Sign in to follow this  
Duff Man

Direct Cabling with IQ for extra TV's instead of an AV Sender

Hi Peoples,

I'm currently using an AV sender with my IQ in a new house and the quality is absolute shite. Used to work fine in my other place but the distances are now greater.

I've read on a few other posts about this but would really appreciate if anyone could explain how this is done.

I've got a guy from Mr Antenna coming on Saturday for a quote and would like to really know what I'm talking about when he gets here.

My direct connection is into the lounge room.

I would then like to have a connection into the missus' " spare time " room :blink: and also one into the bedroom.

Do they run a spiltter off the foxtel connection and really.... is any of this at all possible and if so what would the quality be like?

I also know I'll have to get a remote sender thingy majingy mabob but what are these called and are there any recommendations for one of these also?

Cheers

Matt

Matt what you do is run a coax lead from the" RF out" on the back of fox box back up the wall into the roof, ,on the end of that coax you put a splitter and then connect that to the splitter in your roof (which i persume you have to send a tv signal to your other rooms) .then all you do is go to the rooms where the tv's are and tune them in( like you do for a video channel eg.ch1) and fox will be there(just as clear as in original room).All rooms will have the same picture but if for example you have it thru to your bedroom ,if you want to change the fox channels you will need a remote sender like the one in the link.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...x=&SUBCATID=254

Edited by wheelz

Hi Peoples,

I'm currently using an AV sender with my IQ in a new house and the quality is absolute shite. Used to work fine in my other place but the distances are now greater.

I've read on a few other posts about this but would really appreciate if anyone could explain how this is done.

I've got a guy from Mr Antenna coming on Saturday for a quote and would like to really know what I'm talking about when he gets here.

My direct connection is into the lounge room.

I would then like to have a connection into the missus' " spare time " room :blink: and also one into the bedroom.

Do they run a spiltter off the foxtel connection and really.... is any of this at all possible and if so what would the quality be like?

I also know I'll have to get a remote sender thingy majingy mabob but what are these called and are there any recommendations for one of these also?

Cheers

Matt

It can be done. however you will only be able to get coax (antenna) quality to the other TVs.

What you have to do is ensure that the antenna out (from the Foxtel box) is connected to the splitter in the roof (via the input) and then splits to the other TVs!

Something else to consider is going from your Foxtel IQ box to your VCR then to the splitter! That way you can watch the VCR on all the other TVs also! ( I know you have an IQ, but its great when you want to play the old kiddy VHS tapes for them in the other room, whilst your free to watch the BIG TV!)

read my post here!

Hope this has been helpful!

Edited by GLO

with regards to the splitter ,i imagine now that you have the tv antena on the roof going to a splitter which then goes off to all the other rooms.now you just get a 2way splitter and use it the reverse way so that at the double end you connect the end that comes from the antena and also the end that comes from the back of the fox box then you just conect the sigle end to the original splitter and its done,just tune in tvs

hope i didnt confuse you, its easy and im sure the antena guy should be on the ball.they did mine no problem (charged $80 said it was the same cost as putting in one extra tv point.)

Hi Matt,

just had my IQ installed today and you're right the AV senders are rubbish, I've got one as well.

But I ran 3x RG6 cables (using 3x RCA compression connectors for best connection on each end)from my IQ box to my bedroom (approx 15m) and hooked them up to my LCD TV.

On the IQ box there are 3x outputs, 2x scart 1x RCA.

TV scart = TV

VCR Scart = DVD/HDD Recorder

RCA = Bedroom TV

I've also seen Audio/Video selector which have 4 inputs and 2 outputs.

Where you could use 1x for IQ and perhaps 1x for DVD and the 2x outputs can be cabled to the spare room and bedroom. At least the picture quality will be better than through RF (only mono sound).

Hope that is helpful for your problem.

Thanks peoples :blink:

I overlooked that other thread which goes into it with quite some depth.

I experimented with running a lead from the RF out of the IQ direct to another tv and it worked a treat.

Hopefully the guy coming around for the quote on Saturday can just use the already installed outlets in the 2 rooms I want hooked up and can feed the IQ signal into them. I don't see why not..... fingers crossed.

Does anyone know " roughly " what this may cost??

Cheers

Matt

Thanks peoples :blink:

I overlooked that other thread which goes into it with quite some depth.

I experimented with running a lead from the RF out of the IQ direct to another tv and it worked a treat.

Hopefully the guy coming around for the quote on Saturday can just use the already installed outlets in the 2 rooms I want hooked up and can feed the IQ signal into them. I don't see why not..... fingers crossed.

Does anyone know " roughly " what this may cost??

Cheers

Matt

Just dont make it sound complicated, cause if you do then its just a reason for them to charge you more, cause you think its difficult.

I suggest that you draw it up on paper! that way its kept real simple.

Matt they charged me $80,as i said earlier,they charged it as "connecting one extra tv point"

Matt they charged me $80,as i said earlier,they charged it as "connecting one extra tv point"

Sorry about that..... I did read the earlier price and went to edit my post but was too tired.... my bad.

I did this myself when the video sender I purchased couldnt give me a clear enough signal.

I went to jay car and bought 20m of 3 core cable and 2 RCA face plates (video, left/right audio). I ran the cable from the lounge room where my IQ is, into the living room where my second tv is. I then soldered the cable to the 3 RCA inputs on each end and fixed the face plates to the wall. I then plugged the RCA outputs from the IQ into the faceplate on one end and then on the other end from the face plate into the tv. I am now able to watch foxtel in the other room and the picture quality is great (it's only a 51cm tv).

Later on I then got another tv for the bedroom, went and purchased another 10m of cable and a 3rd faceplate and ran it from the IQ faceplate to the bedroom. I just soldered the second cable onto the first on the IQ end, effectively splitting the signal. Fortunately there was no noticable loss in quality.

I'd have preferred to use a video sender, cos it was alot of work running the cable through the roof, drilling holes etc, but I am really happy with the end result. I can even watch recorded programs in the other two rooms. Only downside is I cant change channels.

I did this myself when the video sender I purchased couldnt give me a clear enough signal.

I went to jay car and bought 20m of 3 core cable and 2 RCA face plates (video, left/right audio). I ran the cable from the lounge room where my IQ is, into the living room where my second tv is. I then soldered the cable to the 3 RCA inputs on each end and fixed the face plates to the wall. I then plugged the RCA outputs from the IQ into the faceplate on one end and then on the other end from the face plate into the tv. I am now able to watch foxtel in the other room and the picture quality is great (it's only a 51cm tv).

Later on I then got another tv for the bedroom, went and purchased another 10m of cable and a 3rd faceplate and ran it from the IQ faceplate to the bedroom. I just soldered the second cable onto the first on the IQ end, effectively splitting the signal. Fortunately there was no noticable loss in quality.

I'd have preferred to use a video sender, cos it was alot of work running the cable through the roof, drilling holes etc, but I am really happy with the end result. I can even watch recorded programs in the other two rooms. Only downside is I cant change channels.

The cable guy is going to install it on Tuesday for 80 buckeroonies. Thanks to everyone for tips on all of this.

Caracarn...... If you've still got your AV sender DON"T throw it out. I just made a dick of myself in front of the missus. Here's why. :blink:

I just ran a long tempory cable until Tuesday to the GF's sun room and told her she won't be able to change channels until we buy a remote sender.

After giving me the evil eye she picks up the remote anyway and walla...... the channel changes.

I'm standing there looking confused and like a dickhead until I realised I had still left the AV Sender plugged in. Sure it's not receiving or sending video anymore on the AV1 channel but it still works brilliantly as an IR remote sender.

I like it better when the missus smiles :P

She just saved me forking out another $80

The IQ box has 2 RF outs on the back. One of them sends a 9v current. You can buy Sky+ Digilink units and place these on the back of the RF cable which goes into your second tv.

However, Mine have stopped working. Could Foxtel remotely switch off via updating the firmware this option??

I called Foxtel, naturally the girl who answered had no idea what I was talking about. About 10 minutes later she came back from speaking to a tech. He of course said they do not support it bla bla bla, but she went on to say that the tech could not see how or why a firmware update would stop the 9v current going through.

TV Link - Foxtel to multiple rooms

This is a link to the companies website, I bought the 2 units (plus addtional Sky+ remote) from ebay.

i have austar hooked up via av cords from the back of the stb to 3 other tv's in the house and a direct link to the main tv

pq is fine on all tv's

I called Foxtel, naturally the girl who answered had no idea what I was talking about. About 10 minutes later she came back from speaking to a tech. He of course said they do not support it bla bla bla, but she went on to say that the tech could not see how or why a firmware update would stop the 9v current going through.

Check the installer menu (In 'System Settings' press 0, 6, 1, 1, Select, keys in quick sequence). There's an option in there to switch the power on and off on the second RF output.