fine with my unit.

Hopefully you've just got finger trouble Aussie. My Strong HD STB 5400 works just fine on 1080i 50 Hz. See my earlier post re all of that. The VP30 is even better than the HD+ in its signal processing - smoother with less noise yet sharper pictures. Fantastic machine, well worth every cent. But you must pixel match your display, otherwise the VP30 just becomes a nice but expensive A/V hub. If you have not done so already, use the checkerboard pattern test pattern procedure on page 33-35 of the manual to test that you have indeed chosen the correct display settings for your panel.

Phil.

Aussie you need to have a good read and consideration of what a scaler is doing and how it is helping. It sounds strange to buy such a beautiful peice of equipment just to leave your video plugged via COMPOSITE because it's more convenient!

Firstly you want to set the scaler to output a native pixel match, or thereabouts.

On the DVD 480i is American standard format you want to scale and deinterlace 576i from your DVD player to the native match of your progressive display.

On the STB keep at it or test it scaling SD (576i) once again to a pixel map to your display.

I have seen this downscaling 1080i/50Hz from a DGTEC yesterday so can also confirm what the others are saying about it just being AUSID specific.

Let me say though that downscaling 1080/50i is like getting an elephant to tow your bicycle, the scaler is better placed scaling and deinterlacing 576i or so images to your native pixel map. On this the purpose of the VP30 is not around the corner, it's very much NOW. It is best used to scale all of your SD stuff (DVD/DTV Material/Video stuff) now. As the new NATIVE 1080 stuff becomes available the VP30 will be less useful as it'll just be deinterlacing for you and slightly downscaling.

Keep at it mate these are great units and extremely useful when used properly.

I have seen this downscaling 1080i/50Hz from a DGTEC yesterday so can also confirm what the others are saying about it just being AUSID specific.

Keep at it mate these are great units and extremely useful when used properly.

The only thought that comes to mind here, thinking about the AUSID in particular, is that the AUSID has video ANALOG component out only, it does not have a digital output. My Strong is using its DIGITAL DVI output to the VP30 - I have not tried feeding the VP30 with an analog component input at 1080i 50 Hz - only 576i 50Hz. For the AUSID, I would ONLY use the 576i output setting. Using 1080i defeats the purpose of having the VP30. This means of course that the AUSID will be downscaling HD 1080i transmissions inside it before outputting it at 576i. That's why I say that you get a better picture on SD and then have the VP30 do the de-interlacing and upscaling to the native resolution of your display. This is a better route than having the broadcaster upscale the SD image for you and then transmit it to you on HD at 1080i. Now your display has to downscale it again (to its internal native resolution) and de-interlace it as well. Adds to the overall processing of the signal quite a lot with consequent loss in PQ. Yes, I know there are some caveats here, but for the purposes of this post I will omit them. Suffice to say that you still need a good Set Top Box (SD or HD), so you've not wasted your money on the AUSID Aussie.

The reason that the AUSID looks better on your display on HD (without using the VP30), is that your display electronics (scalars) are not as good at de-interlacing and upscaling as the broadcaster's. Now that you have a VP30, the whole ball game changes. You are now in the driving seat. You can now do a better job at the de-interlacong and upscaling than either your display or the broadcaster. Moreover, the VP30 can match exactly your display's resolution, thereby taking your display scalars right out of the loop. But, unless you set the VP30 to EXACTLY, I'll say it again, EXACTLY match your diplay's native resolution, the display's scalars will come into play again, and you will loose some PQ. Hope this helped you a bit in knowing what is needed to get the best out of your VP30.

Phil.

Edited by JPP

My only question is that Kordz HDMI cable mentions that the cable is capable of upto 1080p for HD and 8 audio channels transmissions but the one that Shelby sells mentions nothing about the audio channels and the HD picture of upto 1080i so would this be the difference or is it something I do not need to worry about as all HDMI cables share the same specs and capability but only the difference in the quality of the copper inside....hmmmm???

There is HDMI, HDMI 1.1 and soon to be HDMI 1.3 (for HD-DVD/Blu- Ray etc).